Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation - Prequel Comic #4 [Official Talkback Thread]

He-Man historian

Masters of the Universe Revelation - Prequel Comic #4 [Official Talkback Thread]

Prequel comic by Dark Horse for
    MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE REVELATION

**SPOILERS**
    Issue #4 (of 4)

Release date: October 20th, 2021 (originally solicited for Oct. 13th, but was delayed)

Story by: Kevin Smith, Rob David
    Script by: Tim Sheridan
    Art by: Mindy Lee
    Color by: Rico Renzi
    Cover A (regular) by: Dave Wilkins
    Cover B (variant) by: Arthur Adams

In this final issue He-Man and Teela confront Skeletor about the destructive Orlax monster he unleashed and demand his help in a story that leads directly to the opening episode of the the new Netflix show written by Kevin Smith!

Regular cover by Dave Wilkins

Variant cover by Arthur Adams

SPOILERS
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    Any idea who that person is on the last page?

Heroic Warrior
    Well that was better than the last two issues, given that it teases developments that will unfold in the second half of the series. Teela was still pretty unbearable when she was dealing with the secrecy, but you have to tie that into the 'drama' of Revelation somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Any idea who that person is on the last page?
    Teela in her Sorceress form.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; October 20, 2021 at 02:03pm.

It's so weird coming back to this MOTU dimension after being so entrenched within the newest CG one (I've watched those 10 episodes about 10 times now). Okay, gotta take off my MOTU:CG hat and put back on my MOTU:R one.

I still really love this cover. The issue itself... eh. I get the point of it all, but it feels like just going through the motions. After finishing the issue, the CG MOTU end credits song played in my head reminding me how much I'd rather have more story tie-ins to THAT version instead.

So yeah, I don't hate Revelation... I get what it's doing and it's nice to have more MOTU entertainment options. But splitting the season in half and releasing the parts so far from each other was a huge mistake, killing the initial momentum it had (at least for me). This tie-in comic was a decent idea, but I wish there was MORE to it.
    Tweeterhead 1/5 Legends Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Just read the issue, it felt a little disjointed, but it actually was good at setting up Revelation on Netflix. I think this issue is what we should have seen play out on screen in Revelation, it would have given so much more meaning to Teela's actions and motivations! I do wonder though if

Teela is a clone of The Sorceress
    in this canon/timeline? That would be very interesting, also it could be used to explain why Teela is so hesitant to find out the truth about herself.

I don't care for the treatment of Skeletor in this comic, not the retcon of Skeletor's orgins (erasing Keldor basically) All in all, this should have been played out on the Netflix show and not in comic format where many people would not be able to access it. Mattel goofed on this one.

Decent artwork though, especially Teela in most panels.

Retro rocket comics here I come. Not holding my breath for this issue but here's hoping it closes the series nicely.

How did Evil Lyn know that He-Man was Adam?

Quote Originally Posted by Feezle View Post
    And why she dont tell Skeletor?
    Lord Hordak

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Well that was better than the last two issues, given that it teases developments that will unfold in the second half of the series. Teela was still pretty unbearable when she was dealing with the secrecy, but you have to tie that into the 'drama' of Revelation somehow.

Teela in her Sorceress form.
    Oh yeah, I can see that!

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Feezle View Post
    She has been in mind meld connection with Orlax on and off. Orlax has connection to Grayskull. That seems how Skeletor discovered that Castle Grayskull is transfigured shape from Hall of Wisdom.
    So I could see that Evil-Lyn might discover things too.
    In an earlier issue Skeletor even questioned what did she see. Meaning he doesn’t see the same things.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Ok so I just finished issue four. What the hell just happened at that ending? The orlax warning us about Evil Lyn becoming the new sorceress like she did in the DC comics by Rob David? So confused...

After seeing What Sorceress did, she and MMA had everything that happened in revelations coming.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfan87 View Post
    After seeing What Sorceress did, she and MMA had everything that happened in revelations coming.
    Yeah, also you could chalk up all of Teela's behaviour to long-form mental damage too.

It'd probably have served the first five episodes better if the flashbacks were all built from events in this issue...but who knows, maybe they could be saving that for the next five episodes since they will obviously tie in closer with Teela's powers awakening.

Another big difference in this 'spiritual' successor to the original series, Teela doesn't give consent to have her memories altered, everyone just sort of goes along with taking the agency out of her hands. Made for a thoroughly unpleasant moment.

I liked that she was so worried about Adam and his whereabouts.

Another big difference in this 'spiritual' successor to the original series, Teela doesn't give consent to have her memories altered, everyone just sort of goes along with taking the agency out of her hands. Made for a thoroughly unpleasant moment.

I'd never in a million years believe Filmation He-man would allow this to happen even once.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I'd never in a million years believe Filmation He-man would allow this to happen even once.
    Your right. The interior artist is mediocre as well. The covers are amazing! Now that captures motu to me and I loved it!

Yeah, also you could chalk up all of Teela's behaviour to long-form mental damage too.

It'd probably have served the first five episodes better if the flashbacks were all built from events in this issue...but who knows, maybe they could be saving that for the next five episodes since they will obviously tie in closer with Teela's powers awakening.

But isn't this what happened with Adora back in Secret of the Sword? Didn't the Sorceress already mind-wipe folks after Adora had been kidnapped by the Horde? So unless I'm mis-remembering things, this is already in character for her, you could say. I didn't exactly find it to be shocking behavior.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

There's sooo much wrong with this whole scenario. Unless we're being left in the dark because the show hasn't aired yet and it's a huge spoiler for Revelations 2nd half.
    And yeah there's no version of He man that would let sorceress just wipe away magical flare ups.
    I'm thinking it's a Dark Phoenix kind of thing where Teelas won't be able to control her Magical side, but even with that they are digging into something they probably shouldn't with only ten episodes in the series to tell the whole story. Man it's going to be a long month.
    Last edited by smanomega; October 22, 2021 at 04:09pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    But isn't this what happened with Adora back in Secret of the Sword? Didn't the Sorceress already mind-wipe folks after Adora had been kidnapped by the Horde? So unless I'm mis-remembering things, this is already in character for her, you could say. I didn't exactly find it to be shocking behavior.
    In character for her, yes, but Filmation still had Teela's consent before she did it. With Adora the circumstances were different. It's everyone else just casually going along with it that raises urgent eyebrows...like this is just casual Wednesday for them.

In character for her, yes, but Filmation still had Teela's consent before she did it. With Adora the circumstances were different. It's everyone else just casually going along with it that raises urgent eyebrows...like this is just casual Wednesday for them.
    But again, I might be wrong but in Teela's Quest, when she visited the Oracle and he told her that the Sorceress was her mother, it's not like Teela told her "oh sure, go ahead and wipe this memory. That's fine!" Unless I'm totally mis-remembering these episodes.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Heroic Warrior
    But again, I might be wrong but in Teela's Quest, when she visited the Oracle and he told her that the Sorceress was her mother, it's not like Teela told her "oh sure, go ahead and wipe this memory. That's fine!" Unless I'm totally mis-remembering these episodes.
    Yeah I just checked out the end of the episode and the Sorceress just wiped her memory. Teela never asked her to do it and Adam was there when she did it.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Yeah I just checked out the end of the episode and the Sorceress just wiped her memory. Teela never asked her to do it and Adam was there when she did it.
    Yes... this whole scene was something that parallels events from the Filmation show. It immediately reminded me of Teela's Quest.

As I said before, the writers did their homework... they have a lot of admiration for the world / lore of MOTU.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    As I said before, the writers did their homework... they have a lot of admiration for the world / lore of MOTU.
    A pity they don't show it.

Maybe 'consent' was the wrong word....but she didn't put up much resistance when it happened either.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; October 23, 2021 at 05:30am.

A pity they don't show it.

Maybe 'consent' was the wrong word....but she didn't put up much resistance when it happened either.
    So even when the show does EXACTLY what it's "source" material does they're doing it wrong. Nice good to clarify that....

There was as much consent in Teelas quest as a gunpoint rape... Good old wholesome Filmation being ruined by that imposter Revelations....

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    So even when the show does EXACTLY what it's "source" material does they're doing it wrong. Nice good to clarify that....
    Yeah that's a bit of head-scratcher to me, too

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah that's a bit of head-scratcher to me, too
    Not that hard, Filmation handled it with a bit of warmth and grace, Revelations handles it with the wrong tone entirely. Don't want to say what it comes across as, but you get the general gist if you're the right age.