Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation - Prequel Comic #4 [Official Talkback Thread]

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Not that hard, Filmation handled it with a bit of warmth and grace, Revelations handles it with the wrong tone entirely. Don't want to say what it comes across as, but you get the general gist if you're the right age.
    Filmation be like, " Oh by the way Teela I'm your mother, I wanted to be here in person so I could tell you. Also so I could do this...." ZAP! mind wipe problem solved...

Yeah, also you could chalk up all of Teela's behaviour to long-form mental damage too.

It'd probably have served the first five episodes better if the flashbacks were all built from events in this issue...but who knows, maybe they could be saving that for the next five episodes since they will obviously tie in closer with Teela's powers awakening.

Another big difference in this 'spiritual' successor to the original series, Teela doesn't give consent to have her memories altered, everyone just sort of goes along with taking the agency out of her hands. Made for a thoroughly unpleasant moment.

I liked that she was so worried about Adam and his whereabouts.
    Cameron, I don't like revelations, ethier. But teela never gave her conset in the orginal show, Adam just stood by and let it happen. Of course Teela didn't fight back in filmation, she barely had time to process this info, and Sorceress stepped forward and flushed her memory in a quick move before she had tine to react. And Adam just stands there and cracks a joke about 'keping another secret'. Filmation took away her agency, just like the sorceress took away everyone's agency in regards to the horde war, wiping a whole event from a planet's memory on a whim.

I don't carehow much filmation fans try to justify that plot point being for some 'greater good', the mindwipe plot point was a terrible addition by Lou's writers then, and it's a terrible plot point now. If Teela subconsiously rembers all these mindwipes, then yeah I see why she's reacting this way.

A pity they don't show it.
    Well... things are kinda hard to see when your eyes are closed.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Well... things are kinda hard to see when your eyes are closed.
    Yea there were alot of Easter eggs. They knew exactly what they were doing , that is why there is a backlash and not with the CGI or 200x. I enjoyed episodes 1 and 5 because He-man was there. ( ok HE-Men and one Flea-Man.)
    He-Man was only in flashbacks in the rest unfortunately. That's ok .. a little sizzle. But when ep 10 comes to an end, we will find out how the show is. But I don't see how they can cram that much in 5 ep. New adventures has a nice arc. This Rev is just to abridged.
    Last edited by Baba1983; October 24, 2021 at 05:50pm.

In Teela's quest she find out who here mother is and then has that memory immediately wiped. He-man stands by. Only he knows the secret.

In Revelations, she asking a ton of questions, has a power flow through her, and gets time to think about what has happened. And then they wipe her. Everyone. They're all in on it. The worst part? It's obvious they've done this to her multiple times!

In both cases she obviously knows something is going on and wants to know about it. Taking it away from her without her consent is horrible.

She can never know about her destiny because it will keep her safe. Instead, let's make her Captain of the guard and send her into all kinds of danger.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

I know they were not going to fit exactly, but even being a prequel, I feel there is some disconection between the comic and the show that really push me back.
    In the first episode, when they arrive to the Castle, the way MAA talks to The Sorceress ans the look The Sorceress gave Teela, made me think they hadn't see each other in very long time. It's, in some way, adorable.
    On the contrary, Teela's mind erasing is portrayed in the comic as a common occurrence, too casual, and it seems they are being all toghether all the time. The king talking about her promotion indicates that the end of the comic and the first episode are really close on time. I like more the way it feels in the show.
    On the other hand I really love to see Skeletor and Evil-Lyn (I liked her story much better than his) and they interactions are something I'll never get tired of.

Heroic Warrior
    I wonder if Kevin Smith got inspired by that comic Identity Crisis? Where the Justice League mind wiped first a villain and then Batman as a coverup.

I found it pretty harsh and seemingly intentionally over the top reaction that Teela reacted so badly to finding out that Adam was He-Man, but I've been wondering, if her whole point was that she was upset about being lied to, wouldn't we expect her to also react badly to finding out about the Sorceress. It would seem that that is the same thing except actually worse.

Initially I thought maybe that they would use it to show Teela's growth, that she took the He-Man reveal badly but when the Sorceress reveal comes she will put her feelings aside and work towards the greater good? But with this backstory, that seems kind of doubtful?

But exactly what can they do with it, except have her throw another fit and run off angrily again? I joked that maybe Teela would join the villains for a while, but that doesn't seem very in character for Revelations Teela either.

I initially had a feeling that the point of Teela going through a big emotional journey after finding out she was lied to about Adam being He-Man, was to kind of get it out of her system so that by the time she found out she was Sorceress's daughter she'd kind of be more ready for it.

But who knows? Starting to kind of doubt that.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior
    That line from Teela about what's the point of power if you don't use it, it did sound like a potential beginning for a semi-villainous motivation. Or at least being tempted.

However, Revelation Teela just strikes me as too stubborn, I just can't picture her getting along with Skeletor and Evil-Lyn for 5 minutes without clashing with them.

Maybe if there was some other villain or villainess who came on the scene saying they have a better strategy for fighting Skeletor, then I could picture Teela being tempted.

However, if Kevin Smith was thinking about anything along those lines, then something like this really shouldn't be hidden away in a preview comic.

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Another big difference in this 'spiritual' successor to the original series, Teela doesn't give consent to have her memories altered, everyone just sort of goes along with taking the agency out of her hands. Made for a thoroughly unpleasant moment.

I liked that she was so worried about Adam and his whereabouts.
    I'd never in a million years believe Filmation He-man would allow this to happen even once.
    This is my bone of contention right here, and a microcosm of the frustratingly incorrect criticism being directed to Revelation since it's release:

People who are unfamiliar with the Filmation Series are often the ones declaring Revelation is different from the Filmation series.

From Teela's irrational behavior, to her quiting against Randor's wishes, to this mind wipe without Teela's consent (with precedent in probably what's considered a top-5 beloved episode). People need to rewatch the entire Filmation series before making such declarations.
    Last edited by Voodoo Magic; October 28, 2021 at 09:42am.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    This is my bone of contention right here, and a microcosm of the frustratingly incorrect criticism being directed to Revelation since it's release:

People who are unfamiliar with the Filmation Series are often the ones declaring Revelation is different from the Filmation series.

From Teela's irrational behavior, to her quiting against Randor's wishes, to this mind wipe without Teela's consent (with precedent in probably what's considered a top-5 beloved episode). People need to rewatch the entire Filmation series before making such declarations.
    I went back and watched the Filmation version before making my comment. I'd suggest you do the same and tell me why making Teela forget the Sorceress is her mother (something only the Soceress knew prior) is the same as mind wiping Teela after she displays powers and asks questions multiple times by ALL her friends. Who knows how many times this has happened when He-man comments "You say that every time". Who knows what all memories have been stolen?

How many times are you allowed to mind wipe someone for their protection? Things they want to know and you steal that from them over and over?

I went back and watched the Filmation version before making my comment. I'd suggest you do the same and tell me why making Teela forget the Sorceress is her mother (something only the Soceress knew prior) is the same as mind wiping Teela after she displays powers and asks questions multiple times by ALL her friends. Who knows how many times this has happened when He-man comments "You say that every time". Who knows what all memories have been stolen?

How many times are you allowed to mind wipe someone for their protection? Things they want to know and you steal that from them over and over?
    Cameron said: Teela doesn't give consent to have her memories altered, everyone just sort of goes along with taking the agency out of her hands .

You said: I'd never in a million years believe Filmation He-man would allow this to happen even once.

Yet, in Teela's Quest, Sorceress altered Teela's newly acquired memory without her consent, while He-Man and Battle Cat watched. Teela's permission was not asked.

There's no other way to look at this. I'm just glad someone pointed it out after you guys posted this because I was late reading the comic (read it today). And this is not meant to call out you or anyone specifically, but claims have been made regularly where Revelation, this 'for adults' followup to the Filmation series, changes so much especially with Teela - when it actually respects the Filmation character much and gives it more of an adult realistic focus.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Heroic Warrior
    Reading this so close to the trailer for part 2 coming out, I noticed that in the trailer

it appears that Teela is the one who heals Adam with the powers? Though that could always be a misdirect and it just looks like it's her.
    , I found that really interesting since in this issue Teela's magical connection results in healing somebody. Makes this issue feel very connected to the show.

Cameron said: Teela doesn't give consent to have her memories altered, everyone just sort of goes along with taking the agency out of her hands .

You said: I'd never in a million years believe Filmation He-man would allow this to happen even once.

Yet, in Teela's Quest, Sorceress altered Teela's newly acquired memory without her consent, while He-Man and Battle Cat watched. Teela's permission was not asked.

There's no other way to look at this. I'm just glad someone pointed it out after you guys posted this because I was late reading the comic (read it today). And this is not meant to call out you or anyone specifically, but claims have been made regularly where Revelation, this 'for adults' followup to the Filmation series, changes so much especially with Teela - when it actually respects the Filmation character much and gives it more of an adult realistic focus.
    Well first, to be fair, Filmation He-man didn't know what the Sorceress was about to do.

And second, wiping a single secret away is much different than wiping a sequence of events. Especially when all your friends are involved.

Well first, to be fair, Filmation He-man didn't know what the Sorceress was about to do.
    Well He-Man sure looked smiley afterwards, cracking a joke about keeping secrets.

And second, wiping a single secret away is much different than wiping a sequence of events. Especially when all your friends are involved.
    One memory, three friends? More memories, more friends? You had to be cracking a smile while typing that though right? It's like me and my brother getting caught sneaking cookies when we were kids and me saying he's worse because he ate more!

Let's just say there was a sequence of events wiped out in both situations. The Oracle's conversation with Teela. The history of Teela as a baby seen in the orb. Teela's conversation with the Sorceress subsequently after. Heck, possibly the whole quest was wiped too. We don’t know.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

One memory, three friends? More memories, more friends? You had to be cracking a smile while typing that though right? It's like me and my brother getting caught sneaking cookies when we were kids and me saying he's worse because he ate more!

Let's just say there was a sequence of events wiped out in both situations. The Oracle's conversation with Teela. The history of Teela as a baby seen in the orb. Teela's conversation with the Sorceress subsequently after. Heck, possibly the whole quest was wiped too. We don’t know.
    To me the biggest thing then is the reaction of the people doing it. Do they seem pleased? Or does it come off like they wish they didn't have to do it?

To me the biggest thing then is the reaction of the people doing it. Do they seem pleased? Or does it come off like they wish they didn't have to do it?
    Not pleased at all. It's pretty messed up in any situation, Filmation, Revelation or otherwise ... but they're almost acting like it's a necessary evil... like Teela is destined to be the Dark Sorceress... Eternia's version of X-Men 3's Dark Phoenix where Professor X is trying to keep her and her dark destiny suppressed.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Not pleased at all. It's pretty messed up in any situation, Filmation, Revelation or otherwise ... but they're almost acting like it's a necessary evil... like Teela is destined to be the Dark Sorceress... Eternia's version of X-Men 3's Dark Phoenix where Professor X is trying to keep her and her dark destiny suppressed.
    Maybe because she' is destined to be the serpent goddess and begin the return of the Snake men? To help with the Horde invasion?

Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    Maybe because she' is destined to be the serpent goddess and begin the return of the Snake men? To help with the Horde invasion?
    Now that would be interesting... I don't recall too many details about this from Filmation, but all that's really said--as I remember--is that Teela is destined to take her place as guardian of Grayskull, right? Or was there more.

If it was ever said that she was destined to be the NEXT sorceress, then that might be a problem for Revelation, since it looks like Evil-Lyn is the NEXT. Not that I'm saying it would really be a problem for me... just with continuity with Filmation, which I'm okay with or without.

Anyway, what you suggested about the serpent goddess... now that would be an incredible twist that I would love to see.

That's a rough translation of what happens in the comics you've been told about by I believe Dave 81 or someone else they're really, really, good by the end. Story wise anyways.....

Heroic Warrior
    BTW seeing how tightly the comic and the show seem linked, what do you make of the monologing from Orlax at the end?

It begins with an ending, the end of innocence, the end of light.

And that being juxtaposed against them taking Teela's memories. And them sort of setting up the idea that all of Teela's memories are trapped in the castle? Meaning it's basically setting up a situation where that stuff can break and Teela can get a whiff of just how often they took her memories? That seems a pretty big contrast to how Teela looks in the trailer, where she seems pretty calm and dedicated about trying to harness her magic powers (especially since within the show they have set her up as favoring technology over magic and as having a history of getting upset about being lied to).

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by King Daddy Bo-Hog View Post
    Now that would be interesting... I don't recall too many details about this from Filmation, but all that's really said--as I remember--is that Teela is destined to take her place as guardian of Grayskull, right? Or was there more.

If it was ever said that she was destined to be the NEXT sorceress, then that might be a problem for Revelation, since it looks like Evil-Lyn is the NEXT. Not that I'm saying it would really be a problem for me... just with continuity with Filmation, which I'm okay with or without.

Anyway, what you suggested about the serpent goddess... now that would be an incredible twist that I would love to see.
    It's not necessarily a case of linear-next-sorceress.

As the recent DC Comics, they showed that there can be multiple Sorceresses at the same time.

For Revelation. Teela by no means is not destined to become snake goddess. The comic and cartoon have shown Teela associated with bird themed imagery.

Also. The Sorceress of Grayskull has been widely always linked to bird motif. From cartoon to newspaper strips as I recall.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    It's not necessarily a case of linear-next-sorceress.

As the recent DC Comics, they showed that there can be multiple Sorceresses at the same time.

For Revelation. Teela by no means is not destined to become snake goddess. The comic and cartoon have shown Teela associated with bird themed imagery.

Also. The Sorceress of Grayskull has been widely always linked to bird motif. From cartoon to newspaper strips as I recall.
    I'm going to argue just for the sake of arguing. Linear or not, multiple at the same time or not, next still means next.

If the current Sorceress is Sorceress then Evil-lyn usurps her, and while she is still Sorceress Teela becomes Sorceress, Evil-Lyn was STILL the next following the original Sorceress.

But this assumes, of course, that Evil-Lyn takes the place of Sorceress or Grayskull before Teela does--which is what is presented in the trailer, even if its not actually true in the show that way.

Also, unless you have some inside knowledge of Revelation, nothing else you really said means anything. Just because its 'always' been a certain way doesn't mean Revelation will or even has to do it that way. Yeah, they probably will, but you don't know that.

Quote Originally Posted by King Daddy Bo-Hog View Post
    I'm going to argue just for the sake of arguing. Linear or not, multiple at the same time or not, next still means next.

If the current Sorceress is Sorceress then Evil-lyn usurps her, and while she is still Sorceress Teela becomes Sorceress, Evil-Lyn was STILL the next following the original Sorceress.

But this assumes, of course, that Evil-Lyn takes the place of Sorceress or Grayskull before Teela does--which is what is presented in the trailer, even if its not actually true in the show that way.

Also, unless you have some inside knowledge of Revelation, nothing else you really said means anything. Just because its 'always' been a certain way doesn't mean Revelation will or even has to do it that way. Yeah, they probably will, but you don't know that.
    It could just be that teelas specifically the destined " next" sorceress of zoar , evil Lynne being the sorceress of " horokoth" would have different priorities/ responsibilities/motivations etc

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    It could just be that teelas specifically the destined " next" sorceress of zoar , evil Lynne being the sorceress of " horokoth" would have different priorities/ responsibilities/motivations etc

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Quite possible. Like I said, I was just arguing for the sake of arguing. That really doesn't matter; I'm not really that picky.

But on a side note, I hate to be stupid or uninformed, but what is "Horokoth"? I keep seeing that, but I'm not sure of its origin. Was it from the comics or the classics line, or am I just losing brain cells and can't remember?