Thread: Just started Secret Of The Sword

Heroic Warrior

Just started Secret Of The Sword

Haven't watched SOTS for many years and years now

Some interesting things I've noticed so far:

-I always knew that Hordak's voice was a lot more slow and calculating in this movie, but now I've also noticed that Bow's voice is quite different as well. He seems to have more of an accent and he's also a little more articulate as opposed to his usual witty sense of humor portrayal that he has throughout most of the rest of season 1 and 2. I suppose this has to do with George Dicenzo voicing both of them perhaps?

-The Horde Troopers are also voiced quite differently in comparison the rest of both seasons. Also, when they talk, we can hear that sort of electronic sound in behind their voice. Not sure if this continued on in the regular series (maybe a few times early on?)

-Inside Fright Zone in the first episode, we see the space ships fly by in the background behind Hordak's throne. Never saw this again in the entire series. I wonder what that was about?

- At this early stage in the series, DiCenzo was probably experimenting with how he should approach both their voices - more so with Hordak than with Bow. Would've been nice if he had been interviewed about She-Ra before his passing to really know the details.

- The different voices for the Troopers was a holdover from when the Horde Troopers were meant to be living beings inside the armor.

- Probably just a neat visual that the director liked/to show a sense of scale to Hordak's throne.

One of the things I adored about the movie was that it had its own unique scoring, likely just to give the already composed He-Man tracks a more "cinematic" quality. Would've been neat had more of those brass takes been used in the final She-Ra series; only a small handful were.

Court Magician
    Funny how the show couldn't seem to decide if the Troopers were armored soldiers with names and emotions, or robots. When they needed to be destroyed, however, they were conveniently always robots.

Recent DC Comics combined the best of both worlds and made them cyborgs...pretty grotesque ones, if I remember.

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Videofox View Post
    Funny how the show couldn't seem to decide if the Troopers were armored soldiers with names and emotions, or robots. When they needed to be destroyed, however, they were conveniently always robots.

Recent DC Comics combined the best of both worlds and made them cyborgs...pretty grotesque ones, if I remember.
    The Horde Trooper thing is a fun evolution. They clearly started out as soldiers in armor. There is even a storyboard art of He-Man grabbing one Trooper, and as he uses the armor for his disguise, the storyboard showed a tied up dude.

Then there are instances, where the Troopers clearly show to be afraid of things, and whatnot. Which could be a remnant of them being people. Or just writer wanting to add a piece of comedy, so maybe Hordak had them programmed with such feelings, just so he could terrify them.

But the more episodes got made, it was more clear they were robots. Obstacles for She-Ra and He-Man to throw around and destroy.

In modern DC Comics (2012-2016), Rob David and others at Mattel made them Hordak's past victims/slaves, who were turned into demonic looking beings inside the armor, and were hivemind-controlled to boot.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I used to have one of the old MOTU magazines - not the one that came out in America (although I had a few of those, too) but the one that I think came out in the U.K. where it was like half color and half black and white - and in the comic strip story inside they clearly depicted the Horde Troopers as people wearing armor.

Even back then various MOTU canon couldn't keep things straight. Being a kid I was able to reconcile it all in my head rather easily. I don't think I put any more thought into it than, "SOME of them are robots, and some of them are just guys." Whichever the scenario called for!
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Don't forget general sunder and guys like colonel blast . I suppose a good way of making everyone happy would be that the horde have three tiers of trooper , the all out robotic drones ( the UK she ra comic shows the factory that makes them , with a workforce of rebel prisoners ) , coupled with the fact that once hordak invaded a town or village , you either signed up willingly and followed orders like sunder , or got roboticised like cyrax and sektor from mortal Kombat .

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk

Dynasty Masters Universe DynastyMasters's Avatar
    The Horde Troopers were voiced by Lou Scheimer (Erik Gunden).
    DYNASTY AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE
    http://www.dynastyandthemastersofthe...e.blogspot.com

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I used to have one of the old MOTU magazines - not the one that came out in America (although I had a few of those, too) but the one that I think came out in the U.K. where it was like half color and half black and white - and in the comic strip story inside they clearly depicted the Horde Troopers as people wearing armor.
    My personal theory, is that with some books, it stemmed from having info and/or access to early concept art and stories.

Like in one book, that depicts Horde Troopers clearly as people with armor, there is a pic of Grizzlor. And that Grizzlor is essentially based on Mattel's early concept art. Mantenna too.

And for little kids, its easy to see how it would feel like "hey! this doesn't look like the cartoon! what gives!"
    (A similar case is with vintage MOTU minicomics. Often times, when a character appears for the first time, like Sy-Klone, they look closer to an earlier concept illustration of them, rather than the final toy. Just the nature of how far in advance some of the media needs to be made)
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

One of my favourite scenes in Secret Of The Sword is when He-Man rescues Queen Angella and she uses her powers for the first time.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

One thing I found interesting (a change from the He-man cartoon) was that when She-Ra and He-man transformed together, the energy around He-man's sword contained a light blueish colour, and when he pointed his sword to Cringer, it made a sound like a laser pistol shooting.

That was not in the original cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by theAncients View Post
    and when he pointed his sword to Cringer, it made a sound like a laser pistol shooting.

That was not in the original cartoon.

No, it definitely was. Starting with "The Cosmic Comet", that laser effect when He-Man points the sword at Cringer was almost always utilized for every transformation sequence. The only episode I can name off the top of my head where that's not the case is "Diamond Ray of Disappearance."

Quote Originally Posted by medium_pyro View Post
    No, it definitely was. Starting with "The Cosmic Comet", that laser effect when He-Man points the sword at Cringer was almost always utilized for every transformation sequence. The only episode I can name off the top of my head where that's not the case is "Diamond Ray of Disappearance."
    Really ? Ok. I stand corrected then. Haven't seen it in forever.