Thread: Golden era of MOTU

Golden era of MOTU

What do you think is the golden era of MOTU? I'm sure many will still claim vintage as it created the brand and was one of the biggest mainstream pop culture phenomenons of the 80's, but...could a reasonable argument be made for right now perhaps? Think of all the product and merchandise currently available - while I'm sure the absolute sales numbers are nowhere near say, the 1985 vintage peak, the sheer scope and variety that we're getting spoiled with since 2020 quite easily surpasses vintage from a fan perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    What do you think is the golden era of MOTU? I'm sure many will still claim vintage as it created the brand and was one of the biggest mainstream pop culture phenomenons of the 80's, but...could a reasonable argument be made for right now perhaps? Think of all the product and merchandise currently available - while I'm sure the absolute sales numbers are nowhere near say, the 1985 vintage peak, the sheer scope and variety that we're getting spoiled with since 2020 quite easily surpasses vintage from a fan perspective.
    As great as it is now, and was with classics, I don’t think it can ever replicate the 80s. Every freaking kid had these. We lived and breathed he-man for 5 years. Parents were waiting in lines to buy these millions and millions of units were sold world wide.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

I think right now is building up to be the best Era for MOTU. We've got two cartoons going a movie coming and on going comics. Also four toy lines and a host of licensed merchandise.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 11/6/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    I think right now is building up to be the best Era for MOTU. We've got two cartoons going a movie coming and on going comics. Also four toy lines and a host of licensed merchandise.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    And everything that came before!
    ORIGINS Wishlist: Bow & Kowl, Shadow Weaver, Catra, Swift Wind, Cringer, Kobra Khan, Slime Pit He-Man, Talon Fighter & Point Dread, and Snake Mountain.

Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar
    Young me would have said during the original toy line, around the time the Eternia playset came out. I thought then that it must be doing great for them to make such a big playset.

Grouchy old man me now thinks we are in it. Two toy lines for nostalgia--Mega and Origins (one which I personally don't love, but I'm glad it exists), one to draw kids into fandom, and one moving everything forward with new sub-lines on the way. More available product than every before, so much media all at once. For me, this is the Golden Era.

I'll give my typical Wuss-Out answer: I cannot pick just one!!

-NOTHING can compare to being a kid in the 80s, and discovering the fantastic world of MOTU.

-Cut to NOW, and look at all the merch there is! It's a total MOTU renaissance!! No matter what you like or dislike, we have 2 new cartoons, MOTU Origins, MOTU Masterverse, MCX, high-end Mondo figures, CGI cartoon based figures, and probably more stuff that I'm forgetting. There's so many things to choose from!

But let's not forget....

-CLASSICS. Arguably, the very best MOTU line which lasted much longer than the vintage line, and made many, many more characters! It was orignally planned to be 6 characters, but ended up lasting over a decade, and pumping out over 300 figures!

Not to mention...

-200x, which had a great cartoon that some fans prefer over the '21 versions, plus a very unique line of figures that differed slightly, but not too drastically from the originals. Many designs from the cartoon are still desired as figures.

Again, I cannot pick a single era, and opinions will vary with what I said.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; October 28, 2021 at 12:59am.
    Odd Man Out

Right now is an awesome time to be a fan.

The only way it could be better though, would be to re-release a lot more of the old merchandise (with the old school art) like clocks, bed sheets, wallets, ect.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

In for bedsheets
    My wife might kill me, but she does occasionally go out of town…..

Bring back Classics! The All American's Avatar
    1982-1987 when the original line ran. Masters of the Universe ruled the toy shelves and the afternoon cartoon world during the middle of that. I don't see how any other era comes close.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I'll give my typical Wuss-Out answer: I cannot pick just one!!

-NOTHING can compare to being a kid in the 80s, and discovering the fantastic world of MOTU.

-Cut to NOW, and look at all the merch there is! It's a total MOTU renaissance!! No matter what you like or dislike, we have 2 new cartoons, MOTU Origins, MOTU Masterverse, MCX, high-end Mondo figures, CGI cartoon based figures, and probably more stuff that I'm forgetting. There's so many things to choose from!

But let's not forget....

-CLASSICS. Arguably, the very best MOTU line which lasted much longer than the vintage line, and made many, many more characters! It was orignally planned to be 6 figures, and ended up lasting over a decade, and pumping out over 300 figures!

Not to mention...

-200x, which had a great cartoon that some fans prefer over the '21 versions, plus a very unique line of figures that differed slightly, but not too drastically from the originals. Many designs from the cartoon are still desired as figures.

Again, I cannot pick a single era, and opinions will vary with what I said.
    Classics was a fun celebration of all eras, especially the original line. Made me feel like a kid again.

200x was enjoyable for what it was to me.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Right now is an awesome time to be a fan.

The only way it could be better though, would be to re-release a lot more of the old merchandise (with the old school art) like clocks, bed sheets, wallets, ect.
    This is what I see as a deciding factor. Now feels like weak sauce. an attempt to regrab the greatness of the 80's, but honestly most of the shelves are bare. The product just doesn't exist. It's also very 'divided' between the subbrands. Few people like BOTH Revelation stuff AND Origins, AND CGI series. So even with them all on the shelves (when they're their) It's not the smorgasbord that it used to be.

Classics was a good line too, and probably what's stopping me from collecting Origins... but an online subscription is also just a drop in the culture.

The 80's however? Figures FLOODED the stores. Wall to wall Action figures with a HUGE section for MOTU. Clocks, gumballs, stickers, coloring books, clocks, toothbrushes, curtains, lunchboxes, etc. etc. etc. THAT's the golden age. Everything since then has been a pale shadow trying to reclaim the glory. Like when I see Hulk Hogan wrestle in his 50's and 60's... It's fun.. but it's just not the same as seeing them in all their glory.

Heroic Warrior
    right now is the renaissance era

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post
    right now is the renaissance era
    I back this.

I like to compare it to music and when you find a band you like, 9/10 their first album is the measuring stick by which you judge everything after. Everything else you say "well it wasn't as good as the first album" but I really like this band so I can vibe to it and it shows growth/evolution. But sometimes there are albums you just can't get into, but it's ok you can back to the ones you like and look forward to new stuff.
    Instagram: dadhausen

I was a 90s kid, so I never really got into He-Man. But with the advent of Origins? I AM ALL IN. As a new fan, I LOVE the fact that I can find these amazing toys in stores, I can watch He-Man on Netflix....it's really awesome. I don't know if it's a golden era, but just recently I've talked to a bunch of other people around work and stuff and they -know- He-Man is around again with toys, shows, etc.
    SURRENDER TO THE POWER OF POINT DREAD'S TALON FIGHTER!

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    This is what I see as a deciding factor. Now feels like weak sauce. an attempt to regrab the greatness of the 80's, but honestly most of the shelves are bare. The product just doesn't exist. It's also very 'divided' between the subbrands. Few people like BOTH Revelation stuff AND Origins, AND CGI series. So even with them all on the shelves (when they're their) It's not the smorgasbord that it used to be.

Classics was a good line too, and probably what's stopping me from collecting Origins... but an online subscription is also just a drop in the culture.

The 80's however? Figures FLOODED the stores. Wall to wall Action figures with a HUGE section for MOTU. Clocks, gumballs, stickers, coloring books, clocks, toothbrushes, curtains, lunchboxes, etc. etc. etc. THAT's the golden age. Everything since then has been a pale shadow trying to reclaim the glory. Like when I see Hulk Hogan wrestle in his 50's and 60's... It's fun.. but it's just not the same as seeing them in all their glory.
    Times have changed though. I'd love to see the shelves filled with figures like they were in the '80s, but those times are gone. I'm having to adapt myself, as I've been hoping and expecting to find Masterverse figures in the stores. So far, I've only seen Evil-Lyn and Moss Man once in a Target or Walmart. For a while, He-Man and Skeletor even hard to find.

I've adapted now and just expect that I'm going to have to get them online, and I think I'm okay with that. The excitement of finding a new figure in the store is replaced by the excitement of knowing when a figure is going to arrive in the mail. Once its been ordered and on the way, there's a very high probability that its going to arrive.

Really, when considering the internet, figures are far more available than they were in the 80's. Yeah, we might have to pay a little more than retail, but I remember as a kid saving as much money as I could so that if I found a new figure at KB Toys where their prices were inflated, I'd have the cash for it. It wasn't about having to pay a bit more then, and its not now.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by King Daddy Bo-Hog View Post
    Times have changed though. I'd love to see the shelves filled with figures like they were in the '80s, but those times are gone. I'm having to adapt myself, as I've been hoping and expecting to find Masterverse figures in the stores. So far, I've only seen Evil-Lyn and Moss Man once in a Target or Walmart. For a while, He-Man and Skeletor even hard to find.

I've adapted now and just expect that I'm going to have to get them online, and I think I'm okay with that. The excitement of finding a new figure in the store is replaced by the excitement of knowing when a figure is going to arrive in the mail. Once its been ordered and on the way, there's a very high probability that its going to arrive.

Really, when considering the internet, figures are far more available than they were in the 80's. Yeah, we might have to pay a little more than retail, but I remember as a kid saving as much money as I could so that if I found a new figure at KB Toys where their prices were inflated, I'd have the cash for it. It wasn't about having to pay a bit more then, and its not now.
    Which is kind of my point. Times have changed, and as such, there never will be another 'golden era'. Internet may make things easier to acquire... but a fully loaded toystore actually draws in new buyers and creates new fans. Internet caters to the small niche groups who are ALREADY fans... but it doesn't help much for the kids who aren't familiar with the brand. Not even counting that when I was young I'd run into a store and buy things with my own money... but now they'll need their parent's credit Card to do online purchases...

No matter how good MOTU is right now... it just can't compete with the way it was in the 80's.

The current figures are better quality, but in the 80's they were so much more available without needing to go online (not that you could) or pay scalpers way more than retail.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Which is kind of my point. Times have changed, and as such, there never will be another 'golden era'. Internet may make things easier to acquire... but a fully loaded toystore actually draws in new buyers and creates new fans. Internet caters to the small niche groups who are ALREADY fans... but it doesn't help much for the kids who aren't familiar with the brand. Not even counting that when I was young I'd run into a store and buy things with my own money... but now they'll need their parent's credit Card to do online purchases...

No matter how good MOTU is right now... it just can't compete with the way it was in the 80's.
    I agree that it will never be the same. I just don't think that mean that it can't be as good. But of course that will be subjective to each individual experience. To the society of children of the 80s, nothing will ever match the phenomena that it was, so yeah, that's lost for sure. If that's what someone wants to reclaim, it will never happen. So I do kind of retract me previous statement... I mean, with Revelation figures right now, its kind of a pain in the rump. The supply is so slow, even tot he online sellers, and you have to pay 2 times as much, or more, to get them. At least in the 80's you knew when you found something new it would be within a reasonable price range.

Its hard for me to understand how any of the modern lines can be successful enough to keep going, considering how hard it is to find anything in the store. According to Toyguru's vidoes, for a line to be successful it has to be in retail, so I don't see how they doing so good. Unless there's just more people buying it online that I can imagine.

For me it was the 200x era. We had the awesome cartoon released coupled with the comic, the action figures, deluxe statues and busts. Having the opportunity to pick up a comic con exclusive Keldor was a definite highlight.