Thread: How is the Masters of the WWE Universe line canceled…?

How is the Masters of the WWE Universe line canceled…?

Masters of the WWE Universe. That’s it. I don’t get it. Any explanations…?
    – No comment.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    Masters of the WWE Universe. That’s it. I don’t get it. Any explanations…?
    I think it’s getting replaced with a line of 80s era more standardized WWF characters. I THINK the figures are still built like Origins figures though.

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...=1#post3946582

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by whakojacko View Post
    I think it’s getting replaced with a line of 80s era more standardized WWF characters. I THINK the figures are still built like Origins figures though.
    It's not just 80s era. In addition to Hogan from the NWO era (1996), the first wave includes Bray Wyatt as the Mad Hatter. Wyatt joined WWE in 2010, and the Mad Hatter gear is from 2020.

I agree, it sure looks like they are still built like Origins figures. At the very least we should get some neat accessories to add to Origins.

Heroic Warrior
    i never understood the announcement when they made it either. the line sold extremely well and figures were gone in seconds if even ever found around me. if they didnt sell enough quantity to justify the line it wasnt because of bad sales it was because they didnt make enough and they limited it to walmart only which refuses to stock any of their own exclusives from any toy manufacturer. they should have opened this line up to at least online retailers, so many characters they could have made yet.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...=1#post3946582

- - - Updated - - -

It's not just 80s era. In addition to Hogan from the NWO era (1996), the first wave includes Bray Wyatt as the Mad Hatter. Wyatt joined WWE in 2010, and the Mad Hatter gear is from 2020.

I agree, it sure looks like they are still built like Origins figures. At the very least we should get some neat accessories to add to Origins.
    Ok, like this:
    Attachment 127341
    I thought I saw a Honky Tonk Man figure on some sort of old school cardback though. Not the retros but like this Hogan figure.

Quote Originally Posted by whakojacko View Post
    I thought I saw a Honky Tonk Man figure on some sort of old school cardback though. Not the retros but like this Hogan figure.
    Yep - here's the in-package shot of Honky Tonk Man
    wwe-superstars-walmart-honky-tonk-man.jpeg

Not that Walmart will fulfill them, but Hogan and Honky Tonk Man are available for preorder (shipping in January). I don't see Flair or Wyatt.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/WWE-Super...ries/858405942
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/WWE-Super...ries/327194464

Also, it looks like Wave 2 is going to be Kevin Nash, Shawn Michaels, and Scott Hall.
    https://www.wrestlingfiguredatabase....uperstars.html
    Last edited by anytimepally; October 28, 2021 at 09:45am.

Heroic Warrior
    My understanding was it wasn't that they weren't selling well but that WWE didn't want to keep sharing the profits with the MOTU IP, hence why the line is the same without the MOTU involvement. I believe read that on the Masters of the WWE forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersword123 View Post
    My understanding was it wasn't that they weren't selling well but that WWE didn't want to keep sharing the profits with the MOTU IP, hence why the line is the same without the MOTU involvement. I believe read that on the Masters of the WWE forum.
    Hmmmm. That seems most plausible.

But still I dunno, this was such a unique, awesome line that should’ve continued, maybe indefinitely.

I mean come on, the mini comics alone!

Imo of course.
    – No comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Neutro View Post
    Hmmmm. That seems most plausible.

But still I dunno, this was such a unique, awesome line that should’ve continued, maybe indefinitely.

I mean come on, the mini comics alone!

Imo of course.
    Agreed, it was a unique blend of 2 properties that gelled very well. Now that they're just doing straight up wrestler designs, it no longer has that quirky, cultish appeal. Too bad really.

I do dig that retro-inspired packaging. Although making a Honky Tonk Man and not including a guitar accessory is blasphemous.

I'll be honest, part of me is a little more excited for this. I dug Masters of WWE Universe a lot, but not all the characters really fit the gimmick at all - like Sting; it's JUST a Sting figure who happens to have a goofy giant Scorpion weapon, and otherwise doesn't take advantage of the mash-up gimmick, so while I love the figure he's really in there just to be there and doesn't actually fit - and while a lot of the characters could have all the "flair" removed and still stand on their own as just a neat little regular wrestling figure, not all of them could be. Like you could take all of Macho Man's armor off, and you've got a great "basic" Macho Man. New Day/Man-E-Faces, not so much.

So I really loved the idea but it wasn't a perfect fit for every character. BUT, these 5.5-scale figures seem to be making something of a comeback across the board, and I would bet a lot of wrestling fans will still buy the heck out of these even without the MOTU gimmick. It's a COOL gimmick but I do think the figures on their own can stand without it.

Like, in all seriousness, THESE are the wrestling figures I wanted more than anything back in 1987. Not big rubber statues where all the paint rubbed off in a few days' play; jacked-up guys who fit in perfectly with my MOTU guys. Point of fact, those are exactly the wrestling toys I DID buy, back then. I somehow missed the Remco AWA line back then, but I did collect a good variety of those knockoffs from Sungold and Madison. No, they weren't "really" Hulk Hogan or Macho Man or Andre the Giant... but they looked close enough, their arms moved, AND they were the exact same size and style as my MOTU guys. So I completely ignored the WWF LJN line back then - although BOY do I regret that now, and it's making a huge dent in my wallet trying to amass an even half-assed collection 30+ years later - but I bought the heck out of any knockoff guys I could find. Still have most of 'em.

If LJN had made These Exact Figures back then, I'd have bought the heck out of those, too. I wouldn't have needed any extra gimmick; the fact that He-Man and Hulk Hogan had the same height, scale, and articulation would've been MORE than enough for me, thanks.

So yeah, I'm a little sad that such a neat little idea for a hybrid line didn't last longer, but it did last longer than I expected - part of why I skipped the first couple Waves was because I seriously didn't know it would be more than a little one-off thing, like a goof. On paper, it was a perfect fit. But since we're still gonna be getting 5.5-scale MOTU-style wrestlers, and that's all I ever really wanted since I was 5... yeah, if they have to toss out the MOTU gimmick, then fine. Just let me still build my little army of 5.5 Wrestling Legends and I'll be happy.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I do dig that retro-inspired packaging. Although making a Honky Tonk Man and not including a guitar accessory is blasphemous.
    I think the package photo is a mockup. If you look at the pre-order listing, he does have a guitar.

Good to know! I'd hate to have to hit up eBay for a lousy tiny plastic guitar, even though thanks to the Jakks WWF/WWE lines they're all over the place. I just shouldn't have to do the work for them!

But yeah, that puts my mind at ease, thanks. Kind of a big Honky Tonk Man guy. Shared a few locker rooms with him back in the day. Fun guy.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I never understood when they announced the line was changing. Because wwe splitting money issue. Mattel owns motu, so why would that be a third split. The money should just be wwe and Mattel. Not wwe, Mattel, motu.

UNLESS....Mattel doesn't own MOTU. I'll see my self out so you can fight amongst yourselves

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    I never understood when they announced the line was changing. Because wwe splitting money issue. Mattel owns motu, so why would that be a third split. The money should just be wwe and Mattel. Not wwe, Mattel, motu.

UNLESS....Mattel doesn't own MOTU. I'll see my self out so you can fight amongst yourselves
    Unfortunately ‘money’ always seems to be the root of all….
    – No comment.