Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation - episode 10 [Official Talkback Thread] SPOILERS

He-Man historian

Masters of the Universe Revelation - episode 10 [Official Talkback Thread] SPOILERS

Official Talkback thread for episode 10 of Masters of the Universe Revelation

"COMES WITH EVERYTHING YOU SEE HERE"

Written by: Eric Carrasco

Expect SPOILERS within this thread.

Additional He-Man.Org Rules and Guidelines for This Thread - Please Read!

There has been a lot of discussion on where specific topics to be discussed land within this thread. This forum is intended to be all-ages and more light-hearted in spirit and is not to be dragged down into the typical debates about sex, politics, race and religion we see online often leading to anger and hurt feelings. Those topics can still be discussed, however they will be discussed in the Tar Swamp where there is a more open, adult platform for those topics.
    To help keep the forums fun and friendly, the admins and moderators have conversed and decided guidelines on what can and can’t be discussed in this thread and what will be referred to the Tar Swamp.

What can be discussed:
    • The specific reasons why we enjoy the show
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike the show
    • Reasons why we like/enjoy specific characters
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike characters
    • Relationships between characters (all inclusive and diversity - heterosexual, homosexual, pan, etc.) that are clearly defined in the cartoon

Topics for the Tar Swamp:
    • Debates about sex, politics and religion
    • Debates about race (discussion on race swapping of characters is allowed, but must not be political in nature)
    • Debates about morality and any sexually related topic, or any politics associated with sexuality
    • Speculation about a character’s sexuality

Last edited by Jukka; November 23, 2021 at 08:26am.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I enjoyed it overall. It is a bit disturbing if that is the end of PreEternia/Heaven for good. I was hoping to see it restored at the end. It looks like we may get the Horde if there is a season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I enjoyed it overall. It is a bit disturbing if that is the end of PreEternia/Heaven for good. I was hoping to see it restored at the end. It looks like we may get the Horde if there is a season 2.
    This is perhaps the only real gripe I had with Pt2. Destroying Praeternia basically made the character of Evil-Lyn irredeemable, but last we see her, she's in some field in Trolla (was it?), enjoying peace and freedom. The heck?

They’ve done a great job giving deep cuts in this series. I’m hoping if there is a Season 2, Skeletor looks like Laser Light or New Adventures after what happens to him.
    Gaping holes in my collection: Origins SDCC 2019 2 Pack, Weapons pack 1, Power & Honour book 1, SDCC artbook (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    This was my thought as well... I wanted some closure for Mossman and the rest.

Although, the point where Teela's vision makes it rain, and the rain droplets create new life, has me believing that Preternia was restored.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Teasing Hordak like that and not giving us the continuation would be criminal.

I hope people who disliked it before are over it and the series scores good numbers. It deserves it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
    It would be 200X all over again...

I hope people who disliked it before are over it and the series scores good numbers. It deserves it.
    Agreed.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I think Preternia will be restored, wasn't Orko in Preternia and he came back?
    MOTU Origins Wishlist: Oo-Larr, Rattlor, Hawke, Slamurai, Lodar, Snake Face, Geldor, Plasmar, Lord Gr'Asp, Strobo, Extendar, Jitsu, Tung Lashor

Quote Originally Posted by hlinhk128 View Post
    They’ve done a great job giving deep cuts in this series. I’m hoping if there is a Season 2, Skeletor looks like Laser Light or New Adventures after what happens to him.
    My guess is that he will become a vessel for Hordak.

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I think Preternia will be restored, wasn't Orko in Preternia and he came back?
    I thought he was in Subternia with Scareglow.

Over it? This second part is somehow worse than the first. It's clear now that Kevin was just making things up as he went.
    Pretty sure given the reception this got, and the overwhelmingly good reception the CGI Netflix He-Man show had, we know which one Netflix will invest money in.

Hated it, hated it, hated it.

Teela saves the day while he-man takes a back seat, Preternia never gets restored, meaning heaven is gone, but hell is still there. Evil-lyn, the destroyer of heaven, genocider of all of the good souls in history, is 'convinced' not to be evil, and is 'redeemed', while going unpunished for one of the most heinous crimes in all of fiction. Like others have said, this was the Teela show, she really did take the power, and save the world, at least the mortal part of it.

Like I said before.... bad writing, bad writing BAD WRITING! Blast you, Kevin Smith!
    Last edited by Oldfan87; November 23, 2021 at 06:55pm.

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BB Shockwave View Post
    Over it? This second part is somehow worse than the first. It's clear now that Kevin was just making things up as he went.
    Pretty sure given the reception this got, and the overwhelmingly good reception the CGI Netflix He-Man show had, we know which one Netflix will invest money in.
    Same guy complaining in every thread.

-----

Wow, what a series! I just finished and need to dive in again. So much goodies to process!
    - - - - -
    ForEternia.com
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Fan Site

- - - - -

It's clear now that Kevin was just making things up as he went.
    ...because he wrote each and every episode, oh wait...

And, if he had, isn't that what writers do? They make stuff up that they then put on paper.

Yup... a 72% based on a 6 to 2 like/dislike ratio on MetaCritic

A 94% Fresh rating for Part 1..

And a 100% Fresh rating for Part 2 (so far) on Rotten Tomatoes...

Yeah, Netflix is real worried about Revelation's reception. (Also, it was posted in another thread that Netflix's own algorithm considered Revelation a success, so...)

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfan87 View Post
    Hated it, hated it, hated it.

Teela saves the day while he-man takes a back seat, Preternia never gets restored, meaning heaven is gone, but hell is still there. Evil-lyn, the destroyer of heaven, genocider of all of the good souls in history, is 'convinced' not to be evil, and is 'redeemed', while going unpunished for one of the most heinous crimes in all of fiction. Like others have said, this was the Teela show, she really did take the power, and save the world, at least the mortal part of it.

Like I said before.... bad writing, bad writing BAD WRITING! Blast you, Kevin Smith
    Oy. Not the story I want equates to bad writing again.

Just much of the exceptionally written dialogue alone gives that comment a big eye roll.
    - - - - -
    ForEternia.com
    Masters of the Universe: Revelation Fan Site

- - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    Oy. Not the story I want equates to bad writing again.

Just much of the exceptionally written dialogue alone gives that comment a big eye roll.
    I'm not talking about the dialogue; the dialogue was fine. When I say bad writing I mean bad storytelling and plot.

Sorry, I think that letting the person who committed UNIVERSAL SOUL GENOCIDE get redeemed and walk away with no consequences was bad writing.

I think destroying Preternia, the MOTU heaven in this story, and killing all of it's heroic souls and the good souls in history, and not restoring any of it was bad writing.

I think turning two beloved characters into monsters, killing them, and sending their souls to hell was bad writing.

I think making Teela the main hero of both parts, and sidelining not only he-man, but his conflict with skeletor, was bad writing.

And yes, it's not only not the story I want, it's a story that makes my stomach turn. Anyway, I thought it was a given that what we said on here was to be taken as opinion, unless otherwise stated by the poster. So yes, while it's not objectively bad writing, it's is most certainly in my opinion bad writing.
    Last edited by Oldfan87; November 23, 2021 at 07:23pm.

We just finished watching it. I...don't know. I liked it, I guess? At the same time there were so many annoying things in the second part and while it was better than the first part it didn't really do anything to redeem the lackluster first half.

I liked Evil-Lyn betraying Skeletor, but I pretty much checked out after her transformation. It just felt unnecessary for her to be the new Sorceress AND wield the power like that. Her design was also pretty terrible, which is baffling to me because her Sorceress look was fantastic. Maybe if the gold was changed to the black metal of her circlet it'd look more villainous. It is also confusing why she needed Skelegod to power down to steal the sword, but then when Adam gets the sword back she doesn't lose the power and revert to her previous form? Huh?

Andra comes out of this season being a completely useless character. There was no reason for her to exist. It just felt like 80% of the time she was standing in the background doing nothing. Putting Clamp Champ in her place from the beginning would have been a much better choice, especially when you consider how they completely wasted both Clamp Champ and Fisto. Also her haircut at the end was terrible. Why does Hollywood keep insisting that the side of the head shaved look is cool? It's not and I've never seen an actual person wearing their hair like that. Cut it out.

Bitter Stratos fan, but COME ON. You call in the Avions and Adreenids to the final battle and you can't show Stratos and Buzz-Off standing around the war table or something? I'm not even asking for a speaking role, just SHOW that they are leading their people into battle.

I hated Beast Man turning into Evil-Lyn's version of Battle Cat. The design was terrible and Beast Man being constantly under heel was a bit too much.

I felt He-Man's line to Skeletor of "It's not about us!" was thrown in to directly address the fans.

I honestly don't want to see another season of this. For me Revelation is a good "one and done" entry into the MoTU franchise, a story that needed to be told, but I'd rather get a series that felt more in line with the original series. No killing off characters for shock value or having Evil-Lyn mount Skeletor.

Court Magician

Spoilershhhhh

Man, if I thought I was a motherboard stan BEFORE... Obviously there's the Horde logo, but is she a reference to something herself, with her design? I didn't recognize it but I'm a filthy casual.

I loved seeing Skeletor in his Horde gear twenty years ago.

I liked it a lot, really, really unpredictable. My only real issue was what happened to Fisto and Clamp Champ...

For those complaining "Preternia was not restored" I think that is unclear to be honest, but I think if we get more down the line then they will very easily rectify that regardless.

To be honest, I am unsure if we will actually get any more of this show... if I were Kevin Smith I would probably want nothing to do with the property again after the (IMO) over the top online backlash.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Oh and I don't know what episode it was so I'll just post it here. Liam Cunningham brought his A game to this role. Sincerely impressed with his acting, especially when the Sorceress died. You could feel the despair in that performance. Well done.

I enjoyed this finale, but there are a few things that bothered me:

• How was Evil-Lyn able to keep Orko from being sent (a-la Auron from Final Fantasy X)? Did she still have the power of creation at that point?

• How was Andra made into Man-At-Arms without a shred of experience and minimal army service? This is probably the thing that infuriates me the most. This was supposed to go to Clamp Champ, or Fisto IMO. Andra didn't deserve this post or the accolades she got. She literally got handed Man-At-Arms weapon and title without working for it.
    • As far as Preternia being destroyed, I think it could always be brought back somehow with better writing. I hate how Mattel allowed Kevin Smith to kill off two beloved mainstay characters and destroy many other monuments and environments.
    • So Teela just denied being tethered to the castle? How? They never explained how she resisted.
    • Did we ever see Ileena? Did I miss her?

^Other than the above, I thought this was a fantastic wrap up to the series! I loved the Motherboard's design, I am guessing that it is the beginning of The Horde! I think there will be another season of Revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    How was Evil-Lyn able to keep Orko from being sent (a-la Auron from Final Fantasy X)? Did she still have the power of creation at that point?
    She also did that to prevent Duncan from being teleported. Apparently grabbing someone and saying "No." is enough to stop almost anything.

How was Andra made into Man-At-Arms without a shred of experience and minimal army service? This is probably the thing that infuriates me the most. This was supposed to go to Clamp Champ, or Fisto IMO. Andra didn't deserve this post or the accolades she got. She literally got handed Man-At-Arms weapon and title without working for it.
    It should have been Clamp Champ. I was cool with Randor making Andra an honorary Lieutenant for her assistance, but promoting her to Man-At-Arms makes zero sense. All she did in the entire show was kill Fisto and Clamp Champ.

So Teela just denied being tethered to the castle? How? They never explained how she resisted.
    This really annoyed me as well. You are tethered to the castle as The Sorceress unless you just really don't want to be enough. Teela figured it out while all the other people to hold that position were too stupid I guess.

Did we ever see Ileena? Did I miss her?
    Her part was cut from the first batch of episodes. Kevin Smith casted his daughter and then cut her part.

Well, this episode explains why the Cult of Motherboard look so similar to the Horde Wraiths...

Quote Originally Posted by hlinhk128 View Post
    yeah when I saw that part I got super excited hoping we would get NA/Laser Light Skeletor!

- - - Updated - - -

Motherboard has a very Metropolis the movie vibe
    cogito ergo doleo

Masters of the Universe Revelation - episode 10 [Official Talkback Thread] SPOILERS

Having talkback threads for each episode is unwieldy and kinda weird since this was dropped basically like a movie meant to be binged, so I’m going to drop my thoughts all in here.

I think I liked the first half more. The pacing of the first half was off; a little too brisk for an adventure spanning multiple planes of existence. The second half seemed a bit slow as far as the villains went. A lot of time spent brooding and gloating about what they’re going to do. I think the stakes were just a little too high for the show to convincingly sell the consequences. Erasing the entirety of existence is a pretty lofty goal, and two hours of animation couldn’t really carry it.

We had a lot of really great action which was a ton of fun to see. Loved Savage He-Man’s rampage. Did you see those hairy eyeballs that Marlena was throwing at Randor? There was some pretty good “acting” in the animation.

I agree with the comment that Andra could have pretty much been anyone else. In the first half she was clearly the POV character, but when we didn’t need that anymore, she kinda just became Backup Teela. Original Teela had to go do her Sorceress thing, so we needed another Teela to take over. Regarding Andra becoming man at arms, that’s cool. She proved herself in the climactic battle. Teela vouched for her. She kinda has a little stroke around Eternos. No problem with that. Fisto and Reinus couldn’t get the nod because they were a little bit dead at the time.

Which was pretty tragic. Sad what happened to them. I wish the show had us sit with that for a little while; give their loss a little more impact. Turning all the citizens of Eternos into Skelcons was pretty awesome though.

Destroying Preternia, again, it’s too big of a thing and the show couldn’t sell it properly. It just amounted to Marlena(‘s voice actor to unconvincingly) shout that every soul in Preternia was killed. Okay?

Pretty sure that Teela will be able to control-Z that, though. Gotta leave something for the sequel, much as I would have loved a bonus denouement episode that showed all the happy.

Frustratingly for myself, the first thing that went through my mind at Hevil-Lyn’s transformation was imagining what the sweatpants mafia would have to say. But after I expelled that thought, I thought she looked pretty rad. I liked her Sorceress costume better though.

The animation of He-Man’s rampage at the end was pretty frenetic and cool, and I loved it when he sliced and diced the big dragon into the shape of his H-sigil. They took the DC comics thing of Zoar being a deity, but didn’t tie it into the symbol. That would have been a good time for it. Have the big H on screen and have Zoar fly up and kinda superimpose on it. Or maybe that would have been weird. I am very much NOT an “everything must have an explanation” type, but I think that would have tied up why everyone who held the sword had an H on their chest. But ultimately it doesn’t matter.

One of the weird things about some opinions I’ve seen here is that people grouse about the things that are different in this show from past incarnation, and then in a couple paragraphs they grouse about the things that are the same. In every version, Skeletor and company’s antics are largely forgotten and everyone goes home and has a nice warm dinner. Of course people will be redeemed. It’s the way of MOTU.

Beast Man was done dirty. I hope we haven’t seen the last of him.

MOTHERBOARD.

My absolute favorite moment in the show was “is that Goat Man and Pig Boy?!” I must have a Pig Boy figure.
    Last edited by hadley; November 23, 2021 at 09:20pm.
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.