Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Christmas Seasons Greetings and Plans

Master of New Adventures!

Christmas Seasons Greetings and Plans

Well, it's hard to believe, but Christmas is less than a month away!

This is surely my favorite time of year. We always get all of the interior decorations, including eleven wreaths and tons of 50s, 60s and later decorations, and exterior lighting finished and illuminated the day after Thanksgiving, so our home is in all its holiday splendor!

We make it a point never to travel on holidays. I know many people enjoy that, but for us it's too much of a hassle. As always, our family will be gathered at our home for a full three weeks. Especially exciting is that our oldest, Alex, graduates from Purdue University's College of Engineering and starts his position as a Deputy City Engineer in January. Zoe is home from Ball State, where she carries a 4.00 GPA and our youngest, Max, is straight A's and will be starring as Coconut Johnny in his school's Christmas play.

Perpetually blazing fires in our fireplaces, 24/7 classic Christmas music throughout our home, countless gallons of eggnog, a traditional Christmas day feast and, our course, Kim's Christmas cookies help make the season bright in the Olesker home.

How about everyone else? Plans, hopes, travel, just stating at home and special Christmas wishes?

Merry Christmas to one and all!

That sounds great Jack!

So for the month of December I'm off every Friday till the weekend prior to Christmas weekend. I'll spend a lot of time out playing golf and doing some shopping.

The weekend prior to Christmas I'm taking multiple days off to just soak in the ambience prior to Christmas. In years past I always took a lot of time off after Christmas and I found it to be anti-climatic. This year I planned ahead.

We've got Christmas parties to attend, family coming into town, Christmas Eve family get together, and a big Christmas morning ready to go. We'd already decorated inside and then put up the outside lights Saturday right before the Iron Bowl.

I love December and enjoy nightly walks in our neighborhood, enjoying all the decorations. Best time of the year!!
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

A great plan! Enjoy, my friend.

I wonder what Val is doing for Christmas. After everything he and his team have been through this year, a little R&R is well-deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    That sounds great Jack!

So for the month of December I'm off every Friday till the weekend prior to Christmas weekend. I'll spend a lot of time out playing golf and doing some shopping.

The weekend prior to Christmas I'm taking multiple days off to just soak in the ambience prior to Christmas. In years past I always took a lot of time off after Christmas and I found it to be anti-climatic. This year I planned ahead.

We've got Christmas parties to attend, family coming into town, Christmas Eve family get together, and a big Christmas morning ready to go. We'd already decorated inside and then put up the outside lights Saturday right before the Iron Bowl.

I love December and enjoy nightly walks in our neighborhood, enjoying all the decorations. Best time of the year!!

Oh, I love Christmas too. I go all out and decorate every room in the house and also decorate outdoors. Usually it takes me 4 to 5 days to get done. This year I did not decorate as heavily because I'm not going to be at my house for 3 weeks in December, so I didn't want to go all out if I wasn't going to be enjoying it. I'm going one week to Orlando for Disney and Universal and their Christmas events and then I'm going to Puerto Rico to visit my family there. I haven't been there for Christmas in quite a few years, so it will be nice.
    For the Honor, for the Glory, for the Power of GRAYSKULL!!!

Sounds fabulous. Enjoy! Years ago, when Kim and I lived in Boca Raton, we went to Disney and Universal a couple of years on Super Bowl Sunday. ZERO LINES! Bonus: Disney put on amazing Super Bowl parties for VIP guests.

I decorate our entire home in a fourteen-hour day. Sparky Griswold has nothing on me. Helps to have a wife and three children who ably serve as my sous chefs.

That said, Kim and I rely on pros we've used for over a decade for all the exterior lighting...and there's plenty of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    Oh, I love Christmas too. I go all out and decorate every room in the house and also decorate outdoors. Usually it takes me 4 to 5 days to get done. This year I did not decorate as heavily because I'm not going to be at my house for 3 weeks in December, so I didn't want to go all out if I wasn't going to be enjoying it. I'm going one week to Orlando for Disney and Universal and their Christmas events and then I'm going to Puerto Rico to visit my family there. I haven't been there for Christmas in quite a few years, so it will be nice.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 11, 2022 at 06:16pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
    Oh, I love Christmas too. I go all out and decorate every room in the house and also decorate outdoors.
    My wife insists we have a lighted and decorated tree in every room of the house (bathrooms not included)
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Lots of Christmas movies (especially the Hallmark ones) and Christmas music!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Christmas is our favourite time of the year as well.

We don't have a lot of decorations, a small tree, some gifts, and some lights around the place.

Even after living where we are for 30+ years, I still can't get used to a summer Christmas. It just feels weird. But of course, I realise that's completely subjective.

It's true I listen to Christmas music all year round, but it is special to listen to when the holiday season truly does come. Like Iluvart, I would love to experience a snowy Christmas one day and I don't like Summer as a rule. My Christmas music includes albums by Amy Grant, Bette Midler, Martina McBride, Suzy Bogguss, Nita Whitaker, Gretchen Peters, Melanie Taylor, and a few singles by other artists. Plus I have two special compilation albums, Breaking For The Holidays and Mother & Child: A Christmas Celebration Of Motherhood, both of which feature various artists as diverse as Belinda Carlisle & Charlotte Caffey, Debbi Peterson & Siobhan Maher-Kennedy, Martina, Suzy, Amy, Beth Nielsen Chapman, Olivia Newton-John, Chaka Khan, Jon Peter Lewis and more.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I would love to do this Christmas *and admittedly I have been saying this for several years without yet following through* is to bake the Gingerbread recipe that one of my musicians Gretchen Peters has had in her family for many generations and sends to all her fans in an email every December (although it is also on her website). One day I would like to tell Gretchen that I have actually tried baking and tasting her delicious sounding recipe.

https://www.gretchenpeters.com/2018/11/gingerbread/
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Bring back Classics! The All American's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post

I don't disagree that taking off after Christmas can be anticlimactic, though admittedly I am really in the spirit once Christmas hits. Some folks are done come December 26th, they're Scrooges, lol.

I also enjoy walking around seeing all the lights in the evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I decorate our entire home in a fourteen-hour day. Spark Griswold has nothing on me. Helps to have a wife and three children who ably serve as my sous chefs.

That said, Kim and I rely on pros we've used for over a decade for all the exterior lighting...and there's plenty of it.
    It's about that timeframe for me as well, but that's counting the outside lights and getting a live tree. I imagine you easily have me beat on indoor decorations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Like Iluvart, I would love to experience a snowy Christmas one day and I don't like Summer as a rule.
    A white Christmas is great unless you or family have to travel in it. We've had occassional big snows/blizzards days before Christmas where I'm at, but nothing extreme on Christmas day. The biggest snowfall I remember was about 6-8 inches Christmas day which is probably nothing for orgers in more northern climates.

Snow on Christmas lights is really cool.

Watching both versions of Gypsy (1962 with Rosalind Russell & Natalie Wood and 1993 with Bette Midler & Cynthia Gibb) is a must at Christmas for me especially with the character of Electra (played by Roxanne Arlen, dressed like a Christmas Tree in 1962 and played by Anna McNeely, dressed as a Snowflake Fairy in 1993).

Electra appears in the musical number You Gotta Get A Gimmick with Faith Dane and Linda Hart as Mazeppa (Roman Gladiator) in 1962 and 1993 respectively, and Betty Bruce and Christine Ebersole as Tessie Tura (Butterfly Fairy) in 1962 and 1993 respectively.

I shall watch A Solstice Carol, the Christmas episode of Xena Warrior Princess!

I drew the short straw this year, I'm midway through seven night shifts ending on Monday morning.

But I don't mind too much - I'm working from home, so I'll break off at 6am just in time to see our young son open his presents (including an experimental new Castle Grayskull and figures - he had never heard of He-Man until about a month ago, so I showed him some toons including the Christmas special and he seems to love it - hope it pays off! Not that they'll be wasted otherwise, mind you... )

I'll have to hold off on my bottle of single malt until next week!

One of my little kittens has decided to try and climb up the Christmas Tree, she must think she's an ornament!

Merry Early Christmas all, from your friendly Muslim neighbor.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Merry Christmas Adam to everyone!! As far back as I can remember we have called the day before Christmas Eve Christmas Adam. It's cute, right?

Just got great news that Kim is off from work for Christmas Eve day, Christmas Day and the day after Christmas! With our Zoe home from Ball State, Alex having graduated on Saturday and ready to start his job as Deputy City Engineer on January 3rd and Max home from elementary school for the break, we're all planning on spending a lot of time in Christmas pajamas, binge watching Christmas movies in front of a roaring fireplace! Kim has a full holiday menu planned for the three days. I love having a full house and our Yorkie, Coco, is in doggy heaven over having everyone here and giving her lot of attention.

Merry Christmas to all! God bless us all!

- - - Updated - - -

Fendi, in all the years I've been on he-man.org, this brief post from you is one of the most thoughtful, touching and hopeful posts I've ever read.

I'm probably a childish optimist, but I truly feel the time has come for everyone from all faiths, for people with no faith-based beliefs, for all races, political affiliations and all gender identification groups to at last and permanently put aside our differences, realize we are all more similar than we are different and embrace each other in the manner befitting an intelligent species. In the final. analysis, what does it really cost us to do that? Nothing, I think. But there is so very much we can accomplish, do and enjoy if we accomplish, do and enjoy it together.

My sincerest thanks for your uplifting post, my friend, You have helped -- a lot -- to make my season bright.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Merry Early Christmas all, from your friendly Muslim neighbor.

Heroic Warrior
    I can't believe it's Christmas! This season has flown by so fast!

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and has a great time with their loved ones.

I'm probably a childish optimist, but I truly feel the time has come for everyone from all faiths, for people with no faith-based beliefs, for all races, political affiliations and all gender identification groups to at last and permanently put aside our differences, realize we are all more similar than we are different and embrace each other in the manner befitting an intelligent species.
    Every year my mother in law wishes for world peace, she's an Elementary School librarian, and she too as you so eloquently put it, is a childish optimist. There are still great people in this world

Happy Holidays fellow .orgers and I hope we all get a MOTU gift that makes us light up like we did in the olden days <3
    Instagram: dadhausen

I've had a tough year and a half, but you and your mother help to lift my spirits. Thank you for that. God bless you.

Quote Originally Posted by DadStrong View Post
    Every year my mother in law wishes for world peace, she's an Elementary School librarian, and she too as you so eloquently put it, is a childish optimist. There are still great people in this world

Happy Holidays fellow .orgers and I hope we all get a MOTU gift that makes us light up like we did in the olden days

Heroic Warrior
    I love that you called it the day after Christmas Day, here in the uk itís Boxing Day and generally most people have it off unless they work in retail or service. But they get the day in lieu later in the year

I've had a tough year and a half, but you and your mother help to lift my spirits. Thank you for that. God bless you.
    Much healing power to you Jack, you're a voice of reason for a lot of us! Take care and rest up, we need you!
    Instagram: dadhausen

Just for the record, our home -- inside and out -- resembles Clark Griswold's in Christmas Vacation. It's a huge amount of work, although in my advancing years we rely on a team of landscapers to handle the outside lighting. Because it's so much work -- with everything done the day after Thanksgiving -- I like to milk it for all it's worth. Thus, everything stays up and lit until January 2nd. Then down it comes, packed in our storage room and put to bed with a loving kiss that has to see the decorations through until the day after Thanksgiving next year.

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    I don't disagree that taking off after Christmas can be anticlimactic, though admittedly I am really in the spirit once Christmas hits. Some folks are done come December 26th, they're Scrooges, lol.

I also enjoy walking around seeing all the lights in the evening.

It's about that timeframe for me as well, but that's counting the outside lights and getting a live tree. I imagine you easily have me beat on indoor decorations.

A white Christmas is great unless you or family have to travel in it. We've had occassional big snows/blizzards days before Christmas where I'm at, but nothing extreme on Christmas day. The biggest snowfall I remember was about 6-8 inches Christmas day which is probably nothing for orgers in more northern climates.

Snow on Christmas lights is really cool.
    - - - Updated - - -

Thank you, DadStrong. I sincerely appreciate your words.

I'm glad to say at present I'm fully mended from my earlier mini-stroke, minor heart attack and endarterectomy surgery. Following a low sodium diet and trying hard to reduce my stress level.

I hope it stays this way.

Quote Originally Posted by DadStrong View Post
    Much healing power to you Jack, you're a voice of reason for a lot of us! Take care and rest up, we need you!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 23, 2021 at 05:24pm.

In addition to the usual "grad opening" there's the yearly "holiday movie madness"(i.e watching all the movies/specials/christmas themed episodes i can) this year marks the 40th of my first video game system so atari 2600.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year for everyone!

- - - Updated - - -

I think I will have to watch the Cluedo Christmas episode Good Will To All Men this yuletide. I have many episodes of this classic Australian series on YouTube (I wish it was on DVD). Mean old Aunt Evalina comes for Christmas and tries to upset the household with her tyranny and plans to take over the property and turf everyone out. So, who hates Evalina the most and takes steps to ensure this Christmas is her LAST Christmas.

THE SOLUTION:

Mrs White in the Billiard Room with the Letter Opener

- - - Updated - - -

I received a couple of early presents from my sister - two complete seasons of Power Rangers (Ninja Storm & Mystic Force) on DVD and the Disney Villains Monopoly game!