Thread: What's your favorite bar-b-q sauce?

Master of New Adventures!

What's your favorite bar-b-q sauce?

I'll start this thread by offering an apology to vegan orgers. Kim is from Nebraska and I'm a former Chicago boy. I did an Air Force hitch in Texas and we lived in K.C. for five years, so bar-b-q is in our blood and neither of us will eat anything unless it had parents.

But as I'm now munching on spare ribs for lunch, I started thinking as much as I like ribs, they wouldn't be the same without a truly great sauce. When I have the time -- which is rare nowadays -- I'll make my own sauce. But generally I rely on the stores.

In all my years of enjoying more sauces than I can count, my all-time favorite is Stubb's Original Legendary B-B-Q Sauce from, appropriately enough, Austin, Tex. I know it's subjective, but I think it's head and shoulders above everything else. There's an undertaste to it that I rarely get unless I walk into a bar-b-q joint. It's so good you can grab a tablespoon and enjoy it all by itself...which is exactly what I just did!

So, that said, how about you, orgers? What's your favorite sauce and why?

Fist two besides Stubbs ( I like that one as well) that come to mind:

Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle
    sauce is a favorite. Their regular BBQ sauce is good too.

Bone Suckin Sauce has a unique taste I like.

I'm also a fan of Alabama style White BBQ sauce. Duke's is my go-to brand for that.

I'm also a sucker for the Carolina Gold BBQ sauce.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Dreamland, in your neck of the woods, is amazing.

https://shop.dreamlandbbq.com/?_ga=2...471.1638396772

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Fist two besides Stubbs ( I like that one as well) that come to mind:

Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Chipotle
    sauce is a favorite. Their regular BBQ sauce is good too.

Bone Suckin Sauce has a unique taste I like.

I'm also a fan of Alabama style White BBQ sauce. Duke's is my go-to brand for that.

I'm also a sucker for the Carolina Gold BBQ sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Dreamland, in your neck of the woods, is amazing.

https://shop.dreamlandbbq.com/?_ga=2...471.1638396772
    It's been awesome every "in restaurant" visit. But we've gotten large catering orders from them a couple of times that were not nearly as good.

I can understand that, Dice. Catering adds another layer. Kim is launching a major event this evening at the Barker Mansion with 150 invited guests and catering is her biggest concern. Lucky me. All I need to do is put on my tux and look drop-dead handsome.

Here's where she just took over as Director of Museum Operations. She was a United Way President and CEO for six and a half years, but the Barker Family Welfare Foundation made her an offer she couldn't refuse to run this incredible 38 room Gilded Age mansion that's on the National Register of Historic Places. A lot of work for her because she's spearheading a three million dollar renovation but she's got great staff and an amazing construction crew which, I'm sure, has no problem working for a crimson-haired, blue eyed Irish dream-girl.

https://barkermansion.org

Definitely helped to make our season bright.

But I digress. Hey, I'm an elder statesman. I'm allowed once in a while.

It's been awesome every "in restaurant" visit. But we've gotten large catering orders from them a couple of times that were not nearly as good.

I can understand that, Dice. Catering adds another layer. Kim is launching a major event this evening at the Barker Mansion with 150 invited guests and catering is her biggest concern. Lucky me. All I need to do is put on my tux and look drop-dead handsome.

Here's where she just took over as Director of Museum Operations. She was a United Way President and CEO for six and a half years, but the Barker Family Welfare Foundation made her an offer she couldn't refuse to run this incredible 38 room Gilded Age mansion that's on the National Register of Historic Places. A lot of work for her because she's spearheading a three million dollar renovation but she's got great staff and an amazing construction crew which, I'm sure, has no problem working for a crimson-haired, blue eyed Irish dream-girl.

https://barkermansion.org

Definitely helped to make our season bright.

But I digress. Hey, I'm an elder statesman. I'm allowed once in a while.
    That awesome! That place looks amazing. If I had a bunch of money I'd rent that place to have a huge Halloween/mystery party.

I'm a staunch vegetarian, and I put barbecue sauce on some of my favourite vegetarian snacks like veggie sausage rolls, veggie hot dogs, veggie nuggets, veggie burgers, veggie spring rolls and more. Fountain's is usually my go-to sauce.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar

best on ribs but also real good on chicken
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

After 20+ years in Kansas City, I can say that Gates is probably my favorite (not sure how widely available it is outside of KC)
    I pretty much agree with Jack about Stubb's, but have been using G. Hughes' lately since I got diagnosed with hypertension. I would would have once been lynched if I didn't have a bottle of KC Masterpiece, but trust me, a masterpiece it was not. I also had a fling with Sweet Baby Ray's some time ago. There's a couple of restaurants in KC that have their own sauce the put all of these to shame. But they don't bottle it.

I hate to say it since Louisana otherwise has some of the best food anywhere, but BBQ is not their forte in my opinion. I have not found anything here yet that compares to my beloved KC BBQ.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"I saw the Devil today, and he looked a lot like me. I turned away."
    -Five Finger Death Punch, "Wrong Side of Heaven"

Kim's already planning to turn the entire mansion into a haunted house for Halloween. Last night's event was simply amazing, complete with a pianist and carolers. A great time was had by all. I'd post pics of the mansion decked out for Christmas, but I think I'm getting too far away from the subject of the thread. I've been a good boy this last year -- major medical issues will do that to you -- so I'm not looking for reprimands from mods.

That awesome! That place looks amazing. If I had a bunch of money I'd rent that place to have a huge Halloween/mystery party.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    I pretty much agree with Jack about Stubb's, but have been using G. Hughes' lately since I got diagnosed with hypertension. I would would have once been lynched if I didn't have a bottle of KC Masterpiece, but trust me, a masterpiece it was not. I also had a fling with Sweet Baby Ray's some time ago. There's a couple of restaurants in KC that have their own sauce the put all of these to shame. But they don't bottle it.
    Yeah down here we have a few hole-in-the-wall spots that sell some of the best bar-b-que I've ever had. And their home made sauces make it even better.

- - - Updated - - -

Kim's already planning to turn the entire mansion into a haunted house for Halloween.
    Aww man that sounds awesome. Make sure you make a thread for that event!

Well, Dreamland is one of my absolute favorites in your Alabama. We've been to the ones in Birmingham a number of times. After a while ya just run out of superlatives...

Kim and I lived in K.C. for five years, and I definitely agree with Dave-Man about Gates. We also loved Smoke Stack and Arthur Bryant's. It's hard to go bad with bar-b-q in K.C.

Yeah down here we have a few hole-in-the-wall spots that sell some of the best bar-b-que I've ever had. And their home made sauces make it even better.

- - - Updated - - -

Aww man that sounds awesome. Make sure you make a thread for that event!

Well, Dreamland is one of my absolute favorites in your Alabama. We've been to the ones in Birmingham a number of times. After a while ya just run out of superlatives...

Kim and I lived in K.C. for five years, and I definitely agree with Dave-Man about Gates. We also loved Smoke Stack and Arthur Bryant's. It's hard to go bad with bar-b-q in K.C.
    My last night in Kansas City, we went to Smoke Stack. Definitely the way to remember KC and say goodbye.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"I saw the Devil today, and he looked a lot like me. I turned away."
    -Five Finger Death Punch, "Wrong Side of Heaven"

As I get older and crustier, I can tolerate sweet flavors less and less. I find most sauces to be cloyingly sweet. What do you like if you want more vinegar and less molasses?
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.

Absolutely Stubb's Legendary Original. Read the label. You're gonna love it! It does have molasses, but I think the hickory cancels it out. Oh that hickory fragrance...

I'm the same when it comes to super sweet, BTW. It's why I don't do Sweet Baby Ray's. Not that it's a bad sauce. Just, like you, as I get older I'm less and less a fan of sweet and I like the extra kick I get from Stubb's. Btw, there's nothing stopping you from adding as half a teaspoon or so of vinegar to suit your palate.

And for the record, you're not being 'crusty'; just discerning.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    As I get older and crustier, I can tolerate sweet flavors less and less. I find most sauces to be cloyingly sweet. What do you like if you want more vinegar and less molasses?
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; December 3, 2021 at 03:09pm.