Thread: are there people paying those insane prices on ebay?

are there people paying those insane prices on ebay?

is inflation that high or are people earning more money than ever? i.e $200,- for a complete loose vintage DB Skeleor. Vintage lot with about 20 figures, 5 vehicles, 2 playsets. Just parts not one in complete condition for auciton, currently over 400,-
    Are these guys dreaming? Would like to know your opinion.
    Me thinks its too late to start a vintage collection.

I'm following a few items on Ebay. There are some skeletors I really want, but the prices are just way too much. Not sure what the deal is. Maybe the bidding got out of hand. lol

those inflated price tags are "buy it now" So most sellers must be dreaming because if sellers were honest to themselves about the true value they would put it into auction with the lowest starting price.

To answer your question...NOPE!! The prices for vintage figures is insane right now. Ever since the launch of Origins inspired the next generation of scalpers, prices have gone absolutely crazy!! If a new and readily available Scare Glow can sell for triple the price, why not a vintage one, right? WRONG!! I have completely stopped collecting vintage until things get back to a realistic price range.

Look for brick and mortar stores. I picked up a near complete Snake Mountain for $50 this weekend. They had a ton of common figures in the $10-$15 range. Some harder to find stuff is still going high even in the vintage toy shops, cons, antique stores and flea markets I hit up, but as stated previously, I can wait on the prices of those figures to come back down to Earth.

I know I'm not. Although many of us aren't, there are a few who are. Enough to where sellers keep putting stuff up at crazy prices in hopes to win the lottery of a desperate buyer biting. I think reality is slowly catching up to the secondary market in general, so we'll have to see how thinks shake out in the next few months or so.
    Tweeterhead 1/5 Legends Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

The prices are like that because there are people who are willing to pay that much. There is always someone out there who has the money to spend. Plain and simple.

Ive heard from a couple friends that a lot of people stopped paying mortgages/rent so they have more disposable income. Who knows. All I know is that cost of living raises are way behind inflation right now. There are a bunch of things Im still looking for but cant justify paying those prices.

Check the completed listings to gauge what the average sold price was. Also there are a select few that are paying those prices
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

ebay should stop "buy it now" for used items. used items only in aucitons starting $0,99 law of demand and supply.

Then, what's the best option to begin a MOTU classic collection without buying on Ebay? Do you know other marketplaces? Thanks for your replies, if you do them. 1

Quote Originally Posted by Pinyanius View Post
    Then, what's the best option to begin a MOTU classic collection without buying on Ebay? Do you know other marketplaces? Thanks for your replies, if you do them. 1
    just dont start collecting classics. The train left many years ago with the matty collector subscription for classics. The subscription was affordable. I you werent a subcriber from day one, you are doomed.
    Yeah I had a subscription from the very start but then I lost interest in classics.

Better start collecting origins or eben 200x, which I think are much better toys

Thanks for your advice, dualban. Now I've started collecting origins and I'm very happy with the result of the figurines, though I've started collecting some loose classic figurines from ebay, too. I can't do anything: I am a nostalgic. Anyway, I compare the prices of the classic figures and select the best choice. It's a bit difficult to identify my avatar, but it's Prince Adam with Sled from Origins collection. Well, now I've change it (haha). Thanks for your reply.
    Last edited by Pinyanius; January 16, 2022 at 07:13am.
    UT CASTRUM GRAYSKULL CADIT, ITA ORBIS MUNDI