Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Book of Boba Fett?

Book of Boba Fett?

I'm surprised there's no thread for this unless I just didn't see it. Anyway...What do you think of this? I dunno....Not exactly impressed personally. I suppose there's just too many years of "thinking" and seeing Boba Fett as this no nonsense bad-ass in every form of media imaginable, then you get this.....

Doesn't really seem *that* skilled at fighting, perhaps he's just old, and not really a fan of the persona that they gave him. Kinda slow/boring in a bunch of areas. Hutts also looked terrible IMO. Almost like the tech hasn't gotten an ounce better in that dept. since Lucas added him in New Hope.

Defiantly some bright spots *loved the black wookie and little things like the electronic translator for the Ithorian mayor.* It's not ALL bad or even close to that, but the expectations were set a bit too high I suppose. We'll see, plenty more to go.

I dig it so far. I know in the prequels Temuera Morrison is Jango and he has the New Zealand accent, but it leaves me because the original Boba Fett had an American accent.

I like the Sand People stuff, I've always thought they were really interesting.

It's an interesting mixed bag. The present day stuff is s'right to me... it's fine and all, but nothing that gets me excited or breaking any new ground.

The flashback stuff is where the show shines for me. Now his time with the Tusken people is a lot more my speed. I hope there's more of that within the rest of the series.
    Tweeterhead 1/5 Legends Statue Want List: Zodak (200X style), King Grayskull (Revelation style), He-Man 2.0, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Beast Man, Trap-Jaw, Kobra Khan

I agree that the Dances With Wolves style flashbacks are easily the best part of the show. However that might also be down to the fact that the two
    episodes so far are were mostly focused on them, with the present stuff getting treated like a B plot.

In regards to Boba's fighting skills. It seems that the Disney era is mostly portraying it's none force user characters as more down to earth. Boba is still a great fighter, but he's not the kind of over the top one man army the EU/Legends made him out to be.

I don't really have to many preconceive notions, of Boba's character, I've never really been a fan of the old EU/Legends, nor have I ever gotten the hype surrounding Boba, beyond the fact that he looked cool. So I'm probably more forgiving of changes to his character than most.

On another Star Wars not, I'm kind of hoping the Ninth Jedi gets expanded into a full series.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I dig it so far. I know in the prequels Temuera Morrison is Jango and he has the New Zealand accent, but it leaves me because the original Boba Fett had an American accent.

I think Lucas retconned Boba into having Morrison's voice in one of the special editions.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post

I think Lucas retconned Boba into having Morrison's voice in one of the special editions.
    That explains it. I can't watch those edited version, every change takes me out of the movie and makes me annoyed.

High expectations is always the issue

Hi,
    I guess always expecting too much is an issue.
    In my case I am expecting too much on the Obi-wan in production series but the book of Boba Fet was meant to be an spinoff from The Mandalorian.
    So I was honestly not expecting more than what was delivered...
    I remember when the Episode VI came and how the majority complained about it always saying that Empire Strikes Back was and it is always superior...
    Then we got episode 1 and Jar Jar Binks ruined an incredible Darth Maul.
    Then more complains about politics in episode II with a decent conclusion in Episode 3...
    Then all the complains of the blu-ray editions and multiple re-editions of the original trilogy...
    The halted 3d movies (only in 3d episode 1 in movie theatres)
    The angry feeling when selling to disney ...
    The insulting label of "legends" (not even a multi-universe concept) to the extended universe, not even Shadows of the Empire (the most official of a non-movie project) was canon anymore...
    Then the new trilogy poor planned without continuity between 7 & 8 (both very bad: the first one killing Han, the 2nd killing all the plots from 7...and the 9 killing all the plots from 8...so after this long introduction...

No, the book of Bobba Fet did not disappointed me at all.

I had so low expectations by now on Star Wars that this was actually very enjoyable for me:
    Nice outfit, nice timing, nice parkour, nice background story projecting to the future.
    I did not enjoy Bobba so much since the Christmas Special, actually the character resembles to me very much the scenes of this 'friendly' stranger helping Luke...

Bobba is a key character in SOTE (Shadows) and I liked him very much since its first appearance in the Mandalorean and having the touch of getting the same actor from Jango is superb Ÿ‘Œ he deserved this.

Now I have high expectations for this series too. Congratulations to Jon Favreau. Hi is saving the saga from the pitful of 7-8-9...hope he can manage a universe discountinuity with these movies through a kind of multi-universe concept and now refer to those as the legends and return elements from the original extended universe back to 'canon' unfortunatly Carrie is no longer with us but CGI is!
    Last edited by Eterno; January 8, 2022 at 02:51am.

The first episode seemed to go by too slowly.... I thought it was still ok, and I think the series will get better.

I hope we get an Obi-Wan Kenobi tease at the end of the show. I'm waiting with bated breath for that show. I hope it's going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    It's ok, but after Dances with Wolves, Avatar and God knows what else, there's only so much of "being taken in by the natives" that I can take. I hope the Sand People angle is over at this point. You wanna sprinkle it in here and there fine, but it dominated a good portion of the first two episodes now, move on....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by theAncients View Post
    I hope we get an Obi-Wan Kenobi tease at the end of the show. I'm waiting with bated breath for that show. I hope it's going to be good.
    I was thinking the same thing and to be honest I don't see how it "doesn't" happen, especially now that they've introduced Black Krrsantan. It would be crazy not to have a flashback scene between those two not only for the cool factor, but as an intro to Obi-Wan.

Court Magician Devastated Studios's Avatar

A tired forumla

Just to throw my two cents in:

It seems Hollywood's way of hooking an audience for new shows is to tease with a known quantity, Boba Fett, Hawkeye, etc, or the title of a known IP, Star Trek, Dr. Who, Star Wars, The Witcher, etc, and then make a series where the hook itself is sidelined for any number of cliche's: The young Female/ strong woman, who takes over the reigns, etc seems to be popular. It works only in as much as the fans will tolerate the bait and switch marketing.

In This series, it seems already that the showrunner's intent is to nerf Beta Fett into obscurity in order prop up other characters. Also, it's, for me, A complete departure from why this character was such a fan favorite since Empire Strikes Back.

It's been going on for several years now. Making a show with a title that people recognize, only to change everythibng that people love about the IP and then blame the fans for not liking it.
    LOVE TO ALL THINGS MOTU!

Quote Originally Posted by Devastated Studios View Post

It seems Hollywood's way of hooking an audience for new shows is to tease with a known quantity, Boba Fett, Hawkeye, etc, or the title of a known IP, Star Trek, Dr. Who, Star Wars, The Witcher, etc, and then make a series where the hook itself is sidelined for any number of cliche's: The young Female/ strong woman, who takes over the reigns, etc seems to be popular. It works only in as much as the fans will tolerate the bait and switch marketing.

In This series, it seems already that the showrunner's intent is to nerf Beta Fett into obscurity in order prop up other characters. Also, it's, for me, A complete departure from why this character was such a fan favorite since Empire Strikes Back.

It's been going on for several years now. Making a show with a title that people recognize, only to change everythibng that people love about the IP and then blame the fans for not liking it.
    I don't see how Hawkey is an example of that. Given that Clint was front and center throughout the show and Kate was pretty overtly shown to be not as good. It also ignores that Kate as a character has been around and been Clint's successor for over 15 years. Or that fact that The Hawkeye show was also taking ques from Hawkey's own ongoing series, that featured Kate in a similarly prominent role. Don't go making this speech while proving you know jack about the source material.

Hell even in Boba Fett none of what you are talking about is present. Unless we Fennic's single parkour chase in the present day B-Plot to somehow overshadow Boba, especially when the show so far has been 80% Boba's dances with wolves flashback lol.

"Also, it's, for me, A complete departure from why this character was such a fan favorite since Empire Strikes Back. "

Given Boba's role in the original trilogy, anything more than standing around looking cool and getting taken out by a blind man, would be a departure.
    Last edited by A Dalek; January 9, 2022 at 10:33am.

I guess it's all in how you interpret the episode, but I appreciate the vitriolic response to my personal opinion. You have a great day.

By the way, if that's all you think Boba Fett did in the original trilogy, you must've fallen asleep through the last thirty minutes of ESB.
    Last edited by Devastated Studios; January 9, 2022 at 01:43pm.
    LOVE TO ALL THINGS MOTU!

Quote Originally Posted by theAncients View Post
    The female Tusken training Boba, will turn out to br Obi's daughter.

I guess it's all in how you interpret the episode, but I appreciate the vitriolic response to my personal opinion. You have a great day.
    The only thing I would say was "vitriolic" in my response was me saying you didn't seem to no jack about the source material in regards to Hawkeye. Because frankly that's the impression your post gave.

Let's put something in perspective. I was in my mid teens when Kate was introduced and made the second Hawkeye, I'm in my thirties now. She isn't some new element they made up recently.

And like I said, the only thing of note Fennic has done so far in Boba's show is have a parkour chase. While the main focus on the show has been Boba's flash backs.

As for Boba's role in Empire? He does some tracking and then Vader captures Han for him. The dude has five minutes of screen time and four lines of dialogue across two movies. The only thing that made him stand out was that he looked cool.
    Last edited by A Dalek; January 9, 2022 at 01:59pm.

I'm not a fan of the Hawkeye series but that's mainly because I really don't like Kate Bishop or the source material the series is based off. I wanted a Hawkeye series where Clint was the main character and didn't have to share the spotlight and wasn't a vehicle to just introduce a new MCU character. I wanted a show about the former SHIELD Agent and a flashback series chronicling his time in SHIELD or like a crime drama about him trying to move on from the Avengers and the "blip." Having said that, I don't think it was a "bait and switch." From the start we knew that the show would revolve around Kate. Marvel didn't hide that story point. If you felt they "bait and switched" you, then you didn't pay attention to any of the press or trailers that came out before the show started. Kate's all over everything related to this show.

I don't know if I would use the term "nerf" but IMO the flashbacks aren't doing Fett any favors. He's supposed to be the best bounty hunter in the galaxy but he's being schooled by a bunch of Tusken Raiders. I think the Tuskens are interesting characters in all but I feel this is a bit of filler. I didn't really need to know how Fett learned to use the stick. Again, he's supposed to be the best bounty hunter in the galaxy, it's easy to assume that he's well versed in many fighting techniques and knows how to use most know weapons. I didn't need an explanation. Seeing how he escaped the Sarlac and lost his armor was cool and was needed to fill in the gap between ROTJ and the Mandalorian but the Tusken stuff seems like something that could have been told in a comic book for die hard fans. Unless the Tuskens come and help Fett during his upcoming skirmishes with his enemies, I don't see a point in showing his time with the Tuskens.

I wanna see where the "current"crime boss story goes. This is the bread and butter of the show. I wanna see more of the Hutts and Boba fighting for his new empire.

Heroic Warrior
    As for Boba's role in Empire? He does some tracking and then Vader captures Han for him. The dude has five minutes of screen time and four lines of dialogue across two movies. The only thing that made him stand out was that he looked cool.
    Theres more to Fett in ESB than your summation. Its not overt but traits of deviousness, money lust and a shoot first mentality are evident among the limited screen time and dialogue.

While I agree with you in the broader sense, there have been much worse examples of this than Hawkeye, hell Revelation is a prime example. Promise He-Man and hardly get any of him. Terminator, Star Wars, Star Trek, Dr Who are all much better examples imo.

I didn't think Hawkeye was particularly bad as a bait and switch. Clint had been around for a while in the MCU across multiple movies so it kinda makes sense he is getting older and they went the route they did (Brenner isn't getting any younger either lol). Plus Kate wasn't a complete Mary Sue like Rey from Star Wars or Michael Burnham from Discovery, she isn't perfect and better than Clint at everything, she doubts herself. The men aren't all complete incompetent either etc etc. Don't get me wrong, the series wasn't perfect but I did enjoy it, it was better than I was expecting when I heard what it was about.

As for Boba Fett, while I love the look of the show, actually story has been a snooze fest. The most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy gets his ass kicked by virtually everyone and has gone from complete bad ass to the most reasonable, kind, compassion "crime lord" ever! lol.

I would have much rathered another season of The Mandalorian.

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    . Plus Kate wasn't a complete Mary Sue like Rey from Star Wars
    While they botched the exicution with Rey I don't think she's bad as a concept. Hell Kara is basically Rey redux and she's well liked.

At the end of the day I don't think Rey's abilities are the problem, she never beat Kylo in a straight fight (at least from what I've heard in regards to RoS). The problem is that she's kind of bland and just dosn't have the likeability, warmth and charm that such a character needs to have. Which are all traits Kara has and likely what lead to her being accepted by the fans.

While they botched the exicution with Rey I don't think she's bad as a concept. Hell Kara is basically Rey redux and she's well liked.

At the end of the day I don't think Rey's abilities are the problem, she never beat Kylo in a straight fight (at least from what I've heard in regards to RoS). The problem is that she's kind of bland and just dosn't have the likeability, warmth and charm that such a character needs to have. Which are all traits Kara has and likely what lead to her being accepted by the fans.
    I think you need to watch this full clip from Force Awakens again.

Rey not only "overpowers" Kylos force pull ability on the lightsaber she then absolutely kicks the ass of a full trained Sith in a lightsaber fight when she herself has had zero, ZERO training in either the force or lightsabers lol! The only reason he doesn't die is because of plot armor and an earthquake.....hell, she even physically matches him for raw strength when they each have hold of the others lightsaber arm towards the end of the fight.

This is in the first damn movie and she kicks his ass without any real trouble once she closes her eyes and becomes all zen.

If that isn't the definition of a Mary Sue, I don't know what is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJTz-ahXyyI

I wasn't a huge fan of Kara but at least she had a long history of training and fighting to back up her abilities.

I think you need to watch this full clip from Force Awakens again.

Rey not only "overpowers" Kylos force pull ability on the lightsaber she then absolutely kicks the ass of a full trained Sith in a lightsaber fight when she herself has had zero, ZERO training in either the force or lightsabers lol! The only reason he doesn't die is because of plot armor and an earthquake.....hell, she even physically matches him for raw strength when they each have hold of the others lightsaber arm towards the end of the fight.

This is in the first damn movie and she kicks his ass without any real trouble once she closes her eyes and becomes all zen.

If that isn't the definition of a Mary Sue, I don't know what is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJTz-ahXyyI

I wasn't a huge fan of Kara but at least she had a long history of training and fighting to back up her abilities.
    Kylo was massively handicapped in the Force Awakens fight, both his physical injuries and confliction over just killing his dad were severely hampering his abilities. It was pretty clear that those things were done to justify Rey coming out on top.

As for Kara, while it can be inferred that she had some hands on practice with a lightsaber (in an era were pretty much no one else did), I doubt she had a long history of fighting given how she is a kid who likely didn't see any real action until the events of the Ninth Jedi.

Kylo was massively handicapped in the Force Awakens fight, both his physical injuries and confliction over just killing his dad were severely hampering his abilities. It was pretty clear that those things were done to justify Rey coming out on top.
    We must have watched something very different, he was in control and absolutely hammering her wanting to become her teacher until she (without ANY training) communed with the force and then kicked his ass. If he was struggling at the start I'd say you had a point but I don't think your on the right track with this one.

I'm guessing we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I think Rey was terribly written, well not just her, the entire sequel trilogy. But if you liked it, more power to you.

We must have watched something very different, he was in control and absolutely hammering her wanting to become her teacher until she (without ANY training) communed with the force and then kicked his ass. If he was struggling at the start I'd say you had a point but I don't think your on the right track with this one.

I'm guessing we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. I think Rey was terribly written, well not just her, the entire sequel trilogy. But if you liked it, more power to you.
    I don't like it. Did you miss the part were I called Rey boring? Just cause I don't like something dosn't mean I have to agree with all the popular criticisms of it. And besides it was getting a way from my original point and that was, how while Rey didn't work, Kara (who is essentially the same concept as Rey) did. Despite the latter only getting a single 20 minute short (so far at least). Clearly showing the problems with Rey are the exicution, not the concept.
    Last edited by A Dalek; January 10, 2022 at 12:22pm.

It's a slow burn for sure. Kind of wish the flashbacks were a bit more spread out. Episode 2 spent way too much time on the flashback.

Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun FETT! AAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I love the new look! And, judging by the OVERWHELMING reaction on social media, so does NO ONE ELSE.

FI6etP6WYAMJp4W.png

FJAlDncVcAArBTR.jpg
    LOVE TO ALL THINGS MOTU!

The introduction of the Black Krrsantan was so awesome. I find this a mediocre show, but one thing that I love, is that so much lore is being introduced in these disney star wars shows.