Thread: Prince Adam & Cringer - Two Qs about their Filmation characters

Court Magician

Prince Adam & Cringer - Two Qs about their Filmation characters

Hey all!

Just got through the entire first season of Filmation's He-Man with my son (age 12) and had a blast. However, he had some questions that I couldn't answer! maybe you can help?

About Prince Adam - why does he wear pink and purple? More specifically, what was the design idea behind it?

My GUESS? Since Adam/He-Man look basically alike (Adam doesn't grow and increase size like he does in 200X or Netflix) the designers wanted to use the colors to make him look as drastically different as possible? We've discussed gender-typical colors from the '80s and how things have changed since then, so he gets that a dude wearing pink/purple back then would hit differently than it does today. Pink/purple Adam would be an equivalent to Clark Kent wearing 'nerd' glasses to disguise his true identity, roughly.

Anybody know if any of the creators have ever discussed this specific costume choice for Adam?

Also, about Cringer... My son thinks his personality gets replaced with a new one when he transforms into Battle Cat since their personas are so different. I think it's more like he gets a major boost of testosterone and sort of 'roid-rages out with the power running through him. What's the current thinking on this?

Any thoughts/opinions welcome! Thanks!!

Check out this link. It has some cool info on his design and development as well as his original Mark Taylor concept art:

https://battleramblog.com/prince-ada...f-he-man-1984/

Court Magician
    excellent link, thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    Check out this link. It has some cool info on his design and development as well as his original Mark Taylor concept art:

https://battleramblog.com/prince-ada...f-he-man-1984/
    Who else thinks Adam should have rocked that hat?
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"I throw myself into the sea
    Release the wave, let it wash over me
    To face the fear I once believed
    The tears of the Dragon for you and for me"
    - Bruce Dickinson, "Tears of the Dragon"

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by BradGallaway View Post
    Hey all!

Just got through the entire first season of Filmation's He-Man with my son (age 12) and had a blast. However, he had some questions that I couldn't answer! maybe you can help?

About Prince Adam - why does he wear pink and purple? More specifically, what was the design idea behind it?

My GUESS? Since Adam/He-Man look basically alike (Adam doesn't grow and increase size like he does in 200X or Netflix) the designers wanted to use the colors to make him look as drastically different as possible? We've discussed gender-typical colors from the '80s and how things have changed since then, so he gets that a dude wearing pink/purple back then would hit differently than it does today. Pink/purple Adam would be an equivalent to Clark Kent wearing 'nerd' glasses to disguise his true identity, roughly.

Anybody know if any of the creators have ever discussed this specific costume choice for Adam?

Also, about Cringer... My son thinks his personality gets replaced with a new one when he transforms into Battle Cat since their personas are so different. I think it's more like he gets a major boost of testosterone and sort of 'roid-rages out with the power running through him. What's the current thinking on this?

Any thoughts/opinions welcome! Thanks!!

1) In the case of Prince Adam, having outlandish or "garish" colors on the Royal wardrobe is something that even in historical settings was considered a sign of wealth. Not everyone could afford fancy fabrics with variety of colors.
    In Filmation settings though, if you look at the Royal Palace Eternos. It's pink all around. So looking from that perspective, Prince Adam more than fits in the environment.

A very old fan-myth was, that Arthur Nadel was colorblind and thought that Prince Adam wore a gray vest. And thus let it go on-screen. But it has been debunked.

2) On the topic of Cringer... it's true their personalities seem very much far apart. But it's still Cringer. For in Filmation the Sword only "enchances that, which is already inside". So Cringer doesn't become a complete different character or anything, he has that warrior fighting spirit inside.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    1) In the case of Prince Adam, having outlandish or "garish" colors on the Royal wardrobe is something that even in historical settings was considered a sign of wealth. Not everyone could afford fancy fabrics with variety of colors.
    In Filmation settings though, if you look at the Royal Palace Eternos. It's pink all around. So looking from that perspective, Prince Adam more than fits in the environment.

A very old fan-myth was, that Arthur Nadel was colorblind and thought that Prince Adam wore a gray vest. And thus let it go on-screen. But it has been debunked.

2) On the topic of Cringer... it's true their personalities seem very much far apart. But it's still Cringer. For in Filmation the Sword only "enchances that, which is already inside". So Cringer doesn't become a complete different character or anything, he has that warrior fighting spirit inside.
    Not sure if this influenced the color choices for Adam's wardrobe (I thought the maroon vest of the toy looked better personally) but in older times pink was often seen as a masculine color, more related to the passionate red, while blue was correspondingly the more feminine color. Pink did not really become a feminine gender signifier until sometime in the 1940s.

Other than that, I guess someone on the design department just liked pink. Or maybe they had a lot of pink ink.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"I throw myself into the sea
    Release the wave, let it wash over me
    To face the fear I once believed
    The tears of the Dragon for you and for me"
    - Bruce Dickinson, "Tears of the Dragon"