Thread: Action Figure Price Increases

Heroic Warrior

Action Figure Price Increases

It looks like action figures are ready to go up in price again. Great

Heroic Warrior
    Well this will play a big role on the future of my collecting. I only collect s7 and recently started classified black series and marvel. So I been thinking about the black series. I really don't need to collect them. Marvel been a impulse buy I'm thinking due to all my preorders not coming in. Huge gi joe fan and the reason why I got into toys as an adult and classifieds are on point now and got me thinking about selling my 25th and modern collection and it's over 20 grand spent, so it's legit huge and I legit lost interest in small figures since I opened my first motuc in 2014. I will miss my vehicle collection though. It's seriously huge to compliment the figure amount.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

I cut off S7 Turtles and T-cats already. I have passed on Masterverse and CGI. So it's only Origins for me until they run out of figures or I run out of money.

Heroic Warrior
    Good thing I'm not a completist and content with just cherry picking the new stuff. Also, been picking up older figures lately and that's actually been pretty fun to collect.

When inflation calms down and we go somewhat back to normal will everything that was affected drop back down in price?
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    When inflation calms down and we go somewhat back to normal will everything that was affected drop back down in price?
    I think we all know the answer to that question.

This question got me thinking though: does anyone ever remember a specific toy line that came down in price? I don't mean like Motu Classics was $20+ and then Motu Origins was $15+; I mean the exact same line went down in price. And I'm not referring to a temporary sale, I mean a relatively long term status quo price. I've collected toys for almost 40 years now, and I can't think of a single case. I'm sure it's possible, and I may have even collected such a line at some point; I just honestly don't recall any such instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I think we all know the answer to that question.

This question got me thinking though: does anyone ever remember a specific toy line that came down in price? I don't mean like Motu Classics was $20+ and then Motu Origins was $15+; I mean the exact same line went down in price. And I'm not referring to a temporary sale, I mean a relatively long term status quo price. I've collected toys for almost 40 years now, and I can't think of a single case. I'm sure it's possible, and I may have even collected such a line at some point; I just honestly don't recall any such instance.
    Well yea I don’t recall it either. I’m only asking because I was 2 the last time inflation was this bad and people keep saying prices will go back to normal. I wasn’t sure if they meant every day things like milk and eggs or everything

Hard to get over the fact that origins will cost as much/almost as classics
    Last edited by Brasco; January 27, 2022 at 11:43am.
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    Well yea I don’t recall it either. I’m only asking because I was 2 the last time inflation was this bad and people keep saying prices will go back to normal. I wasn’t sure if they meant every day things like milk and eggs or everything

Hard to get over the fact that origins will cost as much/almost as classics
    Other than food, which has different market pressures that return prices to normal (though some items will probably stay a bit higher) as inflation eases, most businesses will keep the price increases. They are in the profit business. As long as the demand is there, there's no reason for them to lower the price just because they can.

Two things would likely change that, though: 1, if sales dropped dramatically after the price increase or 2, a competitor lowers its prices to try to gain market share at the cost of the extra profit.

If prices go up even higher, I will flex my cherry picking skills to the max.

At some point, I think new toys will get so expensive that I'd rather spend my money on vintage 80's toys. And it just so happens that there are 3 descent toy shops in my area that get in a good amount of 80's toys.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Well, years ago when the Australian dollar was higher than the USD, LEGO was still costing more in Australia than the US.

Nowadays though most of the LEGO sets are permanently priced roughly the same once the exchange rate is taken into account, and in a few cases, actually cheaper in Australia than the US.

Does that count?

Widget
    Prices have come down on some of the items I collect. (Combat Joe, Mego etc). I will still collect a single new line (complete retail releases not too many exclusives) with Origins. If prices climb too high I too will only collect vintage when you compare quality and price vintage wins if it becomes cheaper. Typically if new stuff goes up so does old stuff too. Guess we need to wait and see

Toys are expensive enough, man. Mattelís Deluxe Masterverse figures are an exercise in flying a little too close to the sun already. Youíre telling me that an extra accessory or two justifies a $10 price jump? Maybe it does, who knows. When I look at a $30 Skelegod or Faker, suddenly Super 7ís $55 Turtles and Cats doesnít seem too bad.
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.

Master of New Adventures!
    Many years ago, back when I was in college, there was a "sugar crisis (shortage)". I remember the grocery store I shopped at put up a sign in an aisle that spoke about the shortage and apologized for the need to raise prices, notably on soft drinks. I felt badly for the grocer. Months later, after the 'sugar crises' passed, the sign was gone but the price of soft drinks never went down. That was when I realized we were all being screwed and that once prices go up in a supply-and-demand and market-driven society, they rarely go down.

Such is life.

Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; February 5, 2022 at 06:03pm.

I quit buying almost everything. Selling off a bunch of my stuff as a result honestly. I guess I just decided it wasn't really fun anymore and that there were better things I could do with the money, especially now that most Black Series figures cost more than my MOTUC did! Anyway, I doubt prices will fall again unless there's some new lines that come out.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    When I look at a $30 Skelegod or Faker, suddenly Super 7ís $55 Turtles and Cats doesnít seem too bad.
    As good as some of those Ultimates look, I just can't collect a line that is $55 (plus shipping) a figure. I even thought about cherry picking like 4-5 of my favorite figures from each property. But even that would add up.
    "There's only one Master of the Universe and it's He-Man." - Stephen Colbert

"The heart has its reasons of which reason knows nothing." - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    Well, years ago when the Australian dollar was higher than the USD, LEGO was still costing more in Australia than the US.

Nowadays though most of the LEGO sets are permanently priced roughly the same once the exchange rate is taken into account, and in a few cases, actually cheaper in Australia than the US.

Does that count?
    Ha ha, I'm pretty sure that's because everyone started buying the sets from Amazon, EBay or Ali Express and the local market slumped.

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    As good as some of those Ultimates look, I just can't collect a line that is $55 (plus shipping) a figure. I even thought about cherry picking like 4-5 of my favorite figures from each property. But even that would add up.
    I'm right there with ya, bud.

I dread Super 7 announcing they have the rights to damn near anything I like, because I can never have it. Sure, I'm happy for other people, but it's like being a kid, and being happy for your friends that can go swimming while you're stuck at home with a broken leg.
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; February 6, 2022 at 04:27pm.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by FAKER II View Post
    I got the four turtles, bebop & rocksteady. If they do Super Shredder Iíll get him. Otherwise I think Iím done there. Iíve already skipped several childhood favorites.

For the Thundercats, I just want to complete the cats and the mutants. Maaaaaybe Hachiman. Everything else is super ugly. Then Iím out.

Iím glad they donít do the annual subscription thing.
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.