Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney+ Obi Wan Kenobi mini series

Disney+ Obi Wan Kenobi mini series

I haven't find a former thread in 10 pages so I start this one....

Disney+ released the first teaser trailer

I must confess, despite the let down on Boba Fett's series and better forget last trilogy movies, hearing John Williams OST arrangements, Ewan McGregor's voice sounding beaten and defeated and seeing Tatooine during the Empore era again... I'm hyped. I'm getting old for sure

Still, not 100% on the Inquisitors translation from Clone Wars to live action.

Hopefully, this shall be some sort of "The Purge" comic adaptation. I always thought that would have been an awesome Vader movie if done properly
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I am cautiously optimisticÖhoping for the best but expecting mediocrity.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

I am really excited for this series.

I hope they dumped more money into this than they did to BoBF/Mando S2.5.

Heroic Warrior
    I been looking forward to it.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

It's cool to see the Inquisitors in live action.

Although that does kind of suck some of the tension out, since the audience already knows that neither Obi Wan or them are in any danger of dying here.

This show needs to another epic Obi-Wan vs Darth Vader lightsabre duel...with "duel of the fates" playing in the background.

They are so hit or miss, actually a lot more miss than hit.

I really hope they donít screw this up like they did Boba Fett and while I hope itís great, tbh Iím expecting it to suck.
    Calling all fellow Aussies to post in the Australian Collectors Thread

I want to be excited, but Disney made it. So it's hard to.

I will remain cautiously optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I want to be excited, but Disney made it. So it's hard to.

I will remain cautiously optimistic.
    To be fair while Disney's track record of the movies isn't great to say the least. They do generally have more good than bad when it comes to others Star Wars related things.

Yeah Book of Boba was a dud, but Mandalorian, Rebels, Fallen Order and Visions all happened on Disney's watch.

Hell Visions was so good the fans were demanding half the episodes of it get their own spinoffs.

The one show on earth I am hoping...praying...finger crossing....toes crossing will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    To be fair while Disney's track record of the movies isn't great to say the least. They do generally have more good than bad when it comes to others Star Wars related things.

Yeah Book of Boba was a dud, but Mandalorian, Rebels, Fallen Order and Visions all happened on Disney's watch.

Hell Visions was so good the fans were demanding half the episodes of it get their own spinoffs.
    To each his own. I respectfully disagree that the balance leans towards good. The movies are far and away the most important to me, and 2 of the 3 were horrible to me. The other was meh... Their track record with established Lucas-era characters is atrocious, again, in my opinion. I fear what they will do to Kenobi, Luke, and Vader/Anakin.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post

I really liked The Bad Batch cartoon. Although I would really disagree about Visions...2 or 3 episodes were good the rest were bland.

Heroic Warrior
    Spoiler alert, Obi-wan gets killed by Darth Vader.

Honestly, that's my biggest gripe with these shows...for most characters, we already know what their overall arch is going to be. To me, that takes out some of the excitement. Still, I love Star Wars, so will watch this regardless. But I just hope they would break some new ground and explore other time lines and events not in some way connected to the Lucas Trilogy.

I understand that many of us are quite disappointed in the way that most SW material coming from Disney has the quality of a Netflix anime franchise; but this is the first Disney+ production that has an actor like Ewan McGregor (and Hayden Christiansen in a lesser way) returning to such iconic character from the saga.

To be honest, I kinda wished the Inquisitors would have been left aside in this story and I do hope that no Rebels characters are going to be appearing either. I think they are part of the SW universe but not relevant in Obi Wan's journey, even when Darth Maul ending happened in Rebels at the hands of Ben Kenobi.

Also, Vader and Kenobi should not be facing each other in this mini series IMHO. Most of us met Kenobi & Vader confrontation in SW Ep IV, and it is such an iconic moment in movie history, even when it is depicted how they reach that point in Ep III, that inserting a new battle between those events it would quite diminish the impact on the original reunion
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

Heroic Warrior
    I kinda hate that they're having Obi Wan and Vader face off again....its like they couldn't help themselves but whatever. Most of SW doesnt seem to be for me these days anyway. I'm fine loving the OT and the story of how the first couple of movies came together (would love a dramatization of the Empire of Dreams documentary) but beyond that I can take it or leave it.

Disney had Hamill, Ford, Fisher, and McDiarmid and, well... didn't really help them make good movies. If Kathleen Kennedy had her hands on it, we'll need a new hope. If she was mostly hands off, it could be ok or even great. I am excited to see McGregor and Christiansen again, regardless of how the show goes. It'll be cool to see them. I'm glad they are using the REAL Star Wars music again in the trailer. I hope it's in the show. It goes a long way to setting up the feel of Star Wars. I don't know why they are only figuring this out now.

I like the themes that have been shown so far. That it's the story of losing. Sort of like if we had gotten a middle movie between Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame. I would have liked that. I really do want to see this story, A LOT. Which is why I'm trying to temper my hopes. I remember being so excited going into the Episode 7 and 8 only to have the smashed to bits.

I think the show will probably be at least ok, but there's no reason why it can't be great except that it's Disney. I personally don't think any Star Wars we've gotten from Disney (I haven't watched all the cartoons so I can't say) is great, except the Vader scene at the end of Rogue One and the Luke scene at the end of Mandolorian. I also haven't watched BoBF yet as I'd rather not give Disney too much of my money. I'm waiting for Kenobi to come out and then I'll binge both series.

I also kinda think Vader and Kenobi fighting again is a cheat. But you know, cash money wins. Disney is desperate for some cash money.

If this is bad, I will cry.

Star Wars and Masters of the Universe are so dear to me, I cannot put it into words. No other franchises even compare.

For me, Star Wars died the day Disney touched it.

To use a metaphor, the Original Trilogy and much of the Expanded material that followed it was crafted by fine chefs who had a vision and wanted to deliver the finest cuisine possible.

When Disney got it, they turned it into a fast-food chain and started pumping out ready-to-eat meals with no love of the lore, the property, nor its fans.

I don't want to start another one of "those" debates, but this is how I feel and I will never look at Star Wars the same way that I did back in 1983.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

To use a metaphor, the Original Trilogy and much of the Expanded material that followed it was crafted by fine chefs who had a vision and wanted to deliver the finest cuisine possible.

When Disney got it, they turned it into a fast-food chain and started pumping out ready-to-eat meals with no love of the lore, the property, nor its fans.

I don't want to start another one of "those" debates, but this is how I feel and I will never look at Star Wars the same way that I did back in 1983.
    Right in the feels...

George Lucas ruined Star Wars with the awful prequel trilogy a decade before Disney entered the picture.

Heroic Warrior
    Interesting that McGregor's forehead mole is gone. Rather blatant in the prequels since McGuinness didn't have it. Continuity in effect? Curious if he had it removed or if they just went CGI to erase it.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    George Lucas ruined Star Wars with the awful prequel trilogy a decade before Disney entered the picture.
    He was also a bit pompous, surrounded himself with yes-men & absolutely shrugged off ANY critique. People said his dialog was terrible back in 1977. Much of what went into SW to begin with was a team effort. The cast were constantly rewriting things. Fox edited the first film without Lucas. He also notoriously mistreated David Prowse & I don't much blame Alec Guinness for disliking the franchise overall or how fans turned it into an obsession that ran their lives(funny enough, the one fan he really offended later agreed with him that it should NOT be a life-filling obsession). The prequels were what HE wanted which is why they have so many plot holes & retcons(the big one for me was the Jedi going from being a mysterious yet honorable group of the past to a cult that kidnaps babies "because we think they need to be trained" & ultimately treated one of their newest prodigies like dirt, turning him to evil). Plus he never really regarded the EU save for a few tiny pieces he picked from it to work into canon, effectively letting others write free content for him while he collected licensing off every bit of it. Go look how much EU was ignored when the prequels came out. Also look at the bad reviews they got plus the clogged toy aisles with clearance sales all over. I remember buying most of that stuff for $2 per figure. It's facts you won't see Nerdrotic acknowledge.

You can also think George for this

I get tired of people acting like he's flawless or flat out ignoring the contributions made by others. He's not quite the horrible man that Gene Roddenberry was but he's close at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Even though the prequel movies weren't great, they did introduce lots of great new characters and the spin off Clone Wars shows were great.

As bad as the prequels were they were still vastly more interesting than any of the Disney movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Even though the prequel movies weren't great, they did introduce lots of great new characters and the spin off Clone Wars shows were great.

As bad as the prequels were they were still vastly more interesting than any of the Disney movies.
    ^^^ This.

I'll not deny that the prequels aren't the greatest pieces of film, and I always wished that Lucas left the events of the Clone Wars/Anakin/Palpatine up to our imaginations, but at least it was the creator's choice to do what he wanted with the world that he created.

Disney, on the other hand, gives anyone who wants it a night with Star Wars at a cheap motel for two bucks...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

^^^ This.

I'll not deny that the prequels aren't the greatest pieces of film, and I always wished that Lucas left the events of the Clone Wars/Anakin/Palpatine up to our imaginations...
    I think he should have covered the more exciting parts of the Clone Wars rather than what he chose to put in the movies.
    Most fans would rather have seen the fun exciting adventures from both Clone Wars TV shows.