Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Disney+ Obi Wan Kenobi mini series

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    It was not her idea to reach out to Obi-Wan Kenobi in Episode 4. She was given the mission to bring Obi-Wan to Alderaan by her father, Bail Organa. Her message made no mention of her knowing Obi-Wan simply describing him as a general serving her father during the Clone Wars. Her tone had no notion of familiarity between her and Obi-Wan. She was simply delivering a message to a stranger she had no prior knowledge of their existence.
    Besides her not recognizing him by any chance nor mourn him when she escapes the Death Star with Luke & Han... well, she recovers pretty fine after loosing her family and all entire Alderaan pretty much at the same time also...
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    Welp, y'all talked me out of it. I have ZERO desire to watching Kenobi.

...and this was the last straw.

Is he right? (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jtSN4Q6MOg
    So I strongly disagree with this guy’s assessment. It seems like he just did not under any circumstance want this show to be made, and his biggest complaint is that it DIDN’T break continuity.

Spoilers:

After her pathetic attempt to kill Vader he just doesn’t take Reva seriously. The scene doesn’t even read like the Grand Inquisitor was even attempting to kill her since he retorts that “we will leave you like we found you.” The scene doesn’t read like they intended to or thought they killed her.

All of the people saying Obi-wan just should have killed Vader. I mean you can make a practical argument but that seems out of his character. He just got emotional about how bad he screwed his friend up… then you expected him to end his life? And also it was a core theme of the series that Kenobi spent a decade mourning killing his friend. To think he’d repeat that seems odd to me.

There’s always been some EU story that has Luke in a precarious situation with someone he shouldn’t know about. It’s nothing new. Having him just miss seeing a lightsaber is a little cheap and weird but it’s not like their isn’t precedent. In the EU Maul did the same thing and fans seemed to think that was “kewl”. So it feels like a dumb thing to complain about.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Welp, y'all talked me out of it. I have ZERO desire to watching Kenobi.

...and this was the last straw.

Is he right? (NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jtSN4Q6MOg
    Yes, he is absolutely right.

I warned my brother not to watch it, he got bored over the weekend and watched the first episode and then rang me to tell me I was right...and to think it gets worse after E1

The Disney sequel trilogy was terrible but I still loved the OT. I could seperate the two because the original characters played such a small role, it was like it wasn't even real SW.
    The Mandalorian I enjoy
    Boba Fett was a joke but he was only a side character so I could get over that too.
    BUT Obi-wan, for whatever reason this did it, this really has lessened my love of the original trilogy.

I'm sure there are some out there that enjoyed it to some degree but, if you are a fan of the OT but haven't really loved Disney SW, do yourself a favour and skip it.

It really is as bad as the 'haters" say and it may tarnish the original SW for you like it has for me.
    Calling all fellow Aussies to post in the Australian Collectors Thread

Honestly, this series is a pointless waste of time. It adds nothing to the lore, and tells a story devoid of tension that wasn't worth telling. It really feels like filler created just as an excuse to film a couple of lightsaber battles between two iconic Star Wars characters from the past. It's empty, cynical nostalgia manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Honestly, this series is a pointless waste of time. It adds nothing to the lore, and tells a story devoid of tension that wasn't worth telling. It really feels like filler created just as an excuse to film a couple of lightsaber battles between two iconic Star Wars characters from the past. It's empty, cynical nostalgia manipulation.
    This honestly sums up the series in a nutshell.

The first episode is pretty good since it shows Obi-Wan's life on Tatooine and what he had to go through while looking over Luke. That was interesting and a nice set up but it just gets worse from there.

I'm not wasting my time on this show or giving it a view count. From what've I've read from this thread and other discussions, it's a hard pass for me and nothing lost.
    Actually you can't hate something if you haven't watched or try watching it. rationally you can't form an opinion based on other people's view unless you experienced it yourself, not by watching other peoples' negative views on the subject. To make it short, Obi Wan's words are still true in the original Trilogy: “Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?”

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

The series has faults. I just enjoyed McGregor as Obi-Wan and the fights with Darth Vader.

Also it's odd from a story point of view that with Ob-Wan wanting to train Luke to be a Jedi that he would get rid of his lightsabre and stop usong the Force.

There's an obvious gap between ROTS Obi-Wan and A New Hope Obi-Wan. This attempted to fill that gap. I loved the series. The Reva story was absolutely pointless, but the rest I loved.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    Actually you can't hate something if you haven't watched or try watching it. rationally you can't form an opinion based on other people's view unless you experienced it yourself, not by watching other peoples' negative views on the subject. To make it short, Obi Wan's words are still true in the original Trilogy: “Who's the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?”
    OK chief. Never said I hated it. From what I have heard about it, from supporters and non-supporters, it's not worth my time.

I've never tried playing in traffic, so, according to your logic, I should give it a go?

And your 'push' really adds to the reasons not to watch it.

That and Obiwan freaking out about a laser gate when they could have just walked around it.

I mean really...
    Last edited by UsernameMDM; July 5, 2022 at 12:25pm.

Quote Originally Posted by theAncients View Post
    There's an obvious gap between ROTS Obi-Wan and A New Hope Obi-Wan. This attempted to fill that gap. I loved the series. The Reva story was absolutely pointless, but the rest I loved.
    It seems nearly everyone disliked the Reva character and story.

That's the problem - that "obvious gap" was 19 year period in which he goes into hiding to become a hermit in the desert while passively watching over Luke occasionally as he grows up. There's no story there. The Leia rescue mission he goes on was thrown together from nothing to justify making a show. It's called a giant corporation scraping the bottom of the barrel to milk the nostalgia cow for every last possible drop of profit from a stale franchise. And the show is hurt by the absence of any stakes because we already know what happened before and what will happen in the future - the plot is strangled by its own continuity. And I can't comment on the Reva character because that's Tar Swamp territory.

What did you love about it??

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    It seems nearly everyone disliked the Reva character and story.
    People are totally missing the point (As usual) Reva had a backstory and it made sense for her to do what she did...Funny thing people are hating on her because she is a female and black but at least she tied into the PT/OT that LUCAS made and that Filoni & Favreau and the like are trying to do.

Unlike the ST who Rey was a "Mary Sue" and and OBVIOUS "Woke" character but years later people "Accept" the Disney Star Wars as Star Wars but the Lucasfilm Star Wars they **** on and find fault....Oh so uneducated misinformed people they have to complain just to complain...

And pardon me but who went into this thinking "Vader or Obi-Wan are going to die?" or one reason I saw that someone said that vader and obi wan are "Clones" and they died in the Obi Series....

It's almost as smart as some millennial on youtube that was ****** because Qui-Gonn was dead so how is he in the show........ Gee I think Yoda mentioned in ROTS that Obi-Wan had some training to do with Qui-Gon so he could be a force ghost in the OT
    Last edited by Megalodon; July 5, 2022 at 02:20pm.

That's the problem - that "obvious gap" was 19 year period in which he goes into hiding to become a hermit in the desert while passively watching over Luke occasionally as he grows up. There's no story there. The Leia rescue mission he goes on was thrown together from nothing to justify making a show. It's called a giant corporation scraping the bottom of the barrel to milk the nostalgia cow for every last possible drop of profit from a stale franchise. And the show is hurt by the absence of any stakes because we already know what happened before and what will happen in the future - the plot is strangled by its own continuity. And I can't comment on the Reva character because that's Tar Swamp territory.
    Well, you have your mind made up. To each their own.

Well, you have your mind made up. To each their own.
    I'm genuinely curious as to what you loved about it - educate me!

I like the show, but it felt completely unnecessary. I feel this would have made for a better ending:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...ic-ending/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I like the show, but it felt completely unnecessary. I feel this would have made for a better ending:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbr...ic-ending/amp/
    No it doesn't make sense if you think fans hated Reva that would have NEVER worked...IT made more sense that she wanted "revenge" and closure to get as close to him as possible not knowing that he knew all along she was blinded by rage and revenge...

I'm genuinely curious as to what you loved about it - educate me!
    Everything except Reva's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    People are totally missing the point (As usual) Reva had a backstory and it made sense for her to do what she did...
    You think her backstory made sense?

As a youngling she is run through with a lightsaber by Vader, somehow survives, somehow trains herself in the force to become powerful enough to join the inquisitors and plans to exact revenge on Vader.

For 10 (?) years she hunts other Jedi for Vader, brutally murders them and is even considered too aggressive by other inquisitors, cuts off the hands of innocent civilians all as a disguise to one day get the jump on Vader.

She then has the opportunity handed to her by Obiwan and instead of stabbing Vader in the back while he is preoccupied holding an escaping spaceship in place with the force, she waits until he is done then yells as she attacks.

…thats the backstory you are saying makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post

As a youngling she is run through with a lightsaber by Vader, somehow survives, somehow trains herself in the force to become powerful enough to join the inquisitors and plans to exact revenge on Vader.

For 10 (?) years she hunts other Jedi for Vader, brutally murders them and is even considered too aggressive by other inquisitors, cuts off the hands of innocent civilians all as a disguise to one day get the jump on Vader.

She then has the opportunity handed to her by Obiwan and instead of stabbing Vader in the back while he is preoccupied holding an escaping spaceship in place with the force, she waits until he is done then yells as she attacks.

I agree the killing of other Jedi and innocent civillains made very little sense...even more so when she tries to kill Luke.

No it doesn't make sense if you think fans hated Reva that would have NEVER worked...IT made more sense that she wanted "revenge" and closure to get as close to him as possible not knowing that he knew all along she was blinded by rage and revenge...
    I think Reva's story would have had potential as a story on its own. A true conflict of a youngling survivor turning into the Dark Side for revenge.

Personally I think that Obi Wan's story would have worked better without confronting Vader again. Vader being obsessed but only hearing rumors here and there and hunting other Jedi´s across the galaxy as shown in some comics and "The Force Unleashed" video game.

Meanwhile Obi Wan's doing some anonymous adventures or even re-killing Maul, but his story has been too exposed in Clone Wars and Rebels already
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post

You just hate her because you think it's "Woke" and any new Female or minority is Disney trying to shove it down out throats...Were this vocal when an obvious "Woke" In Rey (Mary Sue) was thrown in our face because THAT was the "Woke" agenda....And it didn't work...You could say the same about other genres like Loki trying to kill Thanos with a knife and he stopped and killed Loki because he knew it was coming just like Vader did...Obi Was more of a wild card and he got cocky and arrogant with him because Obi didn't fear him and hid his feelings (mostly) and used it against him alright?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I agree the killing of other Jedi and innocent civillains made very little sense...even more so when she tries to kill Luke.
    But Vader murdered people (And children) but he gets redeemed by his son in Jedi is that not a similar situation with Reva? Guess not...
    Last edited by Megalodon; July 6, 2022 at 07:14pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    Personally I think that Obi Wan's story would have worked better without confronting Vader again. Vader being obsessed but only hearing rumors here and there and hunting other Jedi´s across the galaxy as shown in some comics and "The Force Unleashed" video game.
    This! I said the same thing weeks ago. There was no reason for an Obi-Wan and Vader confrontation in this series. The dialogue between Obi-Wan and Vader on the Death Star in ANH clearly states that they haven't seen each other since Mustafar.

The show overall would have been better with Obi-Wan battling the Head Inquisitor and Vader pursing Obi-Wan but always coming up short. As Obi-Wan is fleeing with Leia have a scene where Obi-Wan senses Anakin on the pursing Imperial ship and then realizing that Vader is actually Anakin. Then after Leia is returned, show the scene with Obi-Wan on Tattooine befriending Luke. As Obi-Wan is leaving the farm, have Qui-Gon visit him and stress to Obi-Wan how important Luke is and that he must protect him. That would have made a great ending to the series.

But Vader murdered people (And children) but he gets redeemed by his son in Jedi is that not a similar situation with Reva? Guess not...
    Anakin/Vader turned to the dark side and was manipulated by Palpatine. Reva didn't turn to the dark side, this was just her awful plan to get revenge Anakin/Vader.

You just hate her because you think it's "Woke"
    Actually I dislike her because she is a poorly written and directed character but feel free to keep on projecting your own prejudices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    This! I said the same thing weeks ago. There was no reason for an Obi-Wan and Vader confrontation in this series. The dialogue between Obi-Wan and Vader on the Death Star in ANH clearly states that they haven't seen each other since Mustafar.

The show overall would have been better with Obi-Wan battling the Head Inquisitor and Vader pursing Obi-Wan but always coming up short. As Obi-Wan is fleeing with Leia have a scene where Obi-Wan senses Anakin on the pursing Imperial ship and then realizing that Vader is actually Anakin. Then after Leia is returned, show the scene with Obi-Wan on Tattooine befriending Luke. As Obi-Wan is leaving the farm, have Qui-Gon visit him and stress to Obi-Wan how important Luke is and that he must protect him. That would have made a great ending to the series.
    That would have been way much better. It would have made more relevant scenes like "I sense something; a presence I have not felt since . . . " which I always thought was awesome for a character that shows no emotions, and then he silently and stoicly waiting for Obi Wan for the final lightsaber duel...

I think I'm going to avoid Obi Wan's miniseries as prequel canon for SW OT

My feedback thread