Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney+ Obi Wan Kenobi mini series

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    ^^^ This.

I'll not deny that the prequels aren't the greatest pieces of film, and I always wished that Lucas left the events of the Clone Wars/Anakin/Palpatine up to our imaginations, but at least it was the creator's choice to do what he wanted with the world that he created.

Disney, on the other hand, gives anyone who wants it a night with Star Wars at a cheap motel for two bucks...
    The problem there is that everything good that came out of prequals, was other works (eg Clone Wars) taking those elements and redeeming them.

That dosn't retroactively redeem the prequals themselves.

Anyway I ended up falling off the Star Wars wagon during the time between the prequals and Disney buying the brand. Because ironically the fanbase turned me off. The prequals sucked, but the prequal bashing just got plain ridiculous after a while and the fanbase would throw temper tantrums anytime they got criticised.

Ironically after Disney bought the brand I did start to take an interest again (I didn't like Last Jedi and Rouge One but by I found Force Awakens fine) although not enough to call myself a big fan.

Of course the fanbase did the exact same thing about sequels that they did with the prequals and that nearly drove me away again until the Mandalorian.

Anyway I think a point were the sequel Trilogy really went wrong was killing Snoke and elevating Kylo to the Big Bad position. Kylo's whole character revolved around the fact that he was kind of a loser and failing to be what Vader was. They were never going to make a villain as cool as Vader, so they made not being as cool as Vader an in story character trait. And that ind of character can work as an underling/rival character (the role he was in in FA) but just dosn't have the legs to be the big bad. So they wrote themselves into a corner and the best they could come up with to get out of it was some cheap Palpatine nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    The problem there is that everything good that came out of prequals, was other works (eg Clone Wars) taking those elements and redeeming them.

That dosn't retroactively redeem the prequals themselves.

Anyway I ended up falling off the Star Wars wagon during the time between the prequals and Disney buying the brand. Because ironically the fanbase turned me off. The prequals sucked, but the prequal bashing just got plain ridiculous after a while and the fanbase would throw temper tantrums anytime they got criticised.

Ironically after Disney bought the brand I did start to take an interest again (I didn't like Last Jedi and Rouge One but by I found Force Awakens fine) although not enough to call myself a big fan.

Of course the fanbase did the exact same thing about sequels that they did with the prequals and that nearly drove me away again until the Mandalorian.

Anyway I think a point were the sequel Trilogy really went wrong was killing Snoke and elevating Kylo to the Big Bad position. Kylo's whole character revolved around the fact that he was kind of a loser and failing to be what Vader was. They were never going to make a villain as cool as Vader, so they made not being as cool as Vader an in story character trait. And that ind of character can work as an underling/rival character (the role he was in in FA) but just dosn't have the legs to be the big bad. So they wrote themselves into a corner and the best they could come up with to get out of it was some cheap Palpatine nostalgia.
    Snoke was such waste of a character. I actually liked the Kylo Ren character for the most part...although they should have explained the name and honestly should have had him be more powerful than have Rey best him in the first movie. They could have done so much with his character rather than the cheap Vader knock off.

I promised myself that I wouldn't jump into this again... so, I'll just say that:

-Rogue One was a watered down, butchered version of LucasArts' Dark Forces / Jedi Knight

(I wrote an entire essay on how Disney raped the whole Dark Forces saga and, in doing so, destroyed some of the most beloved characters in all of SW...)

-The sequel trilogy was a piecemeal, slapped-together, sloppy version of Timothy Zahn's book trilogy... where Disney borrowed bits and pieces of the novels and stitched together three P.O.S. "films" that will never be accepted by long-time fans as what truly happens post-ROTJ...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Rogue One was a watered down, butchered version of LucasArts' Dark Forces / Jedi Knight...
    Rougue One...a pretty boring movie with a cool 2 mintute Darth Vader scene at the very end of the movie.

Wait, the actor is from Beauty and the Beast right?

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Here is a fan-dubbing of the Rogue One trailer with appropriate character names, voices and plot points.

I still can't believe Disney stole the idea then twisted it into a cobbled mess... I was SO angry when this movie came out...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

For me, Star Wars died the day Disney touched it.

To use a metaphor, the Original Trilogy and much of the Expanded material that followed it was crafted by fine chefs who had a vision and wanted to deliver the finest cuisine possible.

When Disney got it, they turned it into a fast-food chain and started pumping out ready-to-eat meals with no love of the lore, the property, nor its fans.

I don't want to start another one of "those" debates, but this is how I feel and I will never look at Star Wars the same way that I did back in 1983.
    Agreed. I knew Star Wars was doomed as soon as I heard that Disney bought it.

- - - Updated - - -

Disney, on the other hand, gives anyone who wants it a night with Star Wars at a cheap motel for two bucks...
    Exactly and I love the way you put this. I don't find myself agreeing with you all that often, but I guess we do on the issue of Star Wars

- - - Updated - - -

There's quite a bit in the prequels that I like. I liked them when they came out. Sure there are problems. Sure I have some anger that Lucas didn't do a better job, didn't have a better team with him and/or listen to them more, should have made Ep 1&2 into one movie, and split Ep 3 into 2 movies.... etc ad nauseum.

But I really like Ep 3, a lot. Ep 3, 4, 5, and the Luke/Vader/Palpatine stuff from 6 is my very favorite Star Wars.

It's fine that others don't like the prequels at all. And I won't argue that they are great films. But there's enough Star Wars in them for me to still enjoy watching them, enjoy the characters, the themes, the worlds, etc.

Disney... it's almost completely trash to me. I liked when Kylo held those blaster bolts in place with the force. And that's more or less where Disney Star Wars ended for me. I think Driver did as good a job as anyone could with that mess they gave him. It's hard to hold a character together like that when the people making the film have no idea what they are doing.They basically ruined Kylo when they had an untrained Rey beat him on day one. Are we supposed to be afraid of him after that? Who's the villain? Hux? Snoke? Palps? Phasma? ugh.

The 2nd film was us watching a slow space ship chase where they are waiting for one ship to run out of gas and Luke meditates himself to death. Luke meditated himself to death. He sat on a rock and meditated so hard that he died. Yay! How fun.
    Last edited by jibernish; March 15, 2022 at 04:32pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    The 2nd film was us watching a slow space ship chase where they are waiting for one ship to run out of gas and Luke meditates himself to death. Luke meditated himself to death. He sat on a rock and meditated so hard that he died. Yay! How fun.
    I don't want to beat an already very dead horse but you are right in that summary of Ep VIII plot.

Regarding Disney... I liked Rogue One a lot, and the quite much Solo and TFA by bringing back that "wow" sense with Han, Leia, Chewie and Threepio. I liked Rebels, Clone Wars last season and Madalorian, so there are good and bad productions. Problem is bad movies or shows do have well known characters being cheapen in a bad unattended executed plot by people who have a particular, quite selfish in some ways, vision or idea of that character.

Ornclown has stated it the best way possible, very Frank Millersque....
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

There are rumblings going on this week about how Kennedy has been involved in creatively shaping the show. That's not promising for my interest in it. She has zero clue about what Star Wars is or should be. I think she, in fact, goes about trying to undermine what Star Wars more than she tries to celebrate it.

Heroic Warrior

Obi-Wan Kenobi - possible spoilers

Not sure if there is a thread already but I couldnít find it, feel free to merge or whatever.

I just watched the first two episodes. And I was pleasantly surprised. I actually really enjoyed it. Iím not a Star Wars hardcore fan, Iíve seen all the movies but non of the other cartoons or tv shows etc.
    I really enjoyed young leiaís performance considering a lot of ten year old actors are either bad actors and/or annoying which she was neither. Although the chase scene in the woods had me laughing, youíll understand if/when you see it.
    Ewan mcgregors performance is as good as it was and we have an seen an interesting cast of characters thus far. Great special effects overall, a nice mix between cgi and practical fx.
    Looking forward to the next 4 episodes

If there's a potential spoilers in your post don't forget to add on the spoiler tag.

[*SPOILER] Spoiler [*/SPOILER]

Just remove the star to spoiler tag it.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

I thought it was silly that we look at Oni Wan and he's supposed to be less than a decade away from being Alec Guinness. But then I looked up McGregor's age and he actually is less than decade away from being as old as Guinness was

So far, I’ve really enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It didn’t blow me away but, I’m really happy with how it’s going.

I love the focus so far on Leia- makes me smile and the little girl playing her really captures the spirit of Carrie Fisher

I loved the first two episodes. I think that's due to McGregor's Obi-Wan. The prequels have their faults, I still love them though, but McGregor's Obi-Wan was by far one of the highlights of those films and it shows here. He's great as Obi-Wan. I could fell his emotions.

The show has got a different feel than Mando/Boba but that's fine. The classic Star Wars movie style credits at the end of the show, unlike the concept art we get with the other series, was awesome. Nice touch.

I kinda wish though they had saved Cad Bane for this series since Obi-Wan has a history with Bane. It would have been cool to see Bane capture Leia and then fight Obi-Wan. Then have him run off once Reva shows up.

Speaking of Reva, I'm not really feeling her character. I just got a bad feeling this show is going to eventually revolve around her and make her a bigger character than just a villain for Obi-Wan.

I have one major complaint with the show, and the Rey movies suffer from the same thing, there was a severe lack of "Lucas aliens." Star Wars has 100's and 100's of already established alien species and we hardly saw any of them. I saw a small few but that was it. Would it hurt them to throw in a Rodian, Wookie, Twi'lek, Weequay,....ANYTHING...to help connect this to the other Star Wars media? The space port had a bunch of aliens and they couldn't "throw us a bone" here? A little fanservice please?!?! This is one of the things that the Mando and Boba series do so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    I loved the first two episodes. I think that's due to McGregor's Obi-Wan. The prequels have their faults, I still love them though, but McGregor's Obi-Wan was by far one of the highlights of those films and it shows here. He's great as Obi-Wan. I could fell his emotions.

The show has got a different feel than Mando/Boba but that's fine. The classic Star Wars movie style credits at the end of the show, unlike the concept art we get with the other series, was awesome. Nice touch.

I have one major complaint with the show, and the Rey movies suffer from the same thing, there was a severe lack of "Lucas aliens." Star Wars has 100's and 100's of already established alien species and we hardly saw any of them. I saw a small few but that was it. Would it hurt them to throw in a Rodian, Wookie, Twi'lek, Weequay,....ANYTHING...to help connect this to the other Star Wars media? The space port had a bunch of aliens and they couldn't "throw us a bone" here? A little fanservice please?!?! This is one of the things that the Mando and Boba series do so well.
    I agree 100% with all of this. Especially the lack of aliens. The diversity of aliens are what make the Star Wars Universe so great. They have 4 more episodes to give me more

Disney is too obsessed with other forms of diversity to worry about adding more aliens.
    Calling all fellow Aussies to post in the Australian Collectors Thread

Iíve finished watching episode 3 and I was sitting on the edge of my chair! Unbelievable is all I can say. Iíll leave the spoilers out but you wonít regret watching it.

I haven't watched any of it yet but keep hearing the actress playing Reva isn't that good and neither is the writing for her character.

For instance, does she really have mind reading powers and doesn't use them?

And yes, I saw the "anti-racist" PR blitz before the show even started. That's not a good look.

Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    I haven't watched any of it yet but keep hearing the actress playing Reva isn't that good and neither is the writing for her character.

For instance, does she really have mind reading powers and doesn't use them?

And yes, I saw the "anti-racist" PR blitz before the show even started. That's not a good look.
    Given how the story frames her as an ass hat who even the other bad guys don't like, I get the feeling that she isn't meant to be likeable.

Given how the story frames her as an ass hat who even the other bad guys don't like, I get the feeling that she isn't meant to be likeable.
    But there is a difference between being a 'good' villain (unlikeable) and being a terrible actress with terrible writing (unenjoyable).

What do you think of her performance so far?

I'm waiting for all the episodes to come out before I start watching.

But there is a difference between being a 'good' villain (unlikeable) and being a terrible actress with terrible writing (unenjoyable).

Honestly I didn't see anything particularly bad in her performance.

You should probably watch it. Sheís a great actress.

What do you think of her performance.
    She's really bad. Whether that's her being miscast or bad writing I don't know.

She's not intimidating and has no prescence.

When she gets angry and starts yelling all I see is a petulant 15 year old.

She reminds me of Kylo Ren actually.

That parkour sequence? What?

She looked ridiculous and you can't blame the actress for that. You have to blame the writers and director for putting her in that situation.

-------

I enjoyed the first episode. The second one had issues and was noticeably a step down.

Third episode was about the same as Episode 2.

The characters are written to make a lot of stupid mistakes.

You've got problems when your plot relies on your characters being dumb.

I don't hate the show so far, but if I had to give it a grade it's a solid "C" right now.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; June 1, 2022 at 04:38pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    S

When she gets angry and starts yelling all I see is a petulant 15 year old.

w.
    Given how a petulant 15 year old is exactly what the other Inquisitor's treat her like. I'm fairly certain that's the intent.

Given how a petulant 15 year old is exactly what the other Inquisitor's treat her like. I'm fairly certain that's the intent.
    I totally agree. I feel like they are intentionally giving us a glimpse at the relationship between the inquisitors.

Also, I thought Moses Ingram was great in the queenís gambit and in Macbeth. I donít understand the hate except that people love to regurgitate what the hear. There is no basis yet, at this point, for all the hatred on a performance in a show that has just started. SW fans suck sometimes.