Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Star Trek

All Things Star Trek

With only a few days to go before Star Trek: Strange New Worlds premiers, I thought it would be cool to post the series opening - which is a big homage to the original series!

Also, here is the trailer from a few weeks back:

And, an early review! (Things sound really good for this series...)

All in all, I think that I will enjoy this series much more than Discovery... I like the old-school aesthetics mixed with the new, and the Enterprise redesign (from Discovery) looks AMAZING!!!

Plus, it sounds like the series will be much closer to Trek's roots.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

I can’t wait for Strange New Worlds! I’ll admit, I have enjoyed Discovery but yeah, it sorta sits outside and feels a little isolated from the rest of the shows. I do love the new ship, though.

On the animated front, I actually really enjoyed Prodigy. I’ve always been a fan of Captain Janeway and I am so glad she got to reprise the role- even if it’s on a kids show.

Quote Originally Posted by Glasstor View Post
    I can’t wait for Strange New Worlds! I’ll admit, I have enjoyed Discovery but yeah, it sorta sits outside and feels a little isolated from the rest of the shows. I do love the new ship, though.

On the animated front, I actually really enjoyed Prodigy. I’ve always been a fan of Captain Janeway and I am so glad she got to reprise the role- even if it’s on a kids show.
    Yep! Janeway is easily my favorite Captain! (And, I'm biased because Voyager is -far and away- my favorite Star Trek series...)

Prodigy is a super fun show too... and a great way to get the lil' ones excited about the Star Trek universe!

(I loved the animated series from the 70s when I was a kid... and, thanks to my dad, I've been a Trekkie ever since.)

Also, Eaglemoss is set to drop some new ships based on Lower Decks!!! Woot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Yep! Janeway is easily my favorite Captain! (And, I'm biased because Voyager is -far and away- my favorite Star Trek series...)

Prodigy is a super fun show too... and a great way to get the lil' ones excited about the Star Trek universe!

(I loved the animated series from the 70s when I was a kid... and, thanks to my dad, I've been a Trekkie ever since.)

Also, Eaglemoss is set to drop some new ships based on Lower Decks!!! Woot!

https://bbts1.azureedge.net/images/p...1558e62251.jpg
    Voyager is my favorite, as well! The only way is Janeway!

I still love and watch the 70’s animated. I’m still wanting and waiting for figures styled in that animated vein.

I’ve been thinking of grabbing some of those Eaglemoss ships. The details are astounding! I have some Star Trek stuff but, not a large collection. I really need to express in my collection how much Star Trek has influenced and has been a part of my life. Lol. Weird deep collector thoughts.

Voyager is my favorite, as well! The only way is Janeway!

I still love and watch the 70’s animated. I’m still wanting and waiting for figures styled in that animated vein.

I’ve been thinking of grabbing some of those Eaglemoss ships. The details are astounding! I have some Star Trek stuff but, not a large collection. I really need to express in my collection how much Star Trek has influenced and has been a part of my life. Lol. Weird deep collector thoughts.
    Without a doubt!

I would love figures of the 70s Star Trek crew - in that classic Filmation style! (Bless Lou Scheimer for giving us He-Man, Flash Gordon, AND Star Trek when we were kids!)

I have a decent Eaglemoss collection... just about every major ship from the mainline series and Deep Space Nine, plus the Delta Flyer!

Funny enough, the Playmates 74656 Voyager ship is one of my favorite 'toys' hands down... it's a really good representation that's huge and (at the time) was unbelievably cheap.

Speaking of Lower Decks, here is a quick Season 3 teaser:

And the poster!

Heroic Warrior
    Strange New Worlds has been the one I've been waiting on! Lots of us were VERY vocal online about Anson Mount's portrayal of Pike…for me he was the highlight of the second season of Discovery. All-in-all I like the Enterprise reimagining. I still think the original design was the best and could have just had added detail to it but hey…oh well. What still gets me is the giant empty spaces in these ships now…engineering looks like the inside of a Tardis. Having said that, I'm REALLY looking forward to episodic Trek to make a return!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Strange New Worlds has been the one I've been waiting on! Lots of us were VERY vocal online about Anson Mount's portrayal of Pike…for me he was the highlight of the second season of Discovery. All-in-all I like the Enterprise reimagining. I still think the original design was the best and could have just had added detail to it but hey…oh well. What still gets me is the giant empty spaces in these ships now…engineering looks like the inside of a Tardis. Having said that, I'm REALLY looking forward to episodic Trek to make a return!
    Anson is so good in the role!

I was just watching the episode of Enterprise where they found the craft with the human pilot that had the huge [theoretical] space below it. I know theoretical spacial dynamics was not necessarily what you were referring to but, it just made me think of that. I love that stuff.

I was never into Star Trek and preferred Star Wars. Star Trek in comparison just felt there was too much talking and not enough fighting.

But my wife convinced me that Star Trek is interesting on its own terms without having to be compared with anything else. And I have to agree she's absolutely right.

We are not diehard Star Trek fans, but Voyager is our favourite series thus far.

I grew up with Star Trek (they showed reruns of it locally at 12:00 pm on Saturday mornings, so Saturday Morning cartoons rolled into eating lunch and watching Star Trek for me growing up).

I've been re-watching TNG for the first time since I saw it in first run Syndication. As I'm almost finished with it, I will probably roll into Enterprise next (I don't have DS9 or Voyager, as I'm hoping for Bluray restorations of both).

I've also finally been catching up with Discovery (I like it, even if I think some of the stuff they try doesn't work) and over the weekend watched all the Short Treks minus the last one, Children of Mars. Picard season 1 is next up, then Discovery season 3 when I finish that. I thought Lower Decks was fun, but sometimes the characters felt a little TOO cavalier about things. But its all in good fun and overall it was likeable.

I'm looking for to Strange New Worlds when I'm able to see it. Mount's Pike was fun in Discovery S2, and I'm interested in seeing how it pans out (while a little concerned that they may have leaned too heavily into TOS fan service with all the later crew showing up as ensigns).

Looking forward to the bluray restoration STTMPirector's cut which is supposed to come out later this year (it premires in 4K on Paramount+)

Quote Originally Posted by Amentep View Post

I've also finally been catching up with Discovery (I like it, even if I think some of the stuff they try doesn't work) and over the weekend watched all the Short Treks minus the last one, Children of Mars. Picard season 1 is next up, then Discovery season 3 when I finish that. I thought Lower Decks was fun, but sometimes the characters felt a little TOO cavalier about things. But its all in good fun and overall it was likeable.
    I have enjoyed Picard. It’s got the fan service and some drama but, like Kate Mulgrew, it’s just so great to see Patrick Stewart in the role again I just look past the drama and enjoy.

And it’s great to have the Borg Queen back

Master of New Adventures!
    I was watching a retrospective on Lucille Ball last night. I knew she and Desi produced the Untouchables, the Andy Griffin Show and The **** van **** Show, but I had no idea they produced Star Trek. That's a long way from Vitameatavegamin...

EDIT: Sigh, we've come to the point that we can't even reference an old television series without repercussions...

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I was watching a retrospective on Lucille Ball last night. I knew she and Desi produced the Untouchables, the Andy Griffin Show and The **** van **** Show, but I had no idea they produced Star Trek. That's a long way from Vitameatavegamin...

EDIT: Sigh, we've come to the point that we can't even reference an old television series without repercussions...
    One of the reasons I have always appreciated Desilu Productions is that they had they’re hand in so many great shows Like Mission Impossible, Mannix, Untouchables(as you mentioned) and of course, Star Trek- not to mention everything that was filmed at the studios. They were definitely taking a chance with Star Trek that paid off big. I wonder if either of them(Lucy or Desi) liked Star Trek? Hmmm.

Reportedly Lucy saved MI and ST when they were in development and their high costs were a concern to the other executives at Desilu (Star Trek in particular has a really tortured life to broadcast and was definitely voted to be dropped, but Lucy over-rode the vote).
    Last edited by Amentep; May 2, 2022 at 04:23pm.

I had a period during high school where I watched an episode of TNG every weeknight before bed. Still my favorite to this day with Data being my all time favorite character.

That would lead me back to watching the original series and even DS9 but, even though I enjoyed them, I favored TNG much more.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Reportedly Lucy saved MI and ST when they were in development and their high costs were a concern to the other executives at Desilu.
    That’s very interesting. Now I need to know more. Time to watch some documentaries.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I had a period during high school where I watched an episode of TNG every weeknight before bed. Still my favorite to this day with Data being my all time favorite character.

That would lead me back to watching the original series and even DS9 but, even though I enjoyed them, I favored TNG much more.
    Brent Spiner is great in Picard. Admittedly, I watch a little Star Trek everyday since all of the tv shows are on one of those digital sub-channels in the evening.

Brent Spiner is great in Picard. Admittedly, I watch a little Star Trek everyday since all of the tv shows are on one of those digital sub-channels in the evening.
    Huh! I don't watch TV very much and had no idea he was in it. I'll have to check it out!
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

That’s very interesting. Now I need to know more. Time to watch some documentaries.
    Star Trek has a famously tortured production; my memory is it goes something like this:

Desilu in 1964 was in a financial bind, and was only producing one show.

Oscar Katz and Herb Solow went on a searching spree to find new creators and new ideas to pitch to the network. This landed them Roddenberry (ST) and Bruce Geller (MI and later, Mannix) (and also Sam "Have Gun, Will Travel" Rolfe, who'd later create "Man from U.N.C.L.E. for MGM TV). They ended up with 20+ programs under consideration for the 1966 series. The pick-ups of Star Trek, Mission: Impossible and Rolfe's The Long Hunt for April Savage put them in a bind, from a cash-flow perspective and the board voted to drop Star Trek and Lucy overrode their decision and kept Star Trek going.

April Savage inadvertently ended up being the one to get the axe; picked up by ABC who aired the pilot, Sam Rolfe had a falling out with his agency and refused to continue with the show on the grounds it'd continue to make his agency money. Gene Roddenberry was producer on the pilot movie, and it starred Robert Lansing who would star for Roddenberry in the "Assignment: Earth" backdoor pilot for a Gary Seven series that aired through Star Trek.

Huh! I don't watch TV very much and had no idea he was in it. I'll have to check it out!
    Do it! It’s a good ride

- - - Updated - - -

Star Trek has a famously tortured production; my memory is it goes something like this:

Desilu in 1964 was in a financial bind, and was only producing one show.

Oscar Katz and Herb Solow went on a searching spree to find new creators and new ideas to pitch to the network. This landed them Roddenberry (ST) and Bruce Geller (MI and later, Mannix) (and also Sam "Have Gun, Will Travel" Rolfe, who'd later create "Man from U.N.C.L.E. for MGM TV). They ended up with 20+ programs under consideration for the 1966 series. The pick-ups of Star Trek, Mission: Impossible and Rolfe's The Long Hunt for April Savage put them in a bind, from a cash-flow perspective and the board voted to drop Star Trek and Lucy overrode their decision and kept Star Trek going.

April Savage inadvertently ended up being the one to get the axe; picked up by ABC who aired the pilot, Sam Rolfe had a falling out with his agency and refused to continue with the show on the grounds it'd continue to make his agency money. Gene Roddenberry was producer on the pilot movie, and it starred Robert Lansing who would star for Roddenberry in the "Assignment: Earth" backdoor pilot for a Gary Seven series that aired through Star Trek.
    Wow! Thanks for the info! I had no idea there was a Gary Seven Show in consideration! I’ve always used that name when I don’t want people to know my last name and, I really like that episode. I’ve never seen any April Savage. I’m curious enough to look around for that and that Assignment: Earth pilot.

EDIt: just realized I’ve seen the Assignment:Earth.
    Last edited by Glasstor; May 2, 2022 at 04:45pm. Reason: Realization

Not sure if the April Savage pilot has ever been released on anything (its a western series about a man seeking revenge on the 8 men who killed his wife and children; Roddenberry wrote for a number of westerns before - including Have Gun, Will Travel so was probably a decent pick to produce a western). My memory is that Roddenberry pitched the Gary Seven series and was rejected, eventually canabalizing it to become a backdoor pilot in Star Trek in '68.

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    The task Lucy had given Katz and Solow was to find the "next I Love Lucy," by which she meant a show that would be so popular that it would live on in reruns, which didn't exist in any meaningful way until I Love Lucy. Pretty much hit that nail on the head with Star Trek.

Not sure if the April Savage pilot has ever been released on anything (its a western series about a man seeking revenge on the 8 men who killed his wife and children; Roddenberry wrote for a number of westerns before - including Have Gun, Will Travel so was probably a decent pick to produce a western). My memory is that Roddenberry pitched the Gary Seven series and was rejected, eventually canabalizing it to become a backdoor pilot in Star Trek in '68.
    Wow. That’s fascinating to me. There must be a few books I can grab. I need to educate myself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    The task Lucy had given Katz and Solow was to find the "next I Love Lucy," by which she meant a show that would be so popular that it would live on in reruns, which didn't exist in any meaningful way until I Love Lucy. Pretty much hit that nail on the head with Star Trek.
    They sure picked the right shows to fight for!

- - - Updated - - -

I’m almost embarrassed that I didn’t know some of this being such a big fan.

Heroic Warrior
    Looking forward to the bluray restoration STTMPirector's cut which is supposed to come out later this year (it premires in 4K on Paramount+)
    Yep it's already on Paramount+ and the restoration is nothing short of FANTASTIC!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Yep it's already on Paramount+ and the restoration is nothing short of FANTASTIC!
    Good to hear!

I still remember seeing TMP on the original ABC broadcast, so it's always been a fave and I like having the option to watch the theatrical release (released already) and the director's cut version.
    Last edited by Amentep; May 2, 2022 at 08:21pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    I was never into Star Trek and preferred Star Wars. Star Trek in comparison just felt there was too much talking and not enough fighting.

But my wife convinced me that Star Trek is interesting on its own terms without having to be compared with anything else. And I have to agree she's absolutely right.

We are not diehard Star Trek fans, but Voyager is our favourite series thus far.
    This is true, and exactly why each has such a loyal following.

Star Trek is what George R.R. Martin's books are to J.R.R. Tolkein's Star Wars... Trek has an almost documentary-like feel of post Earth human existence, whereas Wars is much more fantastical and requires more disbelief.

I admit, I enjoy almost everything Star Trek... but, Star Wars has really fallen out of favor with me. When a new SW show is announced, I roll my eyes, yet when a new ST show is announced, my interest is immediately piqued.

This is also why some fans were understandably upset at some of the "space battles" in Discovery... they were too Star Wars-esque.

Anyhow, your wife is a very, very wise woman!

I have enjoyed Picard. It’s got the fan service and some drama but, like Kate Mulgrew, it’s just so great to see Patrick Stewart in the role again I just look past the drama and enjoy.
    I think Picard gets way more flak than it deserves... it was never going to be classic Trek, and the story is a bit wonky, but at the end of the day, it is still incredibly fun and hits all the right nostalgia buttons.

You are not alone.

TNG consistently rates high in the fan favorite polls.

Star Trek has a famously tortured production; my memory is it goes something like this....
    Yes, to all of this.

And, a cool tidbit about Star Trek The Animated Series is that Paramount originally wanted to renew TOS for another season (after realizing how popular it had become through tons of fan mail), but the sets, costumes and all the props were destroyed or recycled already... so, they opted to create an animated show with the voices of the live-action series - with Gene Roddenberry's blessing.

This kept Star Trek relevant all the way into the 80s and eventually helped pave the way for TNG.

Yup! Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    This is also why some fans were understandably upset at some of the "space battles" in Discovery... they were too Star Wars-esque.
    From my limited experience with the new shows. I think they get a lot of undeserved flak (and some fsur criticism). I've liked them overall, with some mild criticism.

But I really disliked the "Star Wars"-esque battle at the end of Discovery season 2 for this very reason. For the Trek ships to be treated like the Capital ships in a Star Wars battle really didn't read right to me. I do thinks it's a bit of a symptom for modern Trek (that a lot of the people behind new Trek are big Star Wars fans, and I think some of the stuff that works the least in the new shows are the most like Star Wars).