Thread: Favourite adult animated sitcoms and shows?

Favourite adult animated sitcoms and shows?

OK so I thought this would be pretty cool to see what you guys like in regards to the adult animated sitcoms which are out there. As we know there are so many now to choose from and some are incredible the way they are presented, specially when it comes to originality so I thought it would be cool to see what you guys think in regards to this and what your favourite adult animated sitcoms are?

For me my favourite has to be Beavis and Butt-Head, not only did the show inspire and open the doors for many but it was incredibly creative, unique and something that hadn't been done before, although I preferred the guys in their actual adventures as opposed to watching music video's on MTV this was one of the most incredibly unique things to see and they were also very very good the way they did it (not to mention incredibly funny ha) and it really made the show stand out. I know the guys who did South Park were incredibly inspired by the show (as were many) so I do feel that Beavis and Butt-Head is not only an iconic show in that regard but it is kinda underrated at times as Mike Judge has been very consistent with it during the times the show has been running (the original run in 1993 and again in 2011).

For those who don't know Beavis and Butt-Head originally started as a small segment on a show called Liquid TV in the US, which from what I can gather was a show on MTV at the time (I'm in the UK so not overly familiar with this) with two short segments "Frog Baseball" and "Peace, Love and Understanding" which lead to it getting a permanent slot as a full on show of which Mike Judge is very critical of the early animation in those shows where he said were "awful, I don't know why anybody liked it ... I was burying my head in the sand", in particular the first two episodes "Give Blood/Blood Drive" and "Door to Door" however the raw animation on those do add that authentic feel to them though of course it wasn't long until the animation improved and the show became what we know and love today, but this show is absolutely fantastic.

The guys had a hit single with Cher on their own version of "I Got You Babe", an incredibly successful movie "Beavis and Butt-Head Do America" and were pretty much everywhere at one point being MTV's highest rated show on it's original run, it's incredible.

The show is back this year too on Paramount + with a brand new movie "Beavis and Butt-Head Do The Universe" and two new seasons, which should be good.

Another that I absolutely adore which isn't initially a TV show but a series of comics and animated movies is Asterix. The franchise originates from France and is based around a Gaulish village holding off against the Romans and is so, so clever how they incorporated lots of true history in the show too and reference that in more ways than you realise, they've really done their homework on this when putting the show together. They originally started off as comic books which were absolutely huge in France and Europe and they even have Parc Asterix in France too which is really good.

However they also are coming back for a new series in 2023 on Netflix.

I actually did a thread on the Asterix franchise HERE if you would like to take a look and get involved, you can watch some of the movie's too which are absolutely fantastic!!

Another show I love is also by Mike Judge (creator of Beavis and Butt-Head) called King of the Hill, I'm sure many of you know this show with Hank and his propane, wife Peggy, son Bobby and Luanne (who was voiced by the late Brittany Murphy) and of course the neighbours Boomhaur (who's voice is so unique the way he mumbles and no one can understand him, but can kinda thing haha) and then there's Dale who's wife has been having an affair for however long and even has a son that looks exactly like the guy she's been having an affair with, who's always around and Dale just doesn't have a clue haha, again, such a truly creative show which also has a huge following and demand for this to return but I guess we'll see in regards to that at some point.

I also want to throw in The Simpsons here too, I know this show is technically seen as a family show but it's also very adult aimed in a lot of ways. I don't need to say much about The Simpsons as everyone knows this show pretty much but the characters, the town, everything about the show is fantastic. Scene's such as "Steamed Hams" have become iconic and they were also very clever when they did the "Who Shot Mr. Burns" episodes as well as of course the Halloween specials and Christmas episodes which are really good! The fact the show has such longevity too with no breaks in between is nothing but a credit to them really, sure people can criticise the later seasons which happens in any long running show but I still feel the show is quality and definitely deserves a mention.

Another that I probably should mention is South Park, although I haven't watched that consistently and only in brief episodes etc.. they have also been consistent with what they have done and been going a long time too, so I do feel they deserve a mention too. They took inspiration from Beavis and Butt-Head and created their own show entirely with the animation looking like cardboard cutouts and the way they presented it etc.. it's definitely worth a mention also.

Again, there's so many adult shows out there over the years though I thought it would be cool to see which one's you guys like also and would love to hear.

Hope everyone is good and well out there also and I look forward to hearing from some of you :)

Heroic Warrior
    South Park, The Critic, and The Simpsons comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    South Park, The Critic, and The Simpsons comes to mind.
    Yeah The Critic, this was also done by Al Jean (showrunner from The Simpsons) which is why we got The Critic featured in one of the episodes :)

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    The Boondocks
    Space Ghost: Coast to Coast
    Rocky & His Friends / The Bullwinkle Show
    Sealab 2021 (episodes Prior to Harry Goz's (Captain Murphy) death)

Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    The Boondocks
    Space Ghost: Coast to Coast
    Rocky & His Friends / The Bullwinkle Show
    Sealab 2021 (episodes Prior to Harry Goz's (Captain Murphy) death)
    I've never actually seen The Booondocks but I've heard about that quite a bit :)

Yeah, Rocky and Bullwinkle, that's an old school show like the Flintstones ain't it I think?

The Flintstones are pretty good too, they also were technically an adult aimed show which crossed over :)

Hereís a few because otherwise it will just be one long list!
    Beavis & Butthead
    King Of The Hill
    Daria
    The Ripping Friends
    The Tick
    They showed Liquid Television on BBC2 on, I think, Monday nights back in the day, itís where I first saw Aeon Flux and The Head, two more of my favourites but it was chock full of amazing animation

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    Hereís a few because otherwise it will just be one long list!
    Beavis & Butthead
    King Of The Hill
    Daria
    The Ripping Friends
    The Tick
    They showed Liquid Television on BBC2 on, I think, Monday nights back in the day, itís where I first saw Aeon Flux and The Head, two more of my favourites but it was chock full of amazing animation
    Oh I didn't know that about Liquid TV in the UK, was it any good? :)

Yeah, I've seen The Head on MTV also, only vaguely but it does look good that to be fair haha

Aeon Flux I've heard about but never seen :)

Quote Originally Posted by The 90'z Rules View Post
    Oh I didn't know that about Liquid TV in the UK, was it any good?

Yeah, I've seen The Head on MTV also, only vaguely but it does look good that to be fair haha

Aeon Flux I've heard about but never seen
    You can check Liquid TV out here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLcI...P23-pWFgFKILig

Itís got a lot of episodic stuff in it, thereís no Aeon Flux on there though but they all got a dvd release some time ago but I recommend checking these out if you can, there was also The Maxx as well but I never really got into that as much.

Here's a fascinating animated series based on Greek Mythology called Blood Of Zeus.

https://www.netflix.com/watch/810567...ckId=254761469
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Here's a fascinating animated series based on Greek Mythology called Blood Of Zeus.

That was made by 2 brothers from my hometown. Think another brother is the principle at the middle or high school. One of em are my sisters age.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

You can check Liquid TV out here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLcI...P23-pWFgFKILig

Itís got a lot of episodic stuff in it, thereís no Aeon Flux on there though but they all got a dvd release some time ago but I recommend checking these out if you can, there was also The Maxx as well but I never really got into that as much.
    Aw thanks, I'm just watching it now, it looks so random, like those late night TV shows you'd get when coming in early hours after a night out and all this random stuff would be on TV :D

The Maxx also rings a bell as it goes too, I'm not sure what it is but I definitely recognise the name lol

Have you seen the Beavis and Butt-Head episodes that were on there? (Frog Baseball and Love, Peace and Understanding) lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Here's a fascinating animated series based on Greek Mythology called Blood Of Zeus. :shgrin:

I'll look at that up, I just saw it now on the link but not logged in to Netflix here (It's on my TV) so will see if it's on the UK one, is it an adult sitcom though, it looks like an anime or something but looks cool either way :)

Heroic Warrior
    Daria, Duckman, and Venture Bros.

Aw thanks, I'm just watching it now, it looks so random, like those late night TV shows you'd get when coming in early hours after a night out and all this random stuff would be on TV

The Maxx also rings a bell as it goes too, I'm not sure what it is but I definitely recognise the name lol

Have you seen the Beavis and Butt-Head episodes that were on there? (Frog Baseball and Love, Peace and Understanding) lol
    Thereís a big mix of stuff on Liquid TV but getting that in the UK on terrestrial TV at the time, there wasnít much else like it, I have to say Aeon Flux was the standout of the show though.

The Maxx is based off a comic book but Iíve not read any of those.

I like pretty much all B & B, even the crudeish animation of the early episodes, lol.

Drawn Together. It was really ahead of it's time. I love revisiting this show every few years. It's a shame it didn't last longer.

Daria, Duckman, and Venture Bros.
    Duckman, I remember that being about but never actually watched it, I need to do this at some point lol

Same with Daria too, I love Beavis and Butt-Head and even though Mike Judge wasn't involved in the Daria show, a lot of people have said this is really good so I need to see this too lol

I'm going to be getting Paramount+ next month when it's launched and I think Daria is on there so will watch the series then :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thereís a big mix of stuff on Liquid TV but getting that in the UK on terrestrial TV at the time, there wasnít much else like it, I have to say Aeon Flux was the standout of the show though.

The Maxx is based off a comic book but Iíve not read any of those.

I like pretty much all B & B, even the crudeish animation of the early episodes, lol.
    Yeah, Aeon Flux is another I want to see, so many good shows from that era too, MTV was awesome with them, specially during the MTV Europe days, even the bumpers they would have were pretty cool lol

And yeah, I love the crude era too haha, it's like The Simpsons first season, I adore this but a lot of people aren't as keen cause of how rough it was then however I feel that this add's to the authenticity of it, same with the mistakes too, I like that because it just makes it feel really authentic as opposed to when it's really polished lol

Don't get me wrong, it's obviously better when they are polished and tightened up but there is still something really special I feel about these shows when they are more rough so to speak lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Drawn Together. It was really ahead of it's time. I love revisiting this show every few years. It's a shame it didn't last longer.
    I've not heard of this, what was this on? :)

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    I've not heard of this, what was this on?
    Comedy Central, 2004-2007

Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    Comedy Central, 2004-2007
    US? UK? I'll have to look this up, you know since you mentioned it I was wondering after if it was something I saw on Netflix like that but I honestly can't remember, I'm gonna look it up anyway :)

Edit, yeah I think I've seen it actually, you know like where you notice the artwork or something but never actually seen the show, soon as I replied before I was like "I'm sure I've seen it actually" and it does look kind familiar from the art.

Might have to give it a watch at some point :)

Last edited by The 90'z Rules; May 12, 2022 at 12:41pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Yeah, I remember Drawn Together, can't believe it ended that long ago.

Yeah, I remember Drawn Together, can't believe it ended that long ago.
    Yeah, I looked it up, 2007 I think it said it finished but yeah it looks pretty good!! :)

It seems like one of those shows that was clearly good but got quite overlooked :)

Spawn TAS
    The Maxx
    Aeon Flux
    Invincible
    Cowboy Bebop
    Beavis and Butthead
    Undone
    Primal
    Classic Simpsons (Seasons 1 to 11 only)
    Futurama
    Liquid TV
    Love Death and Robots
    The Critic.
    South Park
    Metapolcaylpse.
    Archer
    Frisky Dingo.
    Space Ghost Coast to Coast
    Daria
    Venture Brothers
    Trigun
    Duckman
    Bojack Horseman
    Rick and Morty
    Disenchanted
    Black Lagoon.
    Harvey Birdman
    Black Lotus
    Final Space
    Castlevania
    Harley Quinn
    Spicy City
    Dr Katz
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    Celebrity Deathmatch
    King of the Hill
    American Dad (old seasons).
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryCanyon View Post
    Spawn TAS
    The Maxx
    Aeon Flux
    Invincible
    Cowboy Bebop
    Beavis and Butthead
    Undone
    Primal
    Classic Simpsons (Seasons 1 to 11 only)
    Futurama
    Liquid TV
    Love Death and Robots
    The Critic.
    South Park
    Metapolcaylpse.
    Archer
    Frisky Dingo.
    Space Ghost Coast to Coast
    Daria
    Venture Brothers
    Trigun
    Duckman
    Bojack Horseman
    Rick and Morty
    Disenchanted
    Black Lagoon.
    Harvey Birdman
    Black Lotus
    Final Space
    Castlevania
    Harley Quinn
    Spicy City
    Dr Katz
    Aqua Teen Hunger Force
    Celebrity Deathmatch
    King of the Hill
    American Dad (old seasons).
    That's an awesome list! I remember Dr Katz and Celebrity Deathmatch too, Duckman I remember being around but never really saw it, just like in bits if you get what I mean so always wanted to watch that.

The Simpsons were so good in the classic seasons. To be fair they're still pretty good, it's just they set the bar so high in the original seasons it's kinda hard to keep up to lol