Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prey aka Predator 5

Quote Originally Posted by felgekarp View Post
    There is a native dialect version coming out so that solves that problem, whether the french will have subtitles in that version I don’t know though, also the end credits explained how the predators got that gun back.
    Are you referring to the Indigenous drawings that retell the tale of Naru? Because that only suggests that more Predator ships arrive on earth... make what you will of that, but if this is the case, then can we assume Naru dies at the hands of the next hunter?

When I first saw that, I just assumed that it meant more Predators would be coming to earth from now on... because the Comanche Nation proved a formidable and worthy prey, and showed that Earth is a prime hunting ground.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

I took it to mean the predators came back and wiped them out, which is how they ended up with that pistol.

I took it to mean the predators came back and wiped them out, which is how they ended up with that pistol.
    Yeah... the meaning is pretty vague, and you can infer lots of different events. But, based on what we know of the Predator's code of honor, it's highly unlikely that they would come back and wipe out the whole tribe.

This has happened in the past (in Predator: Bad Blood and even the original AVP when Broken Tusk's tribe goes rogue and slaughters innocent colonists), but generally, there are dire consequences for doing so.

I think, if anything, the Predators did indeed return to North America, but not immediately after the encounter with the Comanche... I think that the drawings represent future visits / hunts.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Yeah... the meaning is pretty vague, and you can infer lots of different events. But, based on what we know of the Predator's code of honor, it's highly unlikely that they would come back and wipe out the whole tribe.

This has happened in the past (in Predator: Bad Blood and even the original AVP when Broken Tusk's tribe goes rogue and slaughters innocent colonists), but generally, there are dire consequences for doing so.

I think, if anything, the Predators did indeed return to North America, but not immediately after the encounter with the Comanche... I think that the drawings represent future visits / hunts.
    I agree with this.

It seems unlikely that a bunch of Predators would show up and indiscriminately wipe out the Comanche tribe against their code of honor, then (presumably) those same Predators would later spare and reward Mike Harrigan because of an adherence to said code of honor.

I suppose a later Predator could come and have some sort of meaningful encounter with a future owner of the pistol. That seems like either a huge coincidence or a deliberate outcome that makes the Predators seem like petty losers, which seems pretty dishonorable to me. I guess you could say that one group of bad blood Predators came and wiped out the tribe and another group of enforcers came and killed them, thus ending up with the gun. Of course, the Predator 2 gang weren't enforcers, so this seems dubious. Regardless, either of these scenarios seem like they would require a much more nuanced explanation than what we got.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I agree with this.

It seems unlikely that a bunch of Predators would show up and indiscriminately wipe out the Comanche tribe against their code of honor, then (presumably) those same Predators would later spare and reward Mike Harrigan because of an adherence to said code of honor.

I suppose a later Predator could come and have some sort of meaningful encounter with a future owner of the pistol. That seems like either a huge coincidence or a deliberate outcome that makes the Predators seem like petty losers, which seems pretty dishonorable to me. I guess you could say that one group of bad blood Predators came and wiped out the tribe and another group of enforcers came and killed them, thus ending up with the gun. Of course, the Predator 2 gang weren't enforcers, so this seems dubious. Regardless, either of these scenarios seem like they would require a much more nuanced explanation than what we got.
    Great point about Mike Harrigan and the Pred2 Hunters!

Yeah, I think they really backed themselves into a corner with the whole flintlock homage... I'm sure it was with the best intentions, but they really needed to think it through - especially for the insane fanbase that the Predator franchise has amassed.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I think not subtitling the French is a deliberate choice. The audience is supposed to identify with the Comanches, so not subtitling the French makes their language as impenetrable to us as it is to them.
    I haven't watched it yet, but Prey is being applauded for it's Comanche language version.

I'm glad that it became a priority for the studio... it was one of my peeves watching the Comanche Nation speaking English in the year 1719.

Here is a good article about the authenticity of the setting / culture:

https://screenrant.com/prey-movie-co...ture-accuracy/

And this is a good video about how Indigenous critics are reacting to the movie:

If anything, watching it again will give me an opportunity to reevaluate my initial thoughts...

I mean it showed the very tribe we’d been seeing surprised by the predator ship, I don’t know what else you want to take from that other than the people who made the film not having an understanding of predator lore.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I haven't watched it yet, but Prey is being applauded for it's Comanche language version.
    Yeah, but it is dubbed. I would have prefered it be spoken in Comanche, and subtitled in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Yeah, but it is dubbed. I would have prefered it be spoken in Comanche, and subtitled in English.
    Yeah...that is weak-sauce.

I completely concur, the original version should have been spoken in the native languages and then dubbed / subbed in English.

Sadly, a Den of Geek article stated this: "[Prey] is a mixture of scenes filmed with the actors speaking Comanche and most others being dubbed."

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/the...s-in-comanche/

Still a cool achievement, but falls short of the acclaim that it is receiving...

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I'm surprised about all the talk of the gun and how it ends up in the future in part 2 with another predator. Honestly, I think the lore of the franchise is pretty loose with specific details while just broad ideas are created for other writers to follow. So, you can kinda come to your own satisfaction with whatever you want, imo

I took the ending as the Preds came back to the tribe to collect the dead Predator's head (In part 2 they collected the body of the dead Predator). And since Danny dropped the blade he used to kill the Pred, I'm happy in thinking there must be some sort of custom where they keep the tools that killed one of their own as kinds of trophies. So, maybe in an exchange they took the flintlock and gave the Comanche back something else? But then again, in part 2 the Predator was gonna walk away until it did a double take to give Danny that gun as a last second thought. So maybe they don't trade trophies? I'm fine with the predators not giving away anything, cuz it doesn't really matter to this movie. But I'm definitely sure they collected the gun and the head from the tribe at the very least. And whether or not they killed the Comanche tribe off, who knows? I doubt it. All the warriors of the tribe were dead, and only the girl was left. And unless she grabbed something to try and fight off three ships worth of predators coming down, they probably didn't see a threat and just walked by all the tribe people who more than likely ran off and hid in their tents/teepees because they weren't fighters.

They take the head. They take the gun. They kill the girl? They kill the tribe? They leave peacefully? They leave a prize behind for killing one of their own? It's not too important, and it's certainly not lore-breaking not knowing =)

A native language version with subtitles would have been cool.

I mean it showed the very tribe we’d been seeing surprised by the predator ship, I don’t know what else you want to take from that other than the people who made the film not having an understanding of predator lore.
    I think this is the most reasonable explanation.

It feels like they cherry-picked something cool from a previous film (to make Prey connect to the greater whole) but failed to do their research.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    I'm surprised about all the talk of the gun and how it ends up in the future in part 2 with another predator. Honestly, I think the lore of the franchise is pretty loose with specific details while just broad ideas are created for other writers to follow. So, you can kinda come to your own satisfaction with whatever you want, imo
    This is a big problem for me.

Predator 2 adhered to the lore that was created in John McTiernan's original movie. Things like the heat wave occurring in Los Angeles and the gang wars going on (because Yautja are drawn to conflict and only hunt in the hottest seasons - most likely due to their physiology)... at the same time, Pred2 expanded on the lore in sensible ways, like the aforementioned code of honor (taken from the Dark Horse EU at the time), trophies, and hunting parties.

Every movie after just got sloppier and sloppier... the writers were out to "do what's cool" rather than what makes sense in the Predator-verse. I could write an essay on the issues plaguing AVP, AVP:R, Predators, and The Predator but needless to say, these writers have all diverged from the lore / canon that was laid out in the original films (and short stories)... sometimes with wanton disregard.

Quote Originally Posted by The.Idea.of.Evil View Post
    They take the head. They take the gun. They kill the girl? They kill the tribe? They leave peacefully? They leave a prize behind for killing one of their own? It's not too important, and it's certainly not lore-breaking not knowing =)
    I like the idea of leaving it up to the viewer to ascertain what happens next, but there is a problem in this particular instance.

The Predator 2 roles are reversed... why would Naru give the Hunting Party the flintlock? Why would they even ask for it? She killed the Predator AND she gives them a random weapon that really holds no meaning to either?

If there was an exchange (for whatever reason), I'd like to think that Naru would give the Head Predator her hatchet (that was gifted from her father) or her brother's bow... not some gun that belonged to a subjugating white man.