Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prey aka Predator 5

Heroic Warrior

Prey aka Predator 5

The new trailer for Prey aka Predator 5 has dropped.
    It’s set 300 years ago when the first predator comes to earth.
    It will be interesting to see the hero take on the advanced predator with more primitive weapons etc
    Hoping after the past couple of ok-ish movies that this one is an improvement.
    Although disappointing that it’s debuting on streaming rather than getting a theatrical release.
    Hopefully it will get a dvd or blu ray release so I can edit it to the collection.

This movie looks like it could be very good.

As a fan of the franchise, I'm always hoping for the best. The premise has a lot of promise and potential!
    Tweeterhead 1/5 Legends Statue Want List: Zodak (200X style), King Grayskull (Revelation style), He-Man 2.0 (or 200X King Grayskull), Tung Lashor, Rattlor, She-Ra 2.0

Heroic Warrior
    So itís not too bad. I really liked the redesigned more primitive predator, other than its new face design.
    It had some cool weapons too. It was a little slow in places and some of the cgi was a little sub par especially with the animals. Annoyingly none of the French is subtitled and she also spoke and understood English which I doubt she wouldíve.

The plot revolves around a Native American girl who wants to be a hunter, sheís a pretty good leading lady, however every other character in the film serves only as cannon fodder for the predator. The primitive predator is cool and itís weapons are a lot more primitive too. Although they have interstellar ships, heat vision, explosives but for some reason no guns or lasers. I guess they did this to even the playing field with a group of people using spears and arrows. The predator took a real licking through the film and surprisingly lasted as long as it did.

Overall itís a fun 100minutes of movie but doesnít match up to the original but was better than the last entry. Worth a watch if you fancy something to tune out to one evening.

Yip. It's not bad, but nothing spectacular either. But it's a good one time watch.

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    By streaming movie standards, itís fantastic.

Worth a watch 100%!

I actually liked this one better than all the previous ones combined. It gives me hope for Hulu's Alien series next year (not that I'm expecting that to top the Alien feature films, I'm just expecting it to be... different, but quite good).
    Looking for any loose Classics figures? Let me know via PM what you might be looking for and I'll look through some boxes and see if we can help each other out!

Best one since the original!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

I really enjoyed this! The fights were brutal! I loved the time specific details and uses!

If I had one nitpick, I didn't care for this Yautja's thin hair. I know each one has differences, but I think this is the first time I've seen such a hair variation.
    Tweeterhead 1/5 Legends Statue Want List: Zodak (200X style), King Grayskull (Revelation style), He-Man 2.0 (or 200X King Grayskull), Tung Lashor, Rattlor, She-Ra 2.0

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    Just watched this last night. It's very good. And barring some eyebrow raising moments of, "why did that happen," it's very, very good. The end conclusion to the last fight is a bit of a miss, unfortunately. But the choreography for it and every other fight is surprisingly solid. It's definitely leaps and bounds better than The Predator (the last movie that was God awful). But depending on your own tastes, it stands very solidly with parts 2 and 3 (Predators). Nothing will ever touch the first movie. But this can definitely hang with the franchise.

I watched it in the original English recording, and I'm actually kinda pumped to watch it again in the dubbed Comanche language.

I enjoyed this one very much. It wasn't perfect but I liked it much more than Predators and The Predator.

I'd place it right after the first 2 Predator movies as my favorites in the franchise.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

This worked, not a masterpiece but good enough.
    Sign me plz! (petition for Dreamworks She-Ra toys)
    https://chng.it/fHKxh4N7Ck

SPOP 2018 & MOTU:Re 2021 timeline comparison:
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...e-info-(enjoy)

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    By streaming movie standards, it’s fantastic.

Worth a watch 100%!
    This. Really great fun movie and recaptured the original spirit of the unknown hunting that was missing in most of the sequels, specially last one which was a disaster
    Last edited by Rhanen; August 9, 2022 at 01:42pm.
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

Enjoyable film, possibly one nit to pick with the ending, but yes, worth a watch.

I have to admit, I enjoyed this more than I thought I was going to...

After all the refuse we have been given after Predator 2, this was a nice surprise.

However, as a pretty decent Predator fan, there are some things I was not keen on:

-The look of the Yautja in this movie is atrocious... mask makes no sense, and its face is FAR removed from how the species actually looks.
    -The tethered hatchet is beyond ridiculous. Even suspending my disbelief for this movie, the makeshift MK Scorpion weapon is silly.
    -The movie completely disregards the Predator: 1718 storyline that describes how the Elder Predator acquired Raphael Adolini's flintlock.
    -The idea that a plant can lower your body-temperature to where it does not show up on thermal scans is also very silly. (the writers should have used the quicksand / mud as a thermal blocker...)
    -The laser-guided darts seemed to be a convenient plot-device at the end of the movie...

-This last peeve is more personal, but I wish that the entire movie was spoken in the characters' actual dialect with English subtitles... including the French explorers.

Fun fact: this movie started out as a theatrical release, but the studio got cold feet. This explains why it has a pretty big budget.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I have to admit, I enjoyed this more than I thought I was going to...

After all the refuse we have been given after Predator 2, this was a nice surprise.

However, as a pretty decent Predator fan, there are some things I was not keen on:

-The look of the Yautja in this movie is atrocious... mask makes no sense, and its face is FAR removed from how the species actually looks.
    -The tethered hatchet is beyond ridiculous. Even suspending my disbelief for this movie, the makeshift MK Scorpion weapon is silly.
    -The movie completely disregards the Predator: 1718 storyline that describes how the Elder Predator acquired Raphael Adolini's flintlock.
    -The idea that a plant can lower your body-temperature to where it does not show up on thermal scans is also very silly. (the writers should have used the quicksand / mud as a thermal blocker...)
    -The laser-guided darts seemed to be a convenient plot-device at the end of the movie...

-This last peeve is more personal, but I wish that the entire movie was spoken in the characters' actual dialect with English subtitles... including the French explorers.

Fun fact: this movie started out as a theatrical release, but the studio got cold feet. This explains why it has a pretty big budget.
    I hadn't really thought to list out all the issues I had with the movie after watching it, but I think your list pretty much nails it for me.

Although I would have preferred a more traditional Yautja look, the different look wasn't a huge deal to me. It seems like every new Predator thing that comes out now has to have some new breed/tribe/hybrid/etc. whose existence has to be explained (or not). I almost just accept it as a given at this point.

Not only was the tethered hatchet completely preposterous, it just seemed unnecessary to me. Did we really need that inane idea to justify pulling her out of the mud?

I really hate it when movies just decide they are going to disregard well established lore just because it's not from another movie. The 1718 story wasn't deeply profound and life changing or anything, but at least it made sense. This is little more than the movie saying "SEE?! It's the thing! REMEMBER? Ah? AH? YEAH! Ain't that neat?!" No. It's kind of dumb in fact. Even if Golden Angel/Elder Predator shows up in Prey 2: Electric Boogaloo and kills Naru in an epic clash of "champions" and takes her "prized" gun as a memento of Earth's "great" hunter, this movie didn't do anything (that I recall) to make the gun significant in the first place.

I thought the same thing about the body-temperature-lowering medicine. Again, was this even a necessary thing to have? Is this just a box that all Predator movies have to check regardless?

Oddly enough, I think the laser-guided projectiles, and more importantly what was done with them, are the thing that bother me the most. As dumb as a lot of the other stuff is, I can generally look past it. However, since this is tied to the climax, it's a combination of a dumb idea AND completely nonsensical behavior that makes the movie (that was otherwise pretty good) end on a somewhat disappointing note.

I'm guessing there probably aren't enough people (or any for that matter) who can actually speak Comanche and perform the acting roles.

This was one of those types of movies that I (mostly) enjoyed while I was watching it. However, once it was over and I let it marinade in my mind, there wasn't much if anything that was particularly special about it. It's basically the second or third best Predator movie now; I could see an argument for either. Prey may be a better movie in general than Predator 2, but I think Predator 2 is more important to Predator lore than Prey was.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    This last peeve is more personal, but I wish that the entire movie was spoken in the characters' actual dialect with English subtitles... including the French explorers.
    I think not subtitling the French is a deliberate choice. The audience is supposed to identify with the Comanches, so not subtitling the French makes their language as impenetrable to us as it is to them.

Oh dear no. I cannot both read and watch a movie at the same time lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I hadn't really thought to list out all the issues I had with the movie after watching it, but I think your list pretty much nails it for me.

Although I would have preferred a more traditional Yautja look, the different look wasn't a huge deal to me. It seems like every new Predator thing that comes out now has to have some new breed/tribe/hybrid/etc. whose existence has to be explained (or not). I almost just accept it as a given at this point.

I really hate it when movies just decide they are going to disregard well established lore just because it's not from another movie. The 1718 story wasn't deeply profound and life changing or anything, but at least it made sense. This is little more than the movie saying "SEE?! It's the thing! REMEMBER? Ah? AH? YEAH! Ain't that neat?!" No. It's kind of dumb in fact. Even if Golden Angel/Elder Predator shows up in Prey 2: Electric Boogaloo and kills Naru in an epic clash of "champions" and takes her "prized" gun as a memento of Earth's "great" hunter, this movie didn't do anything (that I recall) to make the gun significant in the first place.

This was one of those types of movies that I (mostly) enjoyed while I was watching it. However, once it was over and I let it marinade in my mind, there wasn't much if anything that was particularly special about it. It's basically the second or third best Predator movie now; I could see an argument for either. Prey may be a better movie in general than Predator 2, but I think Predator 2 is more important to Predator lore than Prey was.
    Yeah, for me the look of the Yautja is really important. Pred 1 & 2 were the best looking, but after that, it is a quick downward spiral... (although, AVP:R's Wolf Predator looks good.) I didn't think that they could do any worse than the Berserker Predator... I was wrong.

The flintlock might be an easter egg that comes back to bite them. There is no legitimate way for them to explain what happens for it to end up on the Pred2 ship. If they wanted to include it so badly, then they should have had two hunters dropped on the planet - one being dealt with by the Comanche and the other making short work of the French trappers. Everything would have gone the same, except that when Naru kills her predator, the second one is seen wearing the flintlock when it comes to recover the body.

Something else that bothered me was the time of year in which the movie takes place... it is established that the Predator only hunts in the hottest seasons/years. They should have made an effort to keep this part of the lore.

(Consequently, this is one -of MANY- reasons why I abhor AVP... it takes place in Antarctica!?!?)

Prey is definitely a popcorn movie to enjoy in-the-moment, but loses its luster when scrutinized afterward.

My brother and I joked that they should have just made Apocalypto with a Predator... in actuality, it probably would have worked out really well and kept it within [movie] canon because it explains how the Yautja established a hunting ground in the Yucatan peninsula.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

OMG people stop being so nit picky and just enjoy it for what it is! It's a good movie lol!
    Last edited by depp76; August 10, 2022 at 05:32am.

This is a problem all the Predator movies have and while it wasn't really a problem in the original (back when it was a one off), it's repetition has morphed it into a problem over time.

The humans invariably beat the Predators by getting wise to their tricks and turning the tables on them. The fact that this keeps happening kind of makes the Predators feel less like these bad ass beyond human, hunters. And more like a set of pitiful bullies who are only able to get kills by way of their massive advantages over their pray and are to dumb to adapt, when they start losing the edge.

I really enjoyed the movie.

There is a native dialect version coming out so that solves that problem, whether the french will have subtitles in that version I donít know though, also the end credits explained how the predators got that gun back.

Heroic Warrior
    Thereís an end credit scene?!

Itís more a mid credits bit, blink and youíll miss it though.