Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Masters of the Universe: Revolution (New Netflix Series)

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    It was always cool to see a character show up in G.I. Joe, TF, or TMNT based on a figure (or upcoming figure) that you wanted, but I'm glad MOTU concentrated on their own thing.

I think the Filmation show had a good mix of original and toy-based characters without it becoming redundant.
    I think they wanna avoid what happened with Filmation, they want as much control over all they can monetize since if another splitt happens again with Powerhouse for example and NBC Universal buys that then all the Powerhouse characters goes to Dreamworks.
    Sign me plz! (petition for Dreamworks She-Ra toys)
    https://chng.it/fHKxh4N7Ck

SPOP 2018 & MOTU:Re 2021 timeline comparison:
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...e-info-(enjoy)

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Catra2017 View Post
    I think they wanna avoid what happened with Filmation, they want as much control over all they can monetize since if another splitt happens again with Powerhouse for example and NBC Universal buys that then all the Powerhouse characters goes to Dreamworks.
    The whole Filmation deal most likely is because Filmation put up money as well into the production of "He-Man", and the deal that if Filmation created a character like Lizard Man, which Mattel could make into a toy, then Mattel would need to pay royalties to Filmation for it. But you can check out that in the 80s Mattel didn't really create toys out of Filmation-created characters...

Mattel has not done a similar thing anymore for quite some time. MYP Series is a good indication of that. Just because if some company came in and bought MYP (now days Splash Entertainment), they wouldn't suddenly get any MYP characters.

Mattel is creating and producing the Netflix shows. The animating work is done at Powerhouse and other studios.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    The whole Filmation deal most likely is because Filmation put up money as well into the production of "He-Man", and the deal that if Filmation created a character like Lizard Man, which Mattel could make into a toy, then Mattel would need to pay royalties to Filmation for it. But you can check out that in the 80s Mattel didn't really create toys out of Filmation-created characters...

Mattel has not done a similar thing anymore for quite some time. MYP Series is a good indication of that. Just because if some company came in and bought MYP (now days Splash Entertainment), they wouldn't suddenly get any MYP characters.

Mattel is creating and producing the Netflix shows. The animating work is done at Powerhouse and other studios.
    Didn't Mattel have to pay royalties to Filmation for the vintage Orko figure?

What about the unique characters created in the MYP show, like Pravhus or Lord Dactus? Are they not owned by Mattel?

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    This whole situation reminds me of the Habro / Marvel mess surrounding the character Bug. If my memory is serving me correctly, the whole story goes that Marvel acquired the license from Hasbro to do comics based on the Micronauts toys back in the late 1970s.

The green insect guy though...Bug...^... had a design not based on a toy. This established some weird joint ownership.

Later on in 2008, Bug joined the now super famous new rendition of Guardians of the Galaxy.

But when it came to the movies, Bug couldn't be used. Director James Gunn said he wanted to use Bug in his all GOTG films, including the third one currently in production, but he revealed Marvel only owns the comic rights to Bug.
    - - - - -
    FOR ETERNIA Official YouTube Channel
    News, Podcasts, Reviews, Unboxings and More

ForEternia.com
    News & Content on Masters of the Universe: Revelation, Revolution & More

- - - - -

Last Dr Strange movie has Shuma-Gorath in it but he's not called that and all material refers to him as Gigantus or something like that because technically he's a Conan character.

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Didn't Mattel have to pay royalties to Filmation for the vintage Orko figure?
    Basically. As I recall you can even see Filmation copyright on vintage Orkos.

What about the unique characters created in the MYP show, like Pravhus or Lord Dactus? Are they not owned by Mattel?
    They are. Mattel was very hands on with 2002 cartoon and for example if you would have your own studio to produce DVDs, you need to talk to Mattel if you want to release MYP Series.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Last Dr Strange movie has Shuma-Gorath in it but he's not called that and all material refers to him as Gigantus or something like that because technically he's a Conan character.
    That's right! Just the name though. The creature's first appearance was in a Dr. Strange comic but they took the name from a Robert E. Howard character which is so strange (no pun intended) looking from afar. Maybe it was just a writer's tip of a hat to another writer as a big fan.
    - - - - -

ForEternia.com

- - - - -

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    That's right! Just the name though. The creature's first appearance was in a Dr. Strange comic but they took the name from a Robert E. Howard character which is so strange (no pun intended) looking from afar. Maybe it was just a writer's tip of a hat to another writer as a big fan.
    They did the same thing with Hepzibah from the Star Jammers, lifted a name and likeness from old Pogo comics. It's why she doesn't look like a skunk anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylamug View Post
    They did the same thing with Hepzibah from the Star Jammers, lifted a name and likeness from old Pogo comics. It's why she doesn't look like a skunk anymore.
    Interesting!
    - - - - -

ForEternia.com

- - - - -

I just want to poke my head in, derail this thread for a moment, and say that the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning relaunch of The Guardians of the Galaxy is some of the best cosmic Marvel ever put on paper. Truth.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I just want to poke my head in, derail this thread for a moment, and say that the Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning relaunch of The Guardians of the Galaxy is some of the best cosmic Marvel ever put on paper. Truth.
    Indeed! Annihilation Conquest 2 and DnA's GOTG 2008 run is just aces!
    - - - - -

ForEternia.com

- - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    Indeed! Annihilation Conquest 2 and DnA's GOTG 2008 run is just aces!
    Agreed.

I really enjoyed their take on the Legion of Superheroes (probably my all-time favorite comic) in Legion Lost and The Legion... and when they came over to Marvel during the Annihilation Conquest, GotG, and the Thanos Imperative, I was hooked.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<