Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Origins Wun-Dar

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post

Naive to think you could stop this cycle. Itīs human nature. If no one buys them 100$ each, try 80. Still not selling? Try 50 and you will have the first bottom feeders come and get them to resell them at 60 again. Very basic market rules apply. https://www.britannica.com/topic/supply-and-demand
    It's also naive of me to think that I could convince some collectors to regain some level of dignity.

This is an abusive relationship some of ye have with Mattel and it kind of saddens me that you're all willing to do it all over again with the next shiny they produce in severely limited quantities.
    Last edited by binkibonsai; Yesterday at 11:14pm.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    What about the people that were online when the sale first started, but missed out while checking out because of the two minute sell out? Not everyone can hang out online all day hoping something pops back up and some of those people ordering the second go around weren't even online on time for the proper first sale time. It's too bad that people got their second round orders canceled, but I feel I should have just as much of a shot at any re-release as them. I even got an email stating Wundar was in my cart and waiting for me to check out. Of course when I clicked the link, it said empty.

I did not say you couldn't I just said the ones who had their orders cancelled would have first crack ala a preorder as opposed to an in stock sale. I don't think there would be enough on just that for a second run they would have to open it up for everyone just to get MOQ

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    We can spend our time bickering on an online forum Or we can put the blame on Mattel for once. Thier system is broken. I'm starting to think the 24 Hour timed exclusive is the way to go. At least it's an attempt to solve a system that clearly doesn't work and only favors a select group who only care about reselling at 3 to 5 times the value, over the many dedicated fans who love the franchise.
    Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Quote Originally Posted by binkibonsai View Post
    It's also naive of me to think that I could convince some collectors to regain some level of dignity.
    This is just a game. You either win or you lose, maybe you win next round. Whatever happens, the world will not collapse because you missed out on a certain 17$ plastic figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post
    the 24 Hour timed exclusive is the way to go.
    Downside is the 12 or whatever month production time. Maybe Mattel should simply make more exclusives in the first place? If they had 1000 Wun-Dars, try 5000. Just guessing the numbers here.

This is just a game. You either win or you lose, maybe you win next round. Whatever happens, the world will not collapse because you missed out on a certain 17$ plastic figure.
    This isn't a game. It's lazy marketing and bad customer service. Imagine if this was happening in a physical store/in person. The store clerk/cashier taking things out of your basket and saying it belongs to the person in front of you with a full trolley with the product. Because that's what's happening. Completely ridiculous.

Downside is the 12 or whatever month production time. Maybe Mattel should simply make more exclusives in the first place? If they had 1000 Wun-Dars, try 5000. Just guessing the numbers here.
    Most of these toylines plan things out years in advance, so I don't mind if I know a little earlier of a future toy's existence. We've know about this figure since Power-Con of 2021. It would have been better had they take pre-orders back in say October of last year, but I don't mind waiting an extra 6 months to a year if it guarantees I get something. I can understand why some who live paycheck to paycheck might not like having money tied to something that is not physically in their hands so the could sell it if they had to, but that doesn't describe most collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Sorceress View Post
    This isn't a game. It's lazy marketing and bad customer service. Imagine if this was happening in a physical store/in person. The store clerk/cashier taking things out of your basket and saying it belongs to the person in front of you with a full trolley with the product. Because that's what's happening. Completely ridiculous.
    While there were no store employees taking things out of your card **** got crazy over Cabbage Patch Kids, Power Rangers, Beanie Babies, and Tickle Me Elmo, to name a few, did cause fights between costumers. The Cabbage Patch Kids incidents are even call "riots". People going crazy over toys is not new and it wont go away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage_Patch_riots
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 6/25/2022

Quote Originally Posted by Val-Or View Post
    True, but I was going to keep him MOC. Itís a small thing, but thatís how we collectors are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sounds frustrating actually. Modern toys are completely made with customization in mind. You can remove clothes, change weapons, and even swap heads.

And all this thoughtful design is completely useless if you're not going to open the box. I imagine similar problem must came to people who would want Classics Bow with a mustache.

As several other posters have already mentioned, Mattel's sales model for these exclusives is to make a mere fraction of the number that would actually fill the demand and to quickly sell through the entire stock. Mattel couldn't care less that most of the sales end up going to scalpers using bots and buying multiples in order to sell them for ridiculously inflated prices on eBay. Nintendo had the same philosophy when they released the NES Classic a few years ago: produce a very small amount, wait for the scalpers and collectors to get into a "feeding frenzy" for the product, and quickly sell every item. (Of course, Nintendo kind of relented with this when they released the SNES Classic and produced a larger amount and then rereleased another small batch of NES Classics.) All the struggles and drama resulting from collectors desperate to get this exclusive Wundar makes me glad I completely forgot about the Wundar sale, and then decided I'll only get him if he's released later in the retail line. (Though I do have to admit, the art on the brown box he comes in is pretty cool.)

Ye know this.

I know this.

The collectors screaming at the ether at how sick and tired they are of struggling to get a recolor He-Man do not seem to know this; if they did they wouldn't be screaming with rage.

If ye dinnae like the game, don't play.

Am I the crazy person here for pointing out that this frustration is largely self-inflicted?

I like Fisto. He's one of my favourite characters.

If Mattel went and made him an exclusive in miniscule quantities and made everyone fight for him, I would just spend me money elsewhere or start asking around me mates wot own a 3D printer.

The thing I don't get is that while Wonderbread He-Man has a colorful history and a place of reverence in the MotU mythos and community, you're still scrambling to get a copy.

It's not the original toy that's a piece of toy history, it's a modern, remastered copy of said toy.

How is a painted custom any different?

Ask someone who's opening their Wun-Dar to scan the front and back of the card, buy a He-Man on clearance, spray it the various colors, stick him back in the plastic, print the scan on good cardstock, cut it out, glue the plastic on and boom, ye have a Wun-Dar on card for a fraction of the price and the headache ye'd have buying it from a scalper for some hideous triple-digit sum.

Unless ye plan to resell the figure down the line, it works just as well.

If anything it becomes the pride of your collection because ye made this with yer own two hands.

EDIT: Wait.. Something just occurred to me.

Am I reading posts too literally? Is this struggle and frustration actually enjoyable to ye all?

Could someone please enlighten me because now I'm starting to wonder if I'm the crazy one for trying to make sense of this love-hate relationship some of ye have with Mattel.
    Last edited by binkibonsai; Today at 02:07pm. Reason: A slow and steady descent into madness.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    That sounds frustrating actually. Modern toys are completely made with customization in mind. You can remove clothes, change weapons, and even swap heads.

And all this thoughtful design is completely useless if you're not going to open the box. I imagine similar problem must came to people who would want Classics Bow with a mustache.
    I may try to cut the bubble free just enough to remove Wun-Dar, remove his armor, and then return him to the bubble. It depends on how I feel when I see the package in hand. I wonder how much it costs to make a resealable package. It would be ideal for collector pieces not sold in stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Most of these toylines plan things out years in advance, so I don't mind if I know a little earlier of a future toy's existence. We've know about this figure since Power-Con of 2021. It would have been better had they take pre-orders back in say October of last year, but I don't mind waiting an extra 6 months to a year if it guarantees I get something. I can understand why some who live paycheck to paycheck might not like having money tied to something that is not physically in their hands so the could sell it if they had to, but that doesn't describe most collectors.
    Then what about the MOTUC Fisto debacle? I HAD a subscription and they STILL did not honor the one's that subbed and NEVER got one...Same thing here except that this is the "Flash sale" and once they are gone they are gone.

See they are re-relesing older Origins figure why not do the same for Comics Tri-Klops,Wun-Dar,Sun-Man and Kol-Darr?

They already have the tooling so what is the problem?? I said it before i'll say it again a company is in business to MAKE money for the company NOT the secondary market once thet realize this the sooner things will be OK

BTW Funny thing is that they released the LOP figures on single cards and you can find these at a reasonable price.... Gee how did that happen....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    BTW Funny thing is that they released the LOP figures on single cards and you can find these at a reasonable price.... Gee how did that happen....
    Funny ye should mention that; I was considering getting the red LoP Beastman and painting on his warpaint as I'm not mad about the original vintage design.

Then I found this awesome MotU-style werewolf on a 3D site and went "oooooo, shiny..."

Vote with your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by binkibonsai View Post
    Funny ye should mention that; I was considering getting the red LoP Beastman and painting on his warpaint as I'm not mad about the original vintage design.

Then I found this awesome MotU-style werewolf on a 3D site and went "oooooo, shiny..."
    Just saying it could be done but will Mattel? Probably not...