Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins Wun-Dar

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post

Naive to think you could stop this cycle. It´s human nature. If no one buys them 100$ each, try 80. Still not selling? Try 50 and you will have the first bottom feeders come and get them to resell them at 60 again. Very basic market rules apply. https://www.britannica.com/topic/supply-and-demand
    It's also naive of me to think that I could convince some collectors to regain some level of dignity.

This is an abusive relationship some of ye have with Mattel and it kind of saddens me that you're all willing to do it all over again with the next shiny they produce in severely limited quantities.
    Last edited by binkibonsai; June 25, 2022 at 11:14pm.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    What about the people that were online when the sale first started, but missed out while checking out because of the two minute sell out? Not everyone can hang out online all day hoping something pops back up and some of those people ordering the second go around weren't even online on time for the proper first sale time. It's too bad that people got their second round orders canceled, but I feel I should have just as much of a shot at any re-release as them. I even got an email stating Wundar was in my cart and waiting for me to check out. Of course when I clicked the link, it said empty.

I did not say you couldn't I just said the ones who had their orders cancelled would have first crack ala a preorder as opposed to an in stock sale. I don't think there would be enough on just that for a second run they would have to open it up for everyone just to get MOQ

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    We can spend our time bickering on an online forum Or we can put the blame on Mattel for once. Thier system is broken. I'm starting to think the 24 Hour timed exclusive is the way to go. At least it's an attempt to solve a system that clearly doesn't work and only favors a select group who only care about reselling at 3 to 5 times the value, over the many dedicated fans who love the franchise.
    Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Quote Originally Posted by binkibonsai View Post
    It's also naive of me to think that I could convince some collectors to regain some level of dignity.
    This is just a game. You either win or you lose, maybe you win next round. Whatever happens, the world will not collapse because you missed out on a certain 17$ plastic figure.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post
    the 24 Hour timed exclusive is the way to go.
    Downside is the 12 or whatever month production time. Maybe Mattel should simply make more exclusives in the first place? If they had 1000 Wun-Dars, try 5000. Just guessing the numbers here.

Heroic Warrior Ultimate Sorceress's Avatar
    This is just a game. You either win or you lose, maybe you win next round. Whatever happens, the world will not collapse because you missed out on a certain 17$ plastic figure.
    This isn't a game. It's lazy marketing and bad customer service. Imagine if this was happening in a physical store/in person. The store clerk/cashier taking things out of your basket and saying it belongs to the person in front of you with a full trolley with the product. Because that's what's happening. Completely ridiculous.

Downside is the 12 or whatever month production time. Maybe Mattel should simply make more exclusives in the first place? If they had 1000 Wun-Dars, try 5000. Just guessing the numbers here.
    Most of these toylines plan things out years in advance, so I don't mind if I know a little earlier of a future toy's existence. We've know about this figure since Power-Con of 2021. It would have been better had they take pre-orders back in say October of last year, but I don't mind waiting an extra 6 months to a year if it guarantees I get something. I can understand why some who live paycheck to paycheck might not like having money tied to something that is not physically in their hands so the could sell it if they had to, but that doesn't describe most collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Sorceress View Post
    This isn't a game. It's lazy marketing and bad customer service. Imagine if this was happening in a physical store/in person. The store clerk/cashier taking things out of your basket and saying it belongs to the person in front of you with a full trolley with the product. Because that's what's happening. Completely ridiculous.
    While there were no store employees taking things out of your card **** got crazy over Cabbage Patch Kids, Power Rangers, Beanie Babies, and Tickle Me Elmo, to name a few, did cause fights between costumers. The Cabbage Patch Kids incidents are even call "riots". People going crazy over toys is not new and it wont go away.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage_Patch_riots
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 7/30/2022

Quote Originally Posted by Val-Or View Post
    True, but I was going to keep him MOC. It’s a small thing, but that’s how we collectors are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sounds frustrating actually. Modern toys are completely made with customization in mind. You can remove clothes, change weapons, and even swap heads.

And all this thoughtful design is completely useless if you're not going to open the box. I imagine similar problem must came to people who would want Classics Bow with a mustache.

As several other posters have already mentioned, Mattel's sales model for these exclusives is to make a mere fraction of the number that would actually fill the demand and to quickly sell through the entire stock. Mattel couldn't care less that most of the sales end up going to scalpers using bots and buying multiples in order to sell them for ridiculously inflated prices on eBay. Nintendo had the same philosophy when they released the NES Classic a few years ago: produce a very small amount, wait for the scalpers and collectors to get into a "feeding frenzy" for the product, and quickly sell every item. (Of course, Nintendo kind of relented with this when they released the SNES Classic and produced a larger amount and then rereleased another small batch of NES Classics.) All the struggles and drama resulting from collectors desperate to get this exclusive Wundar makes me glad I completely forgot about the Wundar sale, and then decided I'll only get him if he's released later in the retail line. (Though I do have to admit, the art on the brown box he comes in is pretty cool.)

Ye know this.

I know this.

The collectors screaming at the ether at how sick and tired they are of struggling to get a recolor He-Man do not seem to know this; if they did they wouldn't be screaming with rage.

If ye dinnae like the game, don't play.

Am I the crazy person here for pointing out that this frustration is largely self-inflicted?

I like Fisto. He's one of my favourite characters.

If Mattel went and made him an exclusive in miniscule quantities and made everyone fight for him, I would just spend me money elsewhere or start asking around me mates wot own a 3D printer.

The thing I don't get is that while Wonderbread He-Man has a colorful history and a place of reverence in the MotU mythos and community, you're still scrambling to get a copy.

It's not the original toy that's a piece of toy history, it's a modern, remastered copy of said toy.

How is a painted custom any different?

Ask someone who's opening their Wun-Dar to scan the front and back of the card, buy a He-Man on clearance, spray it the various colors, stick him back in the plastic, print the scan on good cardstock, cut it out, glue the plastic on and boom, ye have a Wun-Dar on card for a fraction of the price and the headache ye'd have buying it from a scalper for some hideous triple-digit sum.

Unless ye plan to resell the figure down the line, it works just as well.

If anything it becomes the pride of your collection because ye made this with yer own two hands.

EDIT: Wait.. Something just occurred to me.

Am I reading posts too literally? Is this struggle and frustration actually enjoyable to ye all?

Could someone please enlighten me because now I'm starting to wonder if I'm the crazy one for trying to make sense of this love-hate relationship some of ye have with Mattel.
    Last edited by binkibonsai; June 26, 2022 at 02:07pm. Reason: A slow and steady descent into madness.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    That sounds frustrating actually. Modern toys are completely made with customization in mind. You can remove clothes, change weapons, and even swap heads.

And all this thoughtful design is completely useless if you're not going to open the box. I imagine similar problem must came to people who would want Classics Bow with a mustache.
    I may try to cut the bubble free just enough to remove Wun-Dar, remove his armor, and then return him to the bubble. It depends on how I feel when I see the package in hand. I wonder how much it costs to make a resealable package. It would be ideal for collector pieces not sold in stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Most of these toylines plan things out years in advance, so I don't mind if I know a little earlier of a future toy's existence. We've know about this figure since Power-Con of 2021. It would have been better had they take pre-orders back in say October of last year, but I don't mind waiting an extra 6 months to a year if it guarantees I get something. I can understand why some who live paycheck to paycheck might not like having money tied to something that is not physically in their hands so the could sell it if they had to, but that doesn't describe most collectors.
    Then what about the MOTUC Fisto debacle? I HAD a subscription and they STILL did not honor the one's that subbed and NEVER got one...Same thing here except that this is the "Flash sale" and once they are gone they are gone.

See they are re-relesing older Origins figure why not do the same for Comics Tri-Klops,Wun-Dar,Sun-Man and Kol-Darr?

They already have the tooling so what is the problem?? I said it before i'll say it again a company is in business to MAKE money for the company NOT the secondary market once thet realize this the sooner things will be OK

BTW Funny thing is that they released the LOP figures on single cards and you can find these at a reasonable price.... Gee how did that happen....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    BTW Funny thing is that they released the LOP figures on single cards and you can find these at a reasonable price.... Gee how did that happen....
    Funny ye should mention that; I was considering getting the red LoP Beastman and painting on his warpaint as I'm not mad about the original vintage design.

Then I found this awesome MotU-style werewolf on a 3D site and went "oooooo, shiny..."

Vote with your wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by binkibonsai View Post
    Funny ye should mention that; I was considering getting the red LoP Beastman and painting on his warpaint as I'm not mad about the original vintage design.

Then I found this awesome MotU-style werewolf on a 3D site and went "oooooo, shiny..."
    Just saying it could be done but will Mattel? Probably not...

Quote Originally Posted by Val-Or View Post
    I may try to cut the bubble free just enough to remove Wun-Dar, remove his armor, and then return him to the bubble. It depends on how I feel when I see the package in hand. I wonder how much it costs to make a resealable package. It would be ideal for collector pieces not sold in stores.

Are you planning something like that with Snout Spout? He's not wearing his vintage head in the box.

Maybe it's just me but I'm tired of not having a chance.

Maybe everyone else thinks it's cool to always have to pay double and triple price for something because you don't get the opportunity to buy it normally in stores or otherwise?

I personally hate it. I makes it less fun to collect a toy, knowing you're constantly paying more than you should. It's not like I'm trying to buy rare and valuable items. I'm just dealing with a poor supplier.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Heroic Warrior
    I said it before i'll say it again a company is in business to MAKE money for the company NOT the secondary market once thet realize this the sooner things will be OK
    the thing is they need a secondary market in order to make sales and succeed. quick sell outs produce more future sales. everyone scrambles and buys things they dont want or buy extras with hope they later resell at higher prices because everything sells out instantly. the more buzz around a product which always translates to a high secondary market does nothing but produce more long term sales for the company and creates hype around the brand. i know its frustrating as a collector but people need to realize heman wouldnt even be a thing if it wasnt for collectors and its collectors who create the secondary market in the first place. and there would not be nearly enough "collectors" in order to have this brand even exist at this point if there was literally zero value associated with the figures. just facts man.

look on ebay, everything that is popular and still going has a big secondary market. when you find things worthless on ebay theres also no existing product of it at retail. they need to coexist.

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post
    i know its frustrating as a collector but people need to realize heman wouldnt even be a thing if it wasnt for collectors and its collectors who create the secondary market in the first place. and there would not be nearly enough "collectors" in order to have this brand even exist at this point if there was literally zero value associated with the figures. just facts man.
    This doesn't make sense to me. So are you saying the people buying the product and selling it on the secondary market are the ones creating the demand? Because if their weren't buyers out there wanting the product, the secondary market wouldn't exist. And those buyers would much prefer to just buy the product at retail, at retail price.

He-man is a thing due to the collectors. It's profitable to Mattel otherwise they wouldn't produce it.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    Mattel Corporate: 310-252-2000. Found at http://corporate.mattel.com/contact-us/

Mattel Customer Service: 800-524-8697. Found at https://service.mattel.com/us/HoursOps.aspx

I hope Mattel is able help. Good luck everyone.
    I called and made my complaint. I was civil and polite, but detailed the whole frustrating experience. It won't change anything but I still want my voice to be heard.
    Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Maybe it's just me but I'm tired of not having a chance.

Maybe everyone else thinks it's cool to always have to pay double and triple price for something because you don't get the opportunity to buy it normally in stores or otherwise?

I personally hate it. I makes it less fun to collect a toy, knowing you're constantly paying more than you should. It's not like I'm trying to buy rare and valuable items. I'm just dealing with a poor supplier.
    I hate it too and this has seriously affected the way I'm thinking about collecting ever since Friday. I haven't been looking on Ebay or Mercari for ANYTHING, let alone Wun-Dar. I normally check a couple of times a day at least. I haven't tried finding anything at Walmart or Target, which I normally do on the weekends.

It reminds of me of collecting MOTUC. I couldn't afford the subscription at the time and so it was very stressful and quite angering to not be able to get some figures. Like Ram-Man... I eventually stopped collecting everything and didn't return until Origins started up . And even then, I went to Walmart a few times and they had nothing. And I told myself if this becomes anything like what MOTUC was, I wouldn't buy the figures.

I can see myself buying fewer figures going forward. Since I can't have them all.

Then what about the MOTUC Fisto debacle? I HAD a subscription and they STILL did not honor the one's that subbed and NEVER got one...Same thing here except that this is the "Flash sale" and once they are gone they are gone.

See this IS the main reason why Mattel doesn't care even for people that did sub out because of Mattel's screw up people didn't get Fisto or even "Sorry my bad" it became an afterthought...

So much for treating "loyal" customers/subscribers like they mattered...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me. So are you saying the people buying the product and selling it on the secondary market are the ones creating the demand? Because if their weren't buyers out there wanting the product, the secondary market wouldn't exist. And those buyers would much prefer to just buy the product at retail, at retail price.

He-man is a thing due to the collectors. It's profitable to Mattel otherwise they wouldn't produce it.
    MOTU only came back after a looong hiatus as collectors only line. the entire classics line was built around rarity and value. if the figures were worthless it would have failed in the first year and the new origins line would most likely have never even been thought of as a result. people can always say they buy things just because they like it and that is somewhat true but at the same time everyone wants the things they buy to have value. if the figures were literally worthless more than half the buyers would never buy them. toys, comics, whatever "collectibles" have a perceived value, if there is no value the line fails. these exclusives build value into the line. the line is struggling as is with everything hitting clearance and alot of pegwarmers. take a good chunk of collectors who only buy for value away and theres just zero chance the line can even survive.

ill give an example. since we have no idea of production runs ill run easy numbers. lets say they make 1,000 triklops and they sell out in minutes. that creates demand, buzz, and eagerness to buy more of the next one because of said value plus flipability. so then lets say they make 2,000 of sun man because of increased demand, he sells out again. again that creates more buzz. now they make 4,000 koldar and on and on they go. if they just made 10,000 triklops to start and they stayed available for months online there would be no interest and the probability of future figures is slim to none. yes, they could sell more figures in the forefront buy stocking more, but in the long run they can sell far more buy making them "rare and collectible". theres a reason things easily found at retail dont move, its because people just say "oh ill get it next time im at the store" they say that over and over and eventually lose interest and never buy it. when you cant even think if you want the item before it sells out you buy it instantly. theres been tons of research done on these collectible clubs and exclusives, pretty easy to find and read about. take a marketing course perhaps, its pretty common sense stuff. just because people get frustrated over not getting every little thing they want doesnt mean its bad for business. ask sony if playstation 5 is struggling just because you cant find it everytime you go to the store.

MOTU only came back after a looong hiatus as collectors only line. the entire classics line was built around rarity and value. if the figures were worthless it would have failed in the first year and the new origins line would most likely have never even been thought of as a result. people can always say they buy things just because they like it and that is somewhat true but at the same time everyone wants the things they buy to have value. if the figures were literally worthless more than half the buyers would never buy them. toys, comics, whatever "collectibles" have a perceived value, if there is no value the line fails. these exclusives build value into the line. the line is struggling as is with everything hitting clearance and alot of pegwarmers. take a good chunk of collectors who only buy for value away and theres just zero chance the line can even survive.

ill give an example. since we have no idea of production runs ill run easy numbers. lets say they make 1,000 triklops and they sell out in minutes. that creates demand, buzz, and eagerness to buy more of the next one because of said value plus flipability. so then lets say they make 2,000 of sun man because of increased demand, he sells out again. again that creates more buzz. now they make 4,000 koldar and on and on they go. if they just made 10,000 triklops to start and they stayed available for months online there would be no interest and the probability of future figures is slim to none. yes, they could sell more figures in the forefront buy stocking more, but in the long run they can sell far more buy making them "rare and collectible". theres a reason things easily found at retail dont move, its because people just say "oh ill get it next time im at the store" they say that over and over and eventually lose interest and never buy it. when you cant even think if you want the item before it sells out you buy it instantly. theres been tons of research done on these collectible clubs and exclusives, pretty easy to find and read about. take a marketing course perhaps, its pretty common sense stuff. just because people get frustrated over not getting every little thing they want doesnt mean its bad for business. ask sony if playstation 5 is struggling just because you cant find it everytime you go to the store.
    If they sold out in minutes then there was obviously already demand. And once demand has been established, why continue to undersell? Do they not like making profit?

Your math makes no logic when you also talk about the peg warmers. So He-man and Skeletor were the first releases and sat on shelves. Why didn't the demand drop? Instead demand has been steady enough for secondary sellers to profit. Why would I not want to make that profit myself? What marketing class teaches a company to make less profit than possible while random other people make profit off your product?

Sony and the PS5 is your example?? You might be surprised to find out Sony also makes a few other products that do quite well. And since I work in manufacturing I can also tell you that if they could make and sell more PS5's, they most certainly would be doing so.

MOTU only came back after a looong hiatus as collectors only line. the entire classics line was built around rarity and value. if the figures were worthless it would have failed in the first year and the new origins line would most likely have never even been thought of as a result. people can always say they buy things just because they like it and that is somewhat true but at the same time everyone wants the things they buy to have value.
    Everyone does what they want but this feels like a terrible logic to me. You basically let dictate others what you want. This is how we get people actually buying this hideous Madsaki Skeletor.

New Adventure toys are rare now and must be pretty valuable but if I couldn't sell them for cash, I'd happily swap entire collection for say, CGI He-Man, cheap easy to get toys just because I like them better.

Mattel can't re-release Meteorbs anymore, right? Does that makes them jewel crowns of your collector set? Because I would prefer Modulok and Spikor.

I mean, this is just asking for companies to do it on purpose. Just start a line and randomly splash red marks on 1% of Skeletor toys and wait for fanbase to go crazy trying to find them.

Signed - guy who never cared about shiny Pokemon.

I received an email from Mattel regarding Wun-Dar -

Thank you for reaching out to us and we definitely appreciate your interest with our Masters of the Universe Origins Wun-Dar Figure. Due to high demand, the figure is currently sold out. But, we have seen more interest than expected with some items this year, and we are using those key learnings to determine what we are producing for the end of this year and into next year.

Regrettably, we don't have any information to share on when it will be released again. Please keep your eyes on our website for the latest updates!

Best Wishes,
    Netty L.
    Mattel Consumer Services

The Mattel Family of Brands Support
    Mon. to Fri., 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET
    Phone: 201-443-1091
    Visit: https://creations.mattel.com/pages/contact-us