Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Streaming platforms taking over as traditional TV is phasing out

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior The 90'z Rules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    178

    Streaming platforms taking over as traditional TV is phasing out



    Ok I thought this may be interesting as we not only have some wonderful streaming platforms (Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Discovery+) and even free one's such as Pluto TV and Freevee (IMDB) as well, YouTube also we could throw in the mix to a degree plus sports are slowly but slowly starting to play catch up as BT Sport (in the UK) are about to go into a joint venture with Discovery+ to make it more affordable and promotion companies such as UFC having their own streaming platform too, I absolutely love the way TV is going with these streaming services as traditional TV slowly phases out now (which is great in my opinion).

    Of course we had Netflix who were the one's to really get the ball rolling, pretty much everyone I know has a Netflix account simply because it's affordable and people don't mind paying for them when they don't over charge (though to be fair Netflix are kinda losing in that sense due to constant price rises) however we have Amazon Prime Video which is great, Disney+ which is also fantastic and Paramount+ are about to launch in the UK with a huge marketing campaign completely taking over London, it's looking like they are going to be huge from the way things are going there.

    So I was wondering what you guys thought to these streaming services, which one's are your favourites and also which do you feel are the best when it comes to content and value for money?

    I thought this could be an interesting kind discussion and we can learn from each other in various parts of the world how it is for us which could be good :)

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Neophron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,548
    People like me seldom watch TV nowadays but I sometimes prefer watching movies on Netflix and on my phone.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    367
    Well, I personally could not go back to traditional TV now. I am a bit of a film enthusiast, and suffering through commercials and watching stuff at fixed times is just a no-go in the 21st century.

    That said, I am torn as far as streaming services go. On the one hand, I really enjoyed the early days when one Netflix subscription was basically all you needed. But nowadays I have three subscriptions (Prime, Disney+ and Netflix) and that just about covers all the "bases" for me. But I do worry that the market will fragment even further as more studios etc are setting up their own services. This would not be that big of a deal, as long as the prices reflect the smaller content selection(s). But who knows...

    Anyway, apart from convenience, I do enjoy the fact that the streaming model has helped create some content that probably would not have worked on traditional TV, or in movies. I mean, Netflix actually is a pretty big movie studio now. Same with the various Disney+ shows (although their quality is sadly...debatable).
    Last edited by Lasastard; June 20, 2022 at 03:47am.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior The 90'z Rules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    People like me seldom watch TV nowadays but I sometimes prefer watching movies on Netflix and on my phone.
    Yeah, I haven't watched traditional TV in years, I tend to put shows on in the background on streaming platforms I subscribe to and let them play which I really like, only thing is I'm not keen watching on my phone as I prefer things on my TV but the fact we can do this also with them is great because we can use them when traveling too so it's pretty cool really :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lasastard View Post
    Well, I personally could not go back to traditional TV now. I am a bit of a film enthusiast, and suffering through commercials and watching stuff at fixed times is just a no-go in the 21st century.

    That said, I am torn as far as streaming services go. On the one hand, I really enjoyed the early days when one Netflix subscription was basically all you needed. But nowadays I have three subscriptions (Prime, Disney+ and Netflix) and that just about covers all the "bases" for me. But I do worry that the market will fragment even further as more studios etc are setting up their own services. This would not be that big of a deal, as long as the prices reflect the smaller content selection(s). But who knows...

    Anyway, apart from convenience, I do enjoy the fact that the streaming model has helped create some content that probably would not have worked on traditional TV, or in movies. I mean, Netflix actually is a pretty big movie studio now. Same with the various Disney+ shows (although their quality is sadly...debatable).
    I'm exactly the same, not so much the film enthusiast (though I do like a good film now and again) but the commercials thing as well I hear you with.

    A lot of these streaming platforms too are now bringing in options where you can subscribe for a cheaper price with adverts or pay a little extra and have them without which I think is great because not only does it not eliminate families on any budget from having these services but it supports the platforms too as they either make extra money from their customers by choice or from advertisers paying them which I also agree is rightly so, when they provide a good service they deserve it and I've always felt that rinsing the customers for this was never good where as now, they balance it which again I think is great :)

    About the fragmentation thing, I hear you on that and I get that too however I'm not sure where you are but in the UK we'd have Sky TV as the front runner at one point and for Sky it was and still is expensive, say if you wanted Sky TV because you wanted Sky One however had no interest in all the other channels you still had to pay the full price and buy everything to get Sky One and if you wanted sports and movies on top, you still had to have the basic full sky package and then you could pay extra for sports and or movies, so you'd have to pay loads just to have sports which is not great where as with these streaming platforms we can do that like you say, but yeah I know what you mean about the fragmented thing as a lot of people have said that but as long as they keep their prices low, continue to support themselves with the options above such as commercials or commercial free services then it's all good, you could have all these streaming services and not be paying anything close to what you would with Sky (which also is a traditional TV service apart from we have catch up now) and with sports slowly but surely now coming into this, it's really good :)

    And yeah, you're right with the movie studio's such as Netflix, I'm pretty sure most shows and even a lot of movies go straight to these platforms now and we are getting more created content due to this as these TV and film makers have so many places to distribute their work so it's great in that sense also :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I very rarely watch TV (except for my current MasterChef obsession), I usually prefer watching DVD's, Netflix, YouTube and Disney Plus. :shgrin:
    Yeah, same, although DVD's have phased out for me but this is pretty much the same for me, we can also watch everything at once if we want and we don't have to wait for TV schedules to air them so it's so much better :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Paramount+ is now live in the UK, not much on it to be honest initially though it does seem to be building up a little which I'm sure it will do :)

    Last edited by The 90'z Rules; June 25, 2022 at 04:15am. Reason: Removing duplicate posts as forum was timing out.
    Kindness is king.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior The 90'z Rules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    178
    Just to add, I've just read a really great article about how regular Freeview in the UK is coming to Firestick's also, it's really great how all this is transitioning I feel!! :)
    Kindness is king.

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    426
    Tubi, to me, is a gift from the gods. So much content on there...stuff i hadnt seen or thought about in decades. It's amazing to me that I can literally go on there and easily find something I wanna watch on the way to my watch list. I can't seem to burn my way through all their content like I have with other streaming services.

  7. #7
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,252
    We like Paramount+, Apple TV+, Pluto (heck, just the name is enough to like it), Discovery+ and Netflix.

    I'd say Netflix and Paramount+ carry what we like best.

    Thank heavens I'm married to a younger, former Bose Stereo exec. This low-tech dinosaur would never be able to figure out how to navigate all that stuff. I get frustrated just trying to figure out our sound bar. When I get stuck on anything, I just start pressing a lot of buttons. Drives Kim up as wall...

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior The 90'z Rules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    Tubi, to me, is a gift from the gods. So much content on there...stuff i hadnt seen or thought about in decades. It's amazing to me that I can literally go on there and easily find something I wanna watch on the way to my watch list. I can't seem to burn my way through all their content like I have with other streaming services.
    What is Tubi, I've not heard of that before :) Sounds great though!! :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    We like Paramount+, Apple TV+, Pluto (heck, just the name is enough to like it), Discovery+ and Netflix.

    I'd say Netflix and Paramount+ carry what we like best.

    Thank heavens I'm married to a younger, former Bose Stereo exec. This low-tech dinosaur would never be able to figure out how to navigate all that stuff. I get frustrated just trying to figure out our sound bar. When I get stuck on anything, I just start pressing a lot of buttons. Drives Kim up as wall... :hmlol:
    Haha, that's awesome!!! lol Can I kindly ask where you are by the way? Just with you mentioning Paramount Plus as this has also just recently been launched in the UK but it's been a little disappointing to be honest as loads of content is missing and a lot of is is incomplete, I'm guessing this is because they're new here so hopefully that will improve but it's not been too great as people expected. The US version of course is fantastic!! :)
    Kindness is king.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    567
    Iím in the uk and I watch traditional tv still quite a lot but never live. Itís all recorded and scheduled. We also have Netflix Disney and prime, which is all we seem to need. I also stream a lot of movies n tv straight on my iPad

  10. #10
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,252
    We live in The Heartland of America, in a secret village carved from a forest located on the shores of Lake Michigan. In winter, with snow hanging from evergreen boughs, it resembles a Currier & Ives print.

    Paramount will always occupy a special place in my heart as the film rights for my first novel -- launching my long career -- were purchased by now-legendary Sherry Lansing, who went on to become Hollywood's longest serving studio head at Paramount, shepherding films that include Fatal Attraction, The Accused and Titanic and many others.

    Quote Originally Posted by The 90'z Rules View Post
    What is Tubi, I've not heard of that before Sounds great though!!

    - - - Updated - - -



    Haha, that's awesome!!! lol Can I kindly ask where you are by the way? Just with you mentioning Paramount Plus as this has also just recently been launched in the UK but it's been a little disappointing to be honest as loads of content is missing and a lot of is is incomplete, I'm guessing this is because they're new here so hopefully that will improve but it's not been too great as people expected. The US version of course is fantastic!!

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Catra2017's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Location
    Next to Adora
    Posts
    218
    I am not using TV anymore, parents still do tough.
    Sign me plz! (petition for Dreamworks She-Ra toys)
    https://chng.it/fHKxh4N7Ck

    SPOP 2018 & MOTU:Re 2021 timeline comparison:
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...e-info-(enjoy)

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ba'hee Priss Dimmie Forever!!
    Posts
    2,062
    I still watch quite a lot of regular tv... tho its mostly DVR. The only things i watch live would be Adult Swim in the evening. I have 5 streaming services and a full cable package. I still buy blu rays and DVDs, even VHS too as a LOT of stuff you'll never see anywhere else. No matter how may services I sub to, i'll never stop buying movies I truly enjoy. I'm probably not your average media watcher.
    nope

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior The 90'z Rules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    Iím in the uk and I watch traditional tv still quite a lot but never live. Itís all recorded and scheduled. We also have Netflix Disney and prime, which is all we seem to need. I also stream a lot of movies n tv straight on my iPad
    Yeah, I'm in the UK too but I haven't watched traditional TV for ages now, it's all been streaming platforms such as Netflix, Disney Plus, Paramount Plus, YouTube, BT Sport, Amazon Prime etc. that it's been so long since I last watched traditional TV, I don't even remember when I last did lol

    Do you have a favourite streaming platform you like best or do you tend to just navigate between them all? :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    We live in The Heartland of America, in a secret village carved from a forest located on the shores of Lake Michigan. In winter, with snow hanging from evergreen boughs, it resembles a Currier & Ives print.

    Paramount will always occupy a special place in my heart as the film rights for my first novel -- launching my long career -- were purchased by now-legendary Sherry Lansing, who went on to become Hollywood's longest serving studio head at Paramount, shepherding films that include Fatal Attraction, The Accused and Titanic and many others.
    Yeah, I was really excited for Paramount Plus to be launched in the UK I was going to buy a yearly subscription straight away but when they launched not only did they have barely any content but movie's would be missing for example Friday the 13th they have the second movie, 4, 5, 6 and 7 with the third and first movie missing, Paranormal Activity is incomplete, same with Scream they have have the 4th missing onwards, South Park has episodes missing, all the 90's Nickelodeon shows that were supposed to be there are all missing apart from Rugrats, the whole Beavis and Butt-Head original remastered episodes which are coming on the US version of Paramount Plus at the moment are all missing, all they have at the moment is the two movie's from Beavis and Butt-Head, the entire original Mission Impossible series is missing as well as the 5th film and I'm not a Star Trek fan but I've seen a lot of people saying how the animated series is missing and the two recent movies as well as some other things, Daria is also missing, I've heard people say certain episodes of CSI is missing and the Comedy Central part has only 6 titles, it's pretty poor to be honest where as the US one is incredible. I'm still subscribed but I'm considering whether to stick with it or not because so much really is missing, it's a shame really :(

    Edit: Paramount Plus UK have just added some of the classic remastered Beavis and Butt-Head episodes, so they're getting there. Think they've just been off to a slow start but they're getting better for sure!! :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Catra2017 View Post
    I am not using TV anymore, parents still do tough.
    Pretty much the same for me too :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by H.A.L.9000 View Post
    I still watch quite a lot of regular tv... tho its mostly DVR. The only things i watch live would be Adult Swim in the evening. I have 5 streaming services and a full cable package. I still buy blu rays and DVDs, even VHS too as a LOT of stuff you'll never see anywhere else. No matter how may services I sub to, i'll never stop buying movies I truly enjoy. I'm probably not your average media watcher.:hmlol:
    Adult Swim looks incredible!!! haha A lot of people do like physical media though so it's definitely not uncommon, although I do feel it's few and far between now and becoming less and less be it with music, TV, games etc.. it's all digital now which I prefer to be honest but I get it with the physical media thing for sure :)
    Last edited by The 90'z Rules; July 29, 2022 at 07:48am.
    Kindness is king.

  14. #14
    Outlaw Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    6,451
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90'z Rules View Post
    What is Tubi, I've not heard of that before Sounds great though!!

    - - - Updated - - -
    http://www.tubitv.com (hopefully that's not against the rules as I think there are possibly in app purchases)
    I love Tubi, though. It's great. Freevee is another of my go-tos. Both Xfiles and Bones are streaming on it and Andromeda, and a couple of others have in the past. One of these two has some old episodes of Curse of Oak Island which my wife's family has been over the moon about.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

    "From Hollywood to Babylon, holy war to kingdom come
    On a trail of dust and ashes, when the burning sky is done
    A tide of change is coming and that is what you fear
    The earthquake is a coming, but you don't want to hear"
    - Iron Maiden, "Writing on the Wall"

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior The 90'z Rules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    http://www.tubitv.com (hopefully that's not against the rules as I think there are possibly in app purchases)
    I love Tubi, though. It's great. Freevee is another of my go-tos. Both Xfiles and Bones are streaming on it and Andromeda, and a couple of others have in the past. One of these two has some old episodes of Curse of Oak Island which my wife's family has been over the moon about.
    Ah I've just had a look at that, it's not available in the UK though :)

    Yeah, I've seen Freevee quite a bit when it was IMDB TV, Pluto is pretty good too, mainly for Bob and Margaret to be honest as they have a 24 hour channel there with it on but that's pretty cool lol

    Kindness is king.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior theAncients's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Eternia
    Posts
    370
    On a (somewhat) relevant note, I miss the time we used to go to video/dvd stores to get a new movie to watch.
    It was always a fun trip.

  17. #17
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    12,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    Tubi, to me, is a gift from the gods. So much content on there...stuff i hadnt seen or thought about in decades. It's amazing to me that I can literally go on there and easily find something I wanna watch on the way to my watch list. I can't seem to burn my way through all their content like I have with other streaming services.
    Tubi is awesome. Naruto, C.O.P.S., Conan the Adventurer, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Beast Wars, ALF including the animated version, and much more. The minute or two of commercials per half hour show aren't bad for a free service.

    I get HULU Live during the football and basketball season, so I sort of have traditional television if a streaming version of it counts. I stopped subscribing during the non-sports season since I couldn't find 70 bucks worth of material to watch each month.

    I rotate in and out of HBO Max, Netflix, and Peacock. I only need each a few months out of the year. I have Disney Plus currently on a buy 2 years, get 1 free deal, but I think that runs out in November (it is also packaged now with HULU Live automatically along with ESPN Plus).

    With more options now than ever, I feel the rotating around and subscribing to a couple at a time is the best option rather than keeping services year round and not getting your money's worth.

  18. #18
    Catwoman...Hear Me Roar! Mikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    The Catwoman's Catacomb
    Posts
    8,110
    Now that MasterChef is over for the year, I have no reason to watch traditional TV, I only watch YouTube, Netflix and Disney Plus as well as DVD's.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

    - Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior The 90'z Rules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Tubi is awesome. Naruto, C.O.P.S., Conan the Adventurer, G.I. Joe, Transformers, Beast Wars, ALF including the animated version, and much more. The minute or two of commercials per half hour show aren't bad for a free service.

    I get HULU Live during the football and basketball season, so I sort of have traditional television if a streaming version of it counts. I stopped subscribing during the non-sports season since I couldn't find 70 bucks worth of material to watch each month.

    I rotate in and out of HBO Max, Netflix, and Peacock. I only need each a few months out of the year. I have Disney Plus currently on a buy 2 years, get 1 free deal, but I think that runs out in November (it is also packaged now with HULU Live automatically along with ESPN Plus).

    With more options now than ever, I feel the rotating around and subscribing to a couple at a time is the best option rather than keeping services year round and not getting your money's worth.
    This is what I think is great about these streaming services as not only are they much better than traditional TV but they are really making things affordable for most people and trying to aim towards that at least with a lot of these things. For example, some services have now started to offer add tier services which means they can still earn their money as well as not eliminating anyone who may or may not be able to afford all these things, they're basically not rinsing out their customers to make their income by having the options of the customer having a lower cost or even free service with adverts on the platform or giving us the option to pay a little more in some cases to have an ad free service which I think it's great as it gives customers the options and it doesn't stop the companies from making their money from these services too, it's really good :)

    I hear Netflix are now talking about bringing in an ad free or ad tier option also which I think is a good thing, they have lost a lot of money it seems from password sharing so I can understand them wanting to make their money up but when they have big platforms like this advertisers and sponsors will pay huge money to advertise on their platform and that's the way to go as it means they don't have to keep rinsing their customers, which they should never do in my opinion as the customers also are the one's that are the backbone to keep them going with everything, so they seem to be making it work really well with the customers in mind and that's really important I feel!! :)

    I think we're going to get HBO over here in the UK too in the next few years or so from what I've heard but yeah it's great and we all get to enjoy things together too.

    The only thing I do wish they would improve on is licencing issues for various countries, like I get it with the whole licencing thing however there's so many things in play now where they can make sure they get everything they are supposed to that there's no reason things shouldn't be enjoyed worldwide by fans, I do feel this needs to improve a little but they are getting there for sure :)

    The sports thing though is really behind and the one playing catch up, they really shouldn't be charging 70 bucks a month for you guys in this day and age because as I say they have so many options for revenue now it's not needed, they only charge because they can if people continue to pay but they'd find they'll have more success and more money if they made it affordable for all and worked around that as quantity of customers will easily outweigh a small amount who can afford to pay the ridiculous prices, it's so out of touch to do that and this is where the sports industry in general are playing catch up (the music and film industry realised this a while ago which is why they're now in a much better place) :)

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Now that MasterChef is over for the year, I have no reason to watch traditional TV, I only watch YouTube, Netflix and Disney Plus as well as DVD's. :shgrin:
    Haha, yeah though it won't be long until that show is on one of these streaming platforms at some point I'm sure lol Are you a good cook then now after all those haha :D

    Paramount Plus is pretty good, they didn't start off great to be honest and were very disappointing at launch however they've started to improve and are really filling up their selection now. They've just added the new Beavis and Butt-Head season as well as the classic remastered seasons and the new movie, the new Scream movie has just been added and allsorts so where as before they had lots of movies missing and series incomplete, it does seem like they're really start to get better with this though they have still got quite a bit to go to be honest, however it's worth a try if you like that sorta stuff :)
    Last edited by The 90'z Rules; August 5, 2022 at 09:37am.
    Kindness is king.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,488
    I think the fact that (at least for the moment) streaming is cheaper, is also a big part of things. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in the UK you can have two or three streaming services for much less than your typical tv package, even with Netflix's recent price hike.

    People who can't a afford a tv package can likely afford at least one streaming service and people who can afford them, will often find having two or three streaming services a better and cheaper alternative.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior The 90'z Rules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I think the fact that (at least for the moment) streaming is cheaper, is also a big part of things. I can't speak for the rest of the world, but in the UK you can have two or three streaming services for much less than your typical tv package, even with Netflix's recent price hike.

    People who can't a afford a tv package can likely afford at least one streaming service and people who can afford them, will often find having two or three streaming services a better and cheaper alternative.
    Yeah, you're absolutely spot on!! They just have to make sure they stick with that being affordable because just like every other company, if they get greedy or start to constantly make it un-affordable they will fall because even the biggest companies that seem invincible eventually do either due to competition taking over or just with people more and more refusing to be ripped off basically but you're absolutely spot on!!

    I think a lot of this though is like with Sky for example, they are constantly putting their prices up and I think it was Forbes where I read if I'm not mistaken, but apparently this is old CEO's who know how traditional TV is dying so they're making their money and then going off into retirement. This is why Sky are adamant in regards to not lowering their prices and justifying these all the time while battling against all the streaming platforms but the problem is because they refuse to meet any middle ground and the whole structure is dated now it doesn't work charging those prices when there's so many alternatives and how TV is all transcending, which again is a good thing because they're getting paid for their work and customers all over the world on various budgets are able to afford and enjoy their wonderful entertainment, so it's a nice balance really :)

    Again, it's a good thing the way TV is transitioning and I love it because so many people couldn't afford Sky or these kind of things where as now, more and more families and homes are able to enjoy all different kinds of entertainment they know and love because they can afford to do so and that's how it should be. I honestly don't know anyone with Sky TV anymore and haven't for a long time, where as of course there's still people out there with it, it seems to few and far between now and as mentioned above pretty much everyone I know has a Netflix subscription, even if they're not using it and why ... because it's affordable to them so even with little use they don't mind paying for it because it's there for them and that's how it should be :)

    This is also why I feel it's good where Netflix are talking about bringing in the ad free tier option in where people can either pay extra and not have adverts or have it cheaper with adverts meaning it's affordable for whatever budget people have and/or choose to use without eliminating anyone and meaning Netflix can also make their money and profit as they should at the same time too, which is great and how it should be I feel :)

    They are getting there for sure and it's really just sports now who are a bit behind and playing catch up however with BT Sport and Discovery Plus (Eurosport) doing their merge this year it's getting better and better and this is where Sky are behind if they don't adapt sooner rather than later.

    BT have been fantastic actually, specially BT Sport, they have been awesome here in the UK and I have a lot of praise for them also :)
    Kindness is king.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior A Dalek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    1,488
    Quote Originally Posted by The 90'z Rules View Post
    Yeah, you're absolutely spot on!! They just have to make sure they stick with that being affordable because just like every other company, if they get greedy or start to constantly make it un-affordable they will fall because even the biggest companies that seem invincible eventually do either due to competition taking over or just with people more and more refusing to be ripped off basically but you're absolutely spot on!!

    I think a lot of this though is like with Sky for example, they are constantly putting their prices up and I think it was Forbes where I read if I'm not mistaken, but apparently this is old CEO's who know how traditional TV is dying so they're making their money and then going off into retirement. This is why Sky are adamant in regards to not lowering their prices and justifying these all the time while battling against all the streaming platforms but the problem is because they refuse to meet any middle ground and the whole structure is dated now it doesn't work charging those prices when there's so many alternatives and how TV is all transcending, which again is a good thing because they're getting paid for their work and customers all over the world on various budgets are able to afford and enjoy their wonderful entertainment, so it's a nice balance really

    Again, it's a good thing the way TV is transitioning and I love it because so many people couldn't afford Sky or these kind of things where as now, more and more families and homes are able to enjoy all different kinds of entertainment they know and love because they can afford to do so and that's how it should be. I honestly don't know anyone with Sky TV anymore and haven't for a long time, where as of course there's still people out there with it, it seems to few and far between now and as mentioned above pretty much everyone I know has a Netflix subscription, even if they're not using it and why ... because it's affordable to them so even with little use they don't mind paying for it because it's there for them and that's how it should be

    This is also why I feel it's good where Netflix are talking about bringing in the ad free tier option in where people can either pay extra and not have adverts or have it cheaper with adverts meaning it's affordable for whatever budget people have and/or choose to use without eliminating anyone and meaning Netflix can also make their money and profit as they should at the same time too, which is great and how it should be I feel

    They are getting there for sure and it's really just sports now who are a bit behind and playing catch up however with BT Sport and Discovery Plus (Eurosport) doing their merge this year it's getting better and better and this is where Sky are behind if they don't adapt sooner rather than later.

    BT have been fantastic actually, specially BT Sport, they have been awesome here in the UK and I have a lot of praise for them also
    I can certainly agree with that, but I think if Netflix doesn't want to lose out to the other streaming services, they need to improve their marketing. Netflix still seem to think the best way to market a show is radio silence and hoping word of mouth does all the work for them.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior The 90'z Rules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    I can certainly agree with that, but I think if Netflix doesn't want to lose out to the other streaming services, they need to improve their marketing. Netflix still seem to think the best way to market a show is radio silence and hoping word of mouth does all the work for them.
    Yeah 100%, I think sometimes when some platforms get so big or cement themselves they tend to lay back a little as if the work doesn't need to be done with them being established however that's never the case as other platforms will absolutely take over if you lay back on these things. Luckily with things such as social media and YouTube etc.. the creators behind the shows can often market the show too but when the platform is the biggest thing, then absolutely they should do this, totally agree 100%!! :)

    That's one of the things I admire about BT Sport too, on top of the fact they seem to be more in touch with things such as how they are also transitioning into this streaming platform thing with the Discovery Plus and Eurosport merger but even when they became so established they still give 110% in regards to marketing their shows, products and events, it's unreal!! If you watch a BT Sport promo you can see the quality of work they put in and the content they put out alongside their events too is really high quality, they put a lot of effort and work into things as much as they did when they were new back in 2013 trying to establish themselves, it's great!! :)
    Kindness is king.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •