Thread: Mattel Creations Experiment - Which Devices, Browsers, and Connections Work Best

Mattel Creations Experiment - Which Devices, Browsers, and Connections Work Best

Another member was asking in another thread if there were any tips on getting these Mattel Creations exclusive figures. I thought we could do an experiment. For anyone who is willing, post:

1. How long it took you to get your Wun-Dar purchase confirmation, or post that you didn't get him at all.
    2. What device did you use? PC, phone, tablet.
    3. What browser did you use? Edge, Chrome, Safari...?
    4. What type of internet connection were you on? Home/Work/School/Wifi/5G/4G?
    5. What went wrong, if anything (captcha not working...)?
    6. Did you use any other techniques?

If we had a good number of people interested, we might find something useful out. I will compile the data in an Excel spreadsheet and run some numbers. I think I'll throw this up on Facebook too to get a larger pool of data.

I'll try to keep track of all that today, but I cant tell you I got Koldar using Chrome, on my phone using 5G with no problems.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 7/30/2022

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    I'll try to keep track of all that today, but I cant tell you I got Koldar using Chrome, on my phone using 5G with no problems.
    Same for me with Kol Darr, but I'm 4G.

Kol Dar was no problem. Wun-Dar hopefully will be ok too. I still think it would be interesting to see which setup goes through fastest, in case we ever get to a release that really is limited and every second counts.

Court Magician
    The confirmation email implies I took one minute to get through.

I used my Windows 10 laptop, with Firefox 101.0.1 (64-bit) which is the most up to date version, on a 5G broadband connection.

I was lucky with Captcha as it asked about "stairs" which was reasonably obvious. Sometimes with Captcha I find it's not always clear what it's asking for, especially if you're not from the US and don't necessarily use the same terms or in the same way (e.g. "boats" include vessels I wouldn't apply the term to, does "tractor" include the cab of lorries, is a "traffic light" just the light mechanism or does it also include the pole).

I did briefly get stuck in a queue with a warning not to reload as that would make me lose my place. I fear on a smartphone this would easily happen - my browser reloads when you put your finger at the top and slide down which is easy to do and normally has no consequences (my previous queue purchase was for a cinema ticket where you get a four minute slot after selecting your seat in which to complete the purchase and reloading has no effect).

The preparation tips I tried include:

* A couple of hours beforehand make sure your browser and OS are up to date.
    * Disable CPU hoggers like WhatsApp desktop and the BBC iPlayer (or equivalent).
    * Have an existing account. About ten minutes beforehand explicitly log out and then log in again.
    * Have separate tabs open for the front page with the countdown and the specific item page. I found it had auto reloaded in the seconds as I switched tabs.

I would have been out in under a minute on my phone over Wi-Fi but, my bank messed me up today. They really messed my Friday up. Thank goodness for a super kind and awesome person here on the .org, I get to have a Wun-Dar. You know who you are

Widget
    #****mattelcreations

Itís not your connection or device, itís the fact that scalpers are using bots that can place orders much quicker than a human can.
    Calling all fellow Aussies to post in the Australian Collectors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    Itís not your connection or device, itís the fact that scalpers are using bots that can place orders much quicker than a human can.
    I got on right before Wun-Dar went live, checked out, and had my order confirmation in one minute. Maybe I was lucky, maybe I'm just that good?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 7/30/2022

Widget
    I was able to get him using Safari on my iPhone with a 5g connection. I was able to get Kol Darr the same way. What I did was I stayed on the countdown page then clicked explore as it hit zero then add to cart. I wasnít particularly rushing as I thought it would be the same with Kol Darr. Probably took me close to a minute going through the captcha and entering my CC number. Got my confirmation at 9:01

Used my work laptop while working from home. It's Windows 10. Used Chrome and was connected to my home wifi, and I have Spectrum gig internet, which is about as high speed as it comes. I was on the site waiting for it to go on sale right at noon. Took about two minutes for me to complete the process. I got an order confirmation with a timestamp of 12:02pm.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

Court Magician
    Logged in at 11am EDT on my desktop running Windows 10 and wired internet (used FireFox). Checked back at 11:59, page auto-refreshed at noon, and in less than a minute I was done. No queue, but the final confirmation kind of hung for a few seconds. Email was timestamped 12:01.

I got my order in. My Internet is woefully slow at 10Mb down. I have my credit card saved in Chrome so I just have to enter my 3 digit code. I think that is the reason I got my order in in time.

Confirmation email came at 9:02 PST.