Thread: Doug - Anyone remember this show and was the Disney version really that bad?

Doug - Anyone remember this show and was the Disney version really that bad?

I'm sure you guys remember Doug, it was very popular on Nickelodeon in the 90's then moved to the Disney channel which it got a lot of criticism due to lots of random changes in the format that even today new video's are being made on YouTube talking about the Disney version as opposed to the Nickelodeon version.

Doug reminded me of a modern day Charlie Brown, it was a really great show with his dog Porkchop, he'd often write in his journal, loved Patty Mayonnaise it was a really good heartfelt show.

It wasn't until recently when I watched it on Disney+ that I saw the Disney version in full, because I heard people constantly knocking the new show I kinda didn't want to watch it simply because I didn't want it to ruin it for me, however I did watch it at the back end of last year and you know what .... it was actually really good.

Don't get me wrong, the Nickelodeon version was the original and I loved that but seeing the Disney version I didn't feel the criticism was needed, sure there was some changes however it still felt like Doug and even though the voice of Doug was a new person (I think) it wasn't really noticeable until you actually listen for it and take notice of it if you get what I mean, had I have not known it was a new voice actor I doubt I'd have noticed.

So I was wondering what you guys thought to Doug as a show back in the day and if you saw the Disney version, what you thought about that?

I look forward to hearing from you guys :)
    Kindness is king.

Doug was great.

KILLER TOFUUUU!!!

Seen a few episodes of the Nick seasons and really say anything about them. Anyway remember the strait to video movie the put in theaters?
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Saw both versions. I thought they were good. The Nick version and the Disney version (though that new kid who became the Golden Salmon or whatever got annoying). Also found it clever what the acronym Dink stood for.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

I really enjoyed 90s Doug and I don't think I realized there was a newer version. I might have to track it down and see what I think. Although I probably should rewatch the original as I want to compare the shows as they are, not how my nostalgia remembers it.
    Tweeterhead 1/5 Legends Statue Want List: Zodak (200X style), King Grayskull (Revelation style), He-Man 2.0 (or 200X King Grayskull), Tung Lashor, Rattlor, She-Ra 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    Doug was great.

KILLER TOFUUUU!!!
    Yes, The Beets :D :D :D :D

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    Seen a few episodes of the Nick seasons and really say anything about them. Anyway remember the strait to video movie the put in theaters?
    Yeah, Doug's 1st Movie :) Not sure if it went in theaters or not but this is also on Disney+ :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Saw both versions. I thought they were good. The Nick version and the Disney version (though that new kid who became the Golden Salmon or whatever got annoying). Also found it clever what the acronym Dink stood for.
    Yeah, I'm glad I watched the Disney version recently as I did purposely not watch it before because of how much I constantly heard about the show being ruined but it's really not lol

I am kinda glad in a way I did put it off for so long though because I got to enjoy it as new recently and it was really good :)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    I really enjoyed 90s Doug and I don't think I realized there was a newer version. I might have to track it down and see what I think. Although I probably should rewatch the original as I want to compare the shows as they are, not how my nostalgia remembers it.
    Yeah, definitely, it's a really great show. The new version is on Disney+ by the way :)

The original Nick version was 91 - 94 and then the Disney version was 96 - 99, so it had a pretty good run :)

They had different intro's too, which were as follows:

Nickelodeon version

Disney version

Last edited by The 90'z Rules; June 29, 2022 at 06:48am.
    Kindness is king.

Wow, I was just browsing on this and just saw now there was a feature at MGM studio's apparently.

I don't know much about MGM studio's to be honest however this is an interesting write up here from earlier this year about the show back then.

One of the things I found interesting was this.

When Nicktoons first launched in 1991, there were only three original animated series greenlit as part of the launch. One of them was “Doug,” along with “The Ren & Stimpy Show” and “Rugrats.” Of course, series can’t continue making new episodes forever (unless it’s “The Simpsons,” apparently).
    It's a pretty good read if you fancy a browse: How TV series ‘Doug’ hopped from Universal Studios Florida to Disney-MGM Studios.
    Kindness is king.

I've just seen this article which I wanted to share as I think some of you might find this interesting

The article is called Things Only Adults Noticed In Doug and it talks about the different approach the show had at the time including the executive producer who worked on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles going on to say about the approach the show had which was appreciated, it's a good little article.

Honestly, Doug was such a great show and I do feel it seems to be a little underappreciated, it was one of the first shows on the Nicktoons brand and it does still look great today, it would be awesome to see a new Doug movie or something come around preferably in the original animated format as opposed to CGI however I do feel that the show would be welcomed if it was to make a comeback in some sort of way

Kindness is king.

The original VHS trailer for Doug's 1st Movie, it says that it was coming to theatres at the beginning so not sure how big a release it was but thought it was pretty cool

Kindness is king.