Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65

Thread: The Official 2022-2023 College Football thread

  1. #1
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,495

    The Official 2022-2023 College Football thread

    Not sure why this originally posted in polls. I'd appreciate it if a moderator could delete it from the 'polls' section. No doubt something I messed up on, so here it is where it belongs:



    Well, just about a month until the University of Nebraska Cornhuskers have their first kick-off, against Northwestern, in Dublin, Ireland for gosh sakes! We're all excited, especially my Irish angel. We have a new QB so we're hoping for a successful season and maybe even a bowl game as we're starting to forget what either of those felt like. But what a chance for our new QB to be a knight in shining armor!

    Anyway, speaking of kick-offs, it's time to start my annual Official College Football thread. I hope all you college football fans are getting revved up. For sure it will be an exciting season.

    GOOOOOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIG REEEEEEEED...GO BIG RED!

  2. #2
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    13,009
    I just hope they get to 6 wins and a bowl this year. I am keeping my expectations low. The key is to start the season out strong, so they get rolling and expect to win. They can't keep stubbing their toes on teams they should beat. Nebraska has a lot of new pieces this year. Hopefully, they can gel. Another bad season by Frost and I think he is out.

  3. #3
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,495
    Agreed, Firefly.

    In years gone by, the Huskers would have three or four relatively weak teams they'd play early on so as to start off 'hot', even breaking into the Top 25. The problem lately is that the Huskers have been weak themselves, so they end up stumbling against weaker teams and then come to the big guys.

    I really hope shaking up the line-up and adding some new blood works. I was a huge fan of Scott Frost when he was a QB, and he was a great one. Sadly, Central Florida notwithstanding, that doesn't always translate to coaching. The reality is that coaching in the Big 10 is very different from coaching in the American Athletic Conference.

    That said, I think one of the biggest mistakes Nebraska made in the modern era was to not grab Turner Gill as head coach when they had the chance. How they ended up with fan-loathing, temper-tantrum-throwing Bozo Pelini is still a mystery to me. Almost as bad as Callahan was. Imo, those two 'coaches' set back the Nebraska football program -- which used to be a powerhouse and a perennial top 10 team -- by fifteen to twenty years. Unless our new QB emerges as a young Arthur Pendragon pulling Sword Excalibur from the stone, I think it's going to take a loooooong time to rebuild. How do you recruit when you've got a losing record and haven't been to a bowl in so long?

    Hey, is Turner Gill available? Hmmmmmm...

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I just hope they get to 6 wins and a bowl this year. I am keeping my expectations low. The key is to start the season out strong, so they get rolling and expect to win. They can't keep stubbing their toes on teams they should beat. Nebraska has a lot of new pieces this year. Hopefully, they can gel. Another bad season by Forst and I think he is out.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 21, 2022 at 01:41pm.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior UsernameMDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    408
    Geaux tigahs!!!

  5. #5
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,495
    Nice that you're a fan, but with all due respect, Clemson doesn't need a cheerleading section. They ROCK!

    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    Geaux tigahs!!!

  6. #6
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    13,009
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Agreed, Firefly.

    In years gone by, the Huskers would have three or four relatively weak teams they'd play early on so as to start off 'hot', even breaking into the Top 25. The problem lately is that the Huskers have been weak themselves, so they end up stumbling against weaker teams and then come to the big guys.

    I really hope shaking up the line-up and adding some new blood works. I was a huge fan of Scott Frost when he was a QB, and he was a great one. Sadly, Central Florida notwithstanding, that doesn't always translate to coaching. The reality is that coaching in the Big 10 is very different from coaching in the American Athletic Conference.

    That said, I think one of the biggest mistakes Nebraska made in the modern era was to not grab Turner Gill as head coach when they had the chance. How they ended up with fan-loathing, temper-tantrum-throwing Bozo Pelini is still a mystery to me. Almost as bad as Callahan was. Imo, those two 'coaches' set back the Nebraska football program -- which used to be a powerhouse and a perennial top 10 team -- by fifteen to twenty years. Unless our new QB emerges as a young Arthur Pendragon pulling Sword Excalibur from the stone, I think it's going to take a loooooong time to rebuild. How do you recruit when you've got a losing record and haven't been to a bowl in so long?

    Hey, is Turner Gill available? Hmmmmmm...
    Frost's main problem was he thought the Big 10 should adjust to him rather than the other way around. I'm still not sure he has properly adjusted to their style of play. He should have taken play calling duties away from himself after year 2 and not stuck with Martinez as QB so long. Hopefully, it is not too little, too late.

    Bo Pelini is still the most successful Nebraska coach of the modern era. He had 9 to 10 wins every season and was in 3 conference championship games. I have my doubts that Gil would have been as successful.

  7. #7
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,495
    Your point about Pelini is well made, but he was extremely disrespectful towards the fans and obnoxious toward the players. That's not how it's done in Nebraska. The writer who wrote the script for Varsity Blue must have been talking notes in the seats at Memorial Stadium.

    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Frost's main problem was he thought the Big 10 should adjust to him rather than the other way around. I'm still not sure he has properly adjusted to their style of play. He should have taken play calling duties away from himself after year 2 and not stuck with Martinez as QB so long. Hopefully, it is not too little, too late.

    Bo Pelini is still the most successful Nebraska coach of the modern era. He had 9 to 10 wins every season and was in 3 conference championship games. I have my doubts that Gil would have been as successful.
    - - - Updated - - -

    What a surprise!

    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-title

    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    Geaux tigahs!!!

  8. #8
    Evil Coonass nickdoobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    781
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post

    - - - Updated - - -

    What a surprise!

    https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-title
    Try again. This man has clearly has better taste in Tigers than Clemson.
    Hit me up on instagram @NickDoobsCreations

  9. #9
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,495
    I think Clemson's a shoe-in for ACC champs.

    Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    Try again. This man has clearly has better taste in Tigers than Clemson.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior UsernameMDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Nice that you're a fan, but with all due respect, Clemson doesn't need a cheerleading section. They ROCK!




    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    Try again. This man has clearly has better taste in Tigers than Clemson.
    LET'S GEAUXXX!

  11. #11
    Widget bryanslaw1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    5

    Sec football

    College football is approaching!

    Where are my SEC Football fans at!

  12. #12
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,383
    My man makes a He-Man.org account, makes one post about He-Man, and the second post has to be about SEC football.

    I don't know that there are a lot of us SEC guys around. Being a Bama fan, I don't think folks around here have wanted to hear much from me for the last 15 years.

    Now if you want to step outside the SEC and bemoan the perennial failings of the Nebraska Cornhuskers, then BOY DO I HAVE THE THREAD FOR YOU!

  13. #13
    Widget bryanslaw1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    5
    Imagine He-Man being a college football fan. Who would he cheer for? Lol

  14. #14
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,495
    LOL.

    But Nebraska fans are true blue fans. As the Nebraska fight song says:

    We'll all stick together in all kinds of weather
    For dear old Nebraska U.


    We've had great weather in the not-so-distant 90s, when we didn't have "perennial failings", with three National Championships. And we've had horrible weather for a long, long time since then. But Memorial Stadium is still filled to capacity for every game -- 382 consecutive games at last count. It will continue to be so because loyalty to a team, "in all kinds of weather", is what college football is about. And don't count us out yet...

    GO BIG RED!!!


    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    My man makes a He-Man.org account, makes one post about He-Man, and the second post has to be about SEC football.

    I don't know that there are a lot of us SEC guys around. Being a Bama fan, I don't think folks around here have wanted to hear much from me for the last 15 years.

    Now if you want to step outside the SEC and bemoan the perennial failings of the Nebraska Cornhuskers, then BOY DO I HAVE THE THREAD FOR YOU!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 26, 2022 at 07:50pm.

  15. #15
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,495
    My bad. I didn't know which Tigers you were referring to. Thanks for the head's up.

    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post


    https://www.si.com/.image/ar_4:3%2Cc...su-cfb-noa.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -



    LET'S GEAUXXX!

  16. #16
    Widget bryanslaw1975's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by usernamemdm View Post


    https://www.si.com/.image/ar_4:3%2cc...su-cfb-noa.jpg

    - - - updated - - -



    let's geauxxx!
    sec! Sec! Sec! Sec! Sec! Sec! Sec! Sec!

  17. #17
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    LOL.

    But Nebraska fans are true blue fans. As the Nebraska fight song says:

    We'll all stick together in all kinds of weather
    For dear old Nebraska U.


    We've had great weather in the not-so-distant 90s, when we didn't have "perennial failings", with three National Championships. And we've had horrible weather for a long, long time since then. But Memorial Stadium is still filled to capacity for every game -- 382 consecutive games at last count. It will continue to be so because loyalty to a team, "in all kinds of weather", is what college football is about. And don't count us out yet...

    GO BIG RED!!!
    Oh, is that what that means? I thought it was just a tornado alley thing.

    Are you an ancient vampire? But hey, I get it. Sometimes you just need a rebuilding quarter-century. Maybe two.

    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    LET'S GEAUXXX!
    Clearly Jack doesn't speak faux French, guys. That's okay; we love him anyway.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior UsernameMDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanslaw1975 View Post
    sec! Sec! Sec! Sec! Sec! Sec! Sec! Sec!
    The one and only!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Clearly Jack doesn't speak faux French, guys. That's okay; we love him anyway.
    Laissez les bons temps rouler! AYEEEEE!

  19. #19
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,495
    Awwwwww.. You touch my heart.

    Actually I'm fluent in French, having lived and worked there with French broadcasters, writers and producers for many years. I just didn't get which 'tigers' he was referencing.

    Yes, I am ancient. Seventy-three. After my minor heart attack and my mini-stroke, I think any day above ground is a good day. I'm happy to be surrounded by supportive and kind orgers, which is one of the great joys of my life. J'aime chacun d'entre vous

    You're probably right about the quarter-century estimate for Nebraska to rebuild. I've made huge lifestyle changes, pursue a grueling daily workout regimen and eat healthy in the hope that I'll be around long enough to see Nebraska become a powerhouse once more. If I'm not, well, I hope I'll have 'heavenly' seats for the games. Maybe working in children's entertainment for over forty years and having the Care Bears in my credits, scores a few points with The Big Guy upstairs...


    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Oh, is that what that means? I thought it was just a tornado alley thing.

    Are you an ancient vampire? But hey, I get it. Sometimes you just need a rebuilding quarter-century. Maybe two.



    Clearly Jack doesn't speak faux French, guys. That's okay; we love him anyway.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 27, 2022 at 12:11pm.

  20. #20
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Actually I'm fluent in French...
    LSU French is a special dialect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    You're probably right about the quarter-century estimate for Nebraska to rebuild. I've made huge lifestyle changes, pursue a grueling daily workout regimen and eat healthy in the hope that I'll be around long enough to see Nebraska become a powerhouse once more. If I'm not, well, I hope I'll have 'heavenly' seats for the games. Maybe working in children's entertainment for over forty years and having the Care Bears in my credits, scores a few points with The Big Guy upstairs...
    Well, I wish you a very, very, very long life, Jack.

    Did you come up with the Care Bear Stare? That should get you to the playoffs at least.

  21. #21
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,495
    While I did not come up with the Care Bear Stare, I did serve as Story Editor for the Care Bears series for DIC Entertainment, my very first staff job in the entertainment industry.

    https://jackolesker.com



    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    LSU French is a special dialect.



    Well, I wish you a very, very, very long life, Jack.

    Did you come up with the Care Bear Stare? That should get you to the playoffs at least.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior UsernameMDM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    408
    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    LSU French is a special dialect.
    I miss Coach O...


  23. #23
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,383
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    While I did not come up with the Care Bear Stare, I did serve as Story Editor for the Care Bears series for DIC Entertainment, my very first staff job in the entertainment industry.

    https://jackolesker.com
    Hey, that's okay. Not everyone can be a true visionary. Geniuses need folks to edit their stories too.

    I'm just giving you a hard time. Everyone knows how you showbiz midwestern elites are when you aren't kept humble.

    And of course, to stay on topic: Roll Tide.

  24. #24
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    12,495
    Plenty of writers I worked with were very talented. But just about everything can be improved upon -- including my own work (gasp!) -- and scripts often need story editors to bring the dialogue into 'house style'. That said, I much prefer writing scripts, which is what I've done for most of my career. What was really tricky was after IU got going I ended up writing my own scripts and story editing them for DIC and Jetlag.

    And don't sweat it. No one gives me "a hard time". After having written, produced and directed over 1,200 episodes of television, seventeen films and published seven novels -- two of which were best sellers -- I don't rattle. If you interpret that as bragging, well, Crimson Tide legendary coach Bear Bryant once said, "It ain't braggin' if it's true." In my case, it's true...in spades. (I'm easy to Google.) I'm the real deal, so back off, kid, before I hit the Ignore button and your five minutes with me are done for good. (Just joking. Now I'm the one trying to give you a hard time. )

    And, btw, no one keeps me "humble". Humility is a vastly overrated virtue. As for being "Midwestern", I did fifteen years in L.A. and served as president of a motion picture and television studio in Chennai, India. I worked in the Bahamas and Boca Raton for half a decade before moving back to my Midwestern roots. But I still hop on a plane once a month to visit execs in L.A., New York and Virginia. With episodes of shows I've written, produced and directed airing around the world, I prefer to think of myself as a global citizen.

    (Lighten up, Francis. Most of this is in jest. Hey, ya open a can of worms ya gotta expect worms to crawl out... )

    And yeah, okay, the Nebraska Cornhuskers keep me 'humble'...very humble. Dang!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    Hey, that's okay. Not everyone can be a true visionary. Geniuses need folks to edit their stories too.

    I'm just giving you a hard time. Everyone knows how you showbiz midwestern elites are when you aren't kept humble.

    And of course, to stay on topic: Roll Tide.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; July 27, 2022 at 04:49pm.

  25. #25
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    13,009
    Frost is frustrating. Nebraska had a 11 point lead on Northwestern in the 3rd and Frost decides to onside kick it. It fails, NW scores, and Nebraska plays horribly afterwards. Nebraska also called two TOs before the end of the 1st half to try to get the ball back, but it allows NW to score on that drive as well. I still don't like that fumble that wasn't a fumble in the 1st half, but Frost cost them 14 points. If he doesn't get at least 6 wins, I hope he is canned. QB Thompson did look better than Martinez, particularly in the first half.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •