Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Has anyone documented G code changes on MOC Beyond Wave 1?

  1. #1
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10

    Has anyone documented G code changes on MOC Beyond Wave 1?

    Hey there, so I can tell Wave 1 has been thoroughly discussed with G0 = Test Market, G1 = No warranty w/ Sku and G2 = Warranty and Sku. What I haven't seen a lot of is the squential G codes for later waves and how they were made?

    It seems like country of production was Taiwan in Wave 1, then Malaysia came along in Wave 2 and Hong Kong caught the end with Evil-Lyn. These seem to follow G codes sequentially from Wave 1, going into G2 / G3 / G4. Then it seems like Made in Mexico started sometime in 83 / 84 but looks like they went back to a G0. So with that theory I'm assuming it's possible a G3 Malaysia was earlier G1 Mexico, meaning you need to factor in the country code in addition to the G code.

    Has anyone looked into this or do a more concrete analysis? Appreciate any help!

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    4,669
    I made an attempt at this a while back. For example:

    Beast Man 8 back no warranty no subs G0 Taiwan
    Beast Man 8 back no warranty subs Taiwan G1 Taiwan
    Beast Man 8 back warranty Taiwan G2 Taiwan
    Beast Man 1984 Malaysia G7 Malaysia
    Beast Man 1984 G6 Malaysia
    Beast Man 1984 G6 Malaysia

    Evil-Lyn G1 Taiwan 1983
    Evil-Lyn G1 Hong Kong 1982
    Evil-Lyn G3 China 1984
    Evil-Lyn G3 Hong Kong 1983-1984
    Evil-Lyn G4 Hong Kong 1984
    Evil-Lyn G4 China 1984

    I mostly have archived photos from auctions, I didn't fully document them all.

  3. #3
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Very interesting, had no idea there was a G1 Evil Lyn for example. Did you have any photos of them you could share?

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    4,669
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Very interesting, had no idea there was a G1 Evil Lyn for example. Did you have any photos of them you could share?
    Here's G1 Evil-Lyn. Let me know if there's something specific you want. If I have it I'm happy to share

    https://imgur.com/a/1o0TgBK

  5. #5
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Here's G1 Evil-Lyn. Let me know if there's something specific you want. If I have it I'm happy to share
    https://imgur.com/a/1o0TgBK
    Aha, thanks! That's slightly different from what you mentioned above, It's G1 Taiwan 1982 (not 83), and that would be consistent with Taiwan = 1st print and Hong Kong coming later. I don't think Hong Kong because 1st print for any characters until Wave 3?

    You have a Trap Jaw G1 by any chance? Is there anything earlier than Malaysia G2 w/ Ring for him?

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Universe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    You have a Trap Jaw G1 by any chance? Is there anything earlier than Malaysia G2 w/ Ring for him?
    Unlikely. By the time they had opened up manufacturing plants in Malaysia they were almost certainly on the G2 version of those cards.

    There might exist a G0 Trap Jaw. I've seen G1 Trap Jaw with a second version of the Trap Jaw mini, so I would speculate that there might be an earlier version, likely a G0 with a G1 mini and no "New" on the front.

  7. #7
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Unlikely. By the time they had opened up manufacturing plants in Malaysia they were almost certainly on the G2 version of those cards.

    There might exist a G0 Trap Jaw. I've seen G1 Trap Jaw with a second version of the Trap Jaw mini, so I would speculate that there might be an earlier version, likely a G0 with a G1 mini and no "New" on the front.
    Have you seen a "NEW" Trap Jaw, did every character come with one? I hadn't seen one yet, just knew the ring came earlier than non ring. I think I've seen G1 Mexico stuff in Wave 2 but I suspect that is a later print than G2 Malaysia. It seems the asian prints are the way to go and then the mexico ones were later or lower quality.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior Universe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Have you seen a "NEW" Trap Jaw, did every character come with one? I hadn't seen one yet, just knew the ring came earlier than non ring. I think I've seen G1 Mexico stuff in Wave 2 but I suspect that is a later print than G2 Malaysia. It seems the asian prints are the way to go and then the mexico ones were later or lower quality.
    Not every 2nd wave on figure had a "New" version of their cardback, but most did. Evil-Lyn never did - they really didn't market her at all, sadly.

    Here's a Trap Jaw with New. (edit: nevermind, apparently I've exceeded my image quota. Anyway, they're out there.)

    Mexico figures were manufactured prior to or concurrent with Malaysia figures.

  9. #9
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Not every 2nd wave on figure had a "New" version of their cardback, but most did. Evil-Lyn never did - they really didn't market her at all, sadly.

    Here's a Trap Jaw with New. (edit: nevermind, apparently I've exceeded my image quota. Anyway, they're out there.)

    Mexico figures were manufactured prior to or concurrent with Malaysia figures.
    Is it possible to email a picture of front and back or post it on a free image site? Sorry but I'm new and trying to catalog this stuff so seeing the actual picture helps me a lot!

    Also seems like Evil Lyn was released toward the end of Wave 2?

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    4,669
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Aha, thanks! That's slightly different from what you mentioned above, It's G1 Taiwan 1982 (not 83), and that would be consistent with Taiwan = 1st print and Hong Kong coming later. I don't think Hong Kong because 1st print for any characters until Wave 3?

    You have a Trap Jaw G1 by any chance? Is there anything earlier than Malaysia G2 w/ Ring for him?
    This is a made in Mexico G1 Trap Jaw:

    https://imgur.com/a/y0HoWDb

  11. #11
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    This is a made in Mexico G1 Trap Jaw:

    https://imgur.com/a/y0HoWDb
    Interesting, does this definitively mean G1 Mexico is before G2 Malaysia? The New on the front seems a little off compared to later New logos too? It seems to me the main draw is to get one with ring and then earlier G code. Not sure if anything can be proved by looking at which comic was bundled?

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    4,669
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Interesting, does this definitively mean G1 Mexico is before G2 Malaysia? The New on the front seems a little off compared to later New logos too? It seems to me the main draw is to get one with ring and then earlier G code. Not sure if anything can be proved by looking at which comic was bundled?
    I don't have a large sample size, but I do have an image of a G2 Malaysia, and that has a wave 3 comic. The G1 Mexico has a wave 2 comic, so I assume that one came first.

  13. #13
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jul 2022
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I don't have a large sample size, but I do have an image of a G2 Malaysia, and that has a wave 3 comic. The G1 Mexico has a wave 2 comic, so I assume that one came first.
    Hey first by the way, great blog site. I've been reading a lot there.

    Secondly, do you have any resources that specify which comics came in which wave? All I know it that the test market 8 backs have the "FREE" comic offer but other than that I'm clueless on them.

  14. #14
    He-Man historian
    Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Hämeenlinna, Finland
    Posts
    14,662
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Hey first by the way, great blog site. I've been reading a lot there.

    Secondly, do you have any resources that specify which comics came in which wave?
    I think in the Dark Horse MOTU TOY GUIDE (link) they have listed minicomics and what figures they were packaged with.

    Also there is an unofficial VINTAGE MOTU TOY REFERENCE GUIDE (link) that has info on minicomics with figures.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

    · ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    4,669
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    Hey first by the way, great blog site. I've been reading a lot there.

    Secondly, do you have any resources that specify which comics came in which wave? All I know it that the test market 8 backs have the "FREE" comic offer but other than that I'm clueless on them.
    Thanks! I would echo Jukka's suggestions on resources

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Springor Spanior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by jonebone View Post
    I think I've seen G1 Mexico stuff in Wave 2 but I suspect that is a later print than G2 Malaysia. It seems the asian prints are the way to go and then the mexico ones were later or lower quality.
    No, that is not correct. The "New" label is not a reliable indicator of which card print came first. Mattel did not start using the "New" label until part way into the production of Wave 2. As Universe points out, Evil-Lyn didn't have the label. Nor did the very first issue of Ram Man, which is a 0910, with no G (aka G0). Likewise, very early MEF didn't have it, either. Those cards are notable for the unusual horizontal triple picture on the backside illustrating his faces (as opposed to the conventional vertical orientation). Those are early 0810 cards.

    Some Trap Jaw G1 cards have the New label and others do not. I believe it likely that the earliest ones have no New label.

    It might help to know that the convention of adding a G, such as G1, G2, etc. has nothing to do with changes to the figure, but rather changes made to the card itself. If you start with the earliest test market cards, you can see they went to G1 when they added SKU numbers next to each figure, and then went to G2 when they added the warranty on the back of the card. When a new wave comes out, they start over again with 0910 (or 0810 in the case of MEF and TJ), and then add G sequence as the card is changed. Sometimes, figures come in part way during the wave, thus may start at G1 (like Trap Jaw, I believe). Mekaneck is a great example because I haven't found one lower than G2. By 1984 all "New" issues had 0410 and then switched to 0910 when the New was dropped.
    I'm losing my edge, but I was there. LCD Soundsystem

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Universe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by Springor Spanior View Post
    It might help to know that the convention of adding a G, such as G1, G2, etc. has nothing to do with changes to the figure, but rather changes made to the card itself.
    Specifically, it had to do with the layout of the back of the card. When they rearranged the figures or proof of purchase or the barcode, that's when a newer version of the card was noted.

    Mekaneck is a great example because I haven't found one lower than G2.
    Interesting, I'd never noticed this. Have you checked Prince Adam? Like Mekaneck, he also came with the Trap Jaw mini on his first release, which makes me speculate he might have been around the same time period.

    I've often wandered what the "G" stands for (and why they chose "G" instead of, say, "V" for version, or "R" for revision.)

    My best idea is that G is for "Grayskull." The earliest version of the Grayskull instructions I've ever seen is G2, and those instructions were packaged with 8-back Castle Grayskulls before any of the figure cardbacks were revised. So the whole "G" version system was implemented ad hoc from the very first revision they had to make: Castle Grayskull!

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior Springor Spanior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    My best idea is that G is for "Grayskull." The earliest version of the Grayskull instructions I've ever seen is G2, and those instructions were packaged with 8-back Castle Grayskulls before any of the figure cardbacks were revised. So the whole "G" version system was implemented ad hoc from the very first revision they had to make: Castle Grayskull!
    I'm not sure. I think Mattel used the G convention with all sorts of printings - cardbacks, comics, instruction manuals. I think you can find this same G convention used with other Mattel toylines and video games from the same era as well. For example, for a while I collected Hot Wheels cars, and you can see they also have G convention on both instructions and cardbacks. I think perhaps it stands for "generation", but I am unsure.
    I'm losing my edge, but I was there. LCD Soundsystem

  19. #19
    He-Man historian
    Jukka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Hämeenlinna, Finland
    Posts
    14,662
    Quote Originally Posted by Springor Spanior View Post
    I'm not sure. I think Mattel used the G convention with all sorts of printings - cardbacks, comics, instruction manuals. I think you can find this same G convention used with other Mattel toylines and video games from the same era as well. For example, for a while I collected Hot Wheels cars, and you can see they also have G convention on both instructions and cardbacks. I think perhaps it stands for "generation", but I am unsure.
    Most likely it is something like G for Generation.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

    · ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

  20. #20
    Widget
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    8
    Is there a complete listing of Trap Jaw cards? I'm curious if he had a G0. This is a good thread as I've never read about the "G" card variations before.

    So far I've seen:

    • G1 Mexican, with "New", "Menace of Trap Jaw" comic, with ring
    • G2 Malaysian, no "New", "The Obelisk" comic, with ring
    • G3 Malaysian, no "New", "The Obelisk" comic, no ring


    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    There might exist a G0 Trap Jaw. I've seen G1 Trap Jaw with a second version of the Trap Jaw mini, so I would speculate that there might be an earlier version, likely a G0 with a G1 mini and no "New" on the front.
    Could you please describe the the differences between the Trap Jaw minis? I didn't know there were variations on it.

    Thanks!

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Universe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    596
    Quote Originally Posted by mattph76 View Post
    Could you please describe the the differences between the Trap Jaw minis? I didn't know there were variations on it.

    Thanks!
    The Trap Jaw minis are labeled G1, G2, or G3 on the front cover. That likely indicates they made some edits to the minicomics themselves, although I haven't dug through them to figure out what those edits might be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •