Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Powers: Vintage Kenner and Modern McFarlane Toys

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    The only interest I have in this line is appropriate era looking figures that fit that classic vibe that havenít been made already. So far the vehicles and John Stewart are the only things I want that fit in. Iíd love to see Batgirl, Catwoman maybe Bizarro!
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

Bang Your Head
    I know we have fans of Super Powers, because back when DCUC was a thing, the Super Powers fans wanted nothing but Super Powers figures and color designs.

This line is not for me, especially after seeing the unnecessary hole that gets punched through the capes.

Quote Originally Posted by FAN-DOR View Post
    Haven't posted in a while but I just got this from Walmart and had to share. If you buy online expect to get crap quality of packing and shipping I guess.

Attachment 129135

Attachment 129136
    I've only ordered a few toys from Walmart and thankfully they never came damaged, my friend on the other hand, his last order he received from them, he claims will be the last time he orders through Walmart...

I don't think it's been discussed in this thread yet, but the Flash and the Batman Who Laughs have started showing up as the rest of Wave 2 (along with John Stewart).

I'm seeing that rumored Reverse Flash is basically confirmed since the leaked pictures show he shares the same base body as the Flash.

Also, a word of caution to anyone collecting this line: the canopy of the Batwing can snap right off if you open it. It's apparently a pretty rampant issue.

I'm still on the fence about this line. I like the look of the vehicles, but the first three figures were a miss for me. Stewart and the Flash look pretty good. I think MacFarlane is missing his mark by not targeting people who collected the original line. If this line contained classic versions of characters both included and never included in the vintage SP collection, people would buy, especially if the figures fit aesthetically with the original line. I know that's what I'd like to see. I don't think ANYONE was clamoring for the inclusions of the Batman Who Laughs in this line, or that atrocious-looking (if true) modern Wonder Woman.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

I miss old fun and colorful superhero designs. New ones feel generic and more suited for hyperdetailed multi-accessorized, highly articulated figures than for this kind of toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I don't think it's been discussed in this thread yet, but the Flash and the Batman Who Laughs have started showing up as the rest of Wave 2 (along with John Stewart).
    Batman Who Laughs kind of feels like he's from a different line. But I guess they're going for a lot more diversity in bodies than the originals.

Bang Your Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I think MacFarlane is missing his mark by not targeting people who collected the original line. If this line contained classic versions of characters both included and never included in the vintage SP collection, people would buy, especially if the figures fit aesthetically with the original line. I know that's what I'd like to see. I don't think ANYONE was clamoring for the inclusions of the Batman Who Laughs in this line, or that atrocious-looking (if true) modern Wonder Woman.
    No one is missing the mark. If McFarlane or any other toy company was targeting people who collected the original line, the outcome would be smaller. It's 40 year old toy line aimed at kids who have now all grown up. We're a small group people who still buy toys, but for the most part, other adults our age aren't buying these for themselves, and if they buy them at all, it's for their kids and they aren't putting any thought into a Batman figure as some of us are.

As for the classic designs of the characters, when the original SP line came out, comic characters hadn't changed their looks much or as drastically as they have in the last 30 years. Now that this is a return to SP, we have more characters and designs to pull from. And we're only into the first assortment of figures. We've got 1 Batman so far, who's to say more aren't coming in other variations. And if this line sticks around, it could be compared to the Vintage Collection Hasbro puts out with Star Wars.

Super Powers was basically an introduction to DC Comics 40 years ago back when model sheets and style guides were used for licensing and products. Now that looks of characters change constantly whenever there is a new creative team on a book, there is a lot more to choose from.

I say, bring on electric Blue Superman, Kyle Rayner, 90's hook-hand Aquaman, blue pants Wonder Woman, and comic accurate Parademon and Mantis...

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Batman Who Laughs kind of feels like he's from a different line. But I guess they're going for a lot more diversity in bodies than the originals.
    Yeah, I think you're right.

The Batman chest looks like it's modeled after the way Jim Lee draws the character...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Why didn't they go for the classic look for Wonder Woman? Huge missed opportunity. I was so excited for her figure.

Quote Originally Posted by eurorko View Post
    Why didn't they go for the classic look for Wonder Woman? Huge missed opportunity. I was so excited for her figure.
    Women having curves is "offensive" now.

Not a rule I agree with, personally, but them's the breaks.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

My Walmart put out a shipper of these last weekend. Overall the figures looked bad. The sculpt and paint ops were just garbage IMO. Are these supposed to look "bad" on purpose cause they're "retro"? The original figures from almost 40 years ago are leaps and bounds better and they don't have the advantage of 30 plus years of toy design evolution.

I did like the vehicles. The Batplane really caught my eye. They looked like they belonged in the vintage line. In the end I passed on it for the time being. I wanted to see a few more reviews of them before picking them up.

I'll eventually pick these up anyway, even though they're not great. I'm just a big mark for this kinda stuff.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA