Thread: Testshots and Prototypes Gallery

Testshots and Prototypes Gallery

As someone who loves (and collects) prototypes and testshots, I thought it might be nice to have a thread just dedicated to the pictures (and perhaps a little bit of commentary) on these amazing pieces of production history.

I know there's a mighty existing testshot thread - but not only are many of the pictures in that thread gone now, but most of that thread is predominantly about discussing the figure itself not the testshot (as at the time, testshots were quite often our first look at unreleased figure) - not about appreciating the deliciously garish multi-colour and pre-production plastic that brings us the figures we love, and (to my eye) are pieces of art all to themselves.

My thought was to focus each post on a figure, mostly pictures, with a bit of colour commentary, history, trivia or thing that makes it special (even if it's just special to you).

So sit back, put on some sunglasses if your'e sensitive to flourescent colours, and let's celebrate these majestic specimens together!

Figure 1. The Most Powerful Resin in the Universe!

As much as I'd love to start this thread off with my personal favourite figure and testshot - there's only one place we can really start, and that my friends, is where this wonderful line began ... with a cheeky little resin paint master snuck into a display at SDCC. I was l lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, and picked this up for around the cost of a Ram Man.

1.jpg2.jpg4.jpg

The joints are just metal rods into holes in the resin which are pretty wobbly (this is the resin paint master that happens before it goes to whatever Rubin's job was called where they do the engineering on the articulation). His feet are glued to the base for stability. I'm pretty sure I could take the pelvis off the legs but given it's not really made to be played with, I'm tempted to leave well enough alone and treat that as an assembly.

If you look closely at the bottom of the sword, you can see the resin blade is just sitting on a metal rod, which is what He-man is holding at the bottom. It thankfully just slides in and out, so there's no stress on the hand.

For anyone interested, here's some of the original press from the 2007 SDCC: https://toynewsi.com/13-11674
    While he's a little older, you can see the paint wear and face details line up. I originally thought the black base was glued on later in life - but it turns out he was mounted on that from the start.

And He-man also knows how to travel in style ...
    6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (138.3 KB, 262 views)
    Last edited by ramdad; July 30, 2022 at 11:30pm.

Many of us have never seen prototypes of MOTUC figures, ramdad. Anyway, thanks for submitting that prototype He-Man figure photo.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Next up ... my favourite Classics figure ... it's Ram Man!

This is probably my favourite Master of the Universe thing I own - I love this figure, and I love that he's cast in this crazy pink. The only thing that could make it better would be for this to be the unhelmeted head (so if you have one in pink - please let me know!). I've heard it said in the past that the testshots are often cast in whatever plastic is left in the hopper ... but that's always made me wonder what else they're making with so much pink plastic. Which lends more strength to the other theory I've heard: which is that they use weird colours so nobody would want them. Ironically, this just makes me want them even more - I can't get enough of these crazy coloured figures - and I really feel the light colours let you appreciate the amazing Four Horsemen sculpts even more than the painted production versions.

3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

A few interesting things on this guy:
    • his axe shaft is actually molded into his fist. Not sure if this is just a pre-production mold, or whether the production casts work like this and then they drill out the hole for the axe
    • the left thigh is reversed exposing the joint
    • the armour isn't attached at the back, so it float around quite a bit (which actually helps getting him into the pose at the top I think)
    • he's got some super weird colour fading/changes on him. Not sure if he was left out in some crazy sun for a while, or if there's some other process which might have done this

The Four Horsemen really knocked this figure out of the park - character design, execution, engineering ... and this garish pink nightmare just couldn't be a more perfect way to celebrate him.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    Many of us have never seen prototypes of MOTUC figures, ramdad. Anyway, thanks for submitting that prototype He-Man figure photo.
    Exactly this! There was a huge clamp down midway through the line where they stripped the heads off the testshots - which is why you really don't see many good ones for the second half of MotUC, or the more recent lines. But back in the day, there were some beauties! So hopefully we can get some of these documented and shared where more can appreciate them.
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (97.5 KB, 224 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (73.7 KB, 222 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (127.3 KB, 228 views)
    Last edited by ramdad; July 31, 2022 at 01:54pm.

That resin He-Man is fantastic! What a catch!

Great stuff, would love to see more protos

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    Great stuff, would love to see more protos
    Ask and ye shall receive my friend! Today's figure is another one of my favourites, it's the Evil Master of Power Suction ... Leech!

This was I think the test shot that started it all for me. I can't remember how I ended up finding him on eBay one day, but Leech was already one of my favourite figures, and I quickly fell in love with the idea of a ridiculous pink one. This is pretty much peak test shot colour style for me - if I could get every figure in these colours, I'd be all in.

He-Man historian
    Thanks for (re)starting this topic!

Many had seen the 2007 photo at SDCC with 4HM early prototype He-Man. It was the talk of the town for months.

And you are very fortunate to have it in your possession. All the more reason thank you for sharing photos of it!
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Any idea what protos / test shots like these could be worth now? There are few from asian sellers starting from 50 bucks up to 500 bucks. Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by ramdad View Post
    Ask and ye shall receive my friend! Today's figure is another one of my favourites, it's the Evil Master of Power Suction ... Leech!

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...2&d=1659389666

This was I think the test shot that started it all for me. I can't remember how I ended up finding him on eBay one day, but Leech was already one of my favourite figures, and I quickly fell in love with the idea of a ridiculous pink one. This is pretty much peak test shot colour style for me - if I could get every figure in these colours, I'd be all in.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...3&d=1659389685
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...5&d=1659389974
    I can't believe it but I'm digging this pink Leech.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    Any idea what protos / test shots like these could be worth now? There are few from asian sellers starting from 50 bucks up to 500 bucks. Just curious.
    Like all collections, it's just supply and demand. These things have a pretty low demand, but an even lower supply - which makes it pretty unpredictable. Every now and then you'll see one listed at $2000+ ... but I'm guessing they don't sell for that unless they're really special or actual prototypes (not testshots).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I can't believe it but I'm digging this pink Leech.
    You're going to find it hard to go back to a normal Leech now that you know candy leech is a thing

I would seriously buy a line of these. Kind of like the "artist edition" comics where they release a special version of just the artist sketches - but it's the sculptor's edition and either shot in crazy colours like this, or perhaps just grey sculpt. I'd love that.

That He-Man resin prototype is really great! Also I agree, that's a really fun color for Leech.

It's time for the Evil Tail-Thrashing Warrior ... Whiplash!

This testshot unfortunately robs poor Torrant of his beloved tail. But seeing the wonderful Four Horseman head sculpt along with all the bumps and scale detail they've packed into this figure is still a bit of a treat.

Whiplash has clearly been skipping leg day - his ankles are jelly, and this one certainly needs a bit of balancing to stand up. My only other Classics Whiplash is unfortunately MOC - so no comparison shot for this one.

He-Man historian
    Found this image on facebook years back. Was this also yours ramdad?

1505358_664329393631270_1782623827_n.jpg
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Ok my friends - it's time for probably my favourite MOTU character (even if this testshot isn't the best) ... it's the Winged Warrior ... STRATOS!

I'm not sure why Stratos appeals to me so much as a character, but he's my go-to character. And the crazy Scottish accent in MYP just made me love him even more. This is another very early figure in the line, which made getting test-shots really hard. I have another one that's a bit more plain, but this one is the most colourful one I ever had a chance to buy.

It's a little hard to see in the pictures, but the pink is actually slightly translucent which is pretty cool in person, making him almost glow a bit in certain lights.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    Found this image on facebook years back. Was this also yours ramdad?
    I do remember seeing him float by - but I skipped him given he didn't have the right head, and got this guy instead ...

Both of these are (I'm pretty sure) just unpainted figures shot in the production plastic colours. I personally love getting the crazy rainbow ones when I can - but for a few figures (like Fisto here) I really only ever saw the unpainted versions like this.

I do still love how much detail you can see this way - check out that amazing head sculpt!!!