Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Masterverse Two-Bad Revealed on MOTUesdays!

It turns out that both mace weapons and the insignia on the belt are straight from his concept art.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Okay, Mattel, you got me. I am usually Origins only but wow I love me some Two Bad.

This will be the first Masterverse figure I buy!
    They have definitely stepped up their game. I only have two masterverse figs, I'm considering getting them all just to have a complete collection.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    I dont know. Upper body looks pretty good. Legs and feet still clumsy.

Hereīs the Classics figure with proper proportions (and symmetry).

[url]https://www.he-man.org/assets/images/collect_toy/twobad10_full.png[url]
    I donít want symmetry for a character like this. I do prefer it in most cases, but not for this one.
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    I'd personally say that already happened with figures like Tri-Klops and Stinkor (in my humble opinion).
    Stinkor is close! His armor came out a little cheesy. Trike, I appreciate the extra embellishments on his armor (the little horns) but Iím not into his head.

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse

Whoa! one of the best looking Masterverse ever released!
    I'm happy for a new generation of fans getting the chance to grab this character but I'll keep my classic edition
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

The only thing I don't care for much and will take some getting used to is the musculature on Tuvar (though it does give me Hellraiser Uncle Frank vibes... is he skinned, perhaps? ). But otherwise, I totally didn't see this one coming at all and I like what I see! Colors are great, weapons are amazing, the new touches are mostly a win. Classics was a good representation of the classic toy in 6" scale. THIS figure is an improvement on both!
    Looking for any loose Classics figures? Let me know via PM what you might be looking for and I'll look through some boxes and see if we can help each other out!

Color me impressed. He ( they? ) look great!
    Last edited by DC_WARLORD; August 2, 2022 at 08:36pm.
    Odd Man Out

OMG! He's great!!

Two beings magically fused together shouldn't have "proper proportions (and symmetry)."

Two-Bad looks great...

But, I agree with others here, that texture(?) on Tuvar is quite off-putting.

It reminds me of those "invisible body" model kits from when I was younger.

However, that battle axe is badazz and I love the belt with holster!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    OMG! He's great!!

Two beings magically fused together shouldn't have "proper proportions (and symmetry)."
    I do have a problem with the legs on Masterverse. But decide for yourself.

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...bad10_full.png
    I still give the Classics version a slight edge overall. Just add all the badass new weapons of the MV version to the Classics for the ultimate Two Bad!

First post updated with some of the packaging artwork that Nate Baertsch and Roy Juarez worked on.

I do have a problem with the legs on Masterverse. But decide for yourself.

[url]https://i.postimg.cc/d3mCFg5x/legs-Kopie.jpg[url]
    I think itís a case of art direction overcoming the bad design.

I donít think that too many people are going to argue with you on that. The shape of the arms and legs and the marionette joints are a disaster. But itís yelling into the void about this; itís the design language of Masterverse.

But the general concept here I think is great. They look like two distinct entities smashed together. Makes for an interesting character.

Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    First post updated with some of the packaging artwork that Nate Baertsch and Roy Juarez worked on.

https://scontent.fapa1-1.fna.fbcdn.n...zg&oe=62EF5CB8
    Add another instant classic to the many existing art masterpieces in MOTU history.

Two Bad almost looking regal there.

https://www.he-man.org/assets/images...bad10_full.png
    I think the legs look fine. Not as good as Classics, obviously. The worst part of Masterverse are the elbow joints, where far too much is compromised for the sake of that double joint and its range of motion. Double jointed elbows don't work for heavily muscled figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    I think the legs look fine. The worst part of Masterverse are the elbow joints, where far too much is compromised for the sake of that double joint and its range of motion.
    Agreed. I love double jointed elbows but the Masterverse elbows are ugly.

Heroic Warrior
    Why does it seem like fans of Classics go out of they way to dump on masterverse . Multiple times in different threads. Itís ok not to like something but to repeat it over and over again

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by SVantley View Post
    Why does it seem like fans of Classics go out of they way to dump on masterverse . Multiple times in different threads. It’s ok not to like something but to repeat it over and over again
    I don't know if it is just personalities or entry points into collecting, but people are easily committed to what they like. And if people have what they like, then great. That is what the joy of collecting should be at the end of most days.
    As a 1st grader in the fall of 1981 and a 9th grader in the fall of 1989, my core 1980s toy lines were in the following sequence: Mego actions figures/dolls (late 1970s/Early 1980s), Masters of the Universe, G.I. Joe 3.75 figs., M.A.S.K., Muscles, and Micro Machines. All of which I lost in a home fire in 1995.
    During the 1990s I abandoned action figures and went hard into playing a collecting boardgames (toys that had a gaming purpose), Axis & Allies, HeroQuest, etc. I was too cool for the NA He-Man, and by the 200x line, they were cool, but still not MY HE-MAN...too anime in style for the toys.
    Then around 2012-ish, I trickled back into action figures through Kre-O GI Joes and Transformers...then vintage MOTU again, then MOTUC, then 25th GI Joe, then back to vintage GI Joes...and now it is just stupid how much I collect....

Anyway, my whole point for that is, we each have our history and memories and how certain new, or more modern-updated toys best fit our nostalgia eye/mold. I love the Mike Young Cartoon series more than the Filmation series, but I am not a fan on those toys. MOTU Classics is a real life toy version of the original card back images I saw as a kid...so it is a dream come true for 5-6 year old kid memories. I love GI Joe Classified that look more like my 1980s 3.75 GI Joe action figures. Articulation and enhanced designs don't impress me personally. Yet, as for Masterverse and Origins. I am all in on both. Some I don't like as much is Masterverse form, but I still appreciate them and their semi-capability with my other MOTU stuff.

So, I think it is all good stuff, but we as people just really know when something fits OUR OWN early impressions of what is ideal for the toys that we loved.
    Above all, I feel lucky to be in the collecting hobby during such a great volume of MOTU items being on the store shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by SVantley View Post
    Why does it seem like fans of Classics go out of they way to dump on masterverse . Multiple times in different threads. Itís ok not to like something but to repeat it over and over again
    Iím guilty of it. Maybe itís out of some misguided hope that Bob Mattel would come on this forum and go ďOh my word! These people who spent thousands of dollars on Classics over the course of a decade would spend more money on our new line if it looked more like the old one!Ē No, thatís not going to happen, not a remote chance.

Itís just kinda hard seeing something you love executed in such a way that you donít want to have it. It feels like thereís a big MOTU party out there and many of us have been disinvited.

Mattel has blamed the brand itself rather than their own decisions for failure in the past. Nobody wants that to happen; we want MOTU to be a success and endure like Transformers and GI Joe and superheroes and wrestlers have in the toy aisle, so I kinda feel forced into supporting it. I know itís dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I’m guilty of it. Maybe it’s out of some misguided hope that Bob Mattel would come on this forum and go “Oh my word! These people who spent thousands of dollars on Classics over the course of a decade would spend more money on our new line if it looked more like the old one!” No, that’s not going to happen, not a remote chance.

It’s just kinda hard seeing something you love executed in such a way that you don’t want to have it. It feels like there’s a big MOTU party out there and many of us have been disinvited.
    Now you know exactly how 200x fans felt during Classics.

We had to beg and scream to get even a 200x accessory. Remember all the disingenuous logic Toyguru used against giving us 200x Keldor swords?

Battleground Evil Lyn who was supposed to the 200x version? We were promised a newly tooled 200x dress.

Nope. Straight repaint.

And then you even had fans on this forum and the Fwoosh outright stating they didn't want 200x accessories, heads, or even the separate 200x sub to even exist.

------

I own multiples of nearly every MOTUC figure ever made. I loved that line, but I'm not going to lie, after seeing how a notable segment of Classics fans treated 200x fans and now seeing the tables turned on them has been amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    These people who spent thousands of dollars on Classics over the course of a decade would spend more money on our new line if it looked more like the old one!Ē No, thatís not going to happen, not a remote chance.
    I would bet a whole heap of money that if Mattel released Classics with New Eternia versions like the Viking He-Man, Barbarian Skeletor and the NE Beastman even people with a complete MOTUC collection would queue up to buy them.
    Calling all fellow Aussies to post in the Australian Collectors Thread

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    I would bet a whole heap of money that if Mattel released Classics with New Eternia versions like the Viking He-Man, Barbarian Skeletor and the NE Beastman even people with a complete MOTUC collection would queue up to buy them.
    I've heard that the Classics molds they used most often, like the He-Man, Skeletor and Beastman you're asking for, broke from being used for short runs of so many different toys. And paying the same tooling cost as the new Masterverse bodies to remake such primitive figures and trying to sell them at retail next to Marvel Legends would be about the biggest business mistake they could make.

Quote Originally Posted by MCX-Eternia View Post
    I've heard that the Classics molds they used most often, like the He-Man, Skeletor and Beastman you're asking for, broke from being used for short runs of so many different toys. And paying the same tooling cost as the new Masterverse bodies to remake such primitive figures and trying to sell them at retail next to Marvel Legends would be about the biggest business mistake they could make.
    You may be right but there is a steady stream of "factory seconds" He-Man and Faker on eBay and Alibaba....someone has a tool somewhere in China. TBH, they are fine, ankles are a little loose and the hair sits a bit high on the head but other than that they are fine.

As for your other point, if they are so "primitive" and would never sell, how do you explain Origins? Same primitive articulation as Classics and "most" of them sell out and are a nightmare to try and find in store.

I think it would be a great test and learn for Mattel, they should have been the 40th anniversary 2 pack at SDCC to see what the current demand for a figure like that would be, the tooling costs would have been similar to the whole new buck they used and it could have introduced a whole new sub line of MV.
    Calling all fellow Aussies to post in the Australian Collectors Thread

Heroic Warrior
    What time does the reveal normally happen in America, or is it not set?

Heroic Podcaster
    Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    As for your other point, if they are so "primitive" and would never sell, how do you explain Origins? Same primitive articulation as Classics and "most" of them sell out and are a nightmare to try and find in store.
    Origins sells (and sells out) because it is an update of the classic toys we all grew up with - the OG line that is the reason this site exists and why we are all here. Same size, same scale, same squatty muscle bound characters, etc. That is why it sells like crazy.

Classics was great. I have almost all of them and love them. But they were not updates of classic MOTU toys. They were MOTU characters put through the lens of (then) current toy design and there is a difference.
    ORIGINS COUNTDOWN - Blade BlastAttak DBSkeletor Dragstor Extendar Grizzlor Gwildor HurrHordak KingHiss* KingRandor* KobraKhan* LLSkeletor LPHeMan Mekaneck Modulok MossMan MultiBot Rattlor* RioBlast Rokkon Rotar Saurod SnakeFace* Spikor Sssqueeze* Stonedar SyKlone TungLashor* Twistoid TwoBad Whiplash*