Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Batgirl

Heroic Warrior

Batgirl

I know some people will be sad/annoyed to hear this.
    The upcoming Batgirl movie has been cancelled, after nearly completing the movie and spending 90million on it budget.
    Apparently after screenings within the studio it was deemed to terrible to release in the cinema and now won’t be released on HBO either.
    Seems insane that the studio can just write off 90milion

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Must have been a real stinker.

Court Magician
    And yet Ezra Miller and Amber Heard are still on their payroll...

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Maybe I have poor taste, but I would have been interested to see the film.

It kind of makes me sad since Keaton's Batman was in it, but it must have been terrible considering it is the same studio that has released Birds of Prey.

I wish Warner may start treating DC in a more relevant way besides Batman. I don't have any faith in Black Adam (nor Shazam 2) and I don't know what is going to happen with The Flash or Aquaman 2. The Snyderverse is like a fatally wounded beast who denies its imminent death
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

I absolutely LOVE Batgirl and I hope the character gets a really GREAT movie!

I am still hopeful and positive about Black Adam, Shazam 2 and Aquaman 2 though.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    It kind of makes me sad since Keaton's Batman was in it, but it must have been terrible considering it is the same studio that has released Birds of Prey.

I wish Warner may start treating DC in a more relevant way besides Batman. I don't have any faith in Black Adam (nor Shazam 2) and I don't know what is going to happen with The Flash or Aquaman 2. The Snyderverse is like a fatally wounded beast who denies its imminent death
    Honestly even if it was terrible surely it would be more of a money loser to not release a movie you spent near 100 million on.

Since they did a tax write off we are more likely to see it leaked years from now then WB releasing it officially. I have also heard WB want their DC projects to have a blockbuster scale which Batgirl didn't meet. Although it ultimately might just be a cost cutting measure from Warner Bros. Discovery.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

LOL, it's not that surprising - this movie was already getting raked over the coals on social media for ages now...

Why is the DCU such an absolute **** show?

I think the studio should still try to re-coup some of that cost. No matter how bad the movie is, I still want to see it. Once the media hype of the cancellation goes down, perhaps WB could just send it out via DVD? OR maybe as an extra attached to another DC movie on DVD, perhaps Black Adam or Shazam 2?

DC has made some very bad and some very good movies, so this is no surprise. Compared to Marvel, which has made either very good, decent, or mediocre movies, but very few bad ones.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I wonder if it really was worse than some of the DCEU movies that have come before it (Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad) or if WB just realized it was simply continuing down that same mediocre, underwhelming path that they're trying to break free of.

Let's face it, the MCU is at a bit of a crossroads itself quality-wise, and now would be a GREAT time for the WB to get their act together and pick up the reigns that the MCU appears to be dropping. I don't have much faith at all that the WB will do this, but I hope they will. They need to start hiring some good writers who actually know the characters thoroughly (*cough*cough*BRUCETIMM*cough*cough*), some quality directors, keep the casting that has worked (Wonder Woman, Shazam, Aquaman, Harley Quinn, SUPERMAN), recast the ones that haven't (Batman, Flash) and take their time building up the universe pretty much from scratch.

I often imagine an alternate universe where the WB followed the MCU's lead and, instead of short-cutting their way to a Justice League movie, actually took their time to build the team up first.

Imagine a Phase One that looked like this:
    - Batman (Iron Man)
    - Superman (Hulk)
    - The Flash (Iron Man 2)
    - Wonder Woman (Thor)
    - Aquaman (Captain America)
    - Justice League - introducing Martian Manhunter and John Stewart (Avengers)

PHASE TWO
    - Batman 2 (Iron Man 3)
    - Superman 2 (Thor 2)
    - Wonder Woman 2 (Captain America 2)
    - Doom Patrol (Guardians of the Galaxy)
    - Justice League 2 (Avengers 2)
    - Green Arrow (Ant-Man)

PHASE THREE
    - Aquaman 2 (Captain America 3)
    - Green Lantern John Stewart (Doctor Strange)
    - Doom Patrol 2 (Guardians 2)
    - Shazam! (Spider-Man)
    - Batman 3 (Thor 3)
    - Black Lightning (Black Panther)
    - Justice League 3 (Avengers 3)
    - Green Arrow & Black Canary (Ant-Man & the Wasp)
    - Supergirl (Captain Marvel)
    - Justice League 4 (Avengers 4)
    - Shazam! 2 (Spider-Man 2)

OK, I'll stop being a dork now.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Quote Originally Posted by Grayskull Guardsman View Post
    Must have been a real stinker.
    I wonder if the Midnights Edge video is true, I have some doubts but it is the only feasable answer I found so far.

Last edited by Catra2017; August 8, 2022 at 01:32pm. Reason: Update on the matter
    Sign me plz! (petition for Dreamworks She-Ra toys)
    https://chng.it/fHKxh4N7Ck

SPOP 2018 & MOTU:Re 2021 timeline comparison:
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...e-info-(enjoy)

Quote Originally Posted by Wakko View Post
    I wonder if it really was worse than some of the DCEU movies that have come before it (Birds of Prey, Suicide Squad) or if WB just realized it was simply continuing down that same mediocre, underwhelming path that they're trying to break free of.
    I wonder if some of the characters/actors in this movie might be being featured in future movies as well? Maybe they didn't want them tied to an awful movie making people less likely to see others those same characters/actors are in?
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

I’m more curious if the rumours about the upcoming movies are true.

I heard the Flash is actually really good but aqua man 2 is a stinker.

I guess it doesn’t really matter. I won’t support any movie Millar is in or Heard.

The only my way I paying to see Aquaman 2 is if they cut Heard from it entirely. Do we know if they have actually recast her with Emilia Clark or is that still just wishful thinking?
    Calling all fellow Aussies to post in the Australian Collectors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I wonder if some of the characters/actors in this movie might be being featured in future movies as well? Maybe they didn't want them tied to an awful movie making people less likely to see others those same characters/actors are in?
    I think Michael Keaton was going to be in it as well as Aquaman 2 although with Ben returning as Batman not sure if he's still in it.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Not sure, but I've been doing a deep dive this afternoon on the shake-ups happening at WB/Discovery. Poor Michael Keaton shot appearances as Batman in Batgirl, Aquaman 2, and, of course, The Flash. Batgirl has now been canned, and all of Keaton's scenes in Aquaman 2 have now been re-shot with Ben Affleck. This only leaves his appearance in The Flash, and boy, rumors are swirling that that movie is going to get canned too. Things be crazy over at WB with the new sheriff in town. And honestly, I can't say I'm sorry to hear it. Birds of Prey was terrible, The Suicide Squad was a bit of an uneven mess (I think it only got praised because it was nominally better than the first one), and 1984 did a total disservice to Wonder Woman.

All that said, Batgirl must be atrocious to be completely shelved. Not even streamed. So bad that WB/Discovery don't want its stink to fall over future projects. And if what I'm hearing is true -- that the former person in charge of WB wanted to transform the DC trinity into Batgirl, Supergirl, and Wonder Woman -- then yes, they needed to bring in someone with a different plan. Superman and Batman are two of the most -- if not THE most -- recognizable comic book characters of all time. Ditching them -- for any reason -- makes zero sense, unless your plan is to intentionally lose money.
    Check out my on-going project: THE UNOFFICIAL MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE CLASSICS COMPLETE COLLECTION GUIDE
    Featuring photos, bios, accessories, release dates, and trivia for every figure, beast, vehicle and playset released in Masters of the Universe Classics!

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...24819c359f2ceb

Warner Bros. has axed the $90 million "Batgirl" film planned for HBO Max, according to a person connected with the film who was not authorized to speak publicly about it.

The decision was highly unusual for such a high-priced movie in the final stages of completion. But the studio ultimately decided "Batgirl" didn't merit either a streaming debut or a theatrical release, and has instead opted to entirely write off the film starring "In the Heights" star Leslie Grace as Batgirl and co-starring Michael Keaton (returning as Batman), J.K. Simmons and Brendan Fraser. It was directed by Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah. Production wrapped in April.

Warner Bros.' decision, one without any obvious parallel in Hollywood history, sent shockwaves through the industry. When a big-budget movie doesn't meet a studio's expectations, it's typically sold off or dumped quietly with little fanfare. "Batgirl," greenlit before WarnerMedia's merger with Discovery Inc., will instead simply not see the light of day after reportedly poor test screenings.

"We are saddened and shocked by the news. We still can't believe it," El Arbi and Fallah said in a statement Wednesday. "As directors, it is critical that our work be shown to audiences, and while the film was far from finished, we wish that fans all over the world would have had the opportunity to see and embrace the final film themselves. Maybe one day they will insha'Allah (if God wills)."

Under new Warner Bros. Discovery chief executive David Zaslav, Warner Bros. is shifting its strategy on film releases and trimming costs. Under previous chief executive Jason Kilar and partly as a pandemic response, the studio implemented day-and-date releases in 2021, opening films simultaneously in theaters and on HBO Max. Other films, like "Batgirl," were produced solely for HBO Max.

This year, Warner Bros. has returned to exclusive theatrical windows for at least 45 days before sending movies to HBO Max. While "Batgirl" isn't as pricey as many superhero films, which typically cost $150-200 million to make, it's a bigger budget movie for an HBO Max title. Zaslav has maintained larger budgeted movies are best served by a theatrical rollout. But marketing a movie like "Batgirl" for that kind of release would require tens of millions more. Warner Bros. Discovery is set to report second-quarter earnings Thursday.

Representatives for Warner Bros. and Warner Bros. Discovery declined to comment. The "Batgirl" plans were first reported by the New York Post.

Warner Bros. also shelved "Scoob!: Holiday Haunt," an almost-completed sequel to 2020's "Scoob!" Producer and writer Tony Cervone confirmed in an Instagram post Tuesday that the "Scoob!" film was canned.

"Yes I am afraid this is true," wrote Cervone. "The movie is practically finished and turned out beautifully. I am beyond heartbroken."

The "Batgirl" cancellation comes as Warner Bros. is trying to revamp its DC Films operations. While "The Batman" earlier this year performed well with $770.8 million in ticket sales, Warners' DC releases have been erratic and plagued by controversy. "The Flash," scheduled for release next June, stars Ezra Miller who has been arrested twice this year in Hawaii, in a disorderly conduct case and on suspicion of assault.

Warner Bros. is hoping to reorganize and reset its DC pipeline — going bigger, not smaller with its rival Marvel. Ultimately, "Batgirl" didn't suit those plans.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Destroyer of Tough Stains Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    WB is under new leadership since the merger with Discovery, and they are making it a priority to get the DC brand on track to be films of quality, and not continue to be compared unfavorably to Marvel (though Marvel seems to be trying to help DC in that regard given the quality of most things in Phase 4 so far). All of those films that you mentioned were made under the previous leadership, and Batgirl began production under that previous leadership.

It is disapointing to see what is happening with this and The Flash (which regardless of whether or not that ends up being a good movie, all of the stuff with Ezra Miller is putting a very dark cloud over it, and at this point I wouldn't be surprised to see WB leadership make some hard decisions about that movie), since I was looking forward to both if for no other reason than the return of Keaton's Batman. I just hope that with Batgirl getting shelved and whatever-the-hell ends up happening with The Flash, it won't stop Michael Keaton from wanting to be involved going forward.

This video does a decent job of explaining things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4dtChBd10M

It sounds like they thought it wasn't a good film and that they could make more money off it as a tax write off than releasing it. I'm probably more surprised they scrapped the $40 million Scoob sequel.

It sounds like executives think the Flash movie is really good, so I think that will still get released despite Miller's hijinks. I do wonder about the Blue Beatle film that was going to be made for HBO Max, though.

Great news IMO! This whole movie sounded like garbage and I'm glad the new leadership shelved.

I'm also happy to hear the rumors that they plan to gut the actual DC comics division and try to get the books back on track.

Master of New Adventures!
    Suicide Squad did $784 million in worldwide box office and was watched by 2.8 million on HBO Max.

Let's face it, the MCU is at a bit of a crossroads itself quality-wise, and now would be a GREAT time for the WB to get their act together and pick up the reigns that the MCU appears to be dropping. I don't have much faith at all that the WB will do this, but I hope they will. They need to start hiring some good writers who actually know the characters thoroughly (*cough*cough*BRUCETIMM*cough*cough*), some quality directors, keep the casting that has worked (Wonder Woman, Shazam, Aquaman, Harley Quinn, SUPERMAN), recast the ones that haven't (Batman, Flash) and take their time building up the universe pretty much from scratch.

I often imagine an alternate universe where the WB followed the MCU's lead and, instead of short-cutting their way to a Justice League movie, actually took their time to build the team up first.

Imagine a Phase One that looked like this:
    - Batman (Iron Man)
    - Superman (Hulk)
    - The Flash (Iron Man 2)
    - Wonder Woman (Thor)
    - Aquaman (Captain America)
    - Justice League - introducing Martian Manhunter and John Stewart (Avengers)

PHASE TWO
    - Batman 2 (Iron Man 3)
    - Superman 2 (Thor 2)
    - Wonder Woman 2 (Captain America 2)
    - Doom Patrol (Guardians of the Galaxy)
    - Justice League 2 (Avengers 2)
    - Green Arrow (Ant-Man)

PHASE THREE
    - Aquaman 2 (Captain America 3)
    - Green Lantern John Stewart (Doctor Strange)
    - Doom Patrol 2 (Guardians 2)
    - Shazam! (Spider-Man)
    - Batman 3 (Thor 3)
    - Black Lightning (Black Panther)
    - Justice League 3 (Avengers 3)
    - Green Arrow & Black Canary (Ant-Man & the Wasp)
    - Supergirl (Captain Marvel)
    - Justice League 4 (Avengers 4)
    - Shazam! 2 (Spider-Man 2)

OK, I'll stop being a dork now.

Inappropriate Tree Hugger The.Idea.of.Evil's Avatar
    I'm in the camp of being happy with this decision being made. With the horrible Ann Sarnoff finally being fired, maybe the new owners are finally going to invest in good writing and give actual respect for DC lore by not pushing all their characters with a social narrative that speaks down to comic fans instead of entertaining them.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Suicide Squad did $784 million in worldwide box office and was watched by 2.8 million on HBO Max.
    Ok? I wasn't commenting on BO numbers.

And no matter how many people who watched it, you'd be hard pressed to find someone now who would call it a favorite or even a very good movie.

Realist. Deal with it. Lord Anubis's Avatar
    Terrible news for the crew, having a project shelved this far along creates a black stain on your resume no matter what or who’s fault it is. Luckily everyone was paid for their work but man, brutal.

On the flip side from what I heard of the story and just the designs, it very loosely fit into the 89verse. It looked really off from Burton’s established Gotham which is where it took place. Also she was going to replace Bruce as the 89verse defender as he passed the cowl to her. A story like that just isn’t what anyone wanted for Keaton … at this point the only origin we would need is for Batman Beyond.

If there was a batgirl and Robin, their stories have been done to death, just insert them in the story and give them a great adventure, besides the CW stuff has kinda beaten all these side characters to death lately. Batman beyond could be money, big money. It’s newer, never been done before, stylized and if they kept that booming soundtrack….
    "We are the tools of our own imagination, constructing temples and cathedrals in which our most outlandish dreams become truth." - Samael

More good news, it seems the Supergirl movie is not going forward also. Ann Sarnoff's garbage is CANCELLED!!

The studio needs to just re-build off Wonder Woman and Aquaman.