Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Batgirl

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I should rephrase what I said. When I say "pushing agendas," I mean when a movie flops and critics and audiences don't like it because of the story and characters, the people that make or act in the movie usually go on about how the film was promoting this and that and that's why people didn't like it.
    The people making the movies should be more interested in making a good story and characters instead of promoting this and that.
    Like with Ghostbusters 2016, Disney's Star Wars movies etc.

For the most part DC's live action movies and TV have been pretty terrible with a few exceptions.
    DC's animated stuff is awesome.
    To be fair that terribleness is rarely connected to the pushes of inclusivity or PCness or whatever one wants to call.

Most DC's movies didn't need PC elements to suck and Arrow from season 3 onwards also didn't need PC elements to suck.

I'm not sure I can say all DC's animated stuff was great, the New 52 inspired movies were pretty crap.

Maybe Warner Bros have realised that fans and audiences in general want entertaining and interesting stories and characters instead of movies to push agendas.
    Quote Originally Posted by theAncients View Post
    I'm all for giving people a chance, but it should not be at the expense of something.
    Batgirl casting was horrible from the start. Barbara Gordon is not black.

Why the need to recast Barbara's ethnicity ? It disrespects the character and the creator/creators of the character. Same with Iris West of The Flash. She is not black. Danielle Panabaker would've been the perfect Iris. Also, Zoey Deutch, who was in the running, was perfect for Batgirl.

There are so many non-white talented comic book creators and film makers. They should create new characters which everyone can get behind, without changing/destroying what came before.

THIS. David Zaslav might actually save DC.

I become irrationally angry when people fall back on this chestnut because it simply isn't true. That statement hasn't been close to being true for about a decade. Through sheer force of volume, by this point MOST DC animated movies are pretty lousy, albeit most of the worst ones were from the past decade. Still, pound-for-pound and movie-for-movie, a lot more Bad than Good, now.

Especially when ones that should have easily been great, like The Killing Joke, Hush, and Reign of the Supermen, turned out awful. I have to take points off for fumbling such easy, idiot-proof lay-ups.

There was a time when a person could claim DC's animated output was superior, but they haven't even been "satisfactory" to me for a very long time.
    -----------------

As for the larger future of the WB/DC movie brand... eh. WB as a company has been a comedy of errors for a very long time, above and beyond their DC efforts. I have very little faith in any New Bosses being able to magically fix things. I'm also one of the few people who very much liked the original path of the DCEU - I simply can't stand comedic super-hero movies, which means that despite being a fan of comic books about 95% of movies based on them are absolutely NOT for me since they have to have "mainstream appeal", i.e. "tons of awful jokes" - so no matter what happens, I'm not going to get what I want, and therefore my emotional investment is low.

I do confess some spiteful cheer in seeing the pet projects of the last "new regime" fail, since I feel like that's just karma for the previous couple of years' decisions all being based entirely on spite. But I'm not hopeful or excited about the future with the new regime, either. To the casual moviegoer, it makes no difference anyway. People who buy tickets don't know who the CEO of WB is or who approved what movies; they only know "DC = Bad, Marvel = Good", and a few new people getting offices at WB isn't going to change any public perception on the matter.

I do think it's wise to "prune" some of the excess projects like this Batgirl movie, which nobody really asked for and wasn't projected to do big business anyway. But who knows what "fixing DC" means to the new guys in charge? The trailer for Shazam 2 is one of the most horrible things I've ever seen, and I actually liked the first movie a fair bit (although I despised all of that one's trailers, as well), but if that's the direction of the future then I'm definitely all-out.

But it's really too soon to tell anything. The only thing certain at this point, is that it's a time of great uncertainty.

I predict they squeeze out the 4 or 5 movies they've already got in the pipeline, twiddle their thumbs and send out press releases talking of "big plans" for a year or two, and then they move a bunch of new people in and it starts all over again. I'll believe there's competent and motivated leadership in place when I see results to that end.

The only real DC predictions I feel comfortable making, are that the "Black Superman" movie by Ta-Nehisi Coates is most likely very, very quietly going to be cancelled, and Wonder Woman 3 will inevitably still happen but Patti Jenkins will suddenly become "too busy" to direct it, once someone in the new WB regime takes a look and realizes how bad the reviews and monetary returns were for WW84. I mean, realistically they can't in good conscience let Jenkins have another swing after that disaster, WB has actively pushed other people out the door for WAY less than that.

So those two things, I feel confident about. Anything else... eh, I have no idea. We'll see. Right now, all I see are guys in suits making Big Promises. Just like last year, and the year before that. Yawn.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I become irrationally angry when people fall back on this chestnut because it simply isn't true. That statement hasn't been close to being true for about a decade. Through sheer force of volume, by this point MOST DC animated movies are pretty lousy, albeit most of the worst ones were from the past decade. Still, pound-for-pound and movie-for-movie, a lot more Bad than Good, now.

Especially when ones that should have easily been great, like The Killing Joke, Hush, and Reign of the Supermen, turned out awful. I have to take points off for fumbling such easy, idiot-proof lay-ups.

There was a time when a person could claim DC's animated output was superior, but they haven't even been "satisfactory" to me for a very long time.
    -----------------

As for the larger future of the WB/DC movie brand... eh. WB as a company has been a comedy of errors for a very long time, above and beyond their DC efforts. I have very little faith in any New Bosses being able to magically fix things. I'm also one of the few people who very much liked the original path of the DCEU - I simply can't stand comedic super-hero movies, which means that despite being a fan of comic books about 95% of movies based on them are absolutely NOT for me since they have to have "mainstream appeal", i.e. "tons of awful jokes" - so no matter what happens, I'm not going to get what I want, and therefore my emotional investment is low.

I do confess some spiteful cheer in seeing the pet projects of the last "new regime" fail, since I feel like that's just karma for the previous couple of years' decisions all being based entirely on spite. But I'm not hopeful or excited about the future with the new regime, either. To the casual moviegoer, it makes no difference anyway. People who buy tickets don't know who the CEO of WB is or who approved what movies; they only know "DC = Bad, Marvel = Good", and a few new people getting offices at WB isn't going to change any public perception on the matter.

I do think it's wise to "prune" some of the excess projects like this Batgirl movie, which nobody really asked for and wasn't projected to do big business anyway. But who knows what "fixing DC" means to the new guys in charge? The trailer for Shazam 2 is one of the most horrible things I've ever seen, and I actually liked the first movie a fair bit (although I despised all of that one's trailers, as well), but if that's the direction of the future then I'm definitely all-out.

But it's really too soon to tell anything. The only thing certain at this point, is that it's a time of great uncertainty.

I predict they squeeze out the 4 or 5 movies they've already got in the pipeline, twiddle their thumbs and send out press releases talking of "big plans" for a year or two, and then they move a bunch of new people in and it starts all over again. I'll believe there's competent and motivated leadership in place when I see results to that end.

The only real DC predictions I feel comfortable making, are that the "Black Superman" movie by Ta-Nehisi Coates is most likely very, very quietly going to be cancelled, and Wonder Woman 3 will inevitably still happen but Patti Jenkins will suddenly become "too busy" to direct it, once someone in the new WB regime takes a look and realizes how bad the reviews and monetary returns were for WW84. I mean, realistically they can't in good conscience let Jenkins have another swing after that disaster, WB has actively pushed other people out the door for WAY less than that.

So those two things, I feel confident about. Anything else... eh, I have no idea. We'll see. Right now, all I see are guys in suits making Big Promises. Just like last year, and the year before that. Yawn.
    I completely disagree with everything you just said. DC's movies, animated and live action have been fabulous, perhaps in differing levels of awesomeness, but for the most part absolutely amazing.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

-----------------

I was refering more to their older animated shows and movies.
    Their more recent animated shows and movies have been hit and miss. Some are great and some terrible.
    Like you said "Killing Joke" was awful...but then again I wasn't a fan of the book either but thought it was vastly superior to the animated version.

The last 6-8 years or so, DC had a lot of misses rather than hits, but there is some stuff to enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by theAncients View Post
    The last 6-8 years or so, DC had a lot of misses rather than hits, but there is some stuff to enjoy.
    Young Justice was good but the new season 3 and 4 are awful. It's like watching a completely different show compared to season 1 and 2.

So it seemed Batgirl's test screenings were roughly on par with Shazam 2 and Black Adam, that either means Batgirl wasn't that bad, or Shazam 2 and Black Adam are really gonna suck.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    So it seemed Batgirl's test screenings were roughly on par with Shazam 2 and Black Adam, that either means Batgirl wasn't that bad, or Shazam 2 and Black Adam are really gonna suck.
    Where did you heard this from?
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Heroic Warrior Grayskull Guardsman's Avatar
    Young Justice was good but the new season 3 and 4 are awful. It's like watching a completely different show compared to season 1 and 2.
    So much this! Young Justice fell hard. It is unwatchable now. Absolutely terrible, and I am a hardcore DC guy.

I expect Batgirl was like a bad episode of an Arrowverse show. Outside of Keaton and Simmons, it didn’t seem to have much going for it. Out of the gate, they missed the mark with casting Barbara. She is supposed to be a red-headed, computer geek, gymnast... not a Latina model type.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    Where did you heard this from?
    https://comicbookmovie.com/batman/ba...k-adam-a195184

There's a great thing someone in the comments section pointed out, WB are i kind of a lose lose situation here. Either they come and are terrible, or they end up actually being decent and people will start asking why the apparently just as decent Batgirl got canned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I disagree, DC's live action and animated content is of equal good value and I think anyone can play any character if they are talented enough, I don't think someone should be disqualified merely because of skin colour.
    You'd be ok with a white actor playing Nelson Mandela?

https://comicbookmovie.com/batman/ba...k-adam-a195184

There's a great thing someone in the comments section pointed out, WB are i kind of a lose lose situation here. Either they come and are terrible, or they end up actually being decent and people will start asking why the apparently just as decent Batgirl got canned.
    Ok thanks, so it might have been the push for DC to be for theaters that got Batgirl canceled.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

I completely agree with this statement. Season 3 was fun in some way, but season 4 was just plain dull, and it is a clear example of how to put too much nonsense content in animated adventure show. The clash between Zod and Superman & Superboy should have been glorious but it was too rushed, and they took ages to cope with Changelling/ Beast Boy's depression. There were 3 Legionnaries in this season a they were just a glorified cameo.

Regarding DC Animated movies, since they tried to tell classic stories into New 52 design, they were anachronic and pretty badly adapted. Even worse, new united DC Animated Universe with "Archer's" animation style has presented one of the most boring genesis stories for Superman.

On the other hand, I think that Black Adam is going to be a fiasco, and I don't have much hopes for Shazam 2 if they are going to imitate the same jokes they did with the first one. I wished they may have used Mr Mind
    Great trade orgers: Son of Keldor - sdilks -JeMaBo2 x3 - Kowl - Bigassbuzz (Hyveofvillany) - Queen Marlena - mikescab - whitespyders

My feedback thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I completely agree with this statement. Season 3 was fun in some way, but season 4 was just plain dull, and it is a clear example of how to put too much nonsense content in animated adventure show. The clash between Zod and Superman & Superboy should have been glorious but it was too rushed, and they took ages to cope with Changelling/ Beast Boy's depression. There were 3 Legionnaries in this season a they were just a glorified cameo.

Regarding DC Animated movies, since they tried to tell classic stories into New 52 design, they were anachronic and pretty badly adapted. Even worse, new united DC Animated Universe with "Archer's" animation style has presented one of the most boring genesis stories for Superman.

On the other hand, I think that Black Adam is going to be a fiasco, and I don't have much hopes for Shazam 2 if they are going to imitate the same jokes they did with the first one. I wished they may have used Mr Mind
    I really couldn't get into season 3 as it was so different. The first two seasons wer great but season 3 story was a mess and quite boring. I would have prefered the story to focus more on the oriinal characters instead of the new characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Catra2017 View Post
    I wonder if the Midnights Edge video is true, I have some doubts but it is the only feasable answer I found so far.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_v0Uyk6kK_4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xZbQRNo4Wuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt3YCd2XY7k
    I added video sources, plus we now have Mr.smith to!
    Sign me plz! (petition for Dreamworks She-Ra toys)
    https://chng.it/fHKxh4N7Ck

SPOP 2018 & MOTU:Re 2021 timeline comparison:
    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...e-info-(enjoy)

I really couldn't get into season 3 as it was so different. The first two seasons wer great but season 3 story was a mess and quite boring. I would have prefered the story to focus more on the oriinal characters instead of the new characters.
    Agreed.

I thought S1 started off pretty rough, but once it found its groove, S1 and S2 were hitting close to DCAU quality.

S3 was a total bummer and I haven't been able to force myself to finish S4.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    Agreed.

I thought S1 started off pretty rough, but once it found its groove, S1 and S2 were hitting close to DCAU quality.

S3 was a total bummer and I haven't been able to force myself to finish S4.
    Same, what I watched of season 4 was terrible.
    Last edited by Mark M; August 8, 2022 at 03:41pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Meanwhile, Idris Elba says his next project is with DC. I hope it's a Bloodsport spinoff or something similar. I really liked James Gunn's work on both The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    Idris Elba says his next project is with DC. I hope it's a Bloodsport spinoff or something similar.
    Now the have gone too far!!! Race swapping Jean Claude Van Damme is just too much LOL
    Calling all fellow Aussies to post in the Australian Collectors Thread

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    Now the have gone too far!!! Race swapping Jean Claude Van Damme is just too much LOL
    Whenever I hear about the Van Damme Bloodsport I can only think of the crazy behind the scenes story about how it's based on a frauds lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I completely disagree with everything you just said.
    Thank goodness! I'm never comfortable when we agree, it's generally a sign that I'm doing something wrong and need to thoroughly reevaluate my position. What a relief that I'm right again as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhanen View Post
    I don't have much hopes for Shazam 2 if they are going to imitate the same jokes they did with the first one. I wished they may have used Mr Mind
    Right? I hope the movie at least addresses Mr. Mind since they set him up at the end of the first movie. If they don't reference him at all that would be lame.

Despite my abhorrence of "funny" super-hero movies, I did like the first one for the most part. The trailers sold it as a complete screwball comedy but the actual movie was surprisingly a lot more balanced, and a lot darker in spots than I'd expected. I still would have dialed the jokes down a little bit - Captain Marvel stories are more "whimsical" than straight-up "goofy" and it takes a delicate hand to illustrate the difference - but it was much better than I'd feared. The sequel, though, looks like they're going full-on into the humor; I'm hoping that's a misdirection as the trailers for the first movie were.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Thank goodness! I'm never comfortable when we agree, it's generally a sign that I'm doing something wrong and need to thoroughly reevaluate my position. What a relief that I'm right again as usual.

Right? I hope the movie at least addresses Mr. Mind since they set him up at the end of the first movie. If they don't reference him at all that would be lame.

Despite my abhorrence of "funny" super-hero movies, I did like the first one for the most part. The trailers sold it as a complete screwball comedy but the actual movie was surprisingly a lot more balanced, and a lot darker in spots than I'd expected. I still would have dialed the jokes down a little bit - Captain Marvel stories are more "whimsical" than straight-up "goofy" and it takes a delicate hand to illustrate the difference - but it was much better than I'd feared. The sequel, though, looks like they're going full-on into the humor; I'm hoping that's a misdirection as the trailers for the first movie were.
    I can understand find MCU films to jokey. But I always felt the Snyderverse went way to far in the opposite direction. Being more serous and for lack of a better term "mythic" in tone is a good way to do something deferent to what Marvel were doing and I'd even argue Man of Steel, pulled that aspect off. But there's being serous and then there's just being dower an joyless, which I think is very much what happened with BvS.

I agree with this.

By and large, the DC Animated Universe has more wins than not. I very much look forward to each new movie, although, I am a bit hesitant when they adapt one of my favorite stories - as is the case with Batman: Year One.

But, on the whole, the movies are done really well with great action, animation, voice casts, and music... I especially like the way that they portrayed the Teen Titans for Justice League vs. Teen Titans and Teen Titans: The Judas Contract.

I have been patiently waiting for a full-fledged Legion of Superheroes movie to come along... maybe adapting The Great Darkness Saga

I can understand find MCU films to jokey. But I always felt the Snyderverse went way to far in the opposite direction. Being more serous and for lack of a better term "mythic" in tone is a good way to do something deferent to what Marvel were doing and I'd even argue Man of Steel, pulled that aspect off. But there's being serous and then there's just being dower an joyless, which I think is very much what happened with BvS.
    Absolutely.

Many people forget that the comic in comic book comes from the humor found in the early strips.

Humor is a part of this medium's DNA... even when it is turned into a big budget motion picture. (This is why I feel that Nolan's Batman movies really missed the mark. I know that they are praised by a large part of the community, but I could never get on board...)
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Humor is a part of this medium's DNA... even when it is turned into a big budget motion picture. (This is why I feel that Nolan's Batman movies really missed the mark. I know that they are praised by a large part of the community, but I could never get on board...)
    There are a lot of us fans that prefer certain characters to be more dangerous and more driven. More like the Terminator or John Wick. You can try and slip bits of comedy in here and there but the characters themselves aren't humorous.

Nolan's Batman worked for me in that he was a driven, highly skilled, cerebral, strategist. It was the "real" Batman for fans like myself who never wanted things like young boy wonder.

It works well in the animated movies too, Batman being the dark, straight-man to other character's comedy.

Having said that, characters like Superman and the Flash...that's not who they are. They need a different kind of movie to work properly.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”