Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Origins beyond vintage

Quote Originally Posted by KnightOfGrayskull View Post
    And kids get more excited when their toys look like them.
    ROFL. I’m sorry but that’s got to be one of the most out of touch things I’ve ever heard. Kids want monsters, dinosaurs, aliens. They do not want toys that “look like them”.

My favourite toy was Skeletor and guess what, I’m not blue, I don’t have a skull for a face nor was I that jacked.

My kids favourite toys are one of the Paw Patrols dogs and an Indominus Rex….shockingly he isn’t a dog or a dinosaur…I’ll let him know he is doing it all wrong.
    Calling all fellow Aussies to post in the Australian Collectors Thread

I think he meant human toys.

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    ROFL. I’m sorry but that’s got to be one of the most out of touch things I’ve ever heard. Kids want monsters, dinosaurs, aliens. They do not want toys that “look like them”.

My favourite toy was Skeletor and guess what, I’m not blue, I don’t have a skull for a face nor was I that jacked.

My kids favourite toys are one of the Paw Patrols dogs and an Indominus Rex….shockingly he isn’t a dog or a dinosaur…I’ll let him know he is doing it all wrong.
    When it comes to "heroes" it's actually been studied and proven that children prefer heroes that remind them of themselves. They don't necessarily have to look like them, but it helps. You can really see this with Ninja Turtles, often adults they grew up watching Ninja Turtles grow up to be like their favorite Turtle. You strike me as a Raphael fan, but that's based on this one post.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/16/2022

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    When it comes to "heroes" it's actually been studied and proven that children prefer heroes that remind them of themselves. They don't necessarily have to look like them, but it helps. You can really see this with Ninja Turtles, often adults they grew up watching Ninja Turtles grow up to be like their favorite Turtle. You strike me as a Raphael fan, but that's based on this one post.
    I'm not saying this isn't true but in my experience kids, and heck even adults, want to identify with and be most like the character they find to be the coolest, toughest, smartest, ect. Whatever characteristic the child/adult finds the most ideal in a character.

I'd bet money the two main characters most kids playing G.I. Joe wanted to be both wore masks.
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Quote Originally Posted by KnightOfGrayskull View Post
    Not sure how this fandom expects Origins to continue long enough to 'finish the vintage line' without new characters that appeal more to kids. There's a reason vintage MOTU ended when it did, it lost the attention of kids and kept pumping the shelves with variants of He-man and Skeletor. 200X did the same. To some degree, Classics even started going that way with the Filmation subline redoing so much of the main cast (Even though that wasn't retail, so applies less here).

I was super excited when they announced Snake-Armor He-man, don't get me wrong I don't hate variants, but I also gladly welcome the Rulers of the Sun, the Terroar/Plasmar/Gr'Asp wave, Vykron, all of it. Kids who weren't around in the 80s don't care about 'finishing the vintage line first', or getting minicomic variants with a slightly greener Trap-Jaw. Truthfully, kids are all that matters. And kids get more excited when their toys look like them. To dismiss new figures, even if the entire point is to be more diverse, is very narrow-minded.

There's also a happy medium in there somewhere. If you're so invested in 'vintage' characters only, great, let's ask for Hawke/Delora/Birdwoman, or Ileena, or what about Melaktha? That's just some of Filmation's more 'diverse' crew. 200X has Dekker and Illumina, two fan favorites despite Illumina appearing once ina single-page ad. There's so much room to inject new life into the line without sacrificing the 'identity' of MOTU (which if you've ever read about Lou Sheimer's approach to Filmation, was very focused on being inclusive).

I'm not trying to point fingers at any one person in this thread, I'm just disappointed in the general sentiment of the more vocal members of the 'vintage only' crowd. Like can you imagine if Marvel stopped making new heroes in the 70's? Comic sales would be even lower than they are now and I can almost guarantee the MCU wouldn't be raking in billions on the regular. MOTU needs to evolve, move forward, and earn new fans. If Origins never moves beyond vintage and variants of vintage, it's gonna be another 20 years before we get more MOTU. Nobody wants that.
    I definitely want Melaktha and Garn. They'd both be in my top five Filmation wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I'm not saying this isn't true but in my experience kids, and heck even adults, want to identify with and be most like the character they find to be the coolest, toughest, smartest, ect. Whatever characteristic the child/adult finds the most ideal in a character.
    Yes, but also no. It's child psychology, and it's really complicated. Children will like the characters most like them and/or who they want to be and/or the ones most like their real world role models and/or the kind of role model they need.

I'd bet money the two main characters most kids playing G.I. Joe wanted to be both wore masks.
    Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/16/2022

Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander.
    Are you forgetting Storm Shadow???
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Are you forgetting Storm Shadow???
    No. Why bother with less cool evil Snake Eyes when you can bring down Cobra Commander?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/16/2022

No. Why bother with less cool evil Snake Eyes when you can bring down Cobra Commander?
    I almost vomited when i read this utter disgusting sentence!! How dare you sir!?!

Storm Shadow was easily the coolest character in the entire series. Snake Eyes took a major stock hit in the episode where he and Shipwreck got on stage at the club and did that Rockettes routine perfectly (obviously been practicing). And then he follows that up with some break dancing?? No respectable Ninja Commando would do that!

I almost vomited when i read this utter disgusting sentence!! How dare you sir!?!

Storm Shadow was easily the coolest character in the entire series. Snake Eyes took a major stock hit in the episode where he and Shipwreck got on stage at the club and did that Rockettes routine perfectly (obviously been practicing). And then he follows that up with some break dancing?? No respectable Ninja Commando would do that!
    I remember that episode. I chalk that up to bad writing, not a fault of Snake Eyes. But, I am with you. I actually like Storm Shadow a little bit more.

My favorite Joe figure as a kid was Gung Ho in his Marine Dress suit.

Heroic Podcaster
    Which any kid can easily imagine is themselves under the mask.

Smitty nailed it. Studies have shown for years that kids want to identify with toys that look like them, primarily the hero or protagonist characters. We all love to surround ourselves with robots and dinosaurs and ninjas but we want the central character to be us or, at least in the case of masked heroes, easily pretended is us.

G.I.Joe was ahead of it's time with so many characters of different races, backgrounds, skin tones and origins.

As for best Joe? BEACHHEAD for the win!
    ORIGINS COUNTDOWN - Blade BlastAttak DBSkeletor Dragstor Extendar Grizzlor Gwildor HurrHordak KingHiss* KingRandor* KobraKhan* LLSkeletor LPHeMan Mekaneck Modulok MossMan MultiBot Rattlor* RioBlast Rokkon Rotar Saurod SnakeFace* Spikor Sssqueeze* Stonedar SyKlone TungLashor* Twistoid TwoBad Whiplash*

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
    Smitty nailed it. Studies have shown for years that kids want to identify with toys that look like them, primarily the hero or protagonist characters. We all love to surround ourselves with robots and dinosaurs and ninjas but we want the central character to be us or, at least in the case of masked heroes, easily pretended is us.
    I guess I'm an outlier. Always wanted to be the tough guy character. Never imagined "myself" in the role. I was the character I was playing with.

Soundwave, Storm Shadow, Donatello, and Juggernaut. I always had favorites that were more character and power driven than anything else.

I've always been a bad guy fan as well. Maybe that's why I'm excited for any type of man-monster "new" origins character and so much "human based" characters.

I've always been a bad guy fan as well. Maybe that's why I'm excited for any type of man-monster "new" origins character and so much "human based" characters.
    At some point MOTU heroes just become He-Man but... The bad guys of MOTU are generally more diverse and interesting in their designs, and the only two, that I can think of, that are simular are Skeletor and Scareglow.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/16/2022

The bad guys of MOTU are generally more diverse and interesting in their designs, and the only two, that I can think of, that are simular are Skeletor and Scareglow.

And the Great Black Wizard.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    And the Great Black Wizard.
    Who?

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/16/2022

Who?

https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards...Support-thread

Just looked at my Shield Maiden Sherylyn, and thinking there are quite some figures that appeared in Classics, that they could adapt for Origins as time goes on. Fighting Foe Men, concept stuff like Demo-Man… And there’s all that 200X stuff. Would not be surprised if some of those appear in time.

And since finding out about the “Lost Wave” from ‘88, I’m a bit obsessed with them.
    Now I definitely want them in Origins, or at least a few of them. But that Whiplash guy needs a slightly modified head. Just like Stinkor is different from Mer-Man’s head in some lines.
    The others would work ok for me. Definitely Strobo, and Slamurai (if just for the name )

I meant characters that had or have a toy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    And since finding out about the “Lost Wave” from ‘88, I’m a bit obsessed with them.
    Now I definitely want them in Origins, or at least a few of them. But that Whiplash guy needs a slightly modified head. Just like Stinkor is different from Mer-Man’s head in some lines.
    The Lost Wave seem like a no brainer, they only need to make Rio Blast, Sssqueeze, and Sy-Klone. And Sssqueeze and Sy-Klone seem likely at this point.
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/16/2022

Widget
    I stumbled onto this Clyde Caldwell artwork that looks similar to the back card art of MOTU Origins. Now I just want a MOTU character with a Triceratops head!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm down for pretty much anything, so long as it makes a cool looking toy. I'd particularly like to have Sir-Laser-Lot and that purple cyclops, also an army of Skelcons. I also think it would be smart to do reissues of the most popular vintage characters every now and then.

Would you guys want New Eternia designs in Origins?

I don't really care but I suppose Matell is running out of cheap repaints/reworks to do so this is as good as any source.

Monster figures are awesome!

Representation has never really been particularly important to me. I'm slanty but most of my favourite cartoon characters in the 80s n 90s were all roundeyes.

Or mutants.

Or a small yellow robot that gets the stuffing kicked out of him on a regular basis.
    Bumblebee is the bot that taught children about crushing disappointment yet bouncing back to fail again and again

Relatability helps in slice of life stories, but personally I find that in children's entertainment I prefer my heroes to be ideals that one should aspire to as I feel heroism is an ideal that transcends race, culture and language.

As far as wot I'd like to see in origins...?

Weapon and armor packs!

More gear!
    More colors!
    Dammit Mattel, Gimme more big choppy weapons n kinky harnesses to pimp up me kitbash customs!
    Last edited by binkibonsai; September 14, 2022 at 02:27pm.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.

Two words that sounds like they should be three or four words:

Castle Grayskullman!