Thread: Dawn on Eternia, A New Masters of the Universe Stop Motion Movie

Widget

Dawn on Eternia, A New Masters of the Universe Stop Motion Movie

My son and I have just finished a stop motion movie using the Origins figures. I posted it on YouTube in two parts.

Here's the link to my channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjA...EHaq5IqGNAvHlQ

There you will find parts 1 & 2 of the movie, a sample scene of the splitting of the Power Sword, and the trailer. I completely reshot all of the footage used in the trailer, so I would check out the sample scene if you want to get a taste of what the movie is like.

It's based on the first part of the minicomic "He-Man and the Power Sword" with elaborations to bridge into the Filmation series. We intend to adapt "The Vengeance of Skeletor" next so please subscribe.

Please let me know if there are any issues with viewing the videos and stick around for the post credits scene.

Enjoy,

Channel G

For your first go at stop motion that was pretty sweet especially souping up the original mini comics which to me are still my favorites.

Widget

Your analysis is spot on...

Your analysis is spot on.

We started by adapting the first four pages of "He-Man and the Power Sword". If He-Man has an original origin, that's it. However, the second half of the minicomic reads too much like a conclusion. We intend to adapt that a bit later. We also wanted to answer some of questions raised by the of opening narration of the Filmation cartoon and try to reconcile the cartoon with the classic first four minicomics.

We are looking to adapt the "Vengeance of Skeletor". Adapt is a keyword here. If you want clues to the direction, we are taking with that, be sure to stick around for the post-credits scene at the end of the second half of part one.

Thanks for watching,

G

Nice. Interesting to see story based on the most vintage comics, before Adam - even though it looks like the prince has some role to play here still.

Speaking of vintage, this whole story has this very old feel to it. The pacing, tone, and dialogue, it has all this epic serious feel to it that you're not used to in modern stories that have to have some fun and lightheartedness for the broadest appeal (here it's restrained to stuff like credits). The cheapness of special effects, and the fact that this is basically a silent movie really make it feel like it was made a few decades ago - and I say it in the best way possible, it's oddly atmospheric.

Widget
    Thank you for your comments.

The Glut/Alcala minicomics (while not perfect) were my introduction to the Masters of the Universe. The reprints in the Darkhorse collection helped to get my son interested in Masters of the Universe. We only drew from the first four pages because we also wanted to show the splitting of the Power Sword. To have included the rejoining of the halves plus the struggle for the castle would have meant everything would have gotten short shrift. We decided to stick with basically origins for He-Man and the Green Goddess and her daughter plus whatever world building we could shoehorn in.

As for the Green Goddess, for a character that essentially started as a printer's error and was revised out of existence, she has always had an archetypal power that I haven't forgotten since 1982. She appears and then disappears in three pages, but somehow has returned again after four decades. I tried to flesh out her character without answering every conceivable question about her.

Also, I really appreciate your scrupulous choice of words in your post, and we take the compliment. The figures we the most expensive part of the film. The stop motion app and the editing software were free. The bulk of the materials were recycled. Those that were bought were Dollar Tree or Walmart. We did splurge at Ace Hardware and Jo-Ann Fabrics for some things.

I have an idea for a title sequence for the next chapter "The Vengeance of the Mermen" which involves water. Ray Harryhausen said water was impossible or at least extremely difficult to work with in stop motion. I got the Green Goddess to spill a bottle of water in this one. Let's see what we can do with a whole ocean.

Thanks again for watching.

G

Widget

He-Man Does John Carter Homage in Dawn on Eternia

Since Edgar Rice Burroughs virtually created the sword and planet genre within which the Masters of Universe exists, I included a homage to Gino D'Achille's 1970s cover painting for A Princess of Mars.

I have included a still picture I took when I was setting up the shot. You can find the shot at around 3:58 in the second part of the movie as He-Man fights the monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IaXE1fyHNo&t=17s

G
    Attached Images Attached Images