Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix He-Man & the Masters of the Universe Season 3 *SPOILERS* Talkback Thread

Netflix He-Man & the Masters of the Universe Season 3 *SPOILERS* Talkback Thread

Expect spoilers in this thread after the season debuts on Netflix.

Additional He-Man.Org Rules and Guidelines for thread - Please Read!

There has been a lot of discussion on where specific topics to be discussed land within this thread. This forum is intended to be all-ages and more light-hearted in spirit and is not to be dragged down into the typical debates about sex, politics, race and religion we see online often leading to anger and hurt feelings. Those topics can still be discussed, however they will be discussed in the Tar Swamp where there is a more open, adult platform for those topics.
    To help keep the forums fun and friendly, the admins and moderators have conversed and decided guidelines on what can and can’t be discussed in this thread and what will be referred to the Tar Swamp.

What can be discussed:
    • The specific reasons why we enjoy the show
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike the show
    • Reasons why we like/enjoy specific characters
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike characters
    • Relationships between characters (all inclusive and diversity - heterosexual, homosexual, pan, etc.) that are clearly defined in the cartoon

Topics for the Tar Swamp:
    • Debates about sex, politics and religion
    • Debates about race (discussion on race swapping of characters is allowed, but must not be political in nature)
    • Debates about morality and any sexually related topic, or any politics associated with sexuality
    • Speculation about a character’s sexuality

Heroic Warrior
    OK, just finished binging it all in one go

Pros

-All of Episode Six for sure, a nice break from all the more intense goings on, with fun easter eggs and the welcome appearance of the one troll Trollan.
    -Krass turning out to be less of a jerk even when acting like one.
    -Was that Alan Oppenheimer as the possessed King Grayskull?
    -Sticking to the original origins of The Sorceress for once
    -The final battle and Adam's choice on what to do with Skeletor
    -The reveal of the toilet (this will also be a con)
    -"Daughter"

Cons

-An awfully rushed exploration of Eldress and Teela's connection and resolution of their relationship.
    -Not much interaction between the corrupt Krass and the remaining Masters (or even Cringer for that matter) outside of Adam
    -Havoc He-Man largely played for laughs
    -The absolute waste and wasting of Mer-Man
    -Waste of the Snake-Men, they're just mindless grunts, we don't get a whiff of their hierarchy or even their motivations in the war.
    -The plot is more like a video game than a focused drama in places (not all of it though)
    -Stratos and the other allies don't get much screen time outside of a quick pep talk to Havoc Man
    -What was Evil Lyn attempting to do with Krass?
    -Some of it did feel like product placement (well duh...it is He-Man)
    -The reveal of the toilet (this will also be a pro)
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; August 18, 2022 at 08:10am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    -Sticking to the original origins of The Sorceress for once
    -The final battle and Adam's choice on what to do with Skeletor
    -"Daughter"
    These were among my favorite things too.
    The big drop that the Teela we've been following was Teela-Na this whole time was nice. In retrospect, in should have probably been obvious since she was using the name "Sorceress", but I still thought this was a version of "normal" Teela rather than a version of her mom. I know it's not exactly that, per se, since they're doing the minicomic thing where Teela was less a daughter and more an aspect of a divided Sorceress, but I think you'll get what I'm trying to say.

Also, thr "daughter" thing...that's a game changer. Love it.
    My first thought though was "the She-Ra and 200x fans are both gonna have a beef with this"

Quote Originally Posted by Dylamug View Post
    These were among my favorite things too.
    The big drop that the Teela we've been following was Teela-Na this whole time was nice. In retrospect, in should have probably been obvious since she was using the name "Sorceress", but I still thought this was a version of "normal" Teela rather than a version of her mom. I know it's not exactly that, per se, since they're doing the minicomic thing where Teela was less a daughter and more an aspect of a divided Sorceress, but I think you'll get what I'm trying to say.

My first thought though was "the She-Ra and 200x fans are both gonna have a beef with this"
    Not seen the episodes yet, but I called it from episode one that this was probably teela Na. I also thought young Duncan would be stranded in the past and become friends with a young randor , probably won't happen but I'll be watching this season after work tonight

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    It's funny how we went so long with the Faceless One as Evil-Lyn's father, then both shows that debuted in 2021, Rev to "some impoverished cannibal" and CGI to SPOILER YAY! Of course, now we need to know who on Eternia gave birth to her and how SPOILER got to her.

I just finished "season 3" and it was glorious! Not as good as "season 1," but close. Much closer than "season 2." This better not be the end as we need more from this series, hopefully for years to come!

I'm still processing everything and I probably should get some work done. I'll come back later to add in some pros and cons.
    Tweeterhead 1/5 Legends Statue Want List: Zodak (200X style), King Grayskull (Revelation style), He-Man 2.0 (or 200X King Grayskull), Tung Lashor, Rattlor, She-Ra 2.0

I like how closed captioning called it a "Hulk Clap."
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Queen of the evil Horde AlexisLasek's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    I like how closed captioning called it a "Hulk Clap."
    Lol yeah I noticed that as well. Made me go wow I guess its become a mainstream term lol.
    Changed my blog Alexis' Treasures!/ Finally updated the address, now takes you to my toy blog again!

Wow. I don't know what to say. These 8 episodes were awesome. It's a kids show so I don't really have too many complaints.

I binged all 8 episodes and I didn't take notes, so here's a collection of random thoughts that I can recall.

I love Robot Orko now that we've seen real Orko.

Orko the Great is probably my favorite MOTU design since 200x King Hsss and 200x Evil Lyn. I loved the mystical markings on his fingers.

Alan Oppenheimer as King Grayskull doing his Filmation Skeletor made me so happy.

The continued scenes between Randor and Adam are nicely done. Ditto on the scene between Randor and Cringer - Adam's two fathers.

Skeketor and Ram Maam together have chemistry. Very funny.

Merman was nicely designed and very powerful. The palm tentacles gave me a 200x Leech vibe.

The Snakemen were creepy and cool. I like the Rattlor design and classic colors.

They kept the Snakemen's fundamental link to King Grayskull.

God Skeletor looks awesome. I want a toy of that.

The moment where the Masters get turned into their netflix animated counterparts made me laugh. Revelations was complete garbage, but I'm sure if they had the rights to Filmation that's the version they'd have used. I was okay with it.

The final battle was epic and while it incorporated all the Masters, it kept the focus on He-Man and Skeletor as is proper. Revelations relegated Skeketor and He-Man to inconsequential after thoughts in the final battle.

"Shut up Justine".

I still fundamentally disagree with gender swapped Ram Man, but I do really love Krass/Ram Maam. Rampage is cool.

God and Dragon God Skeletor are awesome.

HORDAK!! Wow. Complete 200x vibes in the head design. Kevin Conroy voicing. I need Season 4.

Evil Lyn: Bats are my inner truth? I don't even like bats. 😂

Talon fighter is awesome. Love the classic colors.

Keldor being restored is very Adam/He-Man. The worst thing you could do to Skeketor.

No King Hsss? Boo!

--------------

Such an awesome series. I hope kids are digging it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, the "daughter" thing...that's a game changer. Love it.
    I'm a hardcore 200x fan, I'm fine with it.

This is its own thing. I'm okay with most of the changes even if I wouldn't have done them.

-------

That being said...daughter is kind of vague at this point. He could mean "Daughter of Horokoth" in the generic sense, which at this point I'd lean towards more than anything.

But hopefully we'll see.

Still enjoying this series, though I've only seen the first six so far. My wife said it best while we were watching - "I wish the people that wrote this show did Revelations instead."

Glad to see Stratos taking a back seat, wasn't fond of their interpretation of the character last season.

I really enjoyed Episode 6. Wallace Shawn voicing Orko was an inspired choice, though I do wish he was in the episode longer. I would've loved to hear Orko's theme song from Filmation, or a close enough version, at some point.

Mer-Man was really well done both in design and George Takei's performance.

Odd they didn't throw Tri-Klops into the Havoc to get an evil mech or something, but I guess they like the danger hat.

My biggest gripe with this season is the Snake Men. They are just utterly boring and a complete waste of time. I really would have liked to see more threatening villains resurrected instead of countless armies of generic snakes. Really just a missed opportunity, even having a resurrected Tung Lashor/Rattlor/Snake Face leading a group of generic soldiers would have been more compelling. The Sigil of Hiss was a pretty cool looking artifact, though.

Just saw the end. Orko and Tri-Klops are cute together.

But OMG HORDAK!! And here I thought the closed captioning was a typo when she said Wings of Hordak.

Now I really want a season 4. Especially if they manage to bring in my favorite villain to help out.

We all know he's playing Evil-Lyn though.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Widget
    Am I the only one who realized that the climax of season three was basically an adaptation of DC's Eternity War comic? At the very least this season was clearly heavily influenced by the DC comics...

So, the series continues? Season 4?
    Lord Hordak

This all sounds fabulous, I can't wait to watch the rest of the series! I also hope for more MOTU CGI and MOTU Reveletion!
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Just saw the end. Orko and Tri-Klops are cute together.

But OMG HORDAK!! And here I thought the closed captioning was a typo when she said Wings of Hordak.

Now I really want a season 4. Especially if they manage to bring in my favorite villain to help out.

We all know he's playing Evil-Lyn though.
    I think it's still a typo if the CC is saying "Wings of Hordak" because her attack is "Wings of Horokoth".

2 episodes in. Monstroid Armor Man-At-Arms is legit!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    2 episodes in. Monstroid Armor Man-At-Arms is legit!
    MotU reboots have been struggling since 2002 to turn Man-At-Arms into Iron Man. Looks like we finally made it.

Quote Originally Posted by MCX-Eternia View Post
    MotU reboots have been struggling since 2002 to turn Man-At-Arms into Iron Man. Looks like we finally made it.
    IMO that's one of the few things I liked about Revelations. MAA being a superbly capable and tactical warrior.

Looking forward to bingeing this series this weekend.
    It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.

Just finished the last two episodes. Now that is how you pull off a God Skeletor. I just can't get over how this season tackles some of the Revelations story beats and just outclasses the show that was supposedly for adults. This reimagining of the franchise has been a blast and while I don't like everything they've done, I'm really hoping we get another season order from Netflix.

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterVanHelsing View Post
    Am I the only one who realized that the climax of season three was basically an adaptation of DC's Eternity War comic? At the very least this season was clearly heavily influenced by the DC comics...
    Makes sense, its all Rob David.

Quote Originally Posted by MCX-Eternia View Post
    Works for me! I'm all about an MAA with multiple armor sets.

Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    Works for me! I'm all about an MAA with multiple armor sets.
    Yeah imagine that. The Master of weapons having multiple weapons....

Seriously though the armor change up is pretty cool even if I have issue with this version of the character. Bring on the Horde Trooper swarm armor.... please...

That was an excellent ending to this series.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Quote Originally Posted by 80's Enthusiast View Post
    Makes sense, its all Rob David.
    He is responsible for Eternity War, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and Masters of the Universe: Revelation. So it is endlessly amusing when people will remark that the creator of David Project A really should take notes from the creator of David Project B, because the creator of the latter really gets Masters of the Universe, whereas the creator of the former does not.

So many characters that I'm quite enamored with. I'm not a huge fan of the low detail designs, but the 3D action coupled with 2D explosion effects was neat.

Evelyn seemed a bit flip-floppy, but I suppose she's a cartoonishly messed up person who is self-serving and evil, yet it seems primarily driven by her own desire for freedom through power.

Wot did certainly catch my attention was how "My inner truth is a BAT?!" turned out to be an interesting touch of foreshadowing.

Krasstine is... Well, she's certainly Ram Man's modern reinterpretation, being a bit on the gullible and easily manipulated side, but I am pleased with the fact that, dim as she was, she slowly caught on that the price for Skeletor's help was growing just the tiniest bit too steep.

I kind of wished to know more about Justine and why she willingly stuck around the Dark Masters and seemed to be acting as a willing host for Tri-Klops.
    Heck, at one point when she gets so scared she puts Tri-Klops on just so she doesn't have to face the source of her fear.

However, I felt the upgrade giving Tri-Klops the ability to speak without a host felt like a waste; it would have been better as a character that primarily communicates through gestures and 'body language' of its eyes and tentacles.

I admit I was kind of pleased with Ork-0's journey in this season, and it was nice to see the little guy actually learn magic.
    I have mixed feelings about the real Orko being a screw-up though.
    I thought him being an actual powerful wizard that Ork-0 decided to diverge from in a bid to be an individual was undermined by this revelation.
    I admit I rather like the silly episodes in this series, like the train robbery, Skeletor's birthday and this season, Ork-0's journey towards growing as a magician.
    I think this is possibly my favourite iteration of the little fella.

Little touches amused me greatly, including disturbing touches like Orko's legs and what happens when the squeaky little turnip things can talk.
    My inner child was also very tickled by the bodyswapped Masters duffing up Tri-Klops in the background while Randor and Ork-0 are talking.

He-Man 'curing' Skeletor was something I felt was appropriate given his character.

It's a heartwarming little series and might be the one thing that would actually motivate me to keep my Netflix account.
    Last edited by binkibonsai; August 20, 2022 at 03:09pm.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.