Thread: Berenice of Macedonia!

Berenice of Macedonia!

Note to mods: Sorry I wasn't sure where else to put this...

I'm not much of a 7" figure collector; the greater majority of my other toys are either 5.5" or 6" figures.
    However, ages back I took a shining to MotU Classics' She-Ra, who sat, awkward and lonely on my shelf as she towered above her peers.

However recently one figure caught my eye; Berenice of Macedonia, a gladiatrix from Xesray Studios' Combatants: Fight for Glory, an original line based on a fantasy version of ancient Rome. Also, Classics She-Ra's new shelf buddy!

My thoughts?

Pros:
    - Beautiful sculpting; a nice blend of attractive form and athletic prowess; powerful while still retaining a beautifully feminine shape. Her equipment is very detailed. down to the texture of the leather to the carvings in her shield and pauldron.

- Good paint applications; flat colors highlighted by drybrushing as well as metallic accents painted with a steady hand makes this figure's paintwork extremely neat despite its simplicity. The coats are even and thus far I have yet to see any flaws (there was one slight dot of gold in the wrong place on the armor but I don't even remember where it is now).

- Great articulation; the Chinese seem to have picked up some excellent tricks from the Yanks and Japs and have melded them together in an amazing hybrid.
    I know this is gonna make me sound pervy as hell, but the hip to arse join is the most amazing part, merging the buttcheek with the leg and a segmented inner joint to create more seamless posing. This girl's arse is a work of art.

- Amazing engineering: Also, the engineering seems to account for paint in the joints and there doesn't seem to be any friction as I move her parts around. However to err on the side of caution I disassembled her (she pops apart at the abdomen) and gave each part a spritz of matte varnish, removing any frosting with a light coat of olive oil. The joints are tight and yet easily movable, holding poses well. Her center of gravity is also well done, allowing her to easily pose without the help of a stand.

Cons:
    - Face paint applications; while she has a really nicely sculpted face, the paint applications were very flat; her lips are the exact same color as her skin and the result is dull and safe. Personally this isn't a real issue as I can spruce up those details with a fine brush and a thin coat of mixed paint, less creatively-inclined people might take issue with such a beautiful face sculpt lacking a paint job to really bring it out.

- Unnecessary paint applications: Every square inch of her skin is painted in flat tones. If they were going to do that, wouldn't it have been better (and cheaper) to just cast the figure in plastic of the appropriate color?

- Minor QC issue: They forgot to paint her left foot. Fortunately it's not that noticeable since the plastic is the same color as the paint (which again, leads me to wonder why they bothered painting her skin in the first place)

Overall wot few gripes I had are ultimately non-issues for most collectors and I would rate Berenice, Spear of Macedonia a solid 4 out of 5.

She also comes with some extra weapons, which allowed me to arm my Masterverse She-Ra after she lost her sword and shield to me Horde She-Ra Origins custom.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.

Their swords are clearly derived from King Leonidas' sword from the movie 300.
    Last edited by Neophron; September 26, 2022 at 08:07pm.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Quote Originally Posted by Neophron View Post
    Their swords are clearly derived from King Leonidas' sword from the movie 300.
    Well she is supposed to be Macedonian, so it makes sense that her sword is Greek.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.