Thread: House of the Dragon

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar

House of the Dragon

I'm kind of surprised no one else has made a thread for the show yet, so I figured I'd make one. It's probably a little late to just now be making a thread now that we're 70% through, but whatever. I remember posting many years ago in the old Game of Thrones thread that they should Dance of the Dragons if they do a spinoff, and here we are!

So what are people's thoughts on the show? I'd especially like to know what people who haven't read the source material think. Personally, I've been largely pleased with the show, although there have been some questionable choices made.

Heroic Warrior
    I havenít read the books, I hadnít read the GoT books either. I felt like GoT was ruined by its final season and it made me almost regret spending the time watching it. I very nearly thought I wasnít going to bother watching HoD at all.
    Iím not overly loving the series so far, a lot has happened but really nothing has happened at all. The story has moved on over a decade yet I feel like we have seen very little on screen, no big battles or fights, very little dragon action. It seems more like a fantasy version of a royal soap. Also there are no real likeable characters in it, Iím not rooting for anyone to gain the throne. That being said something draws me back to it every week and I suspect will do every series. I guess itís me just hoping something big will happen cos Iím a sucker for a big battle or sword fight.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Yeah, GoT really became a dumpster fire after they diverged from the books (which was before they ran out of book content). For me, GoT had serious problems long before the last season.

I can totally understand your perspective about "a lot has happened but really nothing has happened at all." It's kind of funny how transitioning from one medium to another, and more importantly from one format to another changes the length. The source material was told as historical accounts from sources whose reliability was dubious. The entirety of the story was only a little over 100 pages. Presenting the story as a narrative, however, will probably be three television seasons of material. The entire first season will likely just be getting all the players established and in place for the upcoming war.

Ironically, I and other book readers I've heard/read commenting on the show feel like they're kind of racing through the pre-Dance period.