Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Origins ETERNIA Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Not saying I know for sure how your account will work but I've been using Paypal for my Mattel purchases. Usually gives me the option of 4 payments OR 6 months, no interest, on purchases over $100 (i think).
    If it works for you, I should be fine as well, unless there are other regulations I have to be approved for that I'm not aware of! ASAIK, I still have a good credit last time I checked.
    BTW, what's the difference between 4 installments and 6 months? Is the 6 months option = 6 installments?
    Creativity is addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    So I work in a business where we buy tooling on the regular, for parts much more heavy duty than plastics. It's not as high as what you guys are speculating.

And I don't know if they own foundries but I'd be very surprised to hear they don't at least do some of their own machining. If you go to their corporate site it lists a ton of locations around the world with many job openings:

https://corporate.mattel.com/careers/locations

I have to think they have production plants based on these locations and the type of job openings they have listed.

- - - Updated - - -

Very good! Yeah, I'm in the process of figuring out what I'm going to give up so that this doesn't hit our Christmas budget
    This is very intriguing and relevant information to hear, because so often the company line is "well the tooling just costs too much" blah blah - it's an easy go-to when they know most customers have no idea how much they are actually talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Stridor83 View Post
    This is very intriguing and relevant information to hear, because so often the company line is "well the tooling just costs too much" blah blah - it's an easy go-to when they know most customers have no idea how much they are actually talking about.
    It's usually propagated by smaller companies to illustrate why they're charging so much on some of their products. Yes tooling cost money, but it also depends on where you shop, the type of products and the the scheduling/timing, not just the material or labor.
    Fans just take everything for granted especially when they see someone conducting an interview by a likable host or a maker.

Bigger companies on the other hand usually dictate how the business runs especially when using factories and facilities overseas, and some have their own, and others use their own machineries operated by certain factories which they have longterm relations with. So, not all are equal, and things differ from one location to another.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the shipping fees added to the total cost:

ME15F5KX_o.png
    So basically here in the US, it's gonna cost $607 total plus taxes of your state.
    Last edited by Darkkosis; October 5, 2022 at 11:43pm.
    Creativity is addictive.

This is a huge chunk o' change....

Is there anything else coming with it other than Randor?

Any stretch goals?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkkosis View Post
    It's usually propagated by smaller companies to illustrate why they're charging so much on some of their products. Yes tooling cost money, but it also depends on where you shop, the type of products and the the scheduling/timing, not just the material or labor.
    Fans just take everything for granted especially when they see someone conducting an interview by a likable host or a maker.

Bigger companies on the other hand usually dictate how the business runs especially when using factories and facilities overseas, and some have their own, and others use their own machineries operated by certain factories which they have longterm relations with. So, not all are equal, and things differ from one location to another.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the shipping fees added to the total cost:

ME15F5KX_o.png
    So basically here in the US, it's gonna cost $607 total plus taxes of your state.
    There is no justification for those European prices. It's disgraceful. The euro is at parity with the dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post

Any stretch goals?
    You mean King Grayskull? Nothing was announced as of this post I'm afraid

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak’s Emissary View Post
    There is no justification for those European prices. It's disgraceful. The euro is at parity with the dollar.
    Yup, that's awful, and I don't if duties were included in those surcharges, or Europeans still have to add to that!?
    Creativity is addictive.

Heroic Warrior
    I don't know about that. Have you seen what it costs to send anything from the US these days? Postage on a single Origins figure with a tight box is generally USD $25 - $30 at best. And this is going to be an absolutely huge box. 200 Euros seems a bit much, but it isn't without justification.

You mean King Grayskull? Nothing was announced as of this post I'm afraid
    D'oh!

Yes, I meant Grayskull!

I was hoping for some more extras... especially for the price.

We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    I don't know about that. Have you seen what it costs to send anything from the US these days? Postage on a single Origins figure with a tight box is generally USD $25 - $30 at best. And this is going to be an absolutely huge box. 200 Euros seems a bit much, but it isn't without justification.
    This is a sales and distribution problem for Mattel to fix. I presume the set is fabricated in China or Vietnam, then shipped to the US, then shipped from there to Europe. Which is wasteful and inefficient. Why not ship directly to the customer from a distribution point in Asia? It’s absurd.

D'oh!

Yes, I meant Grayskull!

I was hoping for some more extras... especially for the price.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/05...g?v=1664855719
    A LOT of people are currently complaining online about the huge price, and we still have another 6 days for the campaign to start, so we might see some incentives added or some price reduction or what have you.

Remember that Mattel is asking for a minimum of 5000 backers paying a minimum of $600 each, so that's $3000,000.00 (3 Million) upfront just to start the campaign! I don't know if it will go though to be honest, unless some retailers/resellers will buy multiples for future investments.

My simple math of how this should cost:
    Back in the 80's Castle Grayskul was about $20, and Eternia was $90, so that's about 4.5 times as much than CG was. Now CG's MSRP is $80, so this new Eternia should cost around 80 x 4.5 = $360 give or take, then if you add more inflation, direct to consumer and whatnot extra fees, it shouldn't be more than $400 + (again, give or take).
    Creativity is addictive.

A LOT of people are currently complaining online about the huge price, and we still have another 6 days for the campaign to start, so we might see some incentives added or some price reduction or what have you.

Remember that Mattel is asking for a minimum of 5000 backers paying a minimum of $600 each, so that's $3000,000.00 (3 Million) upfront just to start the campaign! I don't know if it will go though to be honest, unless some retailers/resellers will buy multiples for future investments.

My simple math of how this should cost:
    Back in the 80's Castle Grayskul was about $20, and Eternia was $90, so that's about 4.5 times as much than CG was. Now CG's MSRP is $80, so this new Eternia should cost around 80 x 4.5 = $360 give or take, then if you add more inflation, direct to consumer and whatnot extra fees, it shouldn't be more than $400 + (again, give or take).
    There is a huge Barbie Dreamhouse by Mattel that is around $200 retail, including the store´s markup. People seem to forget that Mattel is selling directly on mattelcreations. Makes the 600 bucks look even worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Any stretch goals?
    Nope. Even worse, if you dont put down cash in the first week you wont even get the King Grayskull. (Lame figure anyway but …)

950€ for Europeans!!!! 1070 $ for Canadians!!!!

Yeah, I'm done. Thanks but no thanks. Feels like I'm buying from eBay instead of directly from Mattel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 0RK0; October 6, 2022 at 02:45am.

Quote Originally Posted by ZexisStryfe View Post
    Steel molds for something like this are likely in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
    Not sure where these fantasy numbers are coming from. " hundreds of thousands of dollars" will buy you a house. We are talking about a stupid low-tech mold here. The process is been around since plastic toys were invented.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 0RK0 View Post
    950€ for Europeans!!!! 1070 $ for Canadians!!!!

https://www.planeteternia.de/grafike...022/377124.jpg
    Awesome, close to 1k EUR now in this economy. Maybe they want this to fail, I dont know...

Heroic Warrior
    This is a sales and distribution problem for Mattel to fix. I presume the set is fabricated in China or Vietnam, then shipped to the US, then shipped from there to Europe. Which is wasteful and inefficient. Why not ship directly to the customer from a distribution point in Asia? It’s absurd.
    I presume they will be sending directly from the US as with previous Mattel Creations items.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    There is a huge Barbie Dreamhouse by Mattel that is around $200 retail, including the store´s markup. People seem to forget that Mattel is selling directly on mattelcreations. Makes the 600 bucks look even worse.
    Barbie has a huge market in comparison to MOTU, so that won't fly with the supporters, especially those who keep bringing the ebay prices argument of the vintage Eternia set!
    But yeah, the bottom line is, this is a "taking advantage of the situation price gouging" type of deal that shouldn't be happening with a billion-dollar toy company like Mattel, but sadly these days, all these big corps are jumping on that wagon as long as people are willing to pay for it.
    Creativity is addictive.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    I presume they will be sending directly from the US as with previous Mattel Creations items.
    The price details in the image quoted above factors-in shipping to Europe at 200 USD, so we can think of shipping as another matter.
    The unit price itself is 550 USD for a US customer, but 750 euro for a European customer. And as mentioned the euro and dollar are at parity. Again, there is no justification for this.

Quote Originally Posted by ToyCulture View Post
    Not sure where these fantasy numbers are coming from. " hundreds of thousands of dollars" will buy you a house. We are talking about a stupid low-tech mold here. The process is been around since plastic toys were invented.
    The information comes directly from Mattel. Scott "Spector" Neitlich said as much when he was in charge of MOTU Classics. He confirmed (on the Roast Gooble Dinner podcast) that the steel moulds are extremely expensive and very large, especially for big playsets like Castle Grayskull.

Bryan Flynn at Super7 said the same thing during the production of the Snake Mountain playset.

Heroic Warrior Ultimate Sorceress's Avatar
    So it seems like the Eternia playset can't be sent to Australia?!
    Thankfully, I organised a shipping service with myus.com but I suspect the shipping will be expensive :/

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Sorceress View Post
    So it seems like the Eternia playset can't be sent to Australia?!
    Thankfully, I organised a shipping service with myus.com but I suspect the shipping will be expensive :/
    It probably can. It's just not included in the table.

It could be they haven't worked out what the surcharge will be yet, or it could be that they only included the countries they most often ship to in the table.

I would expect it to be the $34.95 shipping charge for 10lbs and up + whatever surcharge they come up with for Australia.

Court Magician
    I don't think that price list includes the possible customs fee at the border, making it cost even more for international shipping.

Edit: Also $550 US is $753 Canadian. That's one hell of a markup.
    Last edited by Skelegod; October 6, 2022 at 10:02am.

Any stretch goals?
    Mattel's Instagram post announcing it on Tuesday said "unlock all tiers," so I take that to mean that there will be stretch goals. Plus, they did stretch goals with the WWE ring, so there's a precedence.

If it works for you, I should be fine as well, unless there are other regulations I have to be approved for that I'm not aware of! ASAIK, I still have a good credit last time I checked.
    BTW, what's the difference between 4 installments and 6 months? Is the 6 months option = 6 installments?
    So the 4 installments I'm not sure about whether or not you pay interest (I would assume not). You'd pay a fourth of your total each month till it was paid off.

The 6 month deal means you can pay towards the bill any time you want, as low as the minimum monthly payment, without being charged interest if paid within 6 months. If you don't make the 6 month mark though be aware you'll get charged ALL the interest you would have, not just on the remaining balance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stridor83 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, tooling is not cheap by any means. But it's not as exspenive as some of the numbers being thrown around. At least it shouldn't be for a company of Mattel's size. Like someone mentioned above, if they can make this:

Barbie dream.jpg

And sell it for $200 to make a profit, it shouldn't cost them an arm and a leg to do Eternia.

But hey, I'm buying one no matter what. Hoping a few more extras while be added to sweeten the deal. Hardest part was selling this as my "x-mas" present for this year and then explaining I won't get it till after next Christmas
    “It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”

Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    The information comes directly from Mattel. Scott "Spector" Neitlich said as much when he was in charge of MOTU Classics. He confirmed (on the Roast Gooble Dinner podcast) that the steel moulds are extremely expensive and very large, especially for big playsets like Castle Grayskull.

Bryan Flynn at Super7 said the same thing during the production of the Snake Mountain playset.
    I highly doubt Scotts repeated estimate for tooling. Remember, this is also the guy telling us Mattel will "lose the license for Masters of the Universe soon". Ok …

For me it comes down to if a payment plan will be offered, and how far it can be spread out, because I'm not really interested in dropping a grand all at once for something I won't see for a year and a half.

This coming from someone who spent $250 just on Lodar, $220 on Wrap Trap, and $500 for the 4 William Stout figures...

Not really sure what the price difference reasoning is for Canada. $550 USD is currently converting to about $755 CAD, so there a difference of $130 there alone, even before doubling the shipping fee and more than tripling the surcharge. All that is before paying customs and duties, which I feel it's safe to say will happen when the purchase is over $1000 and that large. Currency fluctuations are one thing, but this feels like someone is keeping a heavy hand on the scale.

Edit: the page seems to say it includes taxes and duties, so I guess it shouldn't balloon any further than that. I guess that's something reasonable.
    Last edited by battle_cat; October 6, 2022 at 12:25pm.