Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: 3D print MOTU vehicles project

  1. #1
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17

    3D print MOTU vehicles project

    Hello, I'm relatively new to the forums but I actually come from the Transformers community forums where I've done several customs there. But due to Masterverse it has allowed me to get into MOTU and one thing I loved about MOTU when I was a kid was the vehicles. I guess it's my engineer brain. So while I'm learning more about modeling..I've taken up a project to recreate MOTU vehicles for 3D printing. I don't see too many appealing 3D prints out there. These will be at the 7 inch scale. I'm not a professional..I've only been modeling casually for 2 years. Once I finish a complete 3D print I'll make them available. I only have a Prusa mini to help me print so this will take some time. I'll post renders of my projects below. I'm not aiming for accurate recreations of the toy. I've been combing through Battle Ram blog and I base my modeling heavily on conceptual drawings and my own personal styling. I may even take on a unproduced concept vehicle eventually.

    Road Ripper - Nearly complete, in the process of printing for testing. I think I have it scaled pretty good atm. It's going to be almost as big as the classics Battle Ram.
    Road-Ripper-roger-sweet-1536x885.jpg

    Road Ripper v23.jpg

    Road Ripper.png


    Attak Trak (modeling in progress)
    Last edited by MrUniqZ; April 11, 2023 at 12:32am.

  2. #2
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Here is a test print I didÖIíve scaled up the vehicle body about 10 percent from this.
    77B96B88-819D-4400-9132-5C5EF872CD1D.jpg

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Iluvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,088
    That's pretty cool.

  4. #4
    Evil Coonass nickdoobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    842
    Looks badass. What program are you using to make the models?
    Hit me up on instagram @NickDoobsCreations

  5. #5
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Thanks! If anyone has the ability to provide good/clear reference pics of MOTU vehicles that greatly speeds up modeling. I make use of side/top/back/front/bottom photos. It's best if they are level. Atleast one angled photo from the corner.

    I'm using Fusion 360. I kind of cut my teeth in Tinkercad..lol. But Fusion has helped me take on more complex modeling like these.

    ATM I'm working on Atack Trak and it's a bear b/c there are very few high definition photos of the toy at good angles. But it's coming along.

    My technique is to use the orginal toy as a dimensional guide and basically scale it up as needed. A professional would probably use a scratch/prototype mock up to figure out dimensions but I'm using toy photos as a shortcut. That Road Ripper is actually scaled to a side profile scan of the original toy.

    My utlimate goal is to complete a Roton and Battle Ram(luckily I own these as a reference)..but I don't want to go to far out there w/ promises. I still have alot to learn.

    Untitled v17.jpg
    Last edited by MrUniqZ; April 11, 2023 at 10:03am.

  6. #6
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    6,320
    I take it your selling these down the road?

  7. #7
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    I take it your selling these down the road?
    Yes but most likely the model for the cost of a fast food combo. I know a lot of people prefer to buy prints because people don't have printers. If I did..it would be in a put together kit. But it's something I haven't tried before and I have no way of gauging interest.

  8. #8
    The First Avenger Megalodon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Golden Age
    Posts
    6,320
    Quote Originally Posted by MrUniqZ View Post
    Yes but most likely the model for the cost of a fast food combo. I know a lot of people prefer to buy prints because people don't have printers. If I did..it would be in a put together kit. But it's something I haven't tried before and I have no way of gauging interest.

    Or could sell the file too they do it all the time on Shapeways etc.

  9. #9
    master of accessories facet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,434
    Yeah honestly i would love to see the attack track first and foremost as we have the driver for it already and the road ripper would be great as well.

  10. #10
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Yea I'm excited to work on the Attak Trak ..it was one of the first MOTU vehicles I thought was cool but my cousin had one..I didn't. I had the Road Ripper, Roton, Spydor..and a few others I forgot. But the AT is coming along..the front area is super complex but I've gotten through a majority of it. I saw a few simple vehicles I could tackle next. What is going to take me the longest are the creature vehicles..because I'm still learning more abstract character modeling. These are easier because I'm just smashing together geometric shapes.

    Here is what I have done w/ the AT so far.
    attaktrak.png
    Last edited by MrUniqZ; April 13, 2023 at 02:09am.

  11. #11
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Size looks just about right for the Road Ripper. Once Iím done with the main body printÖIíll add handlebars and seat pad since I need a full figure to get the orientation right. I have port holes on the body to assist with this(a feature frequently on transformers).

    1E6911BF-0C61-47A8-B9FE-4A5EEB5A4CF6.jpg

  12. #12
    master of accessories facet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,434
    Quote Originally Posted by MrUniqZ View Post
    Size looks just about right for the Road Ripper. Once Iím done with the main body printÖIíll add handlebars and seat pad since I need a full figure to get the orientation right. I have port holes on the body to assist with this(a feature frequently on transformers).

    1E6911BF-0C61-47A8-B9FE-4A5EEB5A4CF6.jpg
    That looks great, well done

  13. #13
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    My printer was being difficult so I'll probably resume printing during the week. In the meantime I have an attak trak modeled out.. Some things may be adjusted and it still needs some scale adjustments for 7 inch..but it's roughly proportional to the original toy. Printing will be the main bottleneck atm..before I can determine if a model is ready for prime time.

    attaktrak.jpg
    Last edited by MrUniqZ; April 16, 2023 at 04:09pm.

  14. #14
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,897
    Very cool! Good luck with your efforts. This is great and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

  15. #15
    master of accessories facet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,434
    Quote Originally Posted by MrUniqZ View Post
    My printer was being difficult so I'll probably resume printing during the week. In the meantime I have an attak trak modeled out.. Some things may be adjusted and it still needs some scale adjustments for 7 inch..but it's roughly proportional to the original toy. Printing will be the main bottleneck atm..before I can determine if a model is ready for prime time.

    attaktrak.jpg
    Wow that looks amazing

  16. #16
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Still moving along..took a shot at a Laser Bolt which should be able to fit a splayed out 7 inch figure. Still printing the Road Ripper atm.

    lasterbolt.jpg

  17. #17
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17
    Renders of things done since the last post. The last vehicle I'll work on before making these public is the BattleRam. After that..my original goal will be reached and I'll try to take on the more bizzare ones like Bashasaurus.

    Roton

    https://i.imgur.com/Kjm3stI.png

    Landshark
    https://i.imgur.com/FiqUcKM.png

  18. #18
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    17

    Battle Ram

    Battle Ram in the works and mostly done. Also made Roton and Landshark updates. The Battle Ram and Roton have swappable faces. This will complete phase1 of the project. I'll be preparing to release each set over the coming months w/ minor adjustments as needed.

    Battle Ram
    https://i.imgur.com/HHJKABC.png

    https://i.imgur.com/dyAZZLd.png

    https://i.imgur.com/2zfSg7a.png

    https://i.imgur.com/pYgRGa5.png

    https://i.imgur.com/Txmgznk.png

    Land Shark
    https://i.imgur.com/FiqUcKM.png

    https://i.imgur.com/9eU7PSi.png

    Roton
    https://i.imgur.com/yrrzXp7.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/Svsc1va.png

    https://i.imgur.com/Kjm3stI.png
    Last edited by MrUniqZ; June 2, 2023 at 12:10pm.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior TigerBlade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    163
    Quote Originally Posted by MrUniqZ View Post
    Battle Ram in the works and mostly done. Also made Roton and Landshark updates. The Battle Ram and Roton have swappable faces. This will complete phase1 of the project. I'll be preparing to release each set over the coming months w/ minor adjustments as needed.

    Battle Ram
    https://i.imgur.com/HHJKABC.png

    https://i.imgur.com/dyAZZLd.png

    https://i.imgur.com/2zfSg7a.png

    https://i.imgur.com/pYgRGa5.png

    https://i.imgur.com/Txmgznk.png

    Land Shark
    https://i.imgur.com/FiqUcKM.png

    https://i.imgur.com/9eU7PSi.png

    Roton
    https://i.imgur.com/yrrzXp7.jpg

    https://i.imgur.com/Svsc1va.png

    https://i.imgur.com/Kjm3stI.png

    These are fantastic bud!

    I've always wanted to get the rest of the vintage vehicles at classics scale! 2 questions, will you be doing Spydor? Where will you be uploading/selling the files as I'm in for pretty much the set. Just need to finish a 300% Granamyr print first.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •