Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MOTU Vol.2 #3 - Official Talk Back *SPOILERS*

Pollex Christi
    It's an interesting theory that the "wrong" Duncan returned.

However, I also like the idea, already pitched around a little bit, that time in the warp passes differently so that he may have spent days, weeks, or even years on the other side. This would then explain how his armor was fixed, &c. I think I tend to favor this view over the other....

Slightly Off-Topic: As for Loeb's Batman - it's the first time I've picked up Batman in years. I will say I find his dialog to be so-so, but at least he has me intrigued so I can forgive that. And Lee's artwork is great.

Back On-Topic:

Val: Yeah, I know that every story has been told a million times before. Maybe it's just because I'm such a sci-fi and comic nut that whenever a mirror universe/alternate universe story pops up I can help but groan a little. THAT being said, since every story has been done, all you can really hope to do is tell the same kind of story with as much style and smarts as possible, and whatever the outcome of the story that's something MOTU has in spades.

P.S. - I saw MOTU in a Waldenbooks today. I thought that was cool, as it means that it's getting out the masses a bit more.
    Upcoming MOTU-inspired Graphic Novel: www.eonquest.com

I liked the story. I like the two ongoing mysteries at the same time, although I have a feeling they may be related eventually. For the whole book I was thinking Horde. The only line to throw me off was He-man will kill us all. But could it be that MAA was just brain washed? Serving the Horde or whoever is on the otherside? If it's not Etheria on the other side, could it be Infinitia? In the early versions of the classic line it was the "sister" planet of Eternia and the home of Skeletor.....who is now Keldor here. This could have a Keldor origin coming, which would explain why he doens't have an IOE book. Also, could it be we're all right? But now Faker works for Hordak?? June 25th......

PS wouldn't it be funny if the "He-man will kill us all" line was a typo? "He may kill us all!" "He might kill us all" Probably not, but good luck explaining that one LOL.

The Dark Knight BigDaddy Grayskull's Avatar
    awesome as always
    By The Power of.... BigDaddy!!

"If you will not hear the Truth, no one can tell you."

Batman:YTB Batman...Yesterday, Today and Beyond! Home of the Internet's Biggest and Best website and forum regarding Batman!

.Org Wrestling Discussion WWE,TNA and whatever else youd like to talk about. The absolute greatest discussion forum for wrestling fans.. ever!

Faker? and... more pages, PLEASE

ok, there was more plot happening in each episode of MOTU the old series... we don't HAVE to have these excrutiating cliff hangers EVERY issue LOL

We are all going to buy the comic no matter what the ending is... I just felt like this issue didn't have anything in it... there were three pages of art for a VERY short conversation between Adam and Teela - that's great, but there could have been more... maybe cut it off somewhere in the battle with the Bat-Avions... I am more of a story/plot fan, but more action would have at least made this issue FEEL like a full issue... for some reason, it only felt like a few pages...

and, I think it's way too early for the Horde to show up... I have a feeling that this whole other dimension/Scheinidor altar thing is probably related to the Horde, but in this case I think it has to do with the mirror world... perhaps Infinita, perhaps not... but that conversation between Adam and teela where she says she does not want this life, and basically reasserts the fact that Skeletor hasn't been a threat for that long, makes me think we have a while to go before we get Adora/Hordak...

I totally think it is going to be a Faker He-man type thing... but this time they will make Faker more interesting... after all, he was pretty lame in the old series/comics...

Don't get me wrong.
    Loeb is a skilled writer.
    It just doesn't appeal to me.
    His writing obviously appeals to MANY others.

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    Now watch, this thread will end up in Wizard next month completely exaggerated to something like "He-man writer calls Loeb a hack!"

Dr. Omega

Member of the Royal Family JimmyPSHayes's Avatar
    talk,talk,talk...Jeph Loeb this....Batman that....why hasn't anyone commented about the BACK COVER?
    JOHNBOY MEYERS RULES!!!!!!!! I wanna see him draw Stinkor next!!! This issue kicked butt. Good job to EVERYONE involoved.

Originally posted by JVS3
    RedBaron:

I guess it just depends on how the individual voices the dialogue, or simply, how they read.

For example, Loeb's work on Batman, to me is choppy, limited in characterization, watered down and is simply a showcase for Lee to draw all of the characters in the Gotham world.
    His Highroads story was similar to me.. hard to follow, a limited flow, but good characterization.

Seeing different opinions about dialogue makes me wonder how the individual perceives the story, or the interaction of characters, or how pacing works for others.
    That's very true, Val. A lot of the time, how dialouge is perceived rests very much on the reader and his/her tastes and current mood.

Also, Loeb actually hasn't been that great in his current writings. I was actually thinking of "Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory".

I'm sorry, thus far, that my writing style hasn't worked for you... and I completely understand because you have certain likes and dislikes which make you unique.
    My comments about dialouge aren't directed at all the MOTU comics as a whole. In fact, I really enjoyed the dialouge in the Shard of Darkness series (especially between Evil-Lyn and He-Man and Trap-Jaw and Tri-Klops). For some reason I just wasn't feeling the dialouge this time around.

----------------------

I have my own theories on a mirror universe type world. It's probably not what Val's doing but I was mulling over this idea for a while as a fan-fiction idea.

I like to imagine a world where Keldor is not evil. In my imaginings, he's Randor's half brother and a magician. Orko doesn't exist so Keldor is the court magician. He takes in Prince Adam as a student but Adam is very cruel, irresponsible, and power-hungry. He uses Keldor's teachings and then leaves his studies to persue dark-magic. Eventually Adam (now the Dark-Prince Adam) tries to seize the thrown. To stop the Dark-Prince Adam's assult, the Sorceress embues Keldor with the powers of Grayskull to become He-Man.

Obviously this doesn't quite match up with evidence of what might happen in the comics thus far.

Has anyone ever considered this is not a mirror MAA but perhaps a MAA who got rocketed into the future and saw He-Man make some mistake that would "kill us all"?
    Last edited by RedBaron; May 30, 2003 at 10:24pm.
    ----------
    The Zed Word: Zombie Blog
    Zombie movie reviews and news
    http://www.zedwordblog.blogspot.com

Etheria VS Mirror Dimension?

I really was thinking that he went to Etheria, I mean the connection of the temple with Hordack's minions in stone, the dimensional portal, as well as the comment about the rebels all seem to point that direction...

But with Man At Arms screaming out He-Man will kill us all, and the birdman turning into bat warriors really move towards the mirror dimension.

I don't think this is a fake Man At Arms... but i could be wrong.
    I kind wouldnt want Faker in another dimension, but who knows about that either.

It is interesting that the Horde is coming out so early, but then again by the time this series is over... the Horde may or may not be in season 3, so the connection would make sense. Who knows. all this speculation is killing me.

I learned not to tell the story of how I want it, so that I wont be disappointed, so i will just be happy with what ever comes out of this.
    I am the center of my own Universe!

Heroic Warrior of Avion
    Originally posted by JimmyPSHayes
    talk,talk,talk...Jeph Loeb this....Batman that....why hasn't anyone commented about the BACK COVER?
    JOHNBOY MEYERS RULES!!!!!!!! I wanna see him draw Stinkor next!!!

Jimmy, how much did Jonboy pay you to say that?

Seriously, though, I thought his cover turned out great. And Tony Washington did a fab job with the colors, too! Good work all around!

Take care,
    Leanne

Darn you, Val!

Why was the issue so good?!?! It was AWESOME! Best comic of the week! And this is no simply feat. It was up against Batman's "Hush," X-Treme X-Men's "God Loves, Man Kills 2," Uncanny X-Men's "Holy War" and a slew of other books. But this comic - Masters of the Univrse # 3 - was the best of the week.

The scene with Teela and Adam nearly had me in tears. It was so emotional. And then Adam groaning about having to contact He-Man so that He-Man can go out and not Adam - PERFECTION!

Promise me something - NEVER STOP WRITING THIS BOOK!

~W~
    Tales of Masters of the Universe
    The story of Masters of the Universe - spanning from Skeletor's origin to the final fate of He-Man!
    Masters of the Universe: New Legacy
    Find out what happened after the 200x series! Featuring stories and artwork from throughout the fan community!

WANTED: Snake Mountain stands, Wind Raider, and the Griffen

Val, everyone seems to like the Adam/Teela interaction. It makes me think that there should be more of these moments Its just a thought.
    Obey the whip! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-039.gif

Smile like you mean it.

All over California and coming to your neighborhood soon, so be afraid!

Regardless of change, it's ultimately going to be up to the individual to read something that appeals to them.
    ...but, um, don't expect Loeb on MOTU any time soon.
    Loeb is just an A$$ i see him every Wednsday at my friends Shop tring to push his bookes.his got his nose up in the air like his some kind of a movie star. i would stop reading Masters if he wrote it ,his work is not that great. Val your doing a great job keep up the good work, Emiliano and Enza Great art work i love it . cant wait to get another sketch from you guys in San Diego . Thanks Greg
    Last edited by AnnnaMot; May 31, 2003 at 02:19am.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Funny, I just picked up Loeb's Batman and the new MOTU issues.

On the review.

I think you and Emiliano are growing as comic book writers and artist. The issues are getting better and better. On the top of my head, I can see some dialogue that can be cut. I'm a believer in the rule of scene writing. "Enter late, leave early"

What I means is when we are sent to Avion and Stratos is talking about how great the city is. I thought that was kind of a lame dialogue starter. It could have been cut down to Stratos talking about how even though they are at high alert, the people are still going about their business. I think that was the point you were trying to make here, but its really so indirect. It could have been cut down a few panels and instead show how the people of Avion reacted to this attack. It gets the point across and adds a little more action.

But then again, dialogue has been my main problem so far with the issues. It seems that that they talk so indirect that its sometimes makes what they say bland and unreal. I think you should think about doing more direct approaches in conversation. Another classic writers take "Cut the fat and get to the meat"
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

bskcase:

I was trying to help set the stage for the first time you see Avion and Stratos, and am trying to help identify the reader with their personalities.

Everyone here, of course, knows about Avion and Stratos. Many other readers may not be so familiar.
    With He-Man, most people know his tale and I took that for granted. But, the casual fan probably remembers Stratos in the sense that he could fly and that's about it.

If I was to follow what you were suggesting, we'd have a splash page of Stratos going "WHAT IT ALL OF---" with a big magical explosion and that's it.
    We've entered way too late, and left way too early.

By your own rule, I did enter late and leave early.
    We came into a conversation, and we left without knowing exactly what would happen next at Avion.

I'd much rather the reader be involved with what happened than to have Stratos give a long winded coversation about what happened at the palace and not connecting the danger to the reader that we get with the Avion scene.

We hear both opinions... people want to get right to what's going on, others tell us we need to explain more about the characters and establish them further.

That's what was going through my head, anyway.
    It may or may not be working. I stick w'ich what I knows!
    Well, I guess it's not working completely. You wouldn't be giving me feedback if it was 100%

Son of Thunder
    Well, I guess it's not working completely. You wouldn't be giving me feedback if it was 100%
    Art is subjective. Everyone has a different opinion. For every comic that someone loathes, someones else loves.

I don't think you'll ever reach 100%. That's not an attack on your abilities. I don't think any artist/writer/actor will ever achieve perfection. But, that's good news for fans because it means the comic will keep getting better and better.

As a fan, I think its fantastic that you listen to fans and respond. But you also have to temper fans opinions with your own artisitc instinct, which you have done well.

SoT

Stratos88
    About time we get to see Stratos. It was great to see Hawk. I really like the way this story is going. Faker.

Love it!

I just got it today. I managed to avoid this thread till I could get it. And I'm glad I did!
    Jonboy, You da MAN! Love that backcover, love those colors too Tony!

Now I've not read all the posts here, but has anyone else an eye for detail? Look closely at Man-At-Arm's armor. There's a definate reason in the story somewhere as to why he has no bandage on his arm. I can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve Val. GREAT STUFF!

Enza, your work is beautiful! I can't wait to see more from you.
    You and Emiliano are of the best MOTU has ever seen! I hold you guys up there with Alcala and Texeria, Norem and George.

Thanks MV and crew. This is one happy fan.

Greatful his pants are on bskcase's Avatar
    Val,

I understand that you are trying to get readers to get to know the characters and such. What I meant about the dialogue is that in telling a comic book story, the reader reads and sees the flow of the story. When a question about what is going on appears, then the flow gets dragged.

My point about it was, "Why was Stratos talking to Hawk about how great Avion is?" If he was talking to a visitor like Buzz-Off or somebody else, that would have made more sense. Stratos is giving a tour. A reader doesn't have to think much on it and accepts what is going on. Hawk on the other hand, is more familar since she lives there. Its like me telling my wife how hot my town gets in the summer time. Its kind of pointless since she's lived in El Paso longer than me. Talking about Avion's defenses and its ability to maintain its positive feel would have made better sense.

In the dialogues, I understand that you need to explain the characters, but the characters don't need to explain themselves that much in dialogues. A good combo of pictures and words can be very powerful. I'm just saying that the over-dialogue in the issues gets in the way of the action and emotion that can be expressed in the artwork. Finding the right balance makes smooth story telling and packs in more excitement.

I do say that the issues have been getting better. Its a tough thing doing comic books because of the balacing between visual and print. I do think that you and Emiliano are growing in leaps and bounds as artists. I'm sure as the best is yet to come. And I speak as a fan and avid comic book reader.
    You just read a post from the head Honcho of Nerds On A Couch!

CoOkIe KiNgPiN
    Something I noticed about the avions?(flying guys) is that all the men have red wings, & all the woman have brown. Is this something picked up from the cartoon? Allso I hope that female redhead gets a figure her as strato's 2nd in command I like

Whens #4 due out
    Need transformers[Crystal convoy,otfcc tigertron[others],X9ravage (open to any)! Ghostbusters firehouse misb, escaflowne figure, usagia yojimbo comics, tmnt comics, ghost busters comics

The Walking Dead #1-5[comics]

Evil Renegade Time Lord TheMaster's Avatar
    I just want to start off by saying that once again I loved the issue and that I can't wait for the next one.

Also I was thinking if Man-At-Arms is talking about Hordak when he said "He's coming " also the refernce to the rebels. And he also said "He-man will kill us all" probly talking about Faker ( here's hoping) maybe this time round Hordak makes Faker. But then I also have to ask myself when did He-man and Hordak come in contact with each other.

Just a thought but all in all awsome as always.
    help find a cure for Cystic Fibrosis

May is now National Cystic Fibrosis awareness Month

Inside the Sun lives the Ice People and Inside the Freezer lives the Fire Daemons!!!!!!

Just a City Boy, Born... He-Ant's Avatar
    Originally posted by Synch
    Whens #4 due out
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...threadid=30520
    He-Ant... the Most Powerful Skeletor Fan in the Universe

I think that issue 3 is the best issue thus far. I agree with most of the other posters about the parts they especially liked (Avion, Teela/Adam and Adam/Randor interaction) and have only a few other comments to make.

I didn't notice the change in artists. After some scrutiny and some hints from this thread I can see that Teela is drawn slightly differently in the balcony scene, but to me the continuity is virtually seemless and, I think, a credit to the artists for making it appear so.

The way the artists convey the characters' emotions is the best I have ever seen in a comic book (though I should say I'm not a big comic book reader anymore). Many comics I have read have had characters with impassive, inscrutable facial expressions, leaving the burden of showing emotion to the dialogue. Not so with the artists of MOTU. Consider all the emotions that cross Teela's face on the balcony. Disgust, anger, weariness and sadness, concern etc. All the other characters have been similarly well done. It's the small, subtle things like eyebrows and hands that put the art beyond most other comics.

A previous post in this thread mentioned something about changing costumes. That is something that I would like to see more of in the comic. Not permanent changes but temporary ones, depending on the circumstances, like Ram-man or the Sorceress or Evil-lyn momentarily without helmets or headdresses or characters in disguise.

One other thing I would like to see is more interaction between the characters and their environment. I want to see He-man's feet dig into the ground when he lifts a heavy burden, or make furrows when he has to stop a moving object. I want to see more dust, mud, water etc because sometimes the comic book has seemed a bit too sterile.

Those are my only comments. As I said before, this has been my favorite issue and I'm looking forward to #4.
    "Education makes a people easy to lead, but difficult to drive; easy to govern, but impossible to enslave."
    Lord Brougham 1778-1868

Dan-at-arms
    You know at first I was disappointed that man-at-arms returned within a few pages....but the emotional impact was there anyways. I liked the conversation with Adam and Teela... it showed that there is in fact a relationship with the two beyond her picking on him all the time.... not that I am pushing for romance but these two have to be close growing up together... I mean do they even have any other friends their own age..... is Man-at arms dillusional...maybe his mind wasn't put together right.... maybe he saw the future and its not He-man he is scared of but a bad descision He-man makes..... The bat people at the end made me think of Hordak personally..... Also I would hate to think that this whole build up is for faker..... I just never saw him as a major villian.... also I enjoyed the fact that skeletor is not around (although I would like to see him as a much more powerful and evil force).