Thread: "Quest for He-man" Official Classic Episode Review Thread!

"Quest for He-man" Official Classic Episode Review Thread!

hey guy's this week is EP # 23 "Quest for He-man" (Zodacs first appearance episode) YES..

Lets hear all you reviews.

Carlo

another week of another heman ep from filmation
    '

well i will say this is not one of my faves actually i think its subaverage

the only thing thats good bout the ep is how skeletor makes heman forget his memory.
    however then he sends heman to another world and he basically had story of heman trying to rid a planet in the end of polution which he later did.
    however the thing i didnt really like is the enemy of this world
    is a really annoying rabbit name pludarr (hmm i wonder if thats where the thundercats got the name of the mutants homeworld)
    however for his only appearence he really didnt do much except to make the world loose there animals however he was just not someone that u would be saying wow this person is really dangerous.

the only other thing i did like in the ep is that we see zodaks first appearence and yes he helped but he didnt do much though.

all in all the subpar ep that had a pretty decent first half and heman loosing his memory was given a 6 out of 10
    "always believe in yerself"
    dont be someone yer not

One of the best villains ever (Plundarr could wipe the floor with both new and Filmation Marzo at the same time) plus Orko shows his magic is stronger than the magic of Grayskull. One of the true classics.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Well, Plundor the Spoiler is a character that I always take with an ironic twist. He-Man forgetting memory is a subject made from classics. Though it might have been nice to see, what Skeletor did back in Eternia all this time (though in short cartoon, having a B-plot doesn´t work all that well).

Zodac´s appearance is a big plus to make this episode special.

Orko´s acting on the "By the Power of Grayskull"-scene is a jem, cause he puts lot of emotion to it. Though I wonder if Ram-Man realizes, that Cringer is no more, but instead there is Battlecat on this new world. And on top of that, the very ending scene cuts to planet Eternia, which is a big mistake to end the episode.

Nevertheless, I like this episode, cause I have many fond memories of it, and because it´s those few episodes that were dubbed in Finnish, so it adds something to my perspective (I´ve heard an english-soundclip of Orko saying magic words, hence my comment on that)

btw pH6: what do you mean that Orko´s magic is greater than Grayskull´s? All Orko does is make Trap-Jaw fire an "Bam"-flag (which is also a classic moment) The rest of the time, he depends on Zodac´s wand and hands a sword to this muscle-bound guy. Or are you referring to the end, that Orko possibly had done the dimension-portal back to Eternia?

Orko is able to displace a magical item enchanted by the Power of Grayskull.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Originally posted by pH6
    Orko is able to displace a magical item enchanted by the Power of Grayskull.
    ...the sword in his back-thingie? Didn´t he do that in "Island of Fear" as well?

(Though I assume the sword magically vanishes in Adam´s back, just like with Orko)

Although in Adam's case the sword does not disappear. He get's a duplicate!

But the very fact that Orko is able to wield the sword should be enough.

And Disappearing Act & Day of the Flowers show Orko with even more control over the sword.

2002/DC He-Man Video guy
    Originally posted by pH6
    But the very fact that Orko is able to wield the sword should be enough.

And Disappearing Act & Day of the Flowers show Orko with even more control over the sword.
    In the comics, it was a nice touch that nobody else could handle the Sword of Power unless the one it was destined. And yes, the vanishing in "Act" is great, it comes off not so well in "Flowers" (it´s a good thing the twins let their swords just there open wide).

what can i say about this..funny..but the best for me in this EP is ZODAC..yesss.

Chris here...

"Quest for He-Man" I think is a fun episode with a very good plot - obviously everyone remembers it for the rather (for want of a better expression) "trippy" images that turn up in there, but I personally find it more memorable for some great action sequences!

Zodac's appearance is the icing on the cake - overall I'd give the episode probably a 6.5 or maybe a 7 out of 10!

Take care...
    Part of the "Kidult" craze long before it was a thing! : )

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    (old thread... new review... you get the idea )

I've just reviewed "Evil-Lyn's Plot", which I'm not very keen on but others consider a classic. While I can at least see that there are elements to "Evil-Lyn's Plot" that make it popular, I just can't say the same for the horrible "Quest for He-Man". I'd personally rate it as one of the weakest from the generally very strong first season.

The episode starts promisingly enough, with two of my favourite characters - Trap Jaw and the criminally underused Tri-Klops - attacking the Royal Palace on Sky Sleds (in a scene suspiciously reminiscent of one from "Diamond Ray of Disappearance"). But from there, it's downhill all the way.

He-Man loosing his memory is always a good concept that should make a great story (it is done well in "A Tale of Two Cities"), but here I found the whole episode so unbearable that I didn't really care, and just wished the whole thing would hurry up and finish.

The cartoony world that He-Man is plunged into could have been done well, if it was done in a clever or ironic way, but in execution it's just done so... childishly. (Okay, I know, it's a children's cartoon, but so many of the other episodes have things that appeal to all ages).

I noticed that the portal into the Crossroads of All Universes looked notably like the portal from the classic (live action) 'Star Trek' episode 'This Side of Paradise'. Seeing as Filmation animated the Star Trek cartoon series in the 1970s, including a sequel to 'This Side of Paradise', I've wondered if this is a re-used design from there. I'll have to research that one.

One of the only positive aspects of the episode is Zodac's first appearance. He even gets to deliver the episode's moral.

Unusually, I can't remember what I thought of this particular episode as a kid, but if it seemed good back then, it certainly hasn't aged well.

However this episode made it onto the '10 Best' DVD (but something truly excellent like "The Dragon's Gift" didn't), I shall never know. As I think I've mentioned on another thread, I've even wondered if people got this episode mixed up with the similarly-titled but far better "Quest for the Sword".

One of my least-rewatched episodes of the entire series. Until recently I hadn't watched it for 6 or 7 years, I just couldn't face it! As I said at the top, I think I might even class this as the weakest episode of the first season (Am I really the only one?).
    4 out of 10. (Sorry, episode fans!)
    Last edited by Spacedust; August 14, 2006 at 08:02pm.
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Howdy

PLUNDOR THE SPOILER

How can you not love this ep.....best villian ever.

Oh and that Zpdac character...yeah pretty cool, shame though that his appearence is only secondary to the mighty Plundor.

Hey there should be Plundor smilies.

Chris M
    I have been honing my movie knowledge while I have been away and watching a lot. Best Picture winners left to watch: NONE. Films left to watch in Empire's 500 greatest films list: ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN

Lion_Heart
    come on guys leave plunder alone his just a rabbit trying to get out of a hat!!

I don't recall seeing this ep as a kid. In fact I don't recall seeing it until He-Man came out on DVD.

When I first viewed it, I was like, "What is this? He-Man gets transported to this Doctor Seuss world where he fights an evil rabbit? And what's with the environmentalism? When the heck did He-Man become Captain Planet?"

Now, there was one thing that really, really amazed me about this episode--seeing He-Man throw a roundhouse KICK. I mean, a KICK! He-Man NEVER kicks! He always punches the camera or something, but in this episode he destroys three robots in one of the most dynamic battles this show's budget would allow!

Yes, I get impressed over the silliest things, but it's just so great to see He-Man do something that affirms this show's greatness... once you think you know the formula, it suddenly does unexpected things like this and keeps it fresh.

Hun
    This is one of the most overrated episodes of season 1, along with evilseed. I don't understand how this made it to the top 5??? Paul Dini is my favourite He-Man writer but this is not his best episode.

Human... Robot... Maniac Spacedust's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hun
    This is one of the most overrated episodes of season 1, along with evilseed. I don't understand how this made it to the top 5??? Paul Dini is my favourite He-Man writer but this is not his best episode.
    I agree how overrated it is (although, I have to say, I love "Evilseed").
    As I've said a hundred times, how this tripe made it to the 10 Best DVD, but a true classic like "The Dragon's Gift" didn't, is crazy!

As discussed on another thread, it seems that many people at time of voting hadn't seen the episodes and voted going by how good they sounded by synopsis. It's ridiculous having people vote on something they haven't even seen.

It would have made much more sense if the 10 Best DVD had come out AFTER the season releases. Then fans could have voted on episodes they'd actually SEEN, and pull of the 10 Best could have been extra commentaries on the episodes or something. Of course, in reality, the 10 Best was probably released first to test how well they sold and if there was a marked for the season boxed setts, but it still seems silly...
    ~jay firestorm~
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/pj-firesto...id=p4340.l2562 FS: MIB first release Classics, MIB 200x, COMPLETE VINTAGE FIGURE SET, 2009 SDCC Art Book, more...

Quote Originally Posted by 8-Bit Star
    I don't recall seeing this ep as a kid. In fact I don't recall seeing it until He-Man came out on DVD.

When I first viewed it, I was like, "What is this? He-Man gets transported to this Doctor Seuss world where he fights an evil rabbit? And what's with the environmentalism? When the heck did He-Man become Captain Planet?"

Now, there was one thing that really, really amazed me about this episode--seeing He-Man throw a roundhouse KICK. I mean, a KICK! He-Man NEVER kicks! He always punches the camera or something, but in this episode he destroys three robots in one of the most dynamic battles this show's budget would allow!

Yes, I get impressed over the silliest things, but it's just so great to see He-Man do something that affirms this show's greatness... once you think you know the formula, it suddenly does unexpected things like this and keeps it fresh.
    He-Man made a kick in this episode? Wow.

Did he learn that from his sister?

In all seriousness, did they portray it like one of She-Ra's famous kicks?

I haven't seen this episode yet, but I suddenly want to watch it for that kick alone.
    "I'm not just crying for Hordak. I'm crying for the saddest thing I know - a wasted life. To be given that most precious gift - the gift of living, to do with as we choose. I'm crying, because this man has chosen to throw it away, and when he goes, nobody will care..." - She-Ra ( "My Friend, My Enemy")

I just finally made the effort to rewatch this episode. The only other time I saw it was during my childhood. Now in my adulthood I can honestly say there is not enough beer in the world to enable me to watch this again. Sorry that you were stuck in such an awful episode Zodac... from Paul Dini no less!

This bunny will forever be in my nightmares..