Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Power of Grayskull - Official Talkback Thread

that ep was awesome!

hordak was so cool! Castle Greyskull was awesome! it was so cool back then, and it was interesting how the abyss was created and the only reason that there is a place for the jaw-bridge is because Grayskull's sword's magic protected that piece of land.

This was a great ep. i didn't like the final showdown with skeletor and he-man. sure it served its purpose, but it was too rushed, and he-man with that stupid armour looked ridiculous in that scene.

oh well, great ep indeed!
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

Heroic Warrior Accident of Earth's Avatar
    A solid episode, overall. I commend the effort to tell a backstory, even if parts of it did feel contrived.

I agree the Snake armor at the end looked a little foolish, considering no snake threat was imminent.

I'd probably give this one an 8.5/10. Maybe even a 9, relative to most other episodes in the series.

- AoE

RichardX1
    Question: It's been a while since I saw the episode so I can't recall, did King Grayskull wear the Snake Armor in any scenes other than Adam's dream sequence?

Maximus
    No, just the dream sequence.

- Maximus

RichardX1
    Well, the dream sequence may have been Adam/He-Man-as-Grayskull, juxtaposing the two characters. Therefore, it's not historical canon that King Grayskull actually had a version of the Snake Armor unless he was shown wearing it in an actual portion of the flashback.

Originally posted by RichardX1
    Well, the dream sequence may have been Adam/He-Man-as-Grayskull, juxtaposing the two characters. Therefore, it's not historical canon that King Grayskull actually had a version of the Snake Armor unless he was shown wearing it in an actual portion of the flashback.
    actually i think it's safe to assume that grayskull actually did wear that suit. afterall, when he-man first got it, the sorceress said that power from the ages would reach out and help him upon his next transformation, or something like that.

and also when the sorceress appeared, she said it was more than just a dream. it was more of a vision than a dream.
    Last edited by PanMan; January 20, 2004 at 08:37pm.
    My name is Pan . . . and I am the Man.

FalconPain
    The Sorceress must be desperate to find something to do while she's all alone guarding Castle Grayskull. She's WATCHING ADAM'S DREAMS?

Maximus
    Falcon Pain -

If King Grayskull's spirit sends Adam a message of such importance (about Hordak returning) you can bet that the Sorceress is going to know about it!

- Maximus

Did any one notice that Hordak snorts?
    When Hordak tells Skeletor that he has to help him . .
    you can hear him snort. Like in PoP only more subtle.
    I don't remember him snorting much other times, but
    that one time I'm certain of.

In The Snake Men Army, serving King Hsss, planning to once again rule all of Eternia
    Originally posted by McHorde-Trooper
    Did any one notice that Hordak snorts?
    When Hordak tells Skeletor that he has to help him . .
    you can hear him snort. Like in PoP only more subtle.
    I don't remember him snorting much other times, but
    that one time I'm certain of.
    Yeah, I've noticed that, too! I like how he snorts, though!

Grayskull is tough. His lion is tough. But where were the to-be Council of Elders while they were kicking some Horde ass?

Horde beating SNAKE MEN? Bah. More human propaganda...

And to be honest: I'd rather have the snorting, than obsession with flowers or ripping off Transformers if they had to take one characteristic of Filmation Hordak into the new one.

Oracle seems like an interesting character. I suppose he could've lived to Eternia's current times. Maybe it was he who caused Adam to dream of Grayskull's age?

Skeletor did what he should. I'm only surprised He-Man didn't help him in the effort.
    "She-Ra, Princess of Power was no more. That had been the price of freedom."

Quote Originally Posted by pH6
    I'd rather have the snorting, than obsession with flowers or ripping off Transformers if they had to take one characteristic of Filmation Hordak into the new one.
    Well I think that the snorting sound in this episode sounds a hundered times better then in the Filmation cartoons. In fact I find that it sounds so cool that I already wouldn┤t want Hordak not to have it anymore.

Take care.

Casarbi
    Wonderful. The best episode of a failing series. Season 2 has been a mess, but this really stood out. Thought had been put into the story, and the elements were woven together so seamlessly. It was touching yet powerful. Greyskull's trial was nicely handled, was his battle against Hordak and finally Skeletor's confrontation with He-Man. A great story, one of the best in the series if not THE best. Shame it wasn't a consistent standard like this by season 2... maybe would have got a season 3...

. .
    And to be honest: I'd rather have the snorting, than obsession with flowers or ripping off Transformers if they had to take one characteristic of Filmation Hordak into the new one.
    . .
    I wasn't complaining about the snorting. I was just pointing it out.

Flowers? You mean the time Hordak captured Perfuma? That was hysterical,
    but it was just one episode. It was not a piece of Hordak's over all agenda.

What's that about ripping of Transformers?

- - -

I liked this episode a lot, but I thought:

Are you willing to die to win?
    I'm willing to die win.

I thought that was a bit over done.

The best part about it was the history, but I wish the history fit better with
    the other information from other episodes.

If you take the time to think about it you can make things fit, but on the
    surface of things the episode "The Void" seems to contradict this episode.

I still enjoy the King Grayskull story, but it could have been a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by McHorde-Trooper
    I wasn't complaining about the snorting. I was just pointing it out.

Flowers? You mean the time Hordak captured Perfuma? That was hysterical,
    but it was just one episode. It was not a piece of Hordak's over all agenda.

What's that about ripping of Transformers?
    I wasn't pointing it at you, it was a general statement.

What about the Day of the Flowers? Hordak making the most powerful war machines on Etheria to attack...exactly. Flowers.

Main character (or three if you also want to include Imp and Catra) that transform into something else, and in the case of Hordak and Imp, into mechanical devices? Minicomics Hordak worked a lot better.

I don't think the magic transformation thing was a Transformers rip-off.
    The closest MotU and PoP came to Transformer rip-off's was the meteors
    and the transforming weird little guy's (I don't remember the name.)
    Magical transformation during a fantasy series is nothing new.

Now that said I think PoP went way over board with the magic transformation
    thing. Keep in mind I do like PoP.

Catra was fine, one transformation and it makes sense in a fantasy genera.
    The mask like He-Man's sword changed her.

Imp, well he was a spy it make scene that he can disguise himself, after all the Horde didn't know what a gilly suit was (the sniper camouflage).

But Hordak . .

The arm canons were cool, but becoming a rocket and all those other things . . cheesy . .

She-Ra's sword transformation . . it could have been alright, but they over did it a bit, so it ended up being . . kind of cheesy . .

- - -

Hmm . . two examples of Hordak hating flowers . . out of how many episodes?

Oh well.

Hmm . . two examples of Hordak hating flowers . . out of how many episodes?

Oh well.
    Would you rather disguss about the Horde being incompetent fools for about 90 episodes instead? That aspect did come through pretty well also this time. Even though Hordak himself managed to kill Grayskull.

Actually I liked it when Hordak ordered the Monstroids to burn the flowers. Besides that great "You want the most powerful robots in the Universe to destroy FLOWERS?!" line, it would have destroyed the rebels' morale. Yes, Filmation defanged Hordak and the Horde. We can see him attacking flowers, but he leaves children and people fine and well. Real menacing. Sometimes it's hard to believe Filmation also used the Creeping Horak in "The Curse of the Spellstone." Obviously the new Hordak would still crush the flowers, but only as a final insult after burning down whole villages and roasting small children. Filmation at least gave Hordak a cool throne.

Would you rather disguss about the Horde being incompetent fools for about 90 episodes instead? That aspect did come through pretty well also this time. Even though Hordak himself managed to kill Grayskull.
    True the PoP Horde were incompetent most of the time.
    Years latter I've decided that Hordak was driven insane among other excuses.
    Some year I'll illustrate my vision of PoP Hordak and why he behaves as he
    does in a fan fic.

MYP Hordak is almost 100% different than Filmation Hordak.
    - - -

"The Curse of the Spellstone." I don't remember that off hand gbagok, but I can think of a few other times when PoP Hordak was actually vicious.

I can't forget the time he blew away one of his robot solders at close range.
    Sure they didn't show it in gory detail, but you could tell what happened.
    You could see the robot parts fly. And you knew Hordak's hand canon was
    pointed at the robot's head.

Hordak seen his fair share of people to the mines. He kidnapped baby Adora.
    Burned Eternian villages (I think).

"The Curse of the Spellstone." I don't remember that off hand gbagok, but I can think of a few other times when PoP Hordak was actually vicious.
    It was a He-Man episode if that helps. The Creeping Horak was some sort of tar-like organism that Evil-Lyn threw at the palace. It was to grow and grow until it crushed the building and everyone inside of it.

I remember Hordak was shown abusing his troops a lot, but that was always the comic relief. I can remember a few times the Horde threatened innocents, but it was no more intimidating than Gargamel threatening the Smurfs. Even at 10 I thought Hordak's big plan, to teleport the rebels to "The Land of the Lost" (alas, not the one with dinosaurs) was lame. And speaking of Adora, for someone raised by the EVIL Horde, she certainly didn't have the warped values she should have had. Don't get me wrong, I loved She-Ra. The Fright Zone and Horror Hall were very cool. I just think there's a lot they can improve upon. And they're off to a good start. Calix's demise wasn't comic relief.
    Last edited by gbagok; July 23, 2004 at 01:26pm.

hefan26

King Grayskull a very interesting episode

Last night Bommerang showed the King Grayskull episode I thought it was
    very interesting and to was it just me our did Cam Clarke make King Grayskull
    sound a lot like John Irwin's HE-MAN from the classic MOTU cartoon and to it
    was neat to see Hordak in this one to.I am very surprised they didn't bring
    She-RA into the new MOTU series they missed a golden opertunity to revisted
    another classic MOTU chracter.Anywho I thought it was funny that the oracle
    was one of orko's realitives but let me know if you guys noticed Cam Clarke
    sounding like John Irwin's verison of HE-MAN in this episode when he did
    King Grayskull thanks

***Please post in the correct forum***
    ***Please use the Search feature to find existing threads***

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Well apparently Hordak was supposed to escape from Despondos and be the main villain for season three and it was sugjested She-Ra would pop up eventually but sadly the series got canceled first.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Elder Councilman

Another MYP mirroring Filmation moment

Princess of Power had an episode called the Stone in the Sword; in it, Adora had to go thru some tests to prove she was worthy of having...well...the stone in her sword fixed.

Reminded me tremendously of the challenges King Grayskull went thru to get his sword back to take on--funny enough-- Hordak.

Seriously...watch the episode, and tell me a "Power of Grayskull" vibe doesn't go thru yer mind ':B-)
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

I remember this coming up on the Official Talkback thread in 2003/4. I totally agree, but I doubt they'd purposely ripped it off.

There ain't an original thought in the universe, after all.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - The Melog - Dylamug - Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina - the Twiggets - King Ahgo - Filmation Grizzlor, Mantenna, Leech, Modulok and Multi-Bot

I'm finally working my way through some of this series, and this was one I skimmed through, skipping the parts with Greyskull and his lion romping around. There was a beautiful music video made by a fan here at the .org set to the song called "Our Farewell" that really turned me on to this particular story in the He-Mythology. The episode doesn't quite live up to that music video, sadly, because of the same voice acting this show kept delivering, and the underwhelming music. Thankfully, the battle against Hordak was still suitably epic, and well animated.

I'll rewatch the whole thing and come back with more comments.

EDIT: So I just watched it with commentary, and learned about this whole notion of Skeletor having Hordak in his head throughout the course of the series. It's an element I wish they'd played up a little more in the earlier episodes, because the show wasn't as dynamic from a character standpoint as I think it could have been early on.

Next up - watching it through without commentary!
    Last edited by DisneyBoy; July 10, 2011 at 02:24pm.